Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Friday as in he starts the end of next week? Or is he manager already.

Already manager.

Jose knows if he wants him.

Ibra knows if he wants to join us.

And never the twain shall meet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Already manager.

61fd0fc1134273fdf33853943d8e0605.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Is it a case of, no deals till after the euros for fear of a bad injury

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

61fd0fc1134273fdf33853943d8e0605.jpg

de9362c54e4bc5b4278d55f7382b6dee.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

It could be a case of ibra pushing for a 2 year deal where united usually only give 1 year deals to older players

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Cjp5qJ0XAAEAxig.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

TheTownie wrote: »
    Cjp5qJ0XAAEAxig.jpg

Would be some addition to help out with defenders, What a player he was

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

He's been working on his coaching badges, knows the club, fantastic experience and one of the best defenders that has put on a United shirt. He could suit Jose's backroom staff for sure

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Makes sense.

I wouldn't be shocked if he wants one of the "legends" involved in the club, and the Class of 92 might follow Giggs lead for now. Rio, on the other hand, would probably jump at the chance to get back involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

ElChe32 wrote: »
    He's been working on his coaching badges, knows the club, fantastic experience and one of the best defenders that has put on a United shirt. He could suit Jose's backroom staff for sure

I'd say the fact he has plenty of friends and therefore influence with the media would be in Mourinho's thinking here too. Getting fully onside with Rio would be a good strategic move in his attempts to control that aspect of things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

de9362c54e4bc5b4278d55f7382b6dee.jpg

It's a gushing, happy face at Jose being our manager!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

All Martial's goals this season. What a great first season he just had.

https://twitter.com/joshmunited/status/737047211670917121

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

utdreport ‏@utdreport 4m4 minutes ago
    Agreement for Andre Gomes to #mufc not reached yet but talks are ongoing [sky italia]

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Gomes is very Oscar-like which would probably mean at the least very little game time for Ander and Mata if they are not sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Have no doubt Jose will get more out of the squad than LVG did, at the very least he will play the players in their natural positions. Much like Klopp at 'pool he will get more out of the squad he inherited. The squad is pretty good imo and just needs some key purchases. Really looking forward to next season, and considering how I was feeling 4 weeks ago that's saying something, believe me.

I like Klopp and I'd be wary of Liverpool if he has a good window next season. He has always been very likeable but I can't understand where this myth is propagating from. In 3/4 of a season he took Liverpool from 9th to 8th. Again not to take away from the guy I've just seen and heard that comment a few times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Gomes is very Oscar-like which would probably mean at the least very little game time for Ander and Mata if they are not sold.

Gomes usually plays a bit deeper for Valencia a bit more like Ander but I'm not crazy on him. Only seen him play a few times, granted the team were playing terrible but he didn't seem all that good.

Any big fans of his able give me an idea of what he would bring to the team. Would he look like someone who'd adapt straight into the premier league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I'd agree but the only think that I'd be apprehensive of was apparently he was the source of all the leaks, if it went sour would he start play acting again.

Class player and IMO the best "intelligent" central defender that we've ever had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

That reminds me, there were a few people near us - outside the pit - with pit passes but didn't want to use them. Saw a few people ask for them, and they said no.

Why would you do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

That reminds me, there were a few people near us - outside the pit - with pit passes but didn't want to use them. Saw a few people ask for them, and they said no.

Why would you do that?

wrong thread perhaps???

• Advertisement

• ^^dafuq?

News this morning, Rio to be signed as backroom staff by Jose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Apparently ManU have offered 15mill for Reece Oxford. Hopefully he stays at WHU and progress his career there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I dont think Rio is a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    I dont think Rio is a good idea.

Rio teaching defenders how to defend can only be a good thing really.

MagicIRL wrote: »

I find when things are not going his way he leaks like a sieve to the Media.

Just my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm convinced I read a story last summer or the summer before about United/Woodward wanting to bring some past players back into the fold. Think I remember Rio being linked with a youth role at the time.

So I wonder if this is a continuation of that thought, or a Mourinho idea.

No idea what credentials Rio has for coaching at what should be one of the best clubs in the world. I'd feel more comfortable if it was Gary Neville that we were trying to bring in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Ludo wrote: »
    Apparently ManU have offered 15mill for Reece Oxford. Hopefully he stays at WHU and progress his career there.

15m... is someone having a giraffe....

I find when things are not going his way he leaks like a sieve to the Media.

Just my opinion

Apart from it being popular opinion that Rio was a leak - can you point to anything that proves such an accusation and informs such an opinion?

Remember reading at the time it was actually one of the local lads that was the leak, not Rio - despite what everyone thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Do all the other clubs spend so much time worrying about having past players involved on the coaching side, or is it just us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

brinty wrote: »
    15m... is someone having a giraffe....

Haha the daily mail ran this story and their exact words were

Westham united want 10 million for the player but manchester united are prepaired to pay in excess of that sum..

Sounds about right tho can imagine Westham asking 10 million so Ed bids 15 million :)

Do all the other clubs spend so much time worrying about having past players involved on the coaching side, or is it just us?

Its just us by the looks of it.. they have to be proven for most united fans to see a reason for having them.

• Advertisement

If it is a continuation of the previous idea Woodward (apparently) had - then it is an attempt to partially emulate Barca and Bayern IIRC. I think keeping 'legendary' players around the club in a coaching capacity is good, as long as they are actually good coaches.

If it is a continuation of the previous idea Woodward (apparently) had - then it is an attempt to partially emulate Barca and Bayern IIRC. I think keeping 'legendary' players around the club in a coaching capacity is good, as long as they are actually good coaches.

United have always done it its not just a woodward thing.. mclaire retired and became a top class coach and ollie wasnt a bad hand at it himself either in the youths, Nicky butt was back at the clubb long before woodward came back and there are more.

Not all ex players are going to make good coaches but similar not all good coaches are going to get what it means to be a player for man united.

It seems such a limiting ideal to me. The club has always had ambassadors like Charlton or Robson at the club and thats fine as long as it doesn't affect the coaching side of things. Now it seems that instead of searching out the best and brightest like McClaren (at the time) or experienced old heads like Walter Smith, we are spending time worrying about having Giggs at the club or bringing in Rio Ferdinand and his zero coaching experience.

I just wonder if looking at ex-players is what you do when you don't know where else to look. Or is it all simply a PR exercise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

yes they do, its just you support United so you are following it closer than you would other clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Am I the only one who thinks that Giggs should be sent on his way?

There were already rumours last year that he was undermining LvG because he wanted the job himself and the last thing that an already controversial egotistical guy like Mourinho needs is someone in Giggs position, already pissed at being passed over and potentially demoted, stirring the pot behind the scenes.

Maybe he wouldn't do that, but I'd be wary of it.

Plus if Giggs does stay I would be pretty unimpressed at his determination to eventually walk into the United job without ever proving himself elsewhere.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks that Giggs should be sent on his way?

There were already rumours last year that he was undermining LvG because he wanted the job himself and the last thing that an already controversial egotistical guy like Mourinho needs is someone in Giggs position, already pissed at being passed over and potentially demoted, stirring the pot behind the scenes.

Maybe he wouldn't do that, but I'd be wary of it.

Plus if Giggs does stay I would be pretty unimpressed at his determination to eventually walk into the United job without ever proving himself elsewhere.

He needs to be sent to manage the U21s and sink or swim. He's now been part of two failed managerial positions at the club, and he needs to earn his managerial position just like anyone else.

Being a great footballer does not make you a world class manager.

He needs to be sent to manage the U21s and sink or swim. He's now been part of two failed managerial positions at the club, and he needs to earn his managerial position just like anyone else.

Being a great footballer does not make you a world class manager.

I dont think Managing the under 21s means anything or even fair.

You tend to have alot of your players out on loan or different players coming down from the first team.

I think a Championship team could prove what hes learned

I dont think Managing the under 21s means anything or even fair.

You tend to have alot of your players out on loan or different players coming down from the first team.

I think a Championship team could prove what hes learned

I agree, but I don't see any Championship team taking him on on the basis he's Ryan Giggs and Ryan Giggs alone.

Few seasons in charge of the U21s, then in to Championship, then into Premier League and then to United if he's good enough.

I agree, but I don't see any Championship team taking him on on the basis he's Ryan Giggs and Ryan Giggs alone

Which rather highlights how crazy it would be for United to give him the job, when even a championship club might not.

Its too hard to say what he will do.

But I do hope Mourinho brings in everyone " He" wants to bring in and its not dictated by the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

On name alone giggs would have no problem getting a job in the championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Nuts102 wrote: »

exactly and if he has his coaching badges as well, along with 3 years experience as assistant manager at Man Utd he could possibly get a job in the premier league straight away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Its too hard to say what he will do.

But I do hope Mourinho brings in everyone " He" wants to bring in and its not dictated by the club.
    I really doubt Mourinho is the kinda fela who takes orders from anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Nah clearly we should wait until Jagielka moves into coaching, what would Rio know :D

MrMac84 wrote: »
    I really doubt Mourinho is the kinda fela who takes orders from anyone.

Look at the management/football structures he worked under at Porto, Inter, Real Madrid and Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Nuts102 wrote: »

What I didn't like was the stance of Charlton and a few more on Jose yet they seemed happy enough to recommend Giggs despite his affairs and paying for an abortion when he got his brother's wife pregnant.
    Jose might act the bollix football wise at times but so did Fergie,at least his off field morals don't seem to be in question ala Giggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Rashford has signed a new deal.

Well done young fella!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rashford has signed a new deal.

Well done young fella!

Until 2020 with the option of a further year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Good to see them signed up. Cameron must be paranoid about his height. He's outdoing Raheem Sterlings attempt to look taller by growing his hair upwards as high as he can.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement