Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Other Cars - Query

Options
  • 08-05-2016 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

I have my car insured with you and and have just studied (for the first time!) the booklet that you issue. Everything is more or less as I expected, except for one area:  "Driving other cars".  To be insured driving other cars, it says (among other things) that I must currently hold a full European Union Driving licence.  I just have a full Irish driving licence:  is that regarded as a full EU licence?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 235 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Sean

Poulgorm wrote: »
    I have my car insured with you and and have just studied (for the first time!) the booklet that you issue. Everything is more or less as I expected, except for one area:  "Driving other cars".  To be insured driving other cars, it says (among other things) that I must currently hold a full European Union Driving licence.  I just have a full Irish driving licence:  is that regarded as a full EU licence?
    Hi Poulgorm
    If you hold a full Irish or EU driving licence you may drive any other Private Motor Car which you do not own. Terms and conditions do apply which are confirmed in your policy booklet. Your Certificate of Motor Insurance will also state if you are covered for the driving of other cars. If you would like us to check this for you PM me with your policy details.
    Regards

Seán

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Hi Poulgorm
    If you hold a full Irish or EU driving licence you may drive any other Private Motor Car which you do not own. Terms and conditions do apply which are confirmed in your policy booklet. Your Certificate of Motor Insurance will also state if you are covered for the driving of other cars. If you would like us to check this for you PM me with your policy details.
    Regards

Seán
    Thanks for the info.  I am insured driving other cars (subject to conditions, of course):  it's just that the insurance document says that I have to have a full EU licence to do so:  it makes no mention of an Irish driving licence.

Refer to Section 2 of your document:  Driving other cars:  Point 2:  "you currently hold a full European Union (EU) licence".

Maybe Liberty might consider amending that paragraph to also include a full Irish licence.

Based on the document as it is currently worded, it would seem that I am not insured driving other cars, as my driving licence is just an Irish one, rather than an EU one.

Hi Poulgorm
    Regards

Seán
    Thanks for the info.  I am insured driving other cars (subject to conditions, of course):  it's just that the insurance document says that I have to have a full EU licence to do so:  it makes no mention of an Irish driving licence.

Refer to Section 2 of your document:  Driving other cars:  Point 2:  "you currently hold a full European Union (EU) licence".

Maybe Liberty might consider amending that paragraph to also include a full Irish licence.

Based on the document as it is currently worded, it would seem that I am not insured driving other cars, as my driving licence is just an Irish one, rather than an EU one.
    Hi Poulgorm
    Thanks for your feedback I will pass this on to the relevant department. I can confirm if you hold a full Irish licence we would cover you for the driving of other private cars. If you need any further help please let us know.
    Seán

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Hi Poulgorm
    Regards

Seán

Poulgorm, EU licence is just a licence issued in one of EU countries.
    And as Ireland is EU country, then you Irish Licence is also EU licence.

There's nothing unclear about it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Danielp123

Hi Poulgorm
    Regards

Seán

Hi Poulgorm
    Thanks for your feedback I will pass this on to the relevant department. I can confirm if you hold a full Irish licence we would cover you for the driving of other private cars. If you need any further help please let us know.
    Seán
    Please can someone tell me if driving other cars is a feature of fully comp only or is it covered in third party f&t also?
    thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

Danielp123 wrote: »
    Please can someone tell me if driving other cars is a feature of fully comp only or is it covered in third party f&t also?
    thanks!

Usually only in fully comp AND be aware that the cover while driving said car is usually third party only; your "comp" has essentially stayed with your own car.

Hi Poulgorm
    Regards

Seán

Hi Poulgorm
    Seán
    thanks!
    Hi Danielp123
    We offer the extension for driving other cars on both our Comprehensive and Third Party Fire and Theft policies. While driving the other car you would have Third Party Only cover. Hope this helps.
    Regards

Seán

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Danielp123

Hi Poulgorm
    Regards

Seán

Hi Poulgorm
    Seán
    thanks!
    Hi Danielp123
    We offer the extension for driving other cars on both our Comprehensive and Third Party Fire and Theft policies. While driving the other car you would have Third Party Only cover. Hope this helps.
    Regards

Seán
    Thanks, i just purchased my policy and the call centre operator told me this was already a part of my policy.

Advertisement