Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

You'd do well to find a better player than Willian if Sanchez, Griezmann and Bale are unattainable.

Ibra, Willian, a CM and a CB and we're flying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

bangkok wrote: »
    Brazil brought a 17 year old ronaldo to a World Cup. Rashford is class, just as martial is and both should go to the euros. Age is only a number, if you are good enough you are old enough

Leave the cliches and soundbites to Jamie Redknapp, because Rashfords actual ability is secondary to the point made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

How attainable do people think Mahrez is, and if he is how much do you think Leicester would sell him for? I'd love him at United!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Its always been the case though, why bother assessing players when you can just assume that if they are at a big club they must be good. Thats why players like Cleverley get caps, nothing to do with talent and everything to do with his club. How many caps has he won since he left United...

Henderson for example does nothing that dozens of other midfielders at smaller clubs couldn't do but he will go to the euros while a Drinkwater or Noble will stay at home. Hodgson hasn't scouted him and assessed him and judged him to be the best choice, he has just picked the biggest names and started his coaching from there.

If Hodgson was worth a damn Rashford wouldn't be going anywhere near the Euros, because 4 years into his reign and 2 weeks before the Euros Hodgson should already know exactly what team and tactical approach he wants to use, and an 18 year old with barely 20 senior games shouldn't even be in his thinking, regardless of his ability. But Hodgson will probably try and bring him because thats what England managers always do.
    Bingo.

And for the record I think rashford has the potential to be a proper world class type talent and England's talisman. But we're only a dozen or so games in so too early to tell, and WAY too early to be bringing him to the Euros barring a major injury crisis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Brazil brought a 17 year old ronaldo to a World Cup. Rashford is class, just as martial is and both should go to the euros. Age is only a number, if you are good enough you are old enough

How can you possibly say Rashford is class, tabloid nonsense right their. Was Stead class back in the day when he knocked a few goals in for Blackburn :rolleyes:

You'd do well to find a better player than Willian if Sanchez, Griezmann and Bale are unattainable.

Ibra, Willian, a CM and a CB and we're flying

No. No no no no. It might just be me, but I fecking hate Willian for some reason.

How attainable do people think Mahrez is, and if he is how much do you think Leicester would sell him for? I'd love him at United!

I'd say zero chance, or close to it. Shame we didn't finish above city because it would still be a long shot, but a Kante/Mahrez double signing could have potentially worked wonders for us (though the one season wonder risk would of course be there).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

astonaidan wrote: »
    How can you possibly say Rashford is class, tabloid nonsense right their. Was Stead class back in the day when he knocked a few goals in for Blackburn :rolleyes:

He is 18, name a better 18 year old in the league right now. Clinical in front of goal. Manchester derby he was class, 2 goals v arsenal, goal on his England debut, the lad is class and going to get better

• Advertisement

He is 18, name a better 18 year old in the league right now. Clinical in front of goal. Manchester derby he was class, 2 goals v arsenal, goal on his England debut, the lad is class and going to get better

I completely forgot that there is an obligation for every team to send an 18 year old!

Leave the cliches and soundbites to Jamie Redknapp, because Rashfords actual ability is secondary to the point made.

If you play for a big team and make an impact like rashford has made, you must be a bit special. Andy Carroll for example, did well at Newcastle, went to a bigger team Liverpool and couldn't do it. Rashford is doing it and at a much bigger club

Billy86 wrote: »
    I completely forgot that there is an obligation for every team to send an 18 year old!

Who would you bring ahead of him?

Who would you bring ahead of him?

I've already answered this for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

No. No no no no. It might just be me, but I fecking hate Willian for some reason.

His stats are up there with the best and he works incredibly hard, he could definitely add a few more goals to his game though

His stats are up there with the best and he works incredibly hard, he could definitely add a few more goals to his game though

I know he's good, I just can't stand the guy! It's one of those unjustified hatreds that coke about every now and then in football. :p

• Advertisement

I've already answered this for you.

Who Defoe?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I agree with Collymore, all the signs have been there for years now.

Stan Collymore: "One thing is for sure, those knocking those who said he wanted MUFC while at and before rejoining CFC were right.He wanted it all along."

So to anwser the question, yes you did think Stead was class back in the day, did you think the same when Macheda knocked in a few, how about Adnan :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

I thought Mourinho was heartbroken when he didn't get the Utd job that time. Particularly hurtful with the fact Moyes got it. All this, I am the happy one when he arrived at Chelsea was trying to mask the fact he was gutted.

So to anwser the question, yes you did think Stead was class back in the day, did you think the same when Macheda knocked in a few, how about Adnan :pac:.

They were different because they didn't work out in the long run, Rashford has already worked out in the long run

Or... something...

• Advertisement

If you play for a big team and make an impact like rashford has made, you must be a bit special.

Like Januzaj? You are still missing the point of the original discussion though, which once again had nothing to do with Rashfords actual ability.

Look, fair play to Rashford, he has coped extremely well with everything that has happened to him and I sincerely hope he develops even further, but its far, far too early to judge him properly. One thing thing that struck me tonight was how slight he looked compared to most other players, he doesn't yet have the physicality he is going to need and who knows what will happen as he develops in that regard.

We could have a gem there, but I still think we would be better protecting him for a while, the higher he is built up now the harder it will be if he does get second season syndrome.

Its still not the point of the original discussion though, which was big club bias towards player selections. And your claim that if players at smaller clubs were good they would be at bigger clubs just seems like some sort of obvious fallacy.

If you play for a big team and make an impact like rashford has made, you must be a bit special. Andy Carroll for example, did well at Newcastle, went to a bigger team Liverpool and couldn't do it. Rashford is doing it and at a much bigger club

Rashford only got games cause of the injuries, your making it seem like he did a Messi and just couldnt be overlooked

In other news, a nice reminder tonight that strangely enough, Englands and soon to be Uniteds record goalscorer can still play as a striker.

Rashford only got games cause of the injuries, your making it seem like he did a Messi and just couldnt be overlooked

Yea he got games because of that and boy did he take his chance. That's what it's all about. Could be going to euro championship in 2 weeks.

Yea he got games because of that and boy did he take his chance. That's what it's all about. Could be going to euro championship in 2 weeks.

The same way Adnan and Macheda took there chance at United :pac:
    Do you watch football or just get all your information from match magazine :pac: All Aboard The Hype Train

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

morgan schneiderlain will be tranformed back to player we signed from southampton. Carrick will still be there and bastian is there. we are lacking a goalscoring midfielder ever since scholes retired, who that will be remains to be seen

Scholes goalscoring record over his last few season isnt good, he'd one ok season but was more about dictating play than scoring goals from aorund the mid noughties until he left.

Do you watch football or just get all your information from match magazine :pac: All Aboard The Hype Train

Rashford has more goals in 18 games at Utd than macheda had in 6 seasons at Utd. But anyway you prob didn't know that

Fellaini is at man utd. Therefore, Fellaini is class. Don't ask me though, Bangkok will tell you all about it!

Kevin de Bruyne didn't make at Chelsea, therefore Fellaini is better than him.

But wait, de Bruyne did make it at city!?!?

*head explodes*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I do think rashford looks a special talent. It's not the conversion rate which is nigh on guaranteed to drop significantly. It's the intelligence he already shows both on and off the ball, and his situational awareness. He looks to know what he needs to do with the ball in any given situation. An impressively mature play style.

Fellaini is at man utd. Therefore, Fellaini is class. Don't ask me though, Bangkok will tell you all about it!

Kevin de Bruyne didn't make at Chelsea, therefore Fellaini is better than him.

But wait, de Bruyne did make it at city!?!?

*head explodes*

Great point, you should become a football manager

• Advertisement

*head explodes*

Let me tell you about a young man called Danny Wellbeck...

Billy86 wrote:
    Fellaini is class.
    Great point
    Thanks. :)

Rashford has more goals in 18 games at Utd than macheda had in 6 seasons at Utd. But anyway you prob didn't know that

Lets have a little wander down memory lane shall we.

Januzaj looks to be the next exciting prospect
    januzaj is one of the best teenage players in the world
    januzaj is a cracking player

Actually sad as it is, you support United but id be confident I know more about the players than you.

Anyways back to over doing your thing, I believe you were somewhere along the lines of he plays for United how is he not nominated for the Balon D'or

Let me tell you about a young man called Danny Wellbeck...

You're the kind of sick, twisted person that creeps up behind people looking in mirrors and shouts "candy man, candy man, candy man!" aren't you!? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

In other news, a nice reminder tonight that strangely enough, Englands and soon to be Uniteds record goalscorer can still play as a striker.

Who would have thunk it that a guy playing professionallyas a striker for fifteen years could do a job there! :D

Lets have a little wander down memory lane shall we.

Januzaj looks to be the next exciting prospect
    januzaj is one of the best teenage players in the world
    januzaj is a cracking player

Actually sad as it is, you support United but id be confident I know more about the players than you.

Anyways back to over doing your thing, I believe you were somewhere along the lines of he plays for United how is he not nominated for the Balon D'or

Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

It was funny for a while but it would be nice if all the lemons would get back in fridge.

Lol

Well after that well thought out argument what can I say, I bow to your wisdom, Rashford is clearly the second coming of Pele. I now see where I was wrong, 18 games and a few goals is clearly enough to prove this, how silly of me. I feel so foolish not have seen it sooner, will you ever forgive me my ignorance :(
    I was blind to the light, a young player playing for United clearly is on a path to the stars, it was my jealousy of you and your foresight to call at the start of the season his elevation to Balon D'or contender
    Im only now seeing quotes where Messi wishes he had Rashfords left leg and Neymar would love to have his right. Once again I apologize
    I for one look forward to him competing at the top with other players you called being the best Danny "the skillful, goal threat" Welbeck and Adnan"The best young player in the world" januzaj

Welbeck is a class player just unlucky with injuries. Januzaj was one of the best young players in the world for a season. That's the thing about labeling someone a great young player, the rest of their career has no bearing on whether that statement was correct or not.

• Advertisement

Well after that well thought out argument what can I say, I bow to your wisdom, Rashford is clearly the second coming of Pele. I now see where I was wrong, 18 games and a few goals is clearly enough to prove this, how silly of me. I feel so foolish not have seen it sooner, will you ever forgive me my ignorance :(
    I was blind to the light, a young player playing for United clearly is on a path to the stars, it was my jealousy of you and your foresight to call at the start of the season his elevation to Balon D'or contender
    Im only now seeing quotes where Messi wishes he had Rashfords left leg and Neymar would love to have his right. Once again I apologize
    I for one look forward to him competing at the top with other players you called being the best Danny "the skillful, goal threat" Welbeck and Adnan"The best young player in the world" januzaj

Aston villa getting relegated has really hit you hard. Best of luck in the championship next season

Back on topic.

The last time we went through a 3 season title drought we went on to win the league 3 times Ina row with 2 league cups and a champions league. I'd take that in the next 3 seasons

Those toilets won't clean themselves after Marouane's been in trimming his pubes.

Cheers for that image Liam

If an exceptional talent presents itself you can make an exception though. Not saying Rashford should be brought, I'm not sure what striker corps should but once he's able to fit into the system used hes a viable candidate.

Edit: I'd prefer if he didnt go but can understand if hodgson takes him

Cheers for that image Liam
    Any time.

You'd be amazed the amount of people called Liam that don't know that by the way, both Irish and Aussie (where it's pretty popular). I guess it's like shaun/Shawn's not knowing their name is the English translation of an Irish name (sean) that in turn is the Irish translation of an English name (john). That's my random name based trivia for the week, tend in next time for louis van Gaal levels of intrigue and interest!

You seem to have it that it's (players level)*(club level) when really the player level doesn't matter, opposition yes but rashford has played against the same teams as the rest of the league.

• Advertisement

I don't think you get it, Liverpool bought crouch as he was doing well, he did even better at Liverpool, scored 18 goals one season and was doing well for England. He stopped playing well for Liverpool so was sold and wasn't good enough to get in England team then.

Rash ford has played 18 times this season for one of. The biggest clubs in the world, macheda only played a couple of games.

If you are good enough you play with a big team and go onto play international.

Here's a question, are leicster a big club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Zlatan Ibrahimovic ’s agent says talk of Manchester United signing the striker is premature - claiming his move will come as ‘a surprise’ (The Sun)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Here's a question, are leicster a big club?

Definitely. I play for Ramshackle Rovers and am a keen student of Einstein's theory of relativity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

zerks wrote: »
    Zlatan Ibrahimovic ’s agent says talk of Manchester United signing the striker is premature - claiming his move will come as ‘a surprise’ (The Sun)

Zlatan to Celtic - Following in Henrik's footsteps, the lure of BR too much too handle

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Zlatan to Celtic - Following in Henrik's footsteps, the lure of BR too much too handle

He does have great character.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement