Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Anywhere can see a full transcript of what Mourinho said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

jayo26 wrote: »
    The team has been dissapointing if he is still scoring and assisting in a team that has been misfiring imagine what he will do for us if jose finds a way to fit him in the team.

His style of play doesn't fit into the way Jose set's his teams up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The talk is Chelsea would want £60 million for Willian, but Conte wants to keep him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Guys, Mata is a goner. Jose doesn't rate him highly enough and we have Rooney on massive wages who we need to find a home for. You can't have a midfield with both Rooney and Mata in it, so one of them needs to move on and it will be Mata.

Quote all the goal/assists that you like but it doesn't matter, die is already cast. Only thing now is whether Jose looks to sell him straight away on hold on to a very useful sub for the season/until Jan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lads ive said it before and ill say it again, I highly doubt Jose is looking too run ANYONE from our paper thin squad. He'll sign a few new players for the first 11 and then it'll be upto those left too shape up or ship out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Funny how many opposition thinks we have average players and need major changes when we finished level on points with City and just 4-5 points behind Arsenal and Spurs, this is with Van Gaal in charge.

Not surprising though as our players were always underrated even when we were winning leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

United need a right winger but I'm unsure if Willian is the right winger they need. Someone who gets a few more goals would be higher on my list. I think Tadic has done very well at Southampton.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Liam O wrote: »
    United need a right winger but I'm unsure if Willian is the right winger they need. Someone who gets a few more goals would be higher on my list. I think Tadic has done very well at Southampton.

Hopefully we try to sign Mahrez.

fm7z7p.jpg

Have to do something to try and absorb some of that salt before we all suffocate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

man im just buzzing after watching that Jose Interview

Morale must be very high at the club now

• Advertisement

stankratz wrote: »
    fm7z7p.jpg

Have to do something to try and absorb some of that salt before we all suffocate.

Jaysus,those chips look lovely,thats my lunch sorted!

Happy Jose Day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Those chips look bloody delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I remember when Jose won against United with Real Madrid and said the best team lost, it was interesting to hear how it went down badly at Real Madrid :pac:
    I guess they would not be happy that Jose has said United has a mystique and romance which no other club can match.

Jose did his apprenticeship in success at Porto, Chelsea, Inter and Real Madrid, his long term aim in my opinion was to manage the most popular club in the world.

What I love about this appointment is:
    Jose Mourinho has something to prove to himself after last season, he will be so driven to get back on top, something the United team will be too.
    It is like the right appointment at the right time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭irishchris

sorry only getting to quickly skim through the thread as hectic day here. is there going to be an official news conference at all or is it simply the interview on mutv

I like Mata I think he is a top player just not a top top player..
    Somwtimes he is so good he is unplayable, sometimes he is so bad he is unplayable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Funny how many opposition thinks we have average players and need major changes when we finished level on points with City and just 4-5 points behind Arsenal and Spurs, this is with Van Gaal in charge.

Not surprising though as our players were always underrated even when we were winning leagues.

The teams you mentioned are no great shakes either, we need to be aiming higher. Forget Spurs City Arsenal, think Athletico Barca Bayern and Real

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

irishchris wrote: »
    sorry only getting to quickly skim through the thread as hectic day here. is there going to be an official news conference at all or is it simply the interview on mutv

None scheduled until july but he has soccer aid next week which he cant avoid media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

The teams you mentioned are no great shakes either, we need to be aiming higher. Forget Spurs City Arsenal, think Athletico Barca Bayern and Real

Well we cant compete with them again until we overcome the english teams or at least most of the english teams.

I just watched the interview with jose. still unbelievable to hear him call united "our club". Absolutely delighted he has become the first manager worthy of taking over from sir alex and had chuckle where he said he wants to forget the last three years. It's going to be an epic summer of transfers ahead and think mourinho can convince a few players to come to united simply by him being the manager. Remember pedro last summer about to sign for us until jose gave him a call and hey presto he was a chelsea player. I would love to see us pip some of our rivals to the quality that is sure to be available after the euros. Now come on jose and sign ibra.... he is waiting for that call :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭billyhead

You can call me mystic meg folks because I predicted on this thread back in March that Mourinho and Ibra would be at United next season;). One think I dont get is that fans are jumping to the conclusion that Matas days are numbered at United. Mourinho got rid of him because he did not fit into the system he used at Chelsea. Doesnt mean he cannot accomodate him at United playing a different style.

• Advertisement

billyhead wrote: »
    You can call me mystic meg folks because I predicted on this thread back in March that Mourinho and Ibra would be at United next season;). One think I dont get is that fans are jumping to the conclusion that Matas days are numbered at United. Mourinho got rid of him because he did not fit into the system he used at Chelsea. Doesnt mean he cannot accomodate him at United playing a different style.

totally agree, plus his reasons at the time were that he had too many similar players such as oscar who were ahead of him and could not guarantee him playing time. now i know at the minute we have a few similar players for that position but it depends who comes and goes this summer as to whether or not he fits mourinhos plans.

We are being linked with Willian but I think I'd prefer Mane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Ducker reporting that Mourhino might want 1 or 2 more preseason games

Whose the better player Saul Niguez or Angre Gomes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Jose: "We can look at Manchester United in two perspectives. The last 3 years and the club’s history. I prefer to forget the past 3 years."

Jose in a nutshell, unintentionally passive-aggressive slightly insulting to those gone before him. Strap yourselves in, its going to be a wild ride

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

One thing is for certain, there will be no "we should try and model ourselves on City" or "the fans expectations are too high" comments from Jose.

He will expect the very best from people from the get go and will not accept excuses.

He is the Roy Keane of the managerial work.

I genuinely cannot remember feeling this adrenalised with a transfer into the club in i don't know how long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

we need a manager to come in and set the bar at winning everything again, none of this celebrating top 4 nonsense.

we need a manager that forgets the last 3 years even happened. we are in the top 4 biggest clubs in the world, a 5th place finish is disastrous, a manager talking about finishing in top 4 as too high an expectation should be hanged by the club.

First interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

If Mata goes to a suitable team and gets played consistently at 10 he will be back to his league/CL winning standard of play straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Jose: "We can look at Manchester United in two perspectives. The last 3 years and the club’s history. I prefer to forget the past 3 years."

Jose in a nutshell, unintentionally passive-aggressive slightly insulting to those gone before him.

The mess made of the last 3 seasons deserves insulting.

• Advertisement

I genuinely cannot remember feeling this adrenalised with a transfer into the club in i don't know how long.

Maybe not you, but think back to the thread when LVG was appointed.

Not to rain on the parade, but the football landscape has changed and Utd now have a massive fight on our hands just to get back into CL. Jose is clearly the best man to do the job (IMO at least) but instead of a top four we have a top 6 and potentially a real top 8.

It's taken 3 years for the board to realise just how good SFA really was and I always got the feeling that Moyes was appointed on the 'it will be enough' principle, that all Utd had to do was thread water and the thing would just keep spinning. LVG was an attempt to correct that but they had limited available at the time and I think his appointment was more to do with him being the best available at the time rather than a real statement from the club.

Anyway, as Jose says, lets forget the last 3 wasted years (except for the FA Cup) and I hope that the fans of the other clubs enjoyed them as things are getting back to the rightful order pretty quickly.

Arsenal will certainly look back at the last 3 years as a real wasted oppurtunity.

• Pro. F wrote: »
    If Mata goes to a suitable team and gets played consistently at 10 he will be back to his league/CL winning standard of play straight away.

I would love to see him get a chance but with the transfer window looming and Jose now at the helm I really can't see it happening.
    This is another negative for me about Jose but I hope he can prove me wrong.
    As you say, he's never got an opportunity to consistently play as a number 10 since signing for Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

One thing is for certain, there will be no "we should try and model ourselves on City" or "the fans expectations are too high" comments from Jose.

He will expect the very best from people from the get go and will not accept excuses.

He is the Roy Keane of the managerial work.

In his first year back at Chelsea he consistently downplayed expectations and said the side wasn't mature or good enough to win the title. Can easily see him saying the same here if it begins to suit his needs.

Pro. F wrote: »

So are you in favour of getting rid or dropping Rooney then. It really is a choice between them both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I dont think he will get rid of many players this summer.

I think he will faze them out by replacing them first.

Mata will be with us until either Christmas or next summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So are you in favour of getting rid or dropping Rooney then. It really is a choice between them both

I would pick mata in that choice. Easily. Every time.

• Advertisement

• The mess made of the last 3 seasons deserves insulting.

True, but it's strange comment also as it may potentially damage his relationship with LVG. Not that it bothers me. I'm still convinced there is a good foundation of players there to be built upon. It's not like he's walking into horrid mess that requires a complete team restructure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I think Mata lost out at Chelsea because of Oscar. We don't have an Oscar or anyone who is better than Mata in that role so I think Mata will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I think Mata lost out at Chelsea because of Oscar. We don't have an Oscar or anyone who is better than Mata in that role so I think Mata will be fine.

I can see him preferring Rooney at number 10 with Ibra/martial up front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

True, its a different club different situation. Mata desperately needs the free role because watching him trying to chase players and close down space is brutal, his poor little legs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Any news on Giggs yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Leroy42 wrote: »

I would be in favour of keeping him and between himself, Rooney, Martial and Rashford we'd have an excellent group to cover CF and number 10. But I'm not the manager, Jose is. And Mata is not a Jose type of player. So I hope Jose moves him on quickly and he gets to go to a suitable team.

Edit: There's no reason why Mata couldn't play 10 and Rooney CF, but with Martial and, to a lesser extent Rashford, I'd see Mata and Rooney competing for the 10 more often. Rotation and competition is useful, so I don't see any problem there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm still in disbelief at the video. Mourinho is the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Yeah I mean if we have strikers and attackers making runs beyond the defence or just in general not being so static, then we'll see a better Mata. So much of the time he looks up and sees two holding midfielders behind him and the rest of the attack in a line across the opposition back line and has very few options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I don't think we are too far off having a very good squad. I would keep most of the current players bar Rojo and Jones.

Buy a top centre, move Blind to left back until Shaw is 100%.

Would love to see Jose get the best out of Rooney leadership wise and make him the warrior on the pitch that he used to be.

So if Ibra came in, a good cb and a winger I think we would be in good shape under Mourinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Mars Bar wrote: »

He did and look at Oscar now, he's shìte and has been for a while.

As much as we're all giddy about Mourinho, he is capable of being wrong and he was wrong about Mata. He'll realise that, Mata is going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

If we're selling Mata lads, he would need to be replaced with someone of serious quality. I can't see Jose wanting to sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

madcabbage wrote: »
    If we're selling Mata lads, he would need to be replaced with someone of serious quality. I can't see Jose wanting to sell him.

Swap with James Rodriguez ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    True, but it's strange comment also as it may potentially damage his relationship with LVG. Not that it bothers me. I'm still convinced there is a good foundation of players there to be built upon. It's not like he's walking into horrid mess that requires a complete team restructure.

I think its a very smart comment, LVG be damned. It quite succinctly draws a line under what has happened to this point and tells the fans what they wanted to hear, that the past 3 years weren't good enough and by extension things will be better in the next 3.

United fans need some confidence right now and I think Jose knows that, he won't have been blind to the negative effect of Van Gaals "expectations too high" quotes, and so he makes it clear that he thinks differently. Its little things like that that gets the fans excited and on his side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Swap with James Rodriguez ;)

As if Madrid will want to do business after what happened with the De Gea transfer? Right... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement