Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• I don't subscribe to the idea that Jose is the end of days for any young player at the club, in fact I think he might surprise people a little in that regard.

But... I would be surprised to see much of CBJ next season. With Shaw back and Rojo and Blind able to play left back I can't see Jose turning to him too often. He won't be afraid to use kids but he won't use them for the sake of it either, senior players are bound to get precedence.

If they are good enough they will play but that doesn't mean everybody and you know what, I'm happy enough with that. Its great to develop kids but it isn't our reason for existing, the need to win titles is more important than developing every kid we can.

I agree to certain point but finding the correct balance for the progression of youth and winning trophies is key. Still not convinced it's Joses forte but time will tell.
    I don't want to see a situation where he solely plays youth in the Capital One cup for arguments sake. Give them occasional opportunities in the right games in the PL for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Bar Shaw, CBJ has looked by a distance our best full back so I can see him playing enough. Isn't he really a cb though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It will be interesting to see who Jose Chucks out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Julez wrote: »
    Can ed not afford to have the sleeves of his suit jacket tailored properly?

Can't shave or dress himself but is CE of the biggest football club in the world. :confused:

There must be an obviously out of place, socially adept, well educated former investment banker on skid row somewhere bitterly cursing how his life was stolen from him over a bet by two unscrupulous old American guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

"Class of 92" on ITV at 10:15... I've never seen it lads n ladies, worth a watch?

irishfeen wrote: »
    "Class of 92" on ITV at 10:15... I've never seen it lads n ladies, worth a watch?

If you've not seen it then it's a must watch. Look, it's a bit predictable and formulaic but for a United fan it's good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Does look like the stand was a bit of a sweetener for Sir Bobby if his previous comments about Mourinho were true but he wholly deserves it. Success must come first and Jose is the best option available for the club.

Interesting summer ahead :)

Does look like the stand was a bit of a sweetener for Sir Bobby if his previous comments about Mourinho were true but he wholly deserves it. Success must come first and Jose is the best option available for the club.

Interesting summer ahead :)

It looks like that if you're a Liverpool fan looking for something to have a dig at United about. For any rational person it looks like a club cementing the legacy of one of its own greatest legends.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Some reports that Sevilla's sporting director is on the move, and we are interested.

Here's an article about him that was posted right before the Europe League final.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/17/sevilla-monchi-liverpool-europa-league-final

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    It looks like that if you're a Liverpool fan looking for something to have a dig at United about. For any rational person it looks like a club cementing the legacy of one of its own greatest legends.

No I'm not, I'm a United fan and the same thing was said by many here when it happened. It is forbidden to mention? I couldn't care less either way, I'm happy we've finally gotten a proven manager after 3 years of poor performances.

No I'm not, I'm a United fan and the same thing was said by many here when it happened. It is forbidden to mention? I couldn't care less either way, I'm happy we've finally gotten a proven manager after 3 years of poor performances.

I know you're a United fan and I'm not trying to have a go. It's just a big load of bull**** that the club would do that. It's disrespectful of Bobby to say so imo.

I hope I'm not around to see the Wayne Rooney Stand.

Jayop wrote: »
    I know you're a United fan and I'm not trying to have a go. It's just a big load of bull**** that the club would do that. It's disrespectful of Bobby to say so imo.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

It will be interesting to see who Jose Chucks out.

I think it will be very few if any. Louis ****ed nearly everybody out so its a pretty tight squad as it is. Unless there's going to be huge investment this summer(which I can't see after last summer)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

adox wrote: »
    I think it will be very few if any. Louis ****ed nearly everybody out so its a pretty tight squad as it is. Unless there's going to be huge investment this summer(which I can't see after last summer)

The paper rumours are outgoings will be minimal, but the few players that are wanted are top class.
    We will see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

No wonder paddy knew nothing of the jose deal id say everyone in Carrington are like "just dont tell paddy" he actually cant keep his gob shut lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,870 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I'd guess not more then 4 in.. I would think rather then complete upheaval and change Jose might try and work with getting the best out of the best in the squad while adding to what positions we need an upgrade to or additional numbers at most.. ie. striker, CB & midfielder and maybe another attacker in the vein of Mane or Griezmann depending on what happens to Memphis...

I think the eye will be on the following first teamers who I'd see to be most at risk by Jose's arrival although he certainly wont cull them all in this window...

Valencia
    Mata
    Jones
    Memphis
    Bastian
    Mc Nair

slightly less so maybe..

Morgan
    Fellaini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Korat wrote: »
    I hope I'm not around to see the Wayne Rooney Stand.

Just as an aside, it is strange how Rooney is perceived.

Bobby Charlton is our record goalscorer, helped win us leagues and the European cup, and to add to his legacy was also Englands record goalscorer.

Wayne Rooney will very soon be our record goalscorer, helped win us leagues and the European cup and has passed out Charlton as Englands record goalscorer.

One of these players gets a stand named after him.

I know there is more context to all of this but on the face of it Rooney should be far more lauded than he is but there are fans today that would sell him for a packet of crisps. Can you imagine United fans calling for Charlton to be gotten rid off in his twilight years when performances dipped? Did we put Robson out the door when it was clear he couldn't stay fit? Other club legends would be seen as having a place at the club for life, even today Giggs seems to benefit from that mentality but when it comes to our record goalscorer some fans can't wait to be rid of him.

Its just strange, he has been at the club for around 13 years, is our record goalscorer and has helped us win basically everything it was possible for us to win, yet it doesn't seem he will be regarded as a club legend in the same way that people who frankly contributed far less will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Strumms wrote: »
    I'd guess not more then 4 in.. I would think rather then complete upheaval and change Jose might try and work with getting the best out of the best in the squad while adding to what positions we need an upgrade to or additional numbers at most.. ie. striker, CB & midfielder and maybe another attacker in the vein of Mane or Griezmann depending on what happens to Memphis...

I think the eye will be on the following first teamers who I'd see to be most at risk by Jose's arrival although he certainly wont cull them all in this window...

Valencia
    Mata
    Jones
    Memphis
    Bastian
    Mc Nair

slightly less so maybe..

Morgan
    Fellaini

Hopefully Valencia is there for another few years, great getting free tickets to matches

• Just as an aside, it is strange how Rooney is perceived.

Bobby Charlton is our record goalscorer, helped win us leagues and the European cup, and to add to his legacy was also Englands record goalscorer.

Wayne Rooney will very soon be our record goalscorer, helped win us leagues and the European cup and has passed out Charlton as Englands record goalscorer.

I know there is more context to all of this but on the face of it Rooney should be far more lauded than he is but there are fans today that would sell him for a packet of crisps. Can you imagine United fans calling for Charlton to be gotten rid off in his twilight years when performances dipped? Did we put Robson out the door when it was clear he couldn't stay fit? Other club legends would be seen as having a place at the club for life, even today Giggs seems to benefit from that mentality but when it comes to our record goalscorer some fans can't wait to be rid of him.

Its just strange, he has been at the club for around 13 years, is our record goalscorer and has helped us win basically everything it was possible for us to win, yet it doesn't seem he will be regarded as a club legend in the same way that people who frankly contributed far less will.

It's that gutting feeling for some that Rooney never completely fulfilled his potential which says alot about him as a player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

bangkok wrote: »
    Hopefully Valencia is there for another few years, great getting free tickets to matches

Seen you offering some tickets before (west ham away??), how did all that come about, you know him?

Just as an aside, it is strange how Rooney is perceived.

Rooney held the club to ransom and was threatening a move to Man City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I wouldn't actually be surprised to see Bastian leave this summer. He was a bit of a gamble 12 months ago and it didn't really work out. Most of the time injured and despite a couple of good showings looks a spent force. A year on and he makes less sense.
    A strong personality I'm sure, I don't know if Jose would be happy having him around the dressing room while not a major contributor to the team.

Just a thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Bangkok was next to Matas father a few weeks ago, now he's buddy buddy with Valencia, in other news, me and Rojo shared a doobie there last night.

scudzilla wrote: »
    Seen you offering some tickets before (west ham away??), how did all that come about, you know him?

Yea West Ham away or Spurs away, don't remember which.
    Don't know him at all, friend of mine is with him, met him once, quiet lad. Home tickets are in the family section which is cool.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    It's that gutting feeling for some that Rooney never completely fulfilled his potential which says alot about him as a player.

And its a feeling that I understand, but on the other hand even accepting that he still delivered more than so many others who seem to be viewed as greater legends than he is.

I'd say if we were looking back at Rooneys career as if he were a teammate of Charltons he would be regarded very differently indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

And he is a Scouser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

brinty wrote:
    15m... is someone having a giraffe....

15 million is the new 5 million...
    Do all the other clubs spend so much time worrying about having past players involved on the coaching side, or is it just us?

It's not just us, but it's only a story when it's us.

Billy86 wrote:
    I would give us about a 1% chance of ever seeing him in a Utd Jersey in a competitive game. But oh my god, do I ever hope I'm wrong on that!

I spear he played competitive matches for United. At least one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

adox wrote: »
    I wouldn't actually be surprised to see Bastian leave this summer. He was a bit of a gamble 12 months ago and it didn't really work out. Most of the time injured and despite a couple of good showings looks a spent force. A year on and he makes less sense.
    A strong personality I'm sure, I don't know if Jose would be happy having him around the dressing room while not a major contributor to the team.

Just a thought.

I personally would like to see him given a coaching job at utd (if he's interested in that kind of thing) a player of his caliber that has won every thing in the game, he would be unbelievable role model

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Can you link a reputable source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,870 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There was school of thought or maybe more accurately a rumor at the time we signed Bastian that we were being sold damaged goods. I disregarded this opinion all be it I don't watch many Bayern games. What did surprise me was that he was available and the club were willing quite freely to let him go, and only 30/31 also and a Bayern legend really. He had a couple of good games.. a few decent but a lot ordinary to bad. So it's really a toss up if he was just another victim of the LVG regime or there was some truth to the gossip surrounding his departure... to be honest he often looked too slow for the pace of the league... i'd love to see him come storming back next season after a rest and a good preseason but I have a nagging doubt..

I don't think we can rule out any player for the coming season all players react differently and playing for a top manager will spur on alot of the under performing players it will be either sink or swim for some of them but a few sirprising players couod stand out.

Of course it could be different for mata but united is a totally different situation to chelsea we dont have an Oscar in the team and mata is probably by far the best natural number 10 we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If Giggs is sulking he can head away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Strumms wrote: »
    There was school of thought or maybe more accurately a rumor at the time we signed Bastian that we were being sold damaged goods. I disregarded this opinion all be it I don't watch many Bayern games. What did surprise me was that he was available and the club were willing quite freely to let him go, and only 30/31 also and a Bayern legend really. He had a couple of good games.. a few decent but a lot ordinary to bad. So it's really a toss up if he was just another victim of the LVG regime or there was some truth to the gossip surrounding his departure... to be honest he often looked too slow for the pace of the league... i'd love to see him come storming back next season after a rest and a good preseason but I have a nagging doubt..

For £6M he was worth a punt, albeit at £200K a week wages. About the same outlay with Ibra tbh for two seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'd keep Basti around.

As experienced a player you could want to have.

Fantastic role model for the younger lads and someone they can truly look up to.

There is no resale value so its worth keeping him for rotation purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Sky saying Mata and Blind are likely gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

If Giggs is sulking he can head away

Giggs should NOT be assistant manager again.

If he hasnt learned to stand on his own 2 feet after 3 seasons then he should become a coach in a selected area or manage a Championship team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Pheonix10 wrote: »

Its just guess work from them.

Blind cos he is Dutch.

Mata cos Jose sold him.

If either has to go I'd rather it were Mata.

We would get a decent enough return for him and Blind could be used across a number of positions as cover.

Would make no sense to get rid of either though.

• Advertisement

• Pheonix10 wrote: »
    I can understand Mata leaving based the fact we all know why he's heading for the door but Blind.....Versatile, such a useful squad player.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I could possibly see a blind - schneiderlin midfield work.

For £6M he was worth a punt, albeit at £200K a week wages.

200k a week is over £10 million a year, even in these rich times we need to be getting some return on an outlay like that.

Besides, as I recall, those sort of wages were frequently used as a reason to move the likes of Van Persie on instead of keeping him as a squad player...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Pheonix10 wrote: »

I think we can all understand if Mata is made to leave but Blind??

Incredibly versatile player capable of playing in many positions and his fitness throughout the season was great.

I don't think Jose is going to make a decision to let anyone go before meeting them in person and having a chat. I doubt he has properly met any player yet. Everyone is on Euros duty or holidays

I would be shocked if blind was gone, he is not a jose type center back yhh but he is a jose type defensive midfielder. He is our best passer of the ball from deep and is a a decent defensive reader of the game and has a good shot on him too.

I would envisage a midfield 2 of blind playing deep and schneiderlin playing his more attacking box to box role role that he played so well at southampton.

Couldnt see any sense of getting rid of blind he aint on massive wages and he aint gonna get a big fee.

Where the hell would that information even come from at this stage?

There'd be more substance to a rumour he's trying to send Bobby Charlton out on loan next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Really Lazy journalism like this that puts Sky down with the Red Tops.. we could all write an article that Mata would be leaving. It seems Blind is thrown in there because he was close to LVG an he openly criticised the way the sacking was handled.

LOL stahp now. Did you actually read the article or did you just assume because it's the Guardian it's reliable? It's tabloid nonsense, even the made up quote from 'a senior source at Eastlands' is straight our of the Sun playbook.

Korat wrote: »
    Where the hell would that information even come from at this stage?

There'd be more substance to a rumour he's trying to send Bobby Charlton out on loan next season.

seeing as Jose was up in Manchester yesterday and probably discussed transfer targets/sales with Ed, i would imagine Ed released that info to the press himself.

seeing as Jose was up in Manchester yesterday and probably discussed transfer targets/sales with Ed, i would imagine Ed released that info to the press himself.

To what end? Undermining the market value of our players isn't smart.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement