Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Why so?

By the time he's left Martial and Rashford would only be 22 and 20 and would probably be ready to lead the line themselves, They're too young to put complete faith in to lead the line, For me Ibra is the perfect signing as he looks as good as ever and would only want 2 years max, By the time he leaves they'll be ready compared to if we bought Kane for example who'd be here for the long term. He's going on a free too which helps compared to spending £70/£80m on Kane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Why so?

Becuase he is 34. He isn't going to be playing every single game and won't be around in 4 years time (like Benzema, or that Dortmund fella whose name I'm not going to attempt right now would be). As a short term signing he would take immediate pressure off Martial and, particularly, Rashford to perform in the short term and not be a block on a position up front longer term. If you sign Kane, you are building your attack around him for the best part of the decade to come - that would likely have more of an impact of the development of any other forward, imo. Not that I would be complaining if we signed Kane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭weisses

Besides being part of a slecht group of top strikers, Ibra could be good for the dressing room as well ... The young lads need someone to look up to and believe me he fits that bill ... Would be an utter waste seeing him play in the MLS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

weisses wrote: »
    Besides being part of a slecht group of top strikers, Ibra could be good for the dressing room as well ... The young lads need someone to look up to and believe me he fits that bill ... Would be an utter waste seeing him play in the MLS

I don't think thats something he's known to be great at tbh

http://www.espnfc.com/paris-saint-germain/story/2773136/zlatan-ibrahimovic-only-cares-about-himself-kingsley-coman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

No, get the best players from wherever. Or more importantly, get the right players.

Worth noting though that I think in 5/6 years the pendulum of prestige will have swung back to the Premier league in a big way and the trend of top players going to Spain won't be as significant a factor.

You could argue that Bale is the right player and one of the very best in the world. Being British I think just gives you more confidence that the long term future of the player is with Utd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I'm very positive about this summer but I could do without the Bale, Neymar and Ronaldo nonsense just for one transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I think Utd are going to struggle in the transfer market this summer. Getting Jose on board is a big plus, but lack of CL football is a major negative for the biggest players. Why would any players leave any CL placed team to come to Utd this summer.

Kane, Bale, Kante, Pogba. All of them have CL football next year, we can only offer them EL and a fight for the top four.

When we last missed out we had the financial power to get some key players, but we only got ADM because PSG couldn't buy him. Falcao would have gone anywhere to try to get a game, Monaco were desperate to shift him off the books. This year, every team in the EPL has massive financial resources.

I think Jose needs to ensure DDG stays, gets Morgan back to his best, get the team playing properly and with Shaw back we should have more than enough to get back in contention without plashing out on overpriced mediocre or unwanted players. Get back in the CL next year then go all out to get the top players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

De Gea
    ----Smalling
    Jones----
    -Darmian
    Shaw-
    Fellaini
    ---Herrera
    Schneiderlin-
    -Young
    Martial-
    Rooney

There were too many exceptions so I panicked and just used players I was reasonably sure would be at the club next season.

While that looks a good team on paper, Schneiderlin and Herrera have been absolutely terrible together. One of the worst midfield duos I've seen at United. Massive gaps in the middle everytime they played together and both constantly seemed to be lacking fitness.

I wouldn't mind seeing Blind behind Herrera and Fellaini but I think it's reasonably assured that a new CM will be signed. Though Schweinsteiger will hopefully be back and invigorated next season. Really think he would have pushed the team over the CL line in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Saul only signed a new 5 year contract 2 weeks ago so i cant see us signing him.

also, seeing Ronaldo's comments yesterday i think there is no chance of him ever coming back to play for United or ever working under Jose again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,661 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Liam O wrote: »
    Though Schweinsteiger will hopefully be back and invigorated next season.

For all 6 of the games he won't be injured for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Rooney is not a midfielder nor will he ever be a midfielder. If he's not playing at #9... or detestably at #10, then he should not be on the pitch, and realistically given his recent form, I'd rather he warms the bench and helps the young lads settle in for some longevity.

Form is temporary, class is permanent, but a 31 year old Rooney next season is on his way out, imo.

we cannot afford to let rooney go this summer, for a player who was meant to have a poor season and played the majority of his games in midfielder/no10, to score 15 goals isnt a bad return. there is def a place for him on the starting 11 no question

Balague this morning.....

Full agreement between Mascherano and Juventus. Now clubs have to agree a fee

After flirting all season with PSG (incl. private agreement), CR7 won't take step. After failing to find replacement, RM will renew contract

Gareth Bale feels he is respected by everyone at the club. His renewal is being negotiated. Both club and him want him to stay put

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You could argue that Bale is the right player and one of the very best in the world. Being British I think just gives you more confidence that the long term future of the player is with Utd.

I'd be delighted to get Bale, I was speaking in more general terms.

Still, I don't think we'd get him anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

While that looks a good team on paper, Schneiderlin and Herrera have been absolutely terrible together. One of the worst midfield duos I've seen at United. Massive gaps in the middle everytime they played together and both constantly seemed to be lacking fitness.

I wouldn't mind seeing Blind behind Herrera and Fellaini but I think it's reasonably assured that a new CM will be signed. Though Schweinsteiger will hopefully be back and invigorated next season. Really think he would have pushed the team over the CL line in the league.

Aye, valid points. It's not my dream XI or anything though, I was specifically trying to make a team out of players I was reasonably confident would still be at the club. I would be less sure about the likes of Blind, Schweinsteiger, Mata, Rojo, Carrick and Memphis surviving the summer. Which is not say that I think all of them should or will go either.

Basically just having a little fun trying to predict who will be kept without speculating on incoming players which has always been a fools' game. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭thomasj

On a side note, the treble was won 17 years ago today after that comeback vs Bayern in the noucamp , imho their greatest comeback.

It would be great to see the final replayed again on TV brings back great memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Schneiderlin in particular is a lot better than we saw last season, I would be confident that under the right circumstances those two can actually play together and be effective. Schneiderlin, Herrera and Felliani in midfield is actually a unit that could complement each other very well, if Jose gets them performing we could do very well in that area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

bangkok wrote:
    Saul only signed a new 5 year contract 2 weeks ago so i cant see us signing him.

Thiago Silva once signed a five year deal and then moved the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

A lot of people seem to think Rooney is on his way out, but Mourinho has historically had a fondness for experienced players and also has specifically courted Rooney in the past. If you're prepared to think that Mourinho can get more out of some players than Moyes or LVG did, Rooney would be a prime candidate I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

For all 6 of the games he won't be injured for.

He made 31 appearances this season so not a bad return

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »

After flirting all season with PSG (incl. private agreement), CR7 won't take step. After failing to find replacement, RM will renew contract

Gareth Bale feels he is respected by everyone at the club. His renewal is being negotiated. Both club and him want him to stay put

Can we get this lad banned from the thread?

Not bangkok, but Balague. He's outed as a ****ehawk time and time again. Pure and utter scutter every day from this chap. Again, I'm talking about Balague, not bangkok... ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Not sure why people think Rooney is gone once Jose arrives - I think Rooney epitomises the type of player JM looks for, full of running, tracking back etc.

Personally think he's past it and for the money he's being paid we could get better value elsewhere but like Carrick, because we are so woefully lacking in leadership I think he needs to be kept on for the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,661 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hococop wrote: »
    He made 31 appearances this season so not a bad return

21 starts. 13 in the league.

Not quite Vincent Kompany but didn't make anything like the contribution a player of his stature would be expected to.

A lot of people seem to think Rooney is on his way out, but Mourinho has historically had a fondness for experienced players and also has specifically courted Rooney in the past. If you're prepared to think that Mourinho can get more out of some players than Moyes or LVG did, Rooney would be a prime candidate I think.

there are 4 or 5 players that would be shipped out before Rooney would be even be considered to be moved on

MagicIRL wrote: »

Not bangkok, but Balague. He's outed as a ****ehawk time and time again. Pure and utter scutter every day from this chap. Again, I'm talking about Balague, not bangkok... ;):D

Balague is ok. dont want to get into a big argument again but he has broke some of the biggest transfers between england and spain (including ronaldo to madrid). He is very good on Revista de la liga. Ronaldo and Messi, the 2 best footballers of all time thought he was good enough to write books for them so he cant be as bad as ye make out on here..

thomasj wrote: »
    On a side note, the treble was won 17 years ago today after that comeback vs Bayern in the noucamp , imho their greatest comeback.

It would be great to see the final replayed again on TV brings back great memories.

i have it recoreded on video tape if you want a lend of it?! :P

video.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

So we're signing Bale AND Ronaldo :p

Balague is ok. dont want to get into a big argument again but he has broke some of the biggest transfers between england and spain (including ronaldo to madrid). He is very good on Revista de la liga. Ronaldo and Messi, the 2 best footballers of all time thought he was good enough to write books for them so he cant be as bad as ye make out on here..

Sure anyone can be right if you say enough things, tbh. He's wrong more often than he's right, easily. I'd say it's 80/20 in favour of being wrong. Somehow he got in to Sky Sports and as a result is plastered over the La Liga coverage.

Sure according to him LVG is still in charge.

thomasj wrote: »

Sign up to MUTV for the day and I'm sure they will have it on a loop! Amazing rollercoaster of a game! Ole was my new favourite player when Cantona left ;)

Speaking of the Treble and the day that's in it. I found a funny little quiz on Buzzfeed if anyone has a few minutes to waste-

How well to you remember Manchester United's Treble winning season

https://www.buzzfeed.com/richardbeech/football-bloody-hell?utm_term=.ngMRK69dO#.fqDOR0WK8

Edit: I only got 15/20 poor show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Schneiderlin in particular is a lot better than we saw last season, I would be confident that under the right circumstances those two can actually play together and be effective. Schneiderlin, Herrera and Felliani in midfield is actually a unit that could complement each other very well, if Jose gets them performing we could do very well in that area.

Are we sure about this though? Schneiderlin has always looked his best with someone covering for him and allowing him to get box to box. At United I don't think he has the defensive skill to be the deeper player or the passing ability to be the more advanced player as one of the 2 in a 4-2-3-1 which Jose generally plays. He lacks the tactical discipline for a top team imo and this probably comes from playing in League 1 and the Championship where he could be the all action player without much quality going the other way. It can look good at a team like Southampton but at the top level you need something more which I'm not sure he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Keane got Dunphy to write his so......

bangkok wrote:
    i have it recoreded on video tape if you want a lend of it?!

Haha lol! All I have to do is find a video recorder now.

bangkok wrote:
    i have it recoreded on video tape if you want a lend of it?!

Also 12 years to this day, mourinho won the champions league with Porto . Would be a great day to announce it!

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I think Utd are going to struggle in the transfer market this summer. Getting Jose on board is a big plus, but lack of CL football is a major negative for the biggest players. Why would any players leave any CL placed team to come to Utd this summer.

Kane, Bale, Kante, Pogba. All of them have CL football next year, we can only offer them EL and a fight for the top four.

When we last missed out we had the financial power to get some key players, but we only got ADM because PSG couldn't buy him. Falcao would have gone anywhere to try to get a game, Monaco were desperate to shift him off the books. This year, every team in the EPL has massive financial resources.

I think Jose needs to ensure DDG stays, gets Morgan back to his best, get the team playing properly and with Shaw back we should have more than enough to get back in contention without plashing out on overpriced mediocre or unwanted players. Get back in the CL next year then go all out to get the top players.
    I could understand a player rejecting us for, or not leaving, Real, Bayern, Barca - and some other clubs would have pull too with CL - but i would think if the choice is playing for United (and against some of those CL sides, domestically) and playing for some CL team that will finish 3rd in their group or get knocked out in the last 16.... I don't think United is that unappealing - not with Jose and some genuine cause for optimism things could be a lot better in 12 months (and a crap load of cash).

For example, if Chelsea or ourselves went in for Kante I would think big money at a 'big' club could outweigh one season of the unknown in the CL with Leicster.

Speaking of the Treble and the day that's in it. I found a funny little quiz on Buzzfeed if anyone has a few minutes to waste-

https://www.buzzfeed.com/richardbeech/football-bloody-hell?utm_term=.ngMRK69dO#.fqDOR0WK8

19 out of 20 - losses in the league got me, just guessed that one (incorrectly)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

video.jpg

I'll see your tape and raise you a recording of the game on tape and also a recording of the victory parade :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

video.jpg

Make sure no1 puts cellotape over the tab :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Guys, I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but just for all of you...

Also happy birthday Sir matt...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Was it two seasons ago where we went about 4 games in a row after Christmas hammering city Liverpool and missed loads of chances against spurs playing lovely attacking football.

I think it was Herrera mata and fellaini playing behind the striker and all playing very well.

Herrera and Mata were linking up very well.

Herrera struggled this season because he looks to get the ball and play quick passes in behind the defence with more free flowing attacking football I think he could be a big player next season.

MagicIRL wrote: »

Ban them bloody both... esp for repeatedly quoting each other
    Bangklok bloody ballbag is a more appropriate username....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Was it two seasons ago where we went about 4 games in a row after Christmas hammering city Liverpool and missed loads of chances against spurs playing lovely attacking football.

I think it was Herrera mata and fellaini playing behind the striker and all playing very well.

Herrera struggled this season because he looks to get the ball and play quick passes in behind the defence with more free flowing attacking football I think he could be a big player next season.

Then Jose and Chelsea brought that run to an end

Lads apparently this day
    2004 Jose won the Champions league with Porto
    17 years since the treble
    is sir matts birthday...

Todays the day to announce everything

The jose and the zlatan for Manchester United..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Nuts102 wrote: »

Was in march/April last year, we hit form after the loss to arsenal in the fa cup qf, my first game I went to :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

18/20

Actually disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

brinty wrote: »
    Guys, I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but just for all of you...

Also happy birthday Sir matt...

Never seen that footage before - cool

I had an exam the following morning which curtailed my celebrations that night (still managed to knock over someones pint when the equaliser went in and was busy arguing when the winner came :-)) but that made the session the following afternoon all the better.

Glory days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Lads not sure if it was mentioned here but I just saw a tweet saying Martial has won the PL Goal of the Season for his goal vs Liverpool.

Yes it was a beautiful goal but surely not the best out of the lot!!! Vardy, Payet, Alli all scored much better goals imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Lads not sure if it was mentioned here but I just saw a tweet saying Martial has won the PL Goal of the Season for his goal vs Liverpool.

Yes it was a beautiful goal but surely not the best out of the lot!!! Vardy, Payet, Alli all scored much better goals imo

Was for the goal against Stoke, not Liverpool.

he won United goal of the season.

alli won motd goal of the season

actually just seen on Squawka yes he won goal of the season v stoke. was a class goal in fairness

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement