Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

How would everyone feel about going for the likes of Shane Long or Robbie Brady? Both would be direct, give excellent work rate, and can play in different positions. I may be biased but I could I think they'd be valuable squad options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

How would everyone feel about going for the likes of Shane Long or Robbie Brady? Both would be direct, give excellent work rate, and can play in different positions. I may be biased but I could I think they'd be valuable squad options.

No bloody way. They are definitely not top 4 club players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I was waiting on the punchline until I got to the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

I might be harsh but what are you smoking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

GSPfan wrote: »
    Was that a bit of a shinner? Doesn't matter. Sure Rooneys overhead against City was a shinner too. Must be a winning technique.

Rooneys goal against city was far from a shinner, looked like it was from 1 angle but he hit it sweet off the laces on his boot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

What an incredible few months its been for Rashford. He will need to be very closely minded and guided by the club because the English media machine will start going into overdrive now.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Excellent player from what we've seen so far, delighted for him... but it's a bit of a joke. If he played for West Ham and had the exact same season he did for us, he wouldn't even be getting marginal consideration without a good few injuries.

That's just something that winds me up no end about some teams (the English are possibly the worst for it) - often time you see players doing excellent at their clubs but barely get a look in, and the minute a big club picks them up, off they got straight into the international team.

Rashford deserves his place with England. Young, quick, clever, great finisher and the fact he plays for a big club helps him. Of course it does, why wouldn't it, playing with pressure every week

jayo26 wrote: »
    I was waiting on the punchline until I got to the end.
    bmcc10 wrote: »
    I might be harsh but what are you smoking?

d3a67431d4c78b7a2ea3c1a49a632708661b01c50c5dcfd6088fc4427c120307.jpg

Just asking for opinions. Squad options lads. Some people consider Mane here yet Long outplayed him this year in a similar position. I think he'd do well.

d3a67431d4c78b7a2ea3c1a49a632708661b01c50c5dcfd6088fc4427c120307.jpg

Just asking for opinions. Squad options lads. Some people consider Mane here yet Long outplayed him this year in a similar position. I think he'd do well.

We have loads of squad options we need top class players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

*Lee Cattermole flashbacks*

• Advertisement

Is Mane? Forgive me for asking opinions on a football discussion thread. I'd take Long over Memphis at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

*Lee Cattermole flashbacks*

He could do a job for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Yes he will. Smalling is quite possibly the best CB in the country and is better than anyone else listed bar Rio, Vidic or Silva. The first two are retired, the third one turns 32 in September.

A top level Rio/Vidic (along with VDS) formed one of the best CB/CB/GK trios in the history of the entire sport, one of them won Premiership POTY twice and the other was the best CB of his generation [not named Nesta] in my opinion. I would LOVE to have more of that, but kind of like the 90s midfield it is a bit of an unrealistically high bar to set.

Would you really rate him that high, cause their is well at least 10 better than him playing and yes I a massive fan of his
    I agree with you about the trio but I dont know if Id rate Vidic as high as you, but it seemed to be cool to slate Rio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Really hope Rashford doesn't get pushed to the bench next season. Seems like a very grounded and composed guy.

Is Mane? Forgive me for asking opinions on a football discussion thread. I'd take Long over Memphis at the moment.

Mane is 23 years old and is a good potential shane long is 29 years old and coming off the back of an average to good season at best he has no room for improvement.

Personally myself i wouldnt go mad wanting mane he has shown some good quality in games but needs to improve alot i wouldnt say he is near top class player tho.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Liverpool may go in for long because he's definitely top 8th standard however he may not want to take thedrop down from top 6

Quality finish from rooney great day for united.

Rooney!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Long!!! Lads are ye all watching the England match??? Jaysus :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Depay has been woeful again :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

bangkok wrote: »
    Rashford deserves his place with England. Young, quick, clever, great finisher and the fact he plays for a big club helps him. Of course it does, why wouldn't it, playing with pressure every week
    That's not my point. My point is if he played for West Ham or Southampton and had the exact same season he has had, he wouldn't even be getting marginal consideration. It's just something that irritates me because it makes you wonder how much the managers are actually watching all the players, and/or if their squad selections are being influenced by something else.

Sven if I recall was the absolute worst for it, but it's still quite prevalent today.

But hey, at least I'm not getting lambasted for saying he's got world class potential anymore! :p

Tv and Laptop great job

brinty wrote: »
    He could do a job for us

Those toilets won't clean themselves after Marouane's been in trimming his pubes.

Mane is 23 years old and is a good potential shane long is 29 years old and coming off the back of an average to good season at best he has no room for improvement.

Personally myself i wouldnt go mad wanting mane he has shown some good quality in games but needs to improve alot i wouldnt say he is near top class player tho.
    Long has been the Saints best player this season going by the majority of Southampton fans (according to saints cafe, other forums etc. iirc). Agreed on Mane though, he's too inconsistent for my liking.

I think with someone like Long however you know you'll get at least a 7/10 performance and terrific work rate. Never going to be world class but we lack those ilk of players we used to have over the years - an engine. At 29 he'd be a short term player true, but then people want Zlatan who's 34. Again I think he'd work out pretty well but that's me.

At 29 he's be a short term player true, but then again people want Zlatan who's 34.
    Come on now, let's be honest with ourselves... :p

Great goal. Rooney has been on fire since coming back from his injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Im watching both :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Headshot wrote: »
    Depay has been woeful again :(

He has really regressed since his move to United. I really don't know if he can turn it around next season if he stays. It will also be near impossible to move him on for a decent fee if he was sold.

That's not my point. My point is if he played for West Ham or Southampton and had the exact same season he has had, he wouldn't even be getting marginal consideration. It's just something that irritates me because it makes you wonder how much the managers are actually watching all the players, and/or if their squad selections are being influenced by something else.

Sven if I recall was the absolute worst for it, but it's still quite prevalent today.

But hey, at least I'm not getting lambasted for saying he's got world class potential anymore! :p

He is only in training squad at the moment, he might not even go. Who would you have ahead of him, Carroll, crouch, Defoe?

• Advertisement

Come on now, let's be honest with ourselves... :p
    :D

I said before and will say again I don't want us to go for Ibrahimovic. Would much rather our focus on a winger and let Rashford/Martial make their mark at CF.

Depay subbed. Awful

I said before and will say again I don't want us to go for Ibrahimovic. Would much rather our focus on a winger and let Rashford/Martial make their mark at CF.

You can say it all night no one will listen because u bigged up shane long for united :)

Eitherway shane long aint a winger :)

He is only in training squad at the moment, he might not even go. Who would you have ahead of him, Carroll, crouch, Defoe?

Again, not my point. All three would be ahead of him if he played for a midtable team. And if any of those three were playing for a bit club and getting their minutes, they would be there ahead of him.

Defoe might well deserve it more though, now that you mention it - 15 goals for a pretty wretched Sunderland team was nothing to sniff at.

Again, not my point. All three would be ahead of him if he played for a midtable team. And if any of those three were playing for a bit club and getting their minutes, they would be there ahead of him.

Defoe might well deserve it more though, now that you mention it - 15 goals for a pretty wretched Sunderland team was nothing to sniff at.

If they were good enough they would be at a big club but they are not. Rashford has more to his game at the tender age of 18 than all 3 have combined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

This sort of thinking will get you in trouble. Ibrahimovic probably only has 2 years in him now so Rashford and Martial will be fine in the long run. We need goals now and pinning our whole season on two youngfellas is a huge risk.

LvG proved one thing. Going into a season on the hopes players will remain fit is a big mistake. We need back ups for back ups these days. Rashford will get plenty of games. Its a long bloody season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Depay subbed. Awful

Pure pants he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

20 euro but still great price. The only thing missing was the umbro logo.

Is. Hopefully my local has the black one still

Antibac wrote: »
    Is. Hopefully my local has the black one still

Seem to have tons of them in wexford anyway.

You can say it all night no one will listen because u bigged up shane long for united :)

Eitherway shane long aint a winger :)
    Really yeah?

Long played the majority off this season off the CF.

Really yeah?

Long played the majority off this season off the CF.

That dont make him a winger. Blind played all season as a cb that dont make him a cb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

PL team:

De Gea
    Darmian, new CB, new CB, Shaw
    Schneiderlin, Pogba, Herrera
    Rashford, Ibrahimovic, Martial

Europa League team:

Romero
    Valencia, Smalling, Blind, Rojo
    Fosu Mensah, Mata, Schweinsteiger/Carrick
    Lingard, Rooney, Memphis/Young

----
    In my fantasy United team, we have two new CBs, we buy back Pogba and Ibrahimovic is signed.
    The teams above are just examples of how United could rest players for each tournament.

I think some of our play was so bad last season as LVG was trying to protect the defense, and that is why we had the joint best defense but also were woeful on goals scored.

Pure pants he was.

Can see mourinho giving him until jan and if he doesn't improve by then he will be a goner. Attitude stinks

GSPfan wrote: »
    This sort of thinking will get you in trouble. Ibrahimovic probably only has 2 years in him now so Rashford and Martial will be fine in the long run. We need goals now and pinning our whole season on two youngfellas is a huge risk.

LvG proved one thing. Going into a season on the hopes players will remain fit is a big mistake. We need back ups for back ups these days. Rashford will get plenty of games. Its a long bloody season.
    I can definitely see your point, but why not go for a top class wide player or two like Mahrez etc. instead of Ibra? Martial & Rashford still found a way to score in a system that was set-up in a way that was so devoid of goals. I say give them their chance as CF. If Rashford gets injured, take Martial off the wing and stick him up there. And before people say 'Long isn't a top class player' I was just throwing it out there as an option for you all to debate on.

The main issue with Ibra coming in is I don't want the likes of Rashford playing second fiddle to Zlatan because of his status. He won't settle if he's not the main man. I'd prefer to see Rashford get first team experience over someone who isn't long term. Pro's and con's for each but yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Aw Rashford's Mammy looks so proud of him! :)

If they were good enough they would be at a big club but they are not. Rashford has more to his game at the tender age of 18 than all 3 have combined
    By that logic, Federico Macheda was a better player than Ashley Young or James Milner back in the mid/late 2000s when they were at Villa.

If Rashford were playing at West Ham or any other midtable team, the exact same player as he is right now, with the exact same season, he would have not got a sniff of the team. I'm delighted for him, but it's as simple as that.

It's kind of like how Peter Crouch instantly became 'England worthy' when Liverpool bought him, despite the fact that he was not as good there as he was at Southampton previously. He took Heskey's spot if I recall, who stopped being good enough to be for England, you guessed it, as soon as he left Liverpool.

It's poor practice, and just another reason the England team never live up to expectations. Makes you wonder if they're lazy about scouting or more interested in the commercial side of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

One thing is for certain, there will be no "we should try and model ourselves on City" or "the fans expectations are too high" comments from Jose.

He will expect the very best from people from the get go and will not accept excuses.

He is the Roy Keane of the managerial work.

I genuinely cannot remember feeling this adrenalised with a transfer into the club in i don't know how long.
    Probably when DIMARIA was signed..... and look how that ended !! Sorry !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its always been the case though, why bother assessing players when you can just assume that if they are at a big club they must be good. Thats why players like Cleverley get caps, nothing to do with talent and everything to do with his club. How many caps has he won since he left United...

Henderson for example does nothing that dozens of other midfielders at smaller clubs couldn't do but he will go to the euros while a Drinkwater or Noble will stay at home. Hodgson hasn't scouted him and assessed him and judged him to be the best choice, he has just picked the biggest names and started his coaching from there.

If Hodgson was worth a damn Rashford wouldn't be going anywhere near the Euros, because 4 years into his reign and 2 weeks before the Euros Hodgson should already know exactly what team and tactical approach he wants to use, and an 18 year old with barely 20 senior games shouldn't even be in his thinking, regardless of his ability. But Hodgson will probably try and bring him because thats what England managers always do.

By that logic, Federico Macheda was a better player than Ashley Young or James Milner back in the mid/late 2000s when they were at Villa.

If Rashford were playing at West Ham or any other midtable team, the exact same player as he is right now, with the exact same season, he would have not got a sniff of the team. I'm delighted for him, but it's as simple as that.

It's kind of like how Peter Crouch instantly became 'England worthy' when Liverpool bought him, despite the fact that he was not as good there as he was at Southampton previously. He took Heskey's spot if I recall, who stopped being good enough to be for England, you guessed it, as soon as he left Liverpool.

It's poor practice, and just another reason the England team never live up to expectations. Makes you wonder if they're lazy about scouting or more interested in the commercial side of things.

I don't think you get it, Liverpool bought crouch as he was doing well, he did even better at Liverpool, scored 18 goals one season and was doing well for England. He stopped playing well for Liverpool so was sold and wasn't good enough to get in England team then.

Rash ford has played 18 times this season for one of. The biggest clubs in the world, macheda only played a couple of games.

If you are good enough you play with a big team and go onto play international.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

I can definitely see your point, but why not go for a top class wide player or two like Mahrez etc. instead of Ibra? Martial & Rashford still found a way to score in a system that was set-up in a way that was so devoid of goals. I say give them their chance as CF. If Rashford gets injured, take Martial off the wing and stick him up there. And before people say 'Long isn't a top class player' I was just throwing it out there as an option for you all to debate on.

The main issue with Ibra coming in is I don't want the likes of Rashford playing second fiddle to Zlatan because of his status. He won't settle if he's not the main man. I'd prefer to see Rashford get first team experience over someone who isn't long term. Pro's and con's for each but yeah.

In fairness it has nothing to do with status Ibra scored 50 goals this season,

Its always been the case though, why bother assessing players when you can just assume that if they are at a big club they must be good. Thats why players like Cleverley get caps, nothing to do with talent and everything to do with his club. How many caps has he won since he left United...

Henderson for example does nothing that dozens of other midfielders at smaller clubs couldn't do but he will go to the euros while a Drinkwater or Noble will stay at home. Hodgson hasn't scouted him and assessed him and judged him to be the best choice, he has just picked the biggest names and started his coaching from there.

If Hodgson was worth a damn Rashford wouldn't be going anywhere near the Euros, because 4 years into his reign and 2 weeks before the Euros Hodgson should already know exactly what team and tactical approach he wants to use, and an 18 year old with barely 20 senior games shouldn't even be in his thinking, regardless of his ability. But Hodgson will probably try and bring him because thats what England managers always do.

Brazil brought a 17 year old ronaldo to a World Cup. Rashford is class, just as martial is and both should go to the euros. Age is only a number, if you are good enough you are old enough

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement