Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Ibrahimovic’s preference would be to join United and there have been contact between the two parties, but neither side are in a rush to sign anything for the time being. Ibrahimovic’s agent, Mino Raiola, has told United that Ibrahimovic will want at least in the region of £220,000-a-week to sign for the club.

Age 34. Jog on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Aidric wrote: »
    Age 34. Jog on.

220k with no transfer fee? guaranteed goals for 2 years?

I'd make Paddy Crerand go over give him a piggy back to OT for those wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I think Hodgson should definitely take Rashford to the Euros. The fact that he's a forward and has scored goals isn't the only thing that should be looked at. He's been very impressive when he's drifted out on the wing. He's well able to take on a man and link up play, that backheel flick that set up Fellaini in the cup final was outstanding. I could see him having a big impact coming on for England on the right wing (or even starting there tbh).

It's something England could really use. The only tricky, speedy winger they have that's decent is Sterling and he's been off form for months now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Why are most people putting Rooney in at midfield in the new look team?

:confused:

He is a striker that has been fannied around first by Moyes then by LVG.

I'd love to see him get a crack as an actual striker under Jose.

Let him shyt or get off the pot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

My united team for next season. All players I think will be available this summer. Probably end up with none of them :pac:

LINEUP111464208277094_zpsfsiormcv.png

• Advertisement

Because he's said he sees himself in a midfield role going forward and he's looked pretty good in a few of the games he's played there. I think I've always seen him move into midfield eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Jayop wrote: »
    Because he's said he sees himself in a midfield role going forward and he's looked pretty good in a few of the games he's played there. I think I've always seen him move into midfield eventually.

He looked good against Palace and Bournemouth. He was out of his depth in the West Ham game and would most likely suffer the same fate against any half decent midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭billyhead

True. Although not as good as the ginger prince he has similar attributes in terms of his passing ability, shooting and work rate. I think Mourinho was always a fan of him so can see him starting games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Well he spent most of last season being shyt so I guess its time to get off the pot.

Why are people not putting him as a CF? Because we have two more talented CF in the squad already.

The real question is why are people insisting on shoehorning him into a midfield role when there are better alternatives available? Fair enough last season we were stuck due to the dross that was the midfield, but why would anybody think we should continue on with Rooney in midfield?

Fine, he had a decent 20 minutes towards the end of the final, but lest we forget we were playing Crystal Palace not fecking Munich, if he can't do something against a tiring inferior team well there really is no hope.

Without doubt he's need a lot of work on his midfield play if he was going to go there. Tactical discipline being the main thing he's missing now for the role I think.

• Advertisement

Players don't dictate where they play though, particularly when they have been mainly ineffective in a position they allegedly prefer.

Players don't dictate where they play though, particularly when they have been mainly ineffective in a position they allegedly prefer.

I don't know if he's been mainly ineffective in midfield. Wide midfield he was excellent early in his career and he had a few stunning games and a few average ones last year in CM.

Look, if you're going to judge players on their performances over the last 3 seasons then we'd be left with a thin squad to choose from. You've got to hope that with Jose we're going to get improved performances across the board and with more time in a position I think Rooney will get much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

My united team for next season. All players I think will be available this summer. Probably end up with none of them :pac:

LINEUP111464208277094_zpsfsiormcv.png

I like the Look of that team apart from that guy playing the no 10? Who is this ZALTAN you speak of?! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Hopefully tye manager situation will be resolved by tomorrow id reckon we will end up paying Chelsea to buy the rights to his name ita stupid really for a manager they sacked but I suppose it wouldnt be united if it went smooth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Pinging the same crossfield ball into 20 yards of space does not make Rooney a midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

bangkok wrote: »
    I like the Look of that team apart from that guy playing the no 10? Who is this ZALTAN you speak of?! :)

Ah close enough 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

https://twitter.com/TelegraphDucker/status/735573312080871425

I was fixing a link for the poster (alchemist33 I think) who made a right mangled job of linking the tweet and then he deleted it!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The start of José's reign edges closer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Godot. wrote: »
    Can anyone make a realistic XI for next season without including players that are currently at Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich or PSG?

Also, bear in mind Griezmann is close to renewing his contract

De Gea
    ----Smalling
    Jones----
    -Darmian
    Shaw-
    Fellaini
    ---Herrera
    Schneiderlin-
    -Young
    Martial-
    Rooney

There were too many exceptions so I panicked and just used players I was reasonably sure would be at the club next season.

De Gea
    ----Smalling
    Jones----
    -Darmian
    Shaw-
    Fellaini
    ---Herrera
    Schneiderlin-
    -Young
    Martial-
    Rooney

There were too many exceptions so I panicked and just used players I was reasonably sure would be at the club next season.

OOOOOOOOOO Max straight off Bangkoks christmas card list....

Lads what else was Rooney going to say when he was been kept out of the strikers spot by an 18 year old.. Prob his best shot at starting for England aswell...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

OOOOOOOOOO Max straight off Bangkoks christmas card list....

Max has never been on bangklok's Christmas card list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Mars Bar wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/TelegraphDucker/status/735573312080871425

I was fixing a link for the poster (alchemist33 I think) who made a right mangled job of linking the tweet and then he deleted it!

I deleted it in about two seconds. How did you know?!?! :eek:

But thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Mourinho is expected to be announced as manager tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Apparently Ancelotti wants Pjanic but he must see there will be a lack of playing time there, would love to sign him. Kante too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

F5 is getting warn out at this stage !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I think we all expected it by then.

2Wyuww4.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Ita not really breaking news they been saying that all week really.

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    Mourinho is expected to be announced as manager tomorrow.

Sky are saying Friday.. If you wait another hour and re post that it will be true... :)

Sky are saying Friday.. If you wait another hour and re post that it will be true... :)

They actually said "by Friday," which only leaves tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lord TSC wrote:
    NSFW gifs of scantily clad women WILL be carded.

So when Jose gets announced are we allowed to post clothed ladies who are suitable for work being all suggestive ????

I know you've a stash of them TSC
    Winky smiley face

Anyways no need to be excited,we were told it would be this week so SSN with their breaking stories can funk right off ...
    It's not breaking news at all ...

Their off my Christmas card just for sure ....

They actually said "by Friday," which only leaves tomorrow.

Close of business Friday the article says

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

So if Manolas happens he would be the first Greek player ever to play for UTD right? Checked here to confirm so I think he would

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_Premier_League_players#Greece

Close of business Friday the article says

That's what I get for only reading the tweet. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Sky Sports Breaking News:

Sky sources understand that something will happen at sometime. It is understood X is meant to do Y at Z time before we pull a fact out of our arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

Apparently Ancelotti wants Pjanic but he must see there will be a lack of playing time there, would love to sign him. Kante too

Kante would be a good signing. Jose loves a player like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

He looked good against Palace and Bournemouth. He was out of his depth in the West Ham game and would most likely suffer the same fate against any half decent midfield.

And yet he was by far and away our best midfielder than night.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Rojiblancos

More excited about the possibility of zlatan over anything else

And yet he was by far and away our best midfielder than night.

Rooney isn't a central midfielder. He isn't good enough to be first choice there. Give him the space that Palace and Bournemouth did and he'll spray Hollywood balls around like there's no tomorrow alright. It's like he thinks that's what a CM is for.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

If Rooney is finished as a striker for manutd then I think hes finished full stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Getting linked with Willian this morning for £60m. Obvious link for the papers to write about as he was the only Chelsea player who you could say looked to be playing for Jose right until the end. And we need a right winger ourselves. I highly doubt Chelsea will sell us their best player from last season (Mata was a special circumstance obviously) and with Conte playing a 3-5-2 Willian you could say is probably the perfect type of player for someone to play on the right of the 5 man midfield.

We've been linked with Saul this morning for £54m too and we were linked with him in January too, I doubt he'd leave Atleti myself but maybe money could talk in this one, Seen him play loads of times as I'd say most have, I'd love us to sign him, seems the exact type of player Jose would want too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Odgen is saying that it's happening today..

https://twitter.com/MarkOgden_/status/735703770168885248

Juan8 wrote: »
    We've been linked with Saul this morning for £54m too and we were linked with him in January too.

I'm very happy where I am but of course in your career you want to work with the great managers and Jose Mourinho is one of the greatest.

But I have a contract with my employer in this moment.

In the future, only God knows what will happen.

:cool:

• In my opinion we have to buy a striker - we have been short up front all season. Ibrahimovic would likely be a better option to not impede the development of either Martial or Rashford.

It would be insane to not buy a forward just because of Rashford. the kid is 18.

Why so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Juan8 wrote: »
    Getting linked with Willian this morning for £60m. Obvious link for the papers to write about as he was the only Chelsea player who you could say looked to be playing for Jose right until the end. And we need a right winger ourselves. I highly doubt Chelsea will sell us their best player from last season (Mata was a special circumstance obviously) and with Conte playing a 3-5-2 Willian you could say is probably the perfect type of player for someone to play on the right of the 5 man midfield.

We've been linked with Saul this morning for £54m too and we were linked with him in January too, I doubt he'd leave Atleti myself but maybe money could talk in this one, Seen him play loads of times as I'd say most have, I'd love us to sign him, seems the exact type of player Jose would want too.

If Willian is worth £60m it's going to be a long summer. Saul would be a good signing alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

With transfer speculation now hotting up, would many people agree with my view that the club should focus on trying to sign the best British players available? The problem with bringing in a big name from overseas it the worry that in a few years they'll have their head turned by Real, Barca, Bayern etc. But if you buy a top quality British player, not only are you potentially weakening a rival, you are also possibly signing a player who could stay with the club for the next 10 - 15 years.

This summer I'd love to see the club do absolutely everything in its power to sign Gareth Bale. He's exactly the type of player Utd need. And looking ahead to the summer of 2017 I'd have Harry Kane as number 1 target. The hope here is with the influx of top quality managers to the Premier League, assuming Utd return to the Champions League and Spurs drop down the table, Kane might feel its the right time to move on.

Imagine starting the 2017/18 season with a front 3 of Martial - Kane - Bale. And thats not even considering Rashford who should also be challenging for a place in the starting 11!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

With transfer speculation now hotting up, would many people agree with my view that the club should focus on trying to sign the best British players available?

No, get the best players from wherever. Or more importantly, get the right players.

Worth noting though that I think in 5/6 years the pendulum of prestige will have swung back to the Premier league in a big way and the trend of top players going to Spain won't be as significant a factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    If Willian is worth £60m it's going to be a long summer. Saul would be a good signing alright.

Not a chance is he worth twice as much as Chelsea paid for him, I'm a big fan of Willian but thats too much for a player who doesn't really change games,

I agree with the other poster about buying the best British players and have always thought it, With Ibra looking like he's coming and Martial and Rashford already here though I doubt Kane is a target

I like John Stones but at the price he'd cost I'm not convinced, We've been linked with Manolas and I'd rather him

Sterlings gone to City and we never could have signed him off Liverpool anyway and I don't think Barkley has shown enough yet to command the fee Everton would want.

Dele Alli is the one we should be going for but it would take a massive fee that i can't see happening, In hindsight how Spurs were able to get him with no competition is a mystery in itself. I'd heard of him and seen clips when he was at MK Dons but never knew he was as good as he is, Maybe because of how Nick Powell turned out and the lack of players coming out of lower leagues lately going on to do anything noteworth put them off, thats literally the only logical explanation I can think of

All in all with Shaw, Rashford, Smalling and maybe Borthwick Jackson we're doing alright with English talent, I can't think of anyone else i'd be too fussed on adding bar Kane, Alli and obviously Bale who I can't see leaving Madrid this summer, If it's possible though we should throw everything at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,661 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

This summer I'd love to see the club do absolutely everything in its power to sign Gareth Bale. He's exactly the type of player Utd need.

I can't see Bale leaving Real any time soon.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement