Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Every Summer, Ronaldo.

gullible

there'll be no Ronaldo, all this is missing is a "only god knows the future" quote from him.

it's almost a "this year is our year" thing at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I'd happiy take 8 tight games and 30 entertaining games over 76 games of complete and utter crap.

Lets not Forget that in Europe Fergie loved setting up defensively as well with his 4-5-1

no comparison between styles of football of fergie and mourinho... who can forget the night we played Roma and most pundits predicted a Roma win..... 7-1

going away to Juventus and winning 3-0

beating arsenal 8-2 and 6-1. great times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'd happiy take 8 tight games and 30 entertaining games over 76 games of complete and utter crap.

Indeed. Look at those stats again and they tell you that Jose beat United, Liverpool and Arsenal on the way to the title. Or that he didn't lose a game to any of United, Liverpool, City or Arsenal on his way to winning the title.

I don't believe its 100% accurate that Jose only parks the bus in big games, plenty of examples where he didn't, but even if it was true you know what, I'll take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I would concede this if there were no data points in the interim, but there was a record fee in 2014 that didn't fit the graph. :P And since I expect you came up with this post 2009 and made it fit the existing data, I am not convinced of its predictive power.

I'd answer that in two ways. Firstly, the record is based on pound sterling prices and UK inflation rates and Suarez doesn't fit the bill. Secondly, with the increased money in the market, as I've said, the graph might fu­ck up and you could get a middling player push over the record out of kilter with the rest.

What it really predicts is that Messi is worth 120M today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I previously did an analysis of the record transfer fees by year and plotted them on a log scale. The inflation adjusted formula is y=0.0268x-45.946 with an R squared value of 0.9816. y is the log value and x is the year.

As an example, for 2009, you get y=0.0268(2009)-45.946 => 7.8952
    10^7.8952 = £78.5M, Ronnie sold that year for 80M. This predicts a transfer record fee this year of 120M, 50% higher.

This only looks at transfer record fees so doesn't account for prices of players in general so it's only an indication. However, it does show 80M today is like spending 50M in 2009 which is reportedly what we spent on Tevez in 2009. Ronaldo for Tevez prices.
    I would concede this if there were no data points in the interim, but there was a record fee in 2014 that didn't fit the graph. :P And since I expect you came up with this post 2009 and made it fit the existing data, I am not convinced of its predictive power.

386854.PNG

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote: »
    2n24p3k.gif

Is that you Rachel???

Nope, geeky but not sexy
    not even close to making the 5 a side
    that's geeky like Sheldons missus in TBBT....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Scholes has been talking about the Giggs situation

"I’ve not spoken to him for a few days but hopefully he will still be involved.
    He’s got great experience, he knows the club inside out. I think everybody involved with the club and the fans especially would love him to be involved in some way – whether it is assistant or just helping him [Mourinho] being around the place.
    He has been there for nearly 30 years now, he knows the players, he knows what type of football is expected and hopefully he can be of assistance somehow."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mourinho-manchester-united-updates-live-11381424

Id love to know where he got that idea, since he hasnt been much assistance at all while part of two failed management teams.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

brinty wrote: »
    Nope, geeky but not sexy

Eh... How do you know Michael D is not sexy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

jayo26 wrote: »
    Over reaction much? I have no problem with giggs staying around id love to see him taking over the u21 if joyce leaves then we see how he gets on if he does well he will be offered a decent job with another club and he cqn go prove himself.

Not really, Scholes implied fans would love him as a assistant or part of Mourinho's staff. He can manage the U21s all he likes and I would wish him well.

It's the fact that he's hanging around in a 1st team coaching (Moyes) or assistant manager (LvG) role like he's just waiting to be handed the job, he can go to something else and if he's successful then he may have the experience to become Utd manager. I really just don't agree with the idea that because he has been playing and with the club for x amount of years that it automatically makes him the perfect fit to be the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

MI+Michael-D-Higgins.jpg

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    Nope, geeky but not sexy

Prefer Rachel to Amy any day!

With a name like Michael D hardly sounds suitable for our ladies team...

Now maybe Michelle D would suit our team ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I wish they'd move this along so Ed can get going on some 'urgent transfer business'.

No surprise Scholesy speaking up for his mate but Giggs has had all the same qualities for the last three years and it hasn't looked like it's had any positive effect on the teams he been associated with. What the point of him knowing what kind of football the fans want to see if he's unable to convince the manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The devil in me really wants the club to announce someone else as manager, completely out of left field.

tumblr_m2wbwkc84x1ru37dno1_500.gif

The devil in me really wants the club to announce someone else as manager, completely out of left field.

tumblr_m2wbwkc84x1ru37dno1_500.gif

you're all over the gifs today mate... loving it

Jose be like
    th?&id=OIP.M816c67a2ed37ce523768f8f6beee65afo2&w=300&h=284&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

bangkok wrote: »
    no comparison between styles of football of fergie and mourinho... who can forget the night we played Roma and most pundits predicted a Roma win..... 7-1

going away to Juventus and winning 3-0

beating arsenal 8-2 and 6-1. great times

And between that there is plenty of 1-0 and 2-0 wins. You seem to miss the point people try and make, take their statements and go on a complete tangent with a reply that completed polevaults over the original point.

My point, and I'll break it down in a granular level for you, is that Mourinho parks the bus when the opposition dictate it necessary. He also plays expansive football when the opposition allows for it, something Ferguson started to do latter in his career. This is proven by his goal scoring record being 75% greater than Manchester United "UNDER FERGUSON" while he was in the league.

He holds the record for most goals scored in a season in multiple leagues, this does not happen when you're a conservative manager.

Before last season when Chelsea threw in the towel out of 40 league games against Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City and Arsenal, Mourinho has lost just three times Thats just utterly incredible and a statistic any manger in the league would envy.

I dont know how people can gloss over hard statistics and facts for a minute percentage of games played that may not be pleasing on the eye but entail a highly effective strategy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Juventus seem to be openly chasing Darmian at the moment, but facing resistance from United who don't want to sell. Given they quoted €150m for Alex Sandro and Pogba, each, they can **** off for all I care.

Meanwhile, Griezmann's agent has seen a chance to increase his client's wage, I guess. "Antoine Griezmann is listening to approaches from multiple clubs & has not made a decision on his future" as per his agent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I saw on SS yesterday that Jose has the best PPG record of any manager in PL history, about .02 ahead of Fergie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

i dont think it would be.

Chelsea sold Lukaku for 27m and talk they will buy him back for 65m, i wouldnt consider that an embarressment, its the going rate for the player.

80m for Ronaldo is probably over paying by 10-15m but it would be far from an embarrassment.

Imagine this next season. give him back the no7 as well

Cristiano_Ronaldo_512589a.jpg

It's embarrassing to me because they would be selling him back to us for the same fee they obtained him for after getting the very best years of his career.
    Lukaku situation is completely different.

I'd have no problem if we stumped up a fortune for Pogba and he was let go for next to nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Juventus seem to be openly chasing Darmian at the moment, but facing resistance from United who don't want to sell. Given they quoted €150m for Alex Sandro and Pogba, each, they can **** off for all I care.

Meanwhile, Griezmann's agent has seen a chance to increase his client's wage, I guess. "Antoine Griezmann is listening to approaches from multiple clubs & has not made a decision on his future" as per his agent.

Sure the egg boiling classes alone for Darmian are probably expensive enough :p

If Darmian can be used as part exchange for Pogba I could live with it tbh...

• Advertisement

I saw on SS yesterday that Jose has the best PPG record of any manager in PL history, about .02 ahead of Fergie.

And that's including last seasons shambolic opening.

Liam O wrote: »
    Sure the egg boiling classes alone for Darmian are probably expensive enough :p

Was he the one that couldn't boil an egg? :eek:

I'd want to keep Darmian, I think there is a very good player there, I'm really looking forward to seeing what the likes of him, Herrera and Scheiderlin can do under a better manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Well, according to the Sun anyway. So it's hard to be sure :pac:

Well, according to the Sun anyway. So it's hard to be sure :pac:

That's true, the article I read didn't name the player (probably adding to the mystery :p) That's hilarious. Surely someone would just buy the poor guy an egg timer and show him how to boil a kettle!

It's probably complete lies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Who cares what he would cost ffs? United won't pay what they cannot afford.

I do remember himself and Jose having a topsy turvy relationship but he was quoted last year in Marca as saying:

"Work with Mourinho again? Why not? I've got two more years on my contract with Real Madrid, but no-one knows what the future holds."

At the time Jose was at Chelsea so it remains to be seen if he still holds that opinion with no CL football on offer.

That could have been more down to being Italian than a footballer. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Who cares what he would cost ffs? United won't pay what they cannot afford.

I do remember himself and Jose having a topsy turvy relationship but he was quoted last year in Marca as saying:

"Work with Mourinho again? Why not? I've got two more years on my contract with Real Madrid, but no-one knows what the future holds."

At the time Jose was at Chelsea so it remains to be seen if he still holds that opinion with no CL football on offer.

Clubs are aware that with the new TV rights premier league teams have cash to blow in money rights alone never mind what they make off the field in sponsorship. This seasons bottom team will earn over 100Million in TV Money more than the winners of this year. that just mental. It means team in England do not need to sell any more and can hold out on massively inflated price to improve their books. Spurs are a prime example, they used to be seen as a big selling club, I don't think they will any more and with the exception of Bale I cant remember the last time they let a good asset go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Few reports going around Twitter that if Ibra comes in he will get the number 9 & Martial will take the number 7

Antibac wrote: »
    Few reports going around Twitter that if Ibra comes in he will get the number 9 & Martial will take the number 7

And Memphis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

And Memphis?

Gone

i dont think Jose will have memphis there next year

And Memphis?

He can take 7 from Shane Long :D

I jest, I hope he's gets a chance under Jose

He should be given a chance. He undoubtedly has talent and there would be a massive loss on the transfer fee. May as well just give him another season and see what happens.

And Memphis?

memphis can drive off into the sunset in his rolls royce

• Advertisement

Antibac wrote: »

Sure why would Martial get 7 with Ronaldo coming back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

memphis can drive off into the sunset in his rolls royce

I can't see Jose putting up with him too long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Johner wrote: »
    I can't see Jose putting up with him too long!

Every manager believes they can make a troubled player great.

Hazard was a jewel waiting to be moulded until he arrived at Chelsea.

I'd imagine rather than wanting to get rid, he will surely want to get his hands on him and mold him into his Uniteds Hazard. Of which Memphis can undoubtably do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

He should be given a chance. He undoubtedly has talent and there would be a massive loss on the transfer fee. May as well just give him another season and see what happens.

Absolutely. People are way too quick to judge on a debut season in a new league when we were poor in many other respects, with a manager nearly every fan believes was doing a poor job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

TheDoc wrote:
    I'd imagine rather than wanting to get rid, he will surely want to get his hands on him and mold him into his Uniteds Hazard. Of which Memphis can undoubtably do.

Agreed. Think he could flourish under Mourinho, but will have to be willing to work hard, or he's gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

And Memphis?

Give him a different number and tell him the pressure is off him, or give Martial or Memphis 11 when Adnan leaves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

TheDoc wrote: »
    Every manager believes they can make a troubled player great.

Hazard was a jewel waiting to be moulded until he arrived at Chelsea.

I'm sure he'll get his chance to step up and prove himself, but I'm not sure he has the right attitude though but we'll see. Maybe he'll thrive under Jose but if he's not pulling his weight he won't last long under him.

i would give Memphis another year, but whatever about a player missing a shot or a poor pass, nothing can be said for not trying. His attitude stinks.

i would give Memphis another year, but whatever about a player missing a shot or a poor pass, nothing can be said for not trying. His attitude stinks.

I think his attitude came from his feelings towards the manager. Some people can be professional and ignore the fact they don't like their boss but others let it eat away at them and it rightly or wrongly it does affect their performance. Its an emotional response, and if that is the case and if Mourinho knows how to handle him correctly we could see a very different player.

Van Gaals problem is that he was too inflexible, it was his way or the high way. But I think Jose will be more realistic, he will be tough but he knows how to put an arm around the shoulder as well and give a little leeway in the right places, just as Fergie did plenty of times.

Depay could turn out to be another Ryan Babel but just as with the likes of Darmian and Herrera, I think its worth giving him another shot under different circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Memphis wasn't too bad at the start of the season, it just went downhill as season progressed.

I'd be hopeful that nearly everyone will get a chance at fresh start with Mourinho ...except Mata I think he's a goner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

And Memphis?

Wasn't mentioned.
    Seems to be coming from an article for the Sun- so it's probably crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Every Summer, Ronaldo.

gullible

there'll be no Ronaldo, all this is missing is a "only god knows the future" quote from him.

it's almost a "this year is our year" thing at this stage

Along with the Garay/Schneider/Gaitain rumours and the "who cares that X costs £100m, we'll get that back in merchandising" chestnut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

paulbok wrote: »
    Along with the Garay/Schneider/Gaitain rumours and the "who cares that X costs £100m, we'll get that back in merchandising" chestnut.

Looks like Gaitan is off to Atletico so you can scratch that one off the list.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement