Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

markc91 wrote: »
    Was for the goal against Stoke, not Liverpool.

Ah sorry, my bad. Beautiful goal but not my favourite out of the entire season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Think it was more because of the build up play than the actual finish itself.

Edit: actually just realised it's fan voted.. he was always going to win that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

In other news.. back to Chelsea or to us I'd say..

https://twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/735776279601893379

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

astradave wrote: »
    Think it was more because of the build up play than the actual finish itself.

Edit: actually just realised it's fan voted.. he was always going to win that :D

Was it not a thing that arsenal usually won fan votes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

One of my favourite moments in football (back in the 80's when the only joy as a United fan came from seeing Liverpool fail the very odd time)

27 years ago today

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/735749583511261184

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

brinty wrote: »
    Guys, I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but just for all of you...

Also happy birthday Sir matt...

Love the way the ref had to get the Bayern players up to continue after the second goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

i see Carlo Anchelotti will play a small part in the new star trek film. i bet if that was a manager of Man Utd it would be called embarassing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

bangkok wrote: »
    i see Carlo Anchelotti will play a small part in the new star trek film. i bet if that was a manager of Man Utd it would be called embarassing..

In fairness thats different to the cringy ad rooney was in or bringing out the mascots.

Plus anything rooney in gets abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If it was organized by Bayern to fluff their PR egoes and then hyped by Bayern, with Ancelotti coming out pre-match with Spock ears on - it would be embarrassing, and that would be akin to the crap United are doing with Fox at the moment.

Ancelotti meeting a family friend on set and getting a spur of the moment small background role is not the same, and not a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Looks like Ibra is on his way according to SSN.

I really don't want him to join. I'd much rather Rashford to play up there and develop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Talks are some Chinese club are offering zlatan a sick amount of cash for a 2 year contract

Just got a notification from Sky sports saying that we are the only PL club Zlatan is considering but he is also considering some offers from China!!

He is too good right now to move away from Europe. Maybe in like 2 seasons, but for now he would be mad to move to the likes of China or the USA.

Looks like Ibra is on his way according to SSN.

I really don't want him to join. I'd much rather Rashford to play up there and develop.
    I don't understand why anyone would want another season where our strikers are only Martial, Rooney and Rashford - we've been bringing on Ashley Young as a striker, we've been playing Fellaini up front, and people say "nah.... don't want to sign a striker'. It baffles me.

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/735794912176787460

Still not sure I want him at United but it would make for an interesting season.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Coat22 wrote: »
    One of my favourite moments in football (back in the 80's when the only joy as a United fan came from seeing Liverpool fail the very odd time)

27 years ago today

This was the first time I saw my father crying.

I - then nine years old - stood over him laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I don't understand why anyone would want another season where our strikers are only Martial, Rooney and Rashford - we've been bringing on Ashley Young as a striker, we've been playing Fellaini up front, and people say "nah.... don't want to sign a striker'. It baffles me.

Indeed, especially when there will be about 50 matches next season it will be necessary to rotate the strikers, or even play more than 1 at a time.

Indeed, especially when there will be about 50 matches next season it will be necessary to rotate the strikers, or even play more than 1 at a time.

And the guy is 34 - not like he could play every game, week in, week out, even if he wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Top teams only play one centre striker in this day and age and with Martial & Rashford, there's two that can fill that space. Why do we need 3? Much rather we went for a world class winger in Mahrez or someone of his ilk.

how dare you slag fellaini.. the man is lethal up front. 1 goal in 18 premier league games #prolific

• Advertisement

Coat22 wrote: »

27 years ago today

I rang a mate of mine to laugh at him - he gave the phone to his mother - he couldn't quite bring his 17 years old self to crying down the line :-)

Almost feel bad about it 27 years later....but then again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Top teams only play one centre striker in this day and age and with Martial & Rashford, there's two that can fill that space. Why do we need 3? Much rather we went for a world class winger in Mahrez or someone of his ilk.

Because Martial spends most of his time on the wing, Rashford is yet unproven despite the hype, and injuries happen.

Martial has been playing brilliant from the left. Keep him there. Sign a striker - be able to rotate Rashford out of the side (or Martial) without having to play Ashley Young up front. Or relying on Rooney to remember how to football.

Rashford is 18 years old. his chance conversion stats are insane. He could be awesome, he could be a one season (half season) flash in the pan). To not sign a 34 years old striker so that you can look to play Rashford in 100% of the games next season is just so damned short sighted imo. Its the same mistake that was made last summer, basically.

Front three of, for example, Martial, Ibrahimovic and Greizmann - with Rashford, Memphis and Rooney (who could be played CM, though I'd prefer sold) as options to come in for them.

How about we look to build a squad capable of competing rather than just a first 11, built on hopes and prayers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Martial is as much a striker as Neymar is. Should only be played wide imo. At least at the moment. Rashford should only be getting 30 odd games max next season. We don't know how good he is yet too. Definitely not good enough to spearhead a title challenge imo. With the probably thousands of useless crosses the last few years i don't know why people would turn their noses up at someone who can do something with them.

Zlatan is the perfect signing really. Signed for relative peanuts and realistically not going to be around for too long. If i was him I'd go to Arsenal tbh as they have CL and he could be the key to their stepping up to play with the big boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Sky Sports claim:
    United offering Ibrahimovic between £10 million and £11 million a season.
    China offer for Zlatan reported to be £26 million a season.
    Mourinho always wanted the United job, his motivation is success and making history at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What a lovely thought to think the poorest you will be in 2 years time is at £20million

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

how dare you slag fellaini.. the man is lethal up front. 1 goal in 18 premier league games #prolific

:rolleyes:

I don't know if you are doing it at this stage to be funny... 4 goals in total including vital goals in FA Cup but sure that doesn't suit your agena so why mention it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

RobertKK wrote: »
    Sky Sports claim:
    United offering Ibrahimovic between £10 million and £11 million a season.
    China offer for Zlatan reported to be £26 million a season.
    Mourinho always wanted the United job, his motivation is success and making history at United.
    That's £200,000 a week at United, give or take 10k depending on how much exactly is offered... Considering that Rooney's on quite a bit more than that relatively speaking, I don't think that'd be a terrible amount to pay a player of Zlatan's calibre, especially when you take into account it's a free transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

You wouldn't go into a new season with only 2 goalkeepers no matter how good or promising they were with Ashley Young as back-up. :D

I don't think anyone we'll be able to sign this summer is going stifle the development of Rashford or Martial, but not signing anyone could put them at risk of overuse and picking up injuries. I don't know whether some people are just taking piss about this. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'd be fine with paying Zlatan 200k a week for a season but if he tries to use the China offer as a bargaining tool he can fcuk off and I hope Woody thinks the same.

If we are getting Zlatan it should be a fired up one looking to put a dent in the only league he hasn't performed in, if he's thinking about China then we aren't going to get that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

• Advertisement

• What a lovely thought to think the poorest you will be in 2 years time is at £20million

Money is utterly ridiculous

If we take him for a season there better be a good re-sale to China

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

We use to have 4 options for striker:
    Fergie's last season for example: RVP, Rooney, Hernandez and Welbeck.
    Same for Moyes.

We will have lots of games next season, and a league to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

The only worry would be if rashford gets no game time at which has happened with jose over the years.

You just cant turn your nose at zlatan joining he would be a great charismatic transfer who i can see bringing the best out of other players. There hasn't been an arrogance about this team and he brings this in abundance.

tbh martial is better on the left, rooneys best days as a striker are behind him. That leaves rashford really so a striker is much needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭thomasj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

https://twitter.com/semperfiunited/status/735201433465692161

Rashford is magic. They didn't show a good replay of this on Saturday. First I've seen of it since then. After watching it a few times I'm still not sure what he actually did.
    He did something similar against Bournemouth, I couldn't even tell if he touched the ball. He's incredibly skilful and quick thinking and it's not just for show, it's effective almost all the time.

I think I might be more excited about him than Martial to be honest. He's got it all.

Just saw the video of Ibra grinning when asked about United.

Fairly confident he is coming now and he had a lot of nice words for Jose and even mentioned how he would love to work for him again. It's been a very good week for United :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Giggsy11 wrote: »

It's on like fcuking Donkey Kong bitches :D

Edit: Sorry.

I apologise for my outburst. We are not signing Ibrahimovic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I like the way Ibra seemed to just hold his own press conference while on international duty :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Was that what inspired the username?

• Advertisement

Looks obvious what's going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

FutureGuy wrote: »
    It's on like fcuking Donkey Kong bitches :D

Edit: Sorry.

I apologise for my outburst. We are not signing Ibrahimovic.

Maybe you'll actually be right for once..... ;)

Rashford is magic. They didn't show a good replay of this on Saturday. First I've seen of it since then. After watching it a few times I'm still not sure what he actually did.
    He did something similar against Bournemouth, I couldn't even tell if he touched the ball. He's incredibly skilful and quick thinking and it's not just for show, it's effective almost all the time.

I think I might be more excited about him than Martial to be honest. He's got it all.
    I think I might feel the same. I would certainly be more confident of Rashford to maintain possession than Martial - and that isn't due to Rashford being conservative with his game play, he just seems to be very intelligent with regards to what to do with the ball; the little flicks to players in support or dropping back away from the goal when he is isolated. A very composed player on the ball. I do feel Martial is far more likely to create something on his own though.

The thought of the two developing together over the years... if we can keep them... both with great pace and Rashford has great link play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Looks obvious what's going to happen.

That is brilliant.

"Im only warming up"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Pfft Ibra?

No-one will ever live up to Berbatovs legacy!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

My assumption doesn't need to invent any details. Woodward didn't sack Van Gaal because he didn't think should, thats nice and simple, needs no further explanation, fits with everything that came before it, is unaffected by any external factors and is almost a default position for any manager at any club at any particular time. What evidence could you even provide for it, it would be like trying to prove a negative?

Your assumption does need to invent a detail. You say Woodward didn't think he should sack Van Gaal, that is a detail which you have invented. The fact that it would be hard to prove your assumption is irrelevant for Occam's razor.

I wouldn't agree that the default position of clubs is to want to keep managers, not when they are doing poorly any way.
    As opposed to, "Woodward didn't sack Van Gaal because there was paperwork/something else blocking the move", a claim that requires all parties to act in a seemingly irrational manner and by its nature demands further evidence. What exactly was this external factor? Why is it a non-compete clause and not one of the many other external factors that could be dreamed up?

"Simply didn't think he should" versus "some external factor blocking the move", no, I don't think the burden of proof is the same for both. You of course will disagree.

"Woodward didn't want to sack Van Gaal" is no more internal to Mourinho being hired than "Mourinho didn't want to be hired." You could say that a non-compete clause is external because Chelsea are outside of United, but I'm not sure you can really say they are outside the situation.

There's nothing irrational about non-compete clauses. There's nothing irrational about Mourinho wanting some time off or not wanting to be a part of his mate being sacked mid-season. They are no less rational than Woodward wanting to keep Van Gaal.

And as for the questions you ask, they can be asked of your assumption just as easily.

What age was Sheringham when we signed him?

• What age was Sheringham when we signed him?

Around 31 / 32 I think

Speaking of Teddy...

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/735748242630025216

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

What age was Sheringham when we signed him?

He was 31 and two months.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/semperfiunited/status/735201433465692161

pat nevin obviously had no skill!! rashford literally tapped the ball with the instep of his foot, i think it was the defender diving in that made it look class

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement