Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Hococop wrote: »
    He won't start over Kane or vardy, I can see he coming on for the last 5 minutes of games

probably not, England experimented with a 4231 formation last few games, rashford played 2nd half the other night on the right wing and looked comfortable so id say that swung his selection in his favour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

He might not start the first game but if he comes off the bench and scores it'll be hard to leave him out. Exactly what happened with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Herrera on Jose.

Manchester United midfielder Ander Herrera has described Jose Mourinho as a 'unique' coach and is confident of improving under the Portuguese.

Herrera became the first United player to publicly endorse Mourinho as a future United manager in February, claiming he found it 'funny' the former Chelsea coach's style of play was unsuitable for United.

The Basque's future was said to be in doubt had Louis van Gaal stayed and Herrera has welcomed Mourinho's arrival.

“Working with Mourinho is a unique opportunity to work with one of the best in the world,” he told Spanish radio.

“He has a widely acclaimed method of working and I want to learn and improve. I consider his arrival to be a one-off opportunity for me to continue to develop and grow.”

When a Marca journalist suggested to Herrera that Mourinho was incompatible with United, Herrera disagreed.

He said: "I find that funny. Let's see, Mourinho played at Chelsea with Cesc (Fabregas), Willian, Oscar, (Eden) Hazard and Diego Costa. There was only (Nemanja) Matic as a defensive midfielder. That's not an attractive style of play?

"Or at Madrid, where his side scored a record amount of goals in one year?

"And aside from that he is a coach who soaks up the pressure on the players, someone who prefers to take the heat so that his players can be relaxed.

"I only know that his Chelsea, with all the difficulty that comes with it, won the Premier League last season with four weeks to spare."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-utd-news-herrera-mourinho-11407326#ICID=sharebar_twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Jayop wrote: »
    Even if he's the player of the tournament it's still a problem. Remember Rooney had a great first tourney with England and has never replicated it putting more and more pressure on him.

Or you could look at michael owen he had an excellent france 98 and it launched his career he had only bearly one full season under him before he went to france he had done what rashford has done scored goals at every level they couldnt leave him out of squad then he came on as a sub and scored also.

There is plus and minus of all situations right now rashford is doing well let him off and if he has a great summer he cant be ignored next season.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Or you could look at michael owen he had an excellent france 98 and it launched his career he had only bearly one full season under him before he went to france he had done what rashford has done scored goals at every level they couldnt leave him out of squad then he came on as a sub and scored also.

There is plus and minus of all situations right now rashford is doing well let him off and if he has a great summer he cant be ignored next season.

I think regardless of what happens with England Mourinho has to give him a chance.

I think regardless of what happens with England Mourinho has to give him a chance.

You would hope so i cant see why he wouldn't unless we sign two world class strikers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Fair play to rashers....
    If he never does anything else in the game he's still done better 99.99% of people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Word out of Holland that Fosuh Mensah is close to a new deal with the club,so much for the naysayers proclaiming Jose will ditch these players and get out the chequebook.

jayo26 wrote: »
    You would hope so i cant see why he wouldn't unless we sign two world class strikers.

Yeah I don't see that happening at all. For one thing, who are the two WC strikers that are suddenly available? There's a serious lack of these top quality guys who you feel would make a significant improvement who look available.

Sign Ibra and keep playing Rashford as much as possible.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    Word out of Holland that Fosuh Mensah is close to a new deal with the club,so much for the naysayers proclaiming Jose will ditch these players and get out the chequebook.

young players signing contracts doesnt mean he wont do that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

zerks wrote: »

How does him offering contracts to young players lead you to the conclusion that he won't get out the chequebook

Nuts102 wrote: »
    How does him offering contracts to young players lead you to the conclusion that he won't get out the chequebook

I think the key part in that post was "ditch".

There's no doubt he'll buy in players, but the fear has been that he would replace all our promising kids rather than just add to them. These new contracts while not copper-fastening that do go some way to alleviating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,870 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A little surprised that Bastian has been included in the final Germany squad for the Euros considering how little football he has played...

Also Sky Sports are running with the story that 'Sky sources' believe that Blind and Mata will be sold if a decent bid comes in for either...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I think the key part in that post was "ditch".

There's no doubt he'll buy in players, but the fear has been that he would replace all our promising kids rather than just add to them. These new contracts while not copper-fastening that do go some way to alleviating it.

No doubt he'll spend but I'm sure he's been keeping an eye on how these fellas have been doing plus he seems willing to buy into the United ethos of promoting youth.Chelsea and Madrid are playtoys for wealthy men who like to butt into team affairs so buying success is the main thing there.

Keeps TFS and sell Jones might be the plan,I'd be on board with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Strumms wrote: »
    A little surprised that Bastian has been included in the final Germany squad for the Euros considering how little football he has played...

Also Sky Sports are running with the story that 'Sky sources' believe that Blind and Mata will be sold if a decent bid comes in for either...

As opposed to not selling if the bid is crap? Any player will be moved on if enough a bid is made, thats how Mata ended up in MU in the first place.

Just such a pointless headline.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

TheDoc wrote: »
    I've read your posts, I've highlight at the end there where you've mentioned surprise that he has fans. I can extrapolate from that your confusion/surprise that people would speak about him positively. IF your going to play that game of "read my posts again i didnt say" of something you literally typed less then an hour ago, you need to be less ambiguous, the problem is not my reading.

And then separately, I've highlighted where you mention he gives the air that he is only in it for the cheque, which is total bull****. So if your peddling that sort of makey up nonsense, I'd like to try avoid reading your posts more then once if I can avoid it.

Don't mean to be crass, but that is just an outrageous comment to make based on what we can only garnish is something you have taken from absolutely nowhere.

I never said you cant praise players who arent world class. To take that from my comment is to completely miss the point.

As for the rest of the above, total bull eh? Jose doesnt seem to agree with you according to reports. Maybe he was watching the same football matches i was ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Peist2007 wrote: »
    I never said you cant praise players who arent world class. To take that from my comment is to completely miss the point.

As for the rest of the above, total bull eh? Jose doesnt seem to agree with you according to reports. Maybe he was watching the same football matches i was ;)

Media reports Blind maybe sold then after this you come in and talk about selling Blind.

Now your using these unconfirmed reports to say Jose agrees with you have I that right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,870 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Leroy42 wrote: »
    As opposed to not selling if the bid is crap? Any player will be moved on if enough a bid is made, thats how Mata ended up in MU in the first place.

If the source is correct which it may or may not be it indicates two players who Mourinho might not fancy and could be moved on to facilitate squad improvements. That is the real story, don't read too much into the literal meaning of the headline..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

bangkok wrote: »
    show me a worse comment that the above?

here is another from same poster..

"Schneiderlin would walk quicker than Carrick would run"

That is true in my defence :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Media reports Blind maybe sold then after this you come in and talk about selling Blind.

Now your using these unconfirmed reports to say Jose agrees with you have I that right.

I came in and said i agree with the sale of Blind. I never said i predicted the sale of Blind. I was told my opinions were disgraceful and i merely said that Jose can't be too far away from thinking that way if Blind is being sold.

Here's a prediction, as you say the reports are unconfirmed but i will say this: Jose will sell Blind based on the reasons i have cited earlier. Miles off what is required for a challenging team.

Any other comments of mine you want to misconstrue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I'd keep Blind as a squad player if he was willing. He is too slow to play in the first 11 but is calm on the ball and a half-decent passer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Good to see Schweinsteiger included in the Euro squad. Now I have a reason to cheer the Germans.

Also he is back in the training with the German NT.

CjzBBrPXIAEc3pA.jpg

I'm very confident that he will be a big player for us next season. He is a great player and will play under proper manager. Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Herrera is a very good midfield selection alongside Carrick. If we can include one more midfielder or even play Fosu Mensah in the midfield then even better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Leroy42 wrote: »

doesn' fancy him jeff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Sky are reporting the Mata and Blind news as factual. I wouldnt be as cynical as some of you guys against Sky but I do think they get things wrong.
    This just seems different. They are really going to town on it.

To be honest I'm open to any player leaving at this stage. I trust Jose to bring in and ship out whoever he needs to. Mata and Blind leaving might weirdly benefit Rooney as both could be possible competition in midfield next season. Interesting times ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Blind one just seems bizarre, he's a very good footballer and can provide cover for LB,CB and CM. Mata was kind of expected, feel sorry for the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I never thought I'd ever see it said that Blind and Rooney were in competition for a place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Would be disappointed to see Blind go - think he is an ideal squad player, and given our injury history in recent years we need some good strength in depth imo. Can play a few positions to a decent level, and I think he is actually pretty clever on the ball and can spot a pass.

To have a player at his level who can play CB, LB or DM if needed is an asset imo - provides good cover and experience.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Would be disappointed to see Blind go - think he is an ideal squad player

Issue is...what if thats not enough for him? I wouldn't be shocked at all if he's not willing to be relegated to such a role in the team, and he may decide he'd rather be first team somewhere else.

We'll cry about Mata and Blind right up until Varane and Griezmann are bought to replace them and then we wont give a damn.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Issue is...what if thats not enough for him? I wouldn't be shocked at all if he's not willing to be relegated to such a role in the team, and he may decide he'd rather be first team somewhere else.

That's true - he could be a great first team for a lot of teams. I think he's got great composure and temperament too.

And great hair, obvs.

• Advertisement

GSPfan wrote: »
    Sky are reporting the Mata and Blind news as factual. I wouldnt be as cynical as some of you guys against Sky but I do think they get things wrong.
    This just seems different. They are really going to town on it.

To be honest I'm open to any player leaving at this stage. I trust Jose to bring in and ship out whoever he needs to. Mata and Blind leaving might weirdly benefit Rooney as both could be possible competition in midfield next season. Interesting times ahead.

Surely you mean this only to a certain point? Would your trust extend to him shipping out Martial, Rashford or DDG?

stankratz wrote: »
    Surely you mean this only to a certain point? Would your trust extend to him shipping out Martial, Rashford or DDG?

When you put it like that then no. But
    to be honest the only reason any of them would be sold is through the player wanting and pushing to leave so I guess I would be ok with it but no I wouldnt like it. There are a handful of players I would much rather dont go anywhere. The rest I wouldnt shed a tear.

When you put it like that then no. But
    to be honest the only reason any of them would be sold is through the player wanting and pushing to leave so I guess I would be ok with it but no I wouldnt like it. There are a handful of players I would much rather dont go anywhere. The rest I wouldnt shed a tear.

Fair enough, we'll consider those players solid for arguments sake, plus the fact that Rashford only signed a new contract. I do think trust has to be placed in the new manager with the players, but I wouldn't like to see an overhaul or a mass-culling over the Summer. A couple of key players for a couple of key areas. I really think this squad has been under-performing as a result of LVG's strict philosophy. Just a few additions and proper use of the current players in their proper positions would do wonders for this team.

As for the Mata and Blind rumour - I think it would be insanity to get rid of Blind. Mata, however, and this pains me to say since I do like him, could end up being surplus to requirements depending on how Jose acts in the transfer window. If that happens, so be it. I'd rather see him shipped out now than spend a season on the sidelines and hence in the headlines where the media will relish the opportunity for Jose v Mata 2. However, I'd like to think that Sky's report is premature and just conjecture at this early stage of Jose's reign and the Summer. I sense there will be a lot of bullshít flung out on Sky's yellow ticker, they ain't what they once were.

Unless there is some fundamental reason we need to get rid of a player then I dont see why we couldnt keep everyone and add 3 or 4 players. The style of play is what needs to change. If the likes of Mata and Blind are somehow as players unable to play a new faster system then so be it. But Id rather keep them and maybe judge it in January. I reckon you can get more money for a player in January as it seems to be the window where no one wants to sell players so you probably have more clubs with cash to spend. Thats a guess.

Where exactly would this leak come from.. Cant see why United or Jose would do it

Where exactly would this leak come from.. Cant see why United or Jose would do it

Paddy Crerand

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sevilla has released a statement saying they have denied Monchi (their DoF) from walking away from his job. The talk seems to be he was trying to get out and then possibly move to us, but Sevilla want a payment of €5m for him, so denied a termination of his contract.

Every squad needs to be refreshed, that means some players must leave if players are to be signed.

Mata is an obvious choice to be sold, mourinho got rid of him at Chelsea so clearly doesn't think there is a place for him in the squad.

Blind he thinks isn't strong enough, I would keep him personally, but mourinho likes big strong players down the middle of defence and blind isn't.

Wouldn't be surprised to see another player leave as well, there will be big changes this summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

We'll cry about Mata and Blind right up until Varane and Griezmann are bought to replace them and then we wont give a damn.

I think it would be a mistake to sell Blind unless we're buying a centre back and another defensive midfielder. He also has the added bonus of being decent defensive cover at left back. If Shaw goes down injured next year I wouldn't fancy CBJ marking some of the better wingers in the league.

I'd sell Rojo quicker than Blind.

• Advertisement

glued wrote: »
    I think it would be a mistake to sell Blind unless we're buying a centre back and another defensive midfielder. He also has the added bonus of being decent defensive cover at left back. If Shaw goes down injured next year I wouldn't fancy CBJ marking some of the better wingers in the league.

I'd sell Rojo quicker than Blind.

I would buy Rojo a plane ticket myself tbh.

You would imagine any source Sky have is through a football agent. I'm sure they would have a lot of agents feeding them rumours and information. They must really trust this source. The source may have been briefed that United would sell both those guys and fed the info back to Sky. Thats the most plausible scenario in my mind.

I would buy Rojo a plane ticket myself tbh.

There'd be no point he'd just forget his passport

You would imagine any source Sky have is through a football agent. I'm sure they would have a lot of agents feeding them rumours and information. They must really trust this source. The source may have been briefed that United would sell both those guys and fed the info back to Sky. Thats the most plausible scenario in my mind.

I'd agree with that its just wierd that they got both the Mata and Blind info at the same time unless they have the same agent

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

GettyImages-535885580.jpg

For some reason I cant stop laughing at Ed

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Wonder what he's pointing at? Also the little smirk/smile on José's face, I still can't believe it when I say, José Mourinho, Manchester United manager..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Wonder what he's pointing at?

He's pointing at nothing, that's the pose of somebody who knows there is a camera pointed at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

"Over there is Liverpool. Home to perennial mid table finishers.. don't worry about them lot Jose"

I'd agree with that its just wierd that they got both the Mata and Blind info at the same time unless they have the same agent

It might not be any of their agents directly. Imagine both of the players were told that Jose doesnt see a place for them in the squad. Their agents would straight away be on the phone to whoever they need to contact to start getting options for possible new clubs. If someone who feeds information to Sky hears this then the story is out. There may be a fax or email or whatever to back it up to make them feel confident enough to be so loud and proud about the story. But they wouldnt want to expose it as it might ruin their sources ability to get this information.

I'm purely guessing here but it doesnt seem far fetched to me.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Wonder what he's pointing at?

Look at them tree's jose.... LVG bloody planted them he said they would help us win titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Exactly the same. In the video they are just taking a few pics here to show that Ed was showing him around.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement