Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Jayop wrote: »
    LOL stahp now. Did you actually read the article or did you just assume because it's the Guardian it's reliable? It's tabloid nonsense, even the made up quote from 'a senior source at Eastlands' is straight our of the Sun playbook.

So what would you accept as a reputable source? My assumption is you will say everything that reported Rooney to city is gutter trash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

It's obvious lads...

José was offered a free 2015/2016 jersey when he visited the megastore. The woman offered him 'Mata 8' and he scoffed, and then she suggested 'Blind 17' and José laughed before demanding 'Cantona 7' and a solid gold crown to go with it.

Thankfully, Sky Sports were on the case and managed to track down a reliable Twitter source, IndyKalia or something, to verify this information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

bangkok wrote: »

This article appears to just say Rooney was considering leaving which he was. It doesn't say he wanted to or would join Man City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

So what would you accept as a reputable source? My assumption is you will say everything that reported Rooney to city is gutter trash.

I would say that 99 percent of all non match report football journalism is gutter trash. I also think that most of what's been said about Rooney is lies and stuff that's either just made up or leaked to cause problems.

Rooney did nothing Roy Keane didn't do but he's still seen as a club legend on here. He looked for more wages as he's entitled to and when he questioned the clubs ambition he as dead right. We were selling our best players and replacing them with ****e, now we're paying the price for that.

The second incident in fergies last year I think was totally Fergie spinning to force Rooney out. That might be unpopular to say but it wouldn't be the first time that happened. The apparent transfer request and subsequent dropping of Rooney looks completely dodgy to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    This article appears to just say Rooney was considering leaving which he was. It doesn't say he wanted to or would join Man City.

Jeez lads .... Fergie came out and said Rooney asked to leave. If it wasn't City...it was Chelsea... who cares.
    Twice he held the club to ransom over his contract.
    He's not the first footballer to do it. It's been done plenty of times by so called club legends for example: Ramos last year.

Jeez lads .... Fergie came out and said Rooney asked to leave. If it wasn't City...it was Chelsea... who cares.
    Twice he held the club to ransom over his contract.
    He's not the first footballer to do it. It's been done plenty of times by so called club legends for example: Ramos last year.

So the main issue is some people take offence to that and disregard that he is nearly the club's record goalscorer and for England.

I don't and I think he should be given more credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Jayop wrote: »
    I would say that 99 percent of all non match report football journalism is gutter trash. I also think that most of what's been said about Rooney is lies and stuff that's either just made up or leaked to cause problems.

Rooney did nothing Roy Keane didn't do but he's still seen as a club legend on here. He looked for more wages as he's entitled to and when he questioned the clubs ambition he as dead right. We were selling our best players and replacing them with ****e, now we're paying the price for that.

The second incident in fergies last year I think was totally Fergie spinning to force Rooney out. That might be unpopular to say but it wouldn't be the first time that happened. The apparent transfer request and subsequent dropping of Rooney looks completely dodgy to me.

fergusons quote at that time..."Sometimes you look in a field and you see a cow and you think it's a better cow than the one you've got in your own field. It's a fact. Right? And it never really works out that way."

He was nailed on for City, was common knowledge in manchester at the time and City tried really hard to make the deal happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

200k a week is over £10 million a year, even in these rich times we need to be getting some return on an outlay like that.

Besides, as I recall, those sort of wages were frequently used as a reason to move the likes of Van Persie on instead of keeping him as a squad player...

I'd have him gone in a heartbeat, we don't need him, with CBJ and Luke Shaw and Ashley Young we can rotate Blind into the middle as cover for the rest. 200k a week for a player who has done nothing since joining. I'd rather the money spent on a player that will benefit the squad, yes experience is fantastic, but you have Carrick for that who's won just as much (Minus the world cup) and looks like he has another year in him. I just think that Bayern knew what they were at shipping him out. 6 million for a 30 year old world cup winner.....it doesn't really add up.

Id rather cut the wage bill and spent the moned on a player like Kante or Marhez with Ibra up top.

I'd love to see that line out next season

DDG(if he stays)
    Darmian - Smalling - Blind/CB - Shaw
    Kante-Morgan
    Marhez
    Rooney/Mata
    Martial
    Ibra/Rashford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Can you link a reputable source?

Just happened to be the first post I saw this morning, so apologies if I'm taking this out of context.

Asking him for a source indicates you think he's having a spoof. I'd say you would be living under a rock if you weren't aware of the situation Rooney orchestrated with his agent. While it was perpetrated as him feeling the club were not being ambitious with signings and matching his expectations, who knows for certain what he wanted.

But I don't think a source is required, when SAF sat in a press conference shell shocked telling the press, and TV stations, what had transpired.

That the club called his bluff, and all the clubs who were fluttering their eye lashes bottled it, very much felt like confirmation for me what I felt about Rooney. A really good player, but a player that isn't that highly regarded abroad and would command nowhere near the sort of figure the club would want, or the wages he would want. By all accounts no-one apart from City enquired about signing him. I remember Mourinho being very weird in some interviews and conferences at Madrid saying how he thought Rooney was an incredible player, but when push came to shove, he Real didn't show any interest.

That Rooney was then given some new bumper contract was such a peculiar move by Ferguson, and really risked crushing his own mantra of no one bigger then the club (when he really meant himself). Rooneys stock fell dramatically in my eyes, for while the club were not meeting his ambitions, Rooney himself was meeting no ones expectations and had not developed on the path many anticipated.

Separately, on Ferguson's departure when he mentioned to sky about Rooney's transfer request, that was him giving the club the out to get rid and clear him. Which everyone was too stupid to appreciate and kept him on. Rooney should have been gone in the summer Moyes came in.

Would be massively surprised if Blind was sold. In his two seasons has shown to be extremely capable, a pure team player with no self interest and being able to execute a coaches orders to a T. For Jose, and his cult style of management, sure Blind is a perfect candidate.

As versatile as he is, I also believe there is a starting place for him in his preferred DM role. I've been extremely impressed with him since his arrival at the club.

Maybe there is something in it, cause I very much did not expect Carrick to be offered an extension. Schweinsteiger (although reports of his swanning around concerning but probably nonsense) is a far superior player and "elder statesman" Schneiderlan if he recaptures form is superior to Carrick and Blind I'd also rate higher. A new contract for Carrick must be some sort of token gesture for service, cause he has no place in the team anymore.

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    Just happened to be the first post I saw this morning, so apologies if I'm taking this out of context.

Asking him for a source indicates you think he's having a spoof. I'd say you would be living under a rock if you weren't aware of the situation Rooney orchestrated with his agent. While it was perpetrated as him feeling the club were not being ambitious with signings and matching his expectations, who knows for certain what he wanted.

But I don't think a source is required, when SAF sat in a press conference shell shocked telling the press, and TV stations, what had transpired.

That the club called his bluff, and all the clubs who were fluttering their eye lashes bottled it, very much felt like confirmation for me what I felt about Rooney. A really good player, but a player that isn't that highly regarded abroad and would command nowhere near the sort of figure the club would want, or the wages he would want. By all accounts no-one apart from City enquired about signing him. I remember Mourinho being very weird in some interviews and conferences at Madrid saying how he thought Rooney was an incredible player, but when push came to shove, he Real didn't show any interest.

That Rooney was then given some new bumper contract was such a peculiar move by Ferguson, and really risked crushing his own mantra of no one bigger then the club (when he really meant himself). Rooneys stock fell dramatically in my eyes, for while the club were not meeting his ambitions, Rooney himself was meeting no ones expectations and had not developed on the path many anticipated.

Separately, on Ferguson's departure when he mentioned to sky about Rooney's transfer request, that was him giving the club the out to get rid and clear him. Which everyone was too stupid to appreciate and kept him on. Rooney should have been gone in the summer Moyes came in.

Rooney couldnt move abroad, thats why the agent never sought out a move, Coleens sister was terminally ill and died in 2013 i think it was. City was the move that Rooney wanted, but then stuff like this started to happen..

article-1322748-0BB6489C000005DC-400_634x360.jpg

mobs coming to his house, threatening Rooney and his family. He sat down with Fergie, Gill and his agent and Nike who had huge influence over the deal. Rooney was Nike's biggest star in England and Rooney was England and Man Utd's biggest star. He could negotiate a massive contract for himself and the best option for all parties in the end was for him to sign a new contract with United

Would be massively surprised if Blind was sold. In his two seasons has shown to be extremely capable, a pure team player with no self interest and being able to execute a coaches orders to a T. For Jose, and his cult style of management, sure Blind is a perfect candidate.

As versatile as he is, I also believe there is a starting place for him in his preferred DM role. I've been extremely impressed with him since his arrival at the club.

Maybe there is something in it, cause I very much did not expect Carrick to be offered an extension. Schweinsteiger (although reports of his swanning around concerning but probably nonsense) is a far superior player and "elder statesman" Schneiderlan if he recaptures form is superior to Carrick and Blind I'd also rate higher. A new contract for Carrick must be some sort of token gesture for service, cause he has no place in the team anymore.

seriously?! Carrick is still our best midfielder both positionally and for his passing. Mourinho doesnt given token gestures to players

200k a week is over £10 million a year, even in these rich times we need to be getting some return on an outlay like that.

Besides, as I recall, those sort of wages were frequently used as a reason to move the likes of Van Persie on instead of keeping him as a squad player...

Van Persie transpired to be something different entirely. Granted our expectations on wage bills wasn't near the reality, and we know now we can afford to pay much more, Van Persie transpired to be a massively disruptive figure under the Moyes regime and first season of Van Gaal, and appears Van Gaal had made up his mind he was gone early on.

I assume a lot wasn't made of it due to us all wanting to remember that one good season he had.

bangkok wrote: »
    seriously?! Carrick is still our best midfielder both positionally and for his passing. Mourinho doesnt given token gestures to players

Carrick to me is Nani to everyone else. So I won't get massively back and forwardy on him. Appreciate I'm in the minority so I don't push my view onto others.

I just don't rate him at all, never did. Sometimes you can just get like that with players, even though it might be obvious to others about their quality. I've never seen it with Carrick. Find him so uninspiring, and think the experience/leadership think is nonsense also. He is a meek,bland character that you never EVER see leading on the pitch. Latest example West Ham away that he comes on and just gets over run, when the team really needed a steady head.

I don't think I'll ever fully understand or comprehend what people see in Carrick. I think I also have visceral memories of his various errors and mistakes that cost us points or progression in Europe.

But in saying that I appreciate with him, that I'm the minority and there is obviously something I just can see past.

Blind is the mother****ing man. Would love him playing DM where he belongs. I think he's absolutely class.

His record stands for itself, no one gets anywhere near club record goalscorer without being a hugely talented footballer.

You can choose to respect it or not - I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Hope those reports about Mata or Blind aren't true, both donn't deserve the door. Plenty of others who could get the heave-ho! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Korat wrote: »
    Where the hell would that information even come from at this stage?

Yes. How exactly do Sky know this? Just hear'say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I will not stand for any Daley Blind leaving rumours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I will not stand for any Daley Blind leaving rumours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Daley-Blind-girlfriend-pic.jpg

Jose might be of mind to boot him till he sits across from the man

• Mars Bar is gonna be so pissed if it happens!

#JusticeForBlind

#BringBackShinji

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

MagicIRL wrote: »
    #JusticeForBlind

#BringBackShinji

#josefukenmourinhoisourmanagerthowooohooooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I'd hate to see Blind leave. He is the type of squad player needed to win leagues.

He's great cover at LB, CM and he did a good job at CB for a chunk of the season, bar one or two disastrous performances (Watford, West Ham).

Mata, I really don't mind about. He was poor for most of the season even though he popped up with one or two important goals. At least Jose surely won't put him on the wing, if he does keep him. I'd like to see more pace in the team and Mata doesn't fit that bill.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

I'd get rid of Blind. His heart isnt in it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Blind is probably relegated now to a squad player, and he may not be happy to sit on the bench. If we keep him, fine, but I imagine we'd get a fair bit for him, given his versatility and the season he just had. I'd rather we keep him, but if he wants first team football, he probably won't be getting it under Jose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Peist2007 wrote: »
    I'd get rid of Blind. His heart isnt in it.
    care to provide some reasoning behind that assertion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Yes. How exactly do Sky know this? Just hear'say.

You mean these guys?

Screen-Shot-2013-02-19-at-12.15.05.png

Or hearsay? :pac::pac:

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    Blind is probably relegated now to a squad player, and he may not be happy to sit on the bench. If we keep him, fine, but I imagine we'd get a fair bit for him, given his versatility and the season he just had. I'd rather we keep him, but if he wants first team football, he probably won't be getting it under Jose.

The squad as it stands couldn't possibly take any more trimming at this stage. As I mentioned earlier a squad player for sure, but a really good squad player. John O Shea style IMO.
    Seems to be a true professional. Never once read once read a complaint from him on social media or any other outlet about being benched previously for example.

• Advertisement

care to provide some reasoning behind that assertion?

Have seen Blind play for United in the flesh a few times and have been unimpressed each time. He is reluctant to put his head in, doesnt drive the team on from centre half or defensive mid, doesnt have the pace to play full back. Isnt half the player his father was. Gives off the air that, when it comes down to it, he's there for the cheque only.

Mourinho knows a good defensive midfielder and i think it is no coincidence that he might want Blind gone.

Surprised to see he has some fans on here as i always thought Blind epitomises United's general listlessness over the past 18 months/2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Daley is not leaving..
    Sky are talking out there rear end
    He's too useful to get shot of
    Watch Barca or someone come in for him and he becomes a worldie.. no thanks,
    I'd much rather we keep him and sell those clowns Mike Smalling or Phillip Jones..

• Peist2007 wrote: »
    Have seen Blind play for United in the flesh a few times and have been unimpressed each time. He is reluctant to put his head in, doesnt drive the team on from centre half or defensive mid, doesnt have the pace to play full back. Isnt half the player his father was. Gives off the air that, when it comes down to it, he's there for the cheque only.

Mourinho knows a good defensive midfielder and i think it is no coincidence that he might want Blind gone.

Surprised to see he has some fans on here as i always thought Blind epitomises United's general listlessness over the past 18 months/2 years.

Think most posters are stating that he deserves to be a squad player but not a regular starter.

• brinty wrote: »
    Daley is not leaving..
    I'd much rather we keep him and sell those clowns Mike Smalling or Phillip Jones..

No Brinty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Never forget.

B9aqufJIYAIM628.jpg

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Think most posters are stating that he deserves to be a squad player but not a regular starter.

Fair enough i guess but he is on a nice wedge and that could be better spent on someone who could make more of a contribution.

how could Jose drop this guy....

th?&id=OIP.M884c7dbe1067a2da2f9d66afc5f5bd95o0&w=299&h=299&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

brinty wrote: »
    Daley is not leaving..

:rolleyes: yes, let's sell our best defender by far off the back of his breakthrough season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Fair enough i guess but he is on a nice wedge and that could be better spent on someone who could make more of a contribution.

How much is blind on a week?

Then tell me on that amount a week you can get a player who does a solid job at lb,cb,DM,cm

Carrick to me is Nani to everyone else. So I won't get massively back and forwardy on him. Appreciate I'm in the minority so I don't push my view onto others.

I just don't rate him at all, never did. Sometimes you can just get like that with players, even though it might be obvious to others about their quality. I've never seen it with Carrick. Find him so uninspiring, and think the experience/leadership think is nonsense also. He is a meek,bland character that you never EVER see leading on the pitch. Latest example West Ham away that he comes on and just gets over run, when the team really needed a steady head.

I don't think I'll ever fully understand or comprehend what people see in Carrick. I think I also have visceral memories of his various errors and mistakes that cost us points or progression in Europe.

But in saying that I appreciate with him, that I'm the minority and there is obviously something I just can see past.

Fergie rated him as the best central midfielder in England.

He was one of the first names van Gaal mentioned when he took over

now Mourinho, thinks he is good enough for another year contract.

you dont last 10 years playing central midfield for man utd without being a class player

• Advertisement

ScummyMan wrote: »
    :rolleyes: yes, let's sell our best defender by far off the back of his breakthrough season.

yea so good that he almost cost us the FA cup on his own in the semi final and final

And he cost de gea the golden glove award fly hacking at a nothing ball v Bournemouth under no pressure at all...

He's a disaster waiting to happen.

If he's our first choice centre back under Jose, god help us all..

Nuts102 wrote: »
    How much is blind on a week?

Then tell me on that amount a week you can get a player who does a solid job at lb,cb,DM,cm

€75k a week and i would class his performance as a United player as mediocre rather than solid. I am sure Leicester's scouts could find a few replacements if they had that to play around with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

how could Jose drop this guy....

th?&id=OIP.M884c7dbe1067a2da2f9d66afc5f5bd95o0&w=299&h=299&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

I'm fairly sure Jose won't be keeping players around just because you find them attractive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

yea so good that he almost cost us the FA cup on his own in the semi final and final

And he cost de gea the golden glove award fly hacking at a nothing ball v Bournemouth under no pressure at all...

He's a disaster waiting to happen.

If he's our first choice centre back under Jose, god help us all..

He made a few mistakes late in a season where he played 55 games and was solid in most and outright imperious in many games. You are overreacting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Michael Carrick has signed a new one-year contract with Manchester United, according to club legend Paddy Crerand.

Sky Sports

Dont know if it was posted already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Selling or even dropping Smalling would be madness.

Not gonna happen though. Cant wait for him to have another CB playing alongside him next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Sky Sports

That's a new low, even for Sky.. Quoting Paddy :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Sky Sports

If Paddy Crerand said it then Carrick was more than likely released.

I am all for tradition etc but is not time that he was wheeled off and someone else put in his place for MUTV duty?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

BBC's Simon Stone:

"New Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho spent seven hours at the club’s Carrington training complex yesterday.

"It does not look like he will be being joined by Monchi, who has just left his position as Sevilla’s sporting director.

"United have had a sporting director, preferring to place responsibility for team affairs solely in the hands of the manager and there is no sense at Old Trafford that system is going to change.

"Mourinho is due to speak with Ryan Giggs about a role within the club, although that cannot take place just yet as the Welshman is not due back from a holiday in Dubai until tomorrow.

"And there has been no word from United on former player Paddy Crerand’s declaration on MUTV on Monday that Michael Carrick has agreed a one-year contract extension."

• Advertisement

He made a few mistakes late in a season where he played 55 games and was solid in most and outright imperious in many games. You are overreacting.

Fair point Maximus but it was three huge mistakes. I don't buy the he's our best defender thing which a lot of people trot out.

For me I don't think he's a first choice centre back in a team looking to win leagues and champions leagues. He's third choice at best. I alos don't think Jose would be a huge fan of his. This is of course my opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs too.

My main point would be though, should we not try and improve everywhere we can if the right players become available and want to join the club. If for example if Varane and Stones/ Laporte are available (who are better than Smalling IMO) should we only buy one of them and keep playing Smalling..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement