Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

bangkok wrote: »
    i wouldnt sell Blind, very good squad player, but Jose obviously has plans in place if he is selling him. If we signed Varane/Godin for blind, Greizemann for Mata they would be quickly forgotten about

Not when Varane/Godin pick up an injury and Shaw has another injury at the same time and everyone thinks "if only there was a player who could play in either of these positions to a greater level than the ones there now, on relative peanuts by United standards and could start for most teams in the league in 3 positions."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lord TSC wrote: »
    That's the line they'll take right up until the moment they hire one.

Isn't this exactly the same line as they took with Jose...
    No we're not talking to him..
    We're not looking to replace Louis
    Two days after the FA cup and he's gone..
    Football moves fast these days..

The news of a DoF will be revealed when the role is filled. If its Monchi or Berta, I'm not really fussed so long as its done.

Liam O wrote: »
    Not when Varane/Godin pick up an injury and Shaw has another injury at the same time and everyone thinks "if only there was a player who could play in either of these positions to a greater level than the ones there now, on relative peanuts by United standards and could start for most teams in the league in 3 positions."

Well said Liamo...
    If we're shipping any defender out its Rojo for me...
    He's been tried at CB and LB and hasn't convinced in either. Has been injured > 50% of his time with us and was supposedly only brought into to have a friend for Di Maria.. Time for him to move on
    Daley is need too much to sell him on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

brinty wrote: »
    Isn't this exactly the same line as they took with Jose...

Pretty much. It's the same line they take with everything; deny everything until it's official. That way, if it falls through, you can just say it was never happening anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Liam O wrote: »

all if's and buts. Luke shaw broke his leg, chances of that happening a 2nd time and extremely slim, in fact, the chances of that happening once in a career are slim.

can see him signing obviously replacements for Mata and blind if sold, a few young players with high potential and then a couple of players he knows inside out and maybe a wildcard player.

Ibrahimovic
    Pjanic
    Sane
    Varane

those 4 would be great additions to the squad, then maybe 1 more player maybe from Chelsea like Willian or Krychowiak from seville or another striker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

GettyImages-535885580.jpg

For some reason I cant stop laughing at Ed

Saw this one yesterday and thought it was funny: "And over there is where you can park the bus."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Well said Liamo...
    If we're shipping any defender out its Rojo for me...
    He's been tried at CB and LB and hasn't convinced in either. Has been injured > 50% of his time with us and was supposedly only brought into to have a friend for Di Maria.. Time for him to move on
    Daley is need too much to sell him on

Why are people so quick to rubbish Rojo, yet prepared to give passes to many other underperforming players, using the excuse that LVG system held them back.

Bastian, Morgan, Rooney, Depay, Herrera, Mata. They have all, and many others, played pretty poorly last year but many are prepared to give them another shot. Why the hatred for Rojo?

I'm not for a minute saying he wasn't poor, jebus even Martinez could work that out, but it just seems strange that people wouldn't like to give him a restart under Jose. He has had his settling in period, knows the club, knows the league etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Don't buy the Blind/Mata story. Seems to be only on Sky, nobody else picking it up which would make one wonder.

Lazy "journalism" - my 8 year old could have put it together - Mata must be gone because he sold him 2 years ago and Blind was tactful when asked about VG so therefore is an enemy of JM and must be gone also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Loomis wrote: »
    Saw this one yesterday and thought it was funny: "And over there is where you can park the bus."

Also does Jose just have the one tshirt? Pretty sure that's all I see him wearing these days. Bit of them Simpsons style going on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

all if's and buts. Luke shaw broke his leg, chances of that happening a 2nd time and extremely slim, in fact, the chances of that happening once in a career are slim.

In Shaw's first season he had more injuries than any player in the league.

On Rojo, I actually think he's a decent CB, never gets a chance there though. Showed some good ability in his first few months in the position. Think he is worth keeping around. Hopefully Jose bloods Fosu-Mensah like he did Zouma recently in the position too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Loomis wrote: »

Ed reminds me of a character you would see on Harry Enfield and chums or The Fast Show

• brinty wrote: »
    Sky (I know, I know) reporting that Daley is 5/4 to go to Barcelona..
    That's just crazy if we'd be willing to turf him out and he becomes a worldie with them...

Daley is currently feeling like this ....
    th?&id=OIP.M5e1b9edf1eb4e7c4c752dc56d0d61b6do2&w=300&h=153&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

Same thing happened to Pique IMO
    Would you have him back at Utd is the question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Everyone knew pique was going to be good enough its just who he had in front of him for starting places that was the problem and barca came in for him.

Blind just seems to be disregarded because he made some errors as a center back which is unfair i hope he is kept and goven a run in midfield with schneiderlin.

• jayo26 wrote: »
    Everyone knew pique was going to be good enough its just who he had in front of him for starting places that was the problem and barca came in for him.

Blind just seems to be disregarded because he made some errors as a center back which is unfair i hope he is kept and goven a run in midfield with schneiderlin.

Exactly. Pique wasn't played enough to notice any discrepancies in his performances IMO.

Blind still has the potential as did Pique

jayo26 wrote: »

Wasn't Pique a grandson of a Barca Director? He was never staying with united no matter how good or bad he was - United more or less had him "on loan" until he came of age (I know, I know we owned him but in effect he was just seeing out his teenage years at United)

Coat22 wrote: »
    Wasn't Pique a grandson of a Barca Director? He was never staying with united no matter how good or bad he was - United more or less had him "on loan" until he came of age (I know, I know we owned him but in effect he was just seeing out his teenage years at United)

Pique was homesick and was allowed to leave

Pique was homesick and was allowed to leave

Homesick - Yeah - why else would you want to go play for Barcelona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Ed reminds me of a character you would see on Harry Enfield and chums or The Fast Show

LOADSAMONEY!!

hqdefault.jpg

loadsamoneyxxx_3561517c.jpg

Possibly my biggest reason for disliking lvg is for letting this guy go..

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGG29PhvU2n/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I think Blind is 100% the type of player José would love. And if he does leave, make no mistake, it will be a huge loss.

Play him at DM especially and I expect to see him shine. I think he's incredibly talented but is mucked around too much covering for others.

Trying to remember of the top of my head, without resorting to googling results.

Apart from Vardy who I remember got his record against us in a 1-1 draw. Did any of Lukaku, Kane or Aguero score against us while Blind was playing CB?

He has definitely had some ropey games, but to be expected considering the task that was put to him. But unless I'm missing a glaringly obvious game(Arsenal away I believe was a tactical ****up and team implosion) I think I remember Blind and Smalling managing most of the big threats pretty well.

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    MagicIRL wrote: »
    I think Blind is 100% the type of player Jos would love. And if he does leave, make no mistake, it will be a huge loss.

Play him at DM especially and I expect to see him shine. I think he's incredibly talented but is mucked around too much covering for others.

Trying to remember of the top of my head, without resorting to googling results.

Apart from Vardy who I remember got his record against us in a 1-1 draw. Did any of Lukaku, Kane or Aguero score against us while Blind was playing CB?

He has definitely had some ropey games, but to be expected considering the task that was put to him. But unless I'm missing a glaringly obvious game(Arsenal away I believe was a tactical ****up and team implosion) I think I remember Blind and Smalling managing most of the big threats pretty well.

Alan Smith put him up there with De Gea, Martial and Smalling as the stand out players of the season for United and while he wouldn't be my first choice CB or LB I would show plenty the door before him

Homesick - Yeah - why else would you want to go play for Barcelona

well he was born and raised in Barcelona and he even admitted years after he left United that he was homesick. Fair enough reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Possibly my biggest reason for disliking lvg is for letting this guy go..

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGG29PhvU2n/

Think from the point of view of at that time rather than right now and it was probably the correct decision

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Think from the point of view of at that time rather than right now and it was probably the correct decision

Not really in my opinion i could understand him going on loan to madrid he wasnt going to get a game but last summer he was sold after we let go of rvp and falcao and only forward we brought in wasnt ment to be for last season it just happened he hit the ground running and saved us from a total melt down.

• Perez at it again I see...

“I am not the one who has to decide,” Perez told reporters when asked about possibly making another bid for De Gea. “I would say it is very difficult to manage two great players in that position.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

TheDoc wrote: »

Alan Smith put him up there with De Gea, Martial and Smalling as the stand out players of the season for United and while he wouldn't be my first choice CB or LB I would show plenty the door before him

He would be one of the first names on my team sheet if I was manager. I think he reads the game so well, and can pick out a pass superbly. He is everything Carrick lacked this season and more.

Had LVG not failed to sign a competent collection of back-up players, he would've been our Player of the Season.

I'll be gutted if he leaves.

Side note: Can anyone make my a Blind forum signature? The Three Blind Mice with Daley's lovely head on their little bodies. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Not really in my opinion i could understand him going on loan to madrid he wasnt going to get a game but last summer he was sold after we let go of rvp and falcao and only forward we brought in wasnt ment to be for last season it just happened he hit the ground running and saved us from a total melt down.

Pretty sure Martial was meant for the 1st team at his price. With LVGs 1 striker formation it was always gonna be Rooney to lead the line. Then you had Martial as backup and Wilson expected to kick on. Wasn't really space for Hernandez given his lack of versatility and competition with Rooney. Season before there was Rooney, RVP and Falcao

Perez at it again I see...

“I am not the one who has to decide,” Perez told reporters when asked about possibly making another bid for De Gea. “I would say it is very difficult to manage two great players in that position.”

they are chasing David Alaba at the moment, already had a £38m bid turned down

Pretty sure Martial was meant for the 1st team at his price. With LVGs 1 striker formation it was always gonna be Rooney to lead the line. Then you had Martial as backup and Wilson expected to kick on. Wasn't really space for Hernandez given his lack of versatility and competition with Rooney. Season before there was Rooney, RVP and Falcao

Lvg said in his presser after signing martial he had signed him for the next manager. He may of played bit part roles but no1 expected him to play as much as he did.

• Advertisement

I'm with Jayo - the worst decision taken by a United manager since Fergie sold Jaap.

He was a proven goalscorer that they would sell for what? 10M? He had a sh*te Rooney who hasn't done it in years, Wilson (who has never looked to me like he'd be a Man Utd quality player despite his hype on here) and Martial. Even if you accepted Rooney and Martial would start ahead of him it was criminal to let him go when he would have been good for 20 starts with CL, cups, games against Villa etc to factor in.

It seems like VG told Young last summer he would now be back up striker which means he sold a proven one so that he could use a winger there instead. That was either incompetent or malicious on VGs part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Any truth to the Sneijder rumours?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Chico was only good when chances were created for him. He could not drop off and create well, he was unreliable for reading the defensive line and staying onside, he was purely a fox in the box type player, chances need to be handed to him on a plate but when they were he converted a high percentage of them.

Martial has much more to his game, he can drop and go past two to three players with his great close control and dribbling, Chico was nor will ever be capable of that, plus Martial is good at taking chances too, can be played wide and is way more versatile. Rooney also can drop off and fight to create for himself. Both players have much more in their toolbox than Chico.

I never got the love for Wilson, l thought after his early first team starts that he doesn't look anything like a UTD player, bang average from the get go and nothing special about his game. I still can't understand where the hype and love came from, I guess people love the romance of star striker coming through the youths.

LVG was not incompetent or malicious to sell Chico, your remembering how Chico used to play in a Fergie team (direct attacking) and briefly for Moyes (take all the crosses). LVG knew his style of play (high possession slow build up, drop off and pass) and Chico didn't match, Martials ability is much more suited to LVGs style. The penalty miss was the last straw but for the style LVG was about to attempt at UTD selling Chico made sense.

Chico was only good when chances were created for him. He could not drop off and create well, he was unreliable for reading the defensive line and staying onside, he was purely a fox in the box type player, chances need to be handed to him on a plate but when they were he converted a high percentage of them.

Martial has much more to his game, he can drop and go past two to three players with his great close control and dribbling, Chico was nor will ever be capable of that, plus Martial is good at taking chances too, can be played wide and is way more versatile. Rooney also can drop off and fight to create for himself. Both players have much more in their toolbox than Chico.

I never got the love for Wilson, l thought after his early first team starts that he doesn't look anything like a UTD player, bang average from the get go and nothing special about his game. I still can't understand where the hype and love came from, I guess people love the romance of star striker coming through the youths.

LVG was not incompetent or malicious to sell Chico, your remembering how Chico used to play in a Fergie team (direct attacking) and briefly for Moyes (take all the crosses). LVG knew his style of play (high possession slow build up, drop off and pass) and Chico didn't match, Martials ability is much more suited to LVGs style. The penalty miss was the last straw but for the style LVG was about to attempt at UTD selling Chico made sense.

....but he still sold him knowing he had only Rooney, Martial and Wilson (who we agree was overhyped)

He may not have been VGs first choice but compared to Young being his back up option he was a no brainer to retain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The idea that all Hernandez could do is finish chances is pure rubbish. He might not have been Drogba but his all-round game was far, far better than some people want to give him credit for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Is the fact Fergie, Moyes, Ancelotti and LVG didn't 'fancy' him telling?

• Advertisement

i didnt really mind lvg selling Hernandez to be honest, but he was sold for too cheap, Danny Welbeck on the other hand, selling to a direct rival was crazy

i didnt really mind lvg selling Hernandez to be honest, but he was sold for too cheap, Danny Welbeck on the other hand, selling to a direct rival was crazy

Because One has been a flop for his new club whereas the other one has shot Arsenal to the title? :ermm:

Is the fact Fergie, Moyes, Ancelotti and LVG didn't 'fancy' him telling?

Is the fact that he had a better scoring ratio then 1 in 3 for united and madrid even tho most of his appearance were from the bench and he was always second choice behind rooney rvp and benzema.

This year in germany he played 40 games and scored 26 goals.

That is more telling then of Fergie not picking him instead of rooney or rvp or madrid not picking him instead of benzema.

Because One has been a flop for his new club whereas the other one has shot Arsenal to the title? :ermm:

no but Hernandez time had come to move on both for himself and the club.

Welbeck was a local lad and helped arsenal to an FA cup (by knocking us out) and helped Arsenal get top 4 this season (and keeping us out)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

My only concern about daley blind is his athleticism or lack thereof, lack of pace and (in the case of centreback) strength /height specifically. There are some short and sluggish players who have done well in DM/CB but few and far between. That's talking about him as a starter. As a squad player he is invaluable though. I just haven't been consistently impressed by him in any position, HOWEVER this was under lvg's reign so that's true of almost every player!

• Advertisement

Welbeck was a local lad and helped arsenal to an FA cup (by knocking us out) and helped Arsenal get top 4 this season (and keeping us out)

So he was from Manchester ergo he should have been kept? B*ll*x

He scored one goal for Arsenal in the cup last year (the one that beat us) but hardly the driving force behind it

He scored 4 league goals this year - 3 of those had effected the results (max +6 points) so you could argue that he was the difference between us and Arsenal finishing 4th but its stretching the imagination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

AS saying Lewandowski will push for a move to Madrid,Benzema says he's happy there but if Lewa arrives then he becomes surplus to requirements.
    One big move and we will have a very big transfer merry go round.

So he was from Manchester ergo he should have been kept? B*ll*x

He scored one goal for Arsenal in the cup last year (the one that beat us) but hardly the driving force behind it

He scored 4 league goals this year - 3 of those had effected the results (max +6 points) so you could argue that he was the difference between us and Arsenal finishing 4th but its stretching the imagination.

he was creating chances for other players as well and was making good runs for the team. He kept Giroud on the bench for all arsenals big games when he came back from Injury

zerks wrote: »
    AS saying Lewandowski will push for a move to Madrid,Benzema says he's happy there but if Lewa arrives then he becomes surplus to requirements.
    One big move and we will have a very big transfer merry go round.

Sure the same could be said about x going to y releasing z to move to club ABC???

I don't want Benzema at United, just don't.

stankratz wrote: »
    I don't want Benzema at United, just don't.

racist :pac:

eh how does his not wanting benzema make him a racist.. or is that an in joke???

eh how does his not wanting benzema make him a racist.. or is that an in joke???

was a joke... Benzema released a statement saying he wasnt going to the Euros as it was racially motivated...

yggeVZG.jpg?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Any truth to the Sneijder rumours?

:pac:

No, he's cup tied

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement