Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

So based on it working once we should keep doing it? Nani?

We should do it if we need a striker, that guy happens one of the top 5 players of the last decade and is on a free, yeah.

Would you rather we never signed Nani if it meant we never signed Ronaldo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Paddy Crerand just tweeted out that Jose is finally getting his free MUTV!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Billy86 wrote: »
    Whe don't sign highly talented but sometimes volatile and petulant strikers, especially ones who played a few years in France and like to mess about with the media a bit. It's just not our style, would never work out. They'd probably expect to be called 'The King' or something before you know it.
    Or managers who rule with an iron fist, have spikey relationships with the media and other managers like Wenger, fall out with big ego players, who are terrible losers and blame refs, time left on the clock and berating 4th officials. It's not the United Way.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Good luck to Steve Bruce and Hull.

Before there was Vidic and Rio, there was Pallister and Bruce.

Steve Bruce is doing what Giggs should be doing.
    I am not saying Bruce is United standard for a manager, but I have the world of respect for him as he went and made another career for himself as a decent manager, and I hope he gets Hull back up to the PL today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

RobertKK wrote: »
    Good luck to Steve Bruce and Hull.

Before there was Vidic and Rio, there was Dollie and Daisey.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

glued wrote: »
    What are you talking about? Ibra is one of the hardest working professional athletes out there and has been hailed as a real leader. A lot of these players could learn a thing or two from him. 13 titles in 15 seasons is an outstanding record. The guy is a winner and this team is full of subpar performers. Winners like Mourinho and Ibra can only benefit this club that has become a complete joke the last 3 years.

The legend stuff is all well and good but shouldn't really be relevant when deciding whether or not to sign a player, our young lads already train with multiple league and cup winning legends. Being a legend certainly didn't make Schweinsteiger any more useful this season.

That doesn't mean we don't want to sign legends, but sign them based on what they will deliver on the field instead of in the dressing room. 28 year Zlatan? Sign him up. 35 year old Zlatan? No, we should look elsewhere.

Besides, I never quite agree with the idea that these players will automatically be good for the kids, why is this a given? When I was a kid there were older players in my club that I couldn't stand the sight off, thought they were arseholes. Yet everybody assumes Zlatan will immediately give every young player +5 training ability, I'm not sure it works like that. What if he's struggling badly with the pace and can't buy a goal, do they still get the legend bonus?

Maybe Zlatan would give massive confidence to everybody in the club and inspire every other player, its very possible indeed. But the possibility of that happening should be incidental when deciding to sign him on a couple hundred grand a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Is the CL final on d' telly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Are you for real?

Here

• Advertisement

Tony Cascarino wrote the most bizarre article...

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tony-cascarino-forget-ibrahimovic-mourinho-must-bring-back-pogba-hmwh2m6gd

Some snippets:
    David De Gea is a brilliant player but he will be wary. Mourinho has tended to prefer goalkeepers who dominate their areas and pluck crosses out of the sky to those whose main asset is shot-stopping, such as the Spaniard.
    Cascarino goes onto say:
    Iker Casillas was a De Gea type of goalkeeper and the manager dropped him at Real Madrid

Cascarino thinks Mourinho will want to get rid of Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Herrera, Mata and will look to replace the midfield with Pogba and Kante.
    That Ibrahimovic is not a Mourinho type forward.
    Smalling could be dropped, and Blind, Darmian and Rojo will be fearing for their starting places.

Cascarino thinks our back line might look like Jones, Stones, maybe Smalling, Shaw.
    I agree Smalling needs to up his game more.
    Yes he has Jones at right back, and De Gea could be sold.
    I don't want whatever drugs Tony was on when he wrote that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

RobertKK wrote: »
    I agree Smalling needs to up his game more.

Chris Smalling spent his formative seasons alternately injured, on the bench or at right back. When he finally did get into the team on a consistent basis he came on leaps and bounds and showed at times to be one of the best central defenders in the country. And he is still only 26.

Chris Smalling is about to enter his prime and he is perfectly set up to improve even further, if United stick with him then over the next 4/5 seasons we could have one of the worlds best defenders. Frankly, I can't think of anybody I would swap him for right now, and the absolute worst thing the club could do is replace him at this point in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

on RTE2 mate

Chris Smalling spent his formative seasons alternately injured, on the bench or at right back. When he finally did get into the team on a consistent basis he came on leaps and bounds and showed at times to be one of the best central defenders in the country. And he is still only 26.

Chris Smalling is about to enter his prime and he is perfectly set up to improve even further, if United stick with him then over the next 4/5 seasons we could have one of the worlds best defenders. Frankly, I can't think of anybody I would swap him for right now, and the absolute worst thing the club could do is replace him at this point in time.

Well that is what I am saying he needs to do.
    I think Smalling does too much holding of players in the penalty box and he is going to give away more penalties in the future if he doesn't deal with that part of his game.
    It was that sort of play from him that allowed Newcastle back in when United were 2-1 up at Newcastle.
    He really needs to improve further or be replaced to the bench.

syngindub wrote: »
    on RTE2 mate

Thank you sir. I don't live in your country so when I heard it was on BT, I didn't know if Rte still had it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

If United do sign Zlatan, his age is not a real concern for me.

As he is on a free the cost is only wages and its only an ongoing cost if he stays around for a while. If his form suddenly tapers off (due to age) the cost can end.

Zlatan is someone who is in the Giggs, Maldini or Zanetti mould, his mobilty is not under any serious question. He still covers ground quickly when the ball is put in behind the centre backs or when the team breaks. He won't be running into the corners but you wouldn't want him doing that anyway.

So if Age is not a major problem its back to what the player brings and he brings a lot as a finisher.

His goals this season were scored thanks to his ridiculous technique, physical attributes and his excellent positioning. A lot of goals came when he took up intelligent positions in/around the box and got on the end of a good pass or a loose ball.

The key was that PSG were able to run at the opposition with speed, with direct play, used the wings well and disrupted the oppositions defensive shape, at times outnumbering them.

The impact he can have is limited to around the box, he is not going to make things happen for himself and needs others to provide for him.

That means the bigger issue with Zlatan (or any other finisher United sign) is can United replicate the situations PSG created for Zlatan this season?

Will United have the players to do that? I think the direct, fast, counter attack style is what is needed to be successful in the Premier League so I hope that is what Jose will be aiming to get and the way United should play.

In short, if United are recruiting a few players and need a finisher then Zlatan would be a good signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Well done Bruce, good win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The good news there is we have Martial on one wing, Rashford could possibly play as a WF, and Januzaj/Depay are also there - all four have a lot of pace and explosiveness needed. Now I know some people will be rolling their eyes at Januzaj/Depay, but we know both have a lot of potential and both are young - I reckon we're in the exact situation with them as we were with Smalling/Rafael about 2-3 years ago where a lot of people wanted them gone despite their ages. Sure Rafael didn't work out, but Smalling absolutely did.

No guarantees on either to put it mildly and of course I would like to see us get a top end RW/RWF to compliment Martial on the other side. But as depth I would rather see how those two get on than watch Young and Valencia manage to be even more and more mediocre with both turning 31 before the season begins, and think Jose should be good at getting them to perform. Depay at least, he seems a bit of a 'Mourinho winger' in his makeup; Januzaj I would be a little more worried about in this regard.

Hococop wrote: »
    Well done Bruce, good win

Very happy for him.

btw I wish he would lose some weight, he looks like he is on the verge of a heart attack these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

syngindub wrote: »
    on RTE2 mate

FTA on BT Europe aswell.

https://twitter.com/bcnFD/status/736603614056226816

“Aubameyang has asked not to be selected because he is changing clubs.”

Griezman is overrated anyway :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

zerks wrote: »

I didnt see that coming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Lewa goes to Madrid.

Auba goes to Bayern.

The Bundesliga circle of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭CantonasCollar

I don't watch La Liga so links to Saul Niguez of Atleltico meant very little, but he is playing well tonight. Is getting on the ball and driving them forward, something we have been missing lately

Lewa goes to Madrid.

Auba goes to Bayern.

The Bundesliga circle of life.

Aubameyang has indicated before he wants to play for Real Madrid.

He said:
    "In 2014, just before the death of my grandfather, who was born in Avila 100 kilometres from Madrid, I gave him the promise to play one day for Real, it'll be complicated, but this is anchored to a corner of my heart."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

cmon athletico!

• Advertisement

Ronaldo has been shocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Hococop wrote: »
    Ronaldo has been shocking

He really has been poor. Bale has been superior by a country mile tonight. Maybe next season will be Bsle's turn in the spotlight.

Real Madrid fans booing Ronaldo and cheering for Bale.

I can't see any of them moving away this summer though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Meh I see Bale getting lauded tonight on the match thread but he's only been alright IMO. Ronaldo has been shocking but so have most of the areal attacking players.

Real look like they tried to out Atleti Atleti and have been paying for it since the start of the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

He really has been poor. Bale has been superior by a country mile tonight. Maybe next season will be Bsle's turn in the spotlight.

Real Madrid fans booing Ronaldo and cheering for Bale.

I can't see any of them moving away this summer though

Ronaldo isn't fit... Bale now tired too and hes only been ok

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/05/28/exclusive-marcus-rashford-signs-bumper-new-contract-at-mancheste/

Contract people are busy
    United are expected to announce before the Euros start on June 10 that Rashford has signed a new deal following weeks of negotiations between the club and the player’s representatives.

Defender Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, another youngster to have broken into the first team this season, is also on the verge of signing of new contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

have any of you ever heard of skype rooms set up for Man U match day games?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

All aboard the Ibrahimovic train :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Will probably be Rashford's new contract!

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    All aboard the Ibrahimovic train :D

Lewandowski to Madrid so benzema goes????????

jayo26 wrote: »
    Lewandowski to Madrid so benzema goes????????
    Executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward was in Milan on Saturday night watching Mourinho targets Karim Benzema of Real Madrid and Atletico’s Saul Niguez and meeting other agents at the Champions League final.

Daily Mail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Not much mention of Woodward, but I think he has handled everything brilliantly in the last week and really does deserve a lot of praise

Made the right choice in sending LVG out as a champion and then days later he brings in Jose and if reports are to be believed he seems to be active in bringing top players to the club.

Lets hope these players we bring in are the right players and not another Di Maria or Falcao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Daily Mail.

There will be at least 10 players linked with us from that game now and all will quote the line that "Ed Woodward watched them in champions league final" like he's the chief scout.

Silly season starts now I suppose! Bring it on :)

https://twitter.com/NicoSchira/status/736689442249965568

Nainggolan rejects Chelsea and might stay at Roma but if a transfer were to happen he would prefer to go to man utd.

https://twitter.com/DuncanCastles/status/736688414645489664

Jose Mourinho targets three elite signings to reconstruct Manchester United's spine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

https://twitter.com/NicoSchira/status/736689442249965568

Nainggolan rejects Chelsea and might stay at Roma but if a transfer were to happen he would prefer to go to man utd.

https://twitter.com/DuncanCastles/status/736688414645489664

Jose Mourinho targets three elite signings to reconstruct Manchester United's spine

For a second there I thought you'd actually translated Duncan Castles tweet from English to English for us!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Pogba and ???

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Pogba and ???

No other names mentioned. Its all fluff.

It says he wants a CB, CM and Striker. Discussions with Ibra mean Jose may go for a younger forward. As they missed out on Renato, Pogba is one of the alternatives that Jose is considering. In defence it will be hard to get the type of defender Jose wants as loads of clubs are after similar players.

Just finished reading all 51 pages of the Champions League final match thread, and the saltiness towards Ronaldo towards threads end just because he stuck away the winning spot kick..

Im drunk fuk that sign them all....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Just finished reading all 51 pages of the Champions League final match thread, and the saltiness towards Ronaldo towards threads end just because he stuck away the winning spot kick..

It's a pity the ignore function doesn't work for quoted posts.

It's a pity the ignore function doesn't work for quoted posts.

Indeed.. The thread itself, well the latter part of it was more entertaining than the game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement