Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business partner runs 2nd business.

Options
  • 08-05-2016 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

My business partner runs a 2nd business and I find they spend a good bit of the week doing duties for this 2nd business which means calls are constant and quotes are being done on our business time.

Anyone had a similar issue? any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

As long as they are fulling their duties then I see no problem but if their attention being on the other business is costing your business money then obviously it's time for it to be raised. This really should have been agreed upon whenever the second business was started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

+1 on jimmii's comment. You really need a shareholders' agreement. Company case law is written as a result of those saying "Shur we don't need one of them".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

IMO they are setting up a fall back incase your business venture doesnt do well or they are planning on leaving eventually. I know a few people who started a 'side line' business in while working for another company. Eventually most of them jumped ship and committed fully to their own business

Does this business have the potential to compete with your existing business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Did you write up a 'Partnership Agreement' upon starting your business?

If so this should specify, what his obligations are, and once he is fulfilling these, there is nothing to stop him operating a 2nd business.

Advertisement