Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Coat22 wrote: »
    Couple of questions:

- Do United get a bye from the 3rd round of the League Cup because they are in the EL?
    - Do the Friday night games start this season coming?
    - If a team is playing in the EL on a Thursday can they be picked for the Monday night game earlier in the same week?

Up to 10 matches will be on Friday nights

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/11290531/Premier-League-to-be-shown-on-Friday-nights-for-the-first-time.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Would you guys like us to sign Henrikh Mkhitaryan ?

Top player and available.A step up from Lingaard on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Couple of questions:

- Do United get a bye from the 3rd round of the League Cup because they are in the EL?
    - If a team is playing in the EL on a Thursday can they be picked for the Monday night game earlier in the same week?

As an additional question, that I think I'm right in saying (Cause Skys retention team wouldnt stop banging on about it when I was cancelling) they are launching a new Sky Sports Ireland channel this season, where we can pick from a selection of the Saturday 3pm games.

Not sure if its a selection from all, or just some provided ones, but hopefully means no more watching United on saturdays on NBCSports or Arabic ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

zerks wrote: »
    Top player and available.A step up from Lingaard on the right.

Would you take him before Mahrez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

TheDoc wrote: »
    As an additional question, that I think I'm right in saying (Cause Skys retention team wouldnt stop banging on about it when I was cancelling) they are launching a new Sky Sports Ireland channel this season, where we can pick from a selection of the Saturday 3pm games.

Not sure if its a selection from all, or just some provided ones, but hopefully means no more watching United on saturdays on NBCSports or Arabic ;)

Nice one.. Hopefully it's updated onto my Sat box

• Advertisement

Would you take him before Mahrez

Last year of his contract now too I think.. would get him for a 1/3 of the fee for Mahrez and he's a cracking player.. id rather see Mahrez do it again next season before spending obscene amounts on him.. Mhkitaryan has been pretty consistent the last few years now and is coming into his prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Anyone rate defender Manolas for Roma?

He's been linked but I don't know much to be honest.

Linked with all the big teams in england I think, us, arsenal, chelsea anyway

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Couple of questions:

Think they are taking over all the 3PM games Setanta had

Would love this next season

Dave
    Darmian-Mike-Varane-Shaw
    ----Gomes----Schneiderlin---
    Mhkitaryan-Rooney-Martial
    Zlatan

Surely that would give us a title challenge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Wayne Rooney England player of the year again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,984 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

bangkok wrote: »
    Wayne Rooney England player of the year again
    He scored in all bar one of the qualifiers he played in. He deserves that award imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Would love this next season

Dave
    Darmian-Mike-Varane-Shaw
    ----Gomes----Schneiderlin---
    Mhkitaryan-Rooney-Martial
    Zlatan

Surely that would give us a title challenge

Darmain and Schneiderlin have been very underwhelming this season.
    As for Rooney - would he really be in your dream 11 for next season?

eagle eye wrote: »
    He scored in all bar one of the qualifiers he played in. He deserves that award imo.

yea, 4th time now he has won it as well

No but we have to be realistic, we aren't going to sign 6-7 first team players and Rooney is going to be in the team whether we like it or not . Schneiderlin's poor performance's also had a lot more to do with LVG then you think, he didn't play half the time anyway. You have to remember this is the first phase of Jose's reign and a team to challenge for the title not win the champions league is whats needed in the that first phase.For now I'd be happy with a striker that scores lots of goals, a fast right winger/forward and midfielder with a bit of creativity and a physical centre back to partner Smalling, I'm willing to give Darmian another chance as well, Fonu Mensah is there as competition anyway

No but we have to be realistic, we aren't going to sign 6-7 first team players and Rooney is going to be in the team whether we like it or not . Schneiderlin's poor performance's also had a lot more to do with LVG then you think, he didn't play half the time anyway. You have to remember this is the first phase of Jose's reign and a team to challenge for the title not win the champions league is whats needed in the that first phase.For now I'd be happy with a striker that scores lots of goals, a fast right winger/forward and midfielder with a bit of creativity and a physical centre back to partner Smalling, I'm willing to give Darmian another chance as well, Fonu Mensah is there as competition anyway

Point taken. I'm presuming 4 signings as well btw and would probably pick 3 of the same positions as you (CB/RW/CF). Could live with one of Carrick/Schweinsteiger/Herrara alongside Schneiderlin for the season but thats assuming Schneiderlin steps up (take your point about VG but I'm yet to be convinced).

That for me leaves one more signing at either RB or No.10 - don't buy that Rooney is an automatic pick but you're probably right. Ditto RB - Darmain could be one that flourishes post VG but I'm not sure he's a Jose type FB.

Point taken. I'm presuming 4 signings as well btw and would probably pick 3 of the same positions as you (CB/RW/CF). Could live with one of Carrick/Schweinsteiger/Herrara alongside Schneiderlin for the season but thats assuming Schneiderlin steps up (take your point about VG but I'm yet to be convinced).

That for me leaves one more signing at either RB or No.10 - don't buy that Rooney is an automatic pick but you're probably right. Ditto RB - Darmain could be one that flourishes post VG but I'm not sure he's a Jose type FB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Still haven't signed anyone yet?

It's been nearly a week. Mourinho out! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

As with all players I would be interested to see if Rooney can regain some of his old form under a better manager. Forget this midfield rubbish, there is still a good goalscorer there and I hope Jose recognises that, a Wayne Rooney playing well solves a lot of problems for us.

If he is still muck then no more excuses, he can't always blame the manager. But the management has been rubbish and we need to recognise that in terms of all of our players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Coat22 wrote:
    Darmain and Schneiderlin have been very underwhelming this season. As for Rooney - would he really be in your dream 11 for next season?

I dont think you can really judge any player on the football we have played in the last couple of years.
    Give them six months and see what they are like then.

I dont think you can really judge any player on the football we have played in the last couple of years.
    Give them six months and see what they are like then.

Well I'd never seen Darmain before last season so can only judge him on that.

Schneiderlin I've yet to be convinced by, even from his time at Southampton. Not sure what the hype is but really hope I'm missing something (which I probably am - took me several seasons to realise Carrick wasn't an overpriced donkey)

Rooney's been poor for years. We have this argument on here every summer about him, and like Liverpool fans start the season with "this is going to be the year" only to be disappointed. When he's good, he's very good but for 80% of the season he's not, simple as.

• Advertisement

Schneiderlin I've yet to be convinced by, even from his time at Southampton. Not sure what the hype is but really hope I'm missing something (which I probably am - took me several seasons to realise Carrick wasn't an overpriced donkey)

Rooney's been poor for years. We have this argument on here every summer about him, and like Liverpool fans start the season with "this is going to be the year" only to be disappointed. When he's good, he's very good but for 80% of the season he's not, simple as.

his goal return last few years...15, 14, 19, 16, 34 and dont forget he played a lot of games in no10 role as well

his goal return last few years...15, 14, 19, 16, 34 and dont forget he played a lot of games in no10 role as well

Ah don't start - not getting into the "Wayne scores loads so is great" argument.

Like Robbie Keane he scores plenty against piss poor teams and who's to say someone else wouldn't have gotten more if given the chances he's had.

Fact is he's crap for 80% of the games he plays. He's brilliant in the other 20%. He could hardly run for the ball against Leicester.

his goal return last few years...15, 14, 19, 16, 34

Not to mention that quite a few people would be happy to have a goal return of 14 or 15 from Ibrahimovic should he come, 14/15 goals to keep us ticking over while the kids develop. But if Jose can get him playing then we already have somebody who can do that without giving Zlatan 200000 a week.

I'm not saying place all our hopes on Rooney, but I do think he is worth another chance.

Ah don't start - not getting into the "Wayne scores loads so is great" argument.

Like Robbie Keane he scores plenty against piss poor teams and who's to say someone else wouldn't have gotten more if given the chances he's had.

Fact is he's crap for 80% of the games he plays. He's brilliant in the other 20%. He could hardly run for the ball against Leicester.

never said he was great, but football is all about scoring goals and creating chances and he still does that. I think he will do well under Mourinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I'm not saying place all our hopes on Rooney, but I do think he is worth another chance.

BTF he was given the chance this year and pretty much blew it. He said he would be the main striker, 25 goals this season he said. And we needed that.

Instead we ended up relying on two kids to provide the goals whilst Rooney decided he wanted to be a midfielder.

Doubt there is much we can do to move him on, and with 300k a week he's not going to be left on the bench too much, but to think about not bringing in someone else on the basis of having Rooney is madness.

His whole career has been periods of hot streaks and then Giroud like periods of total drought, except I would even say that Giroud can still add something to the team whilst not scoring while Rooney seems to forget how to even trap or pass the ball.

never said he was great, but football is all about scoring goals and creating chances and he still does that. I think he will do well under Mourinho

His goals this season

Brugge 3
    Ipswich 1
    Sunderland 1
    Everton 1
    Moscow 1
    Swansea 1
    Sheff Utd 1
    Newcastle 2
    Liverpool 1
    Stoke 1
    Bournemouth 1

I know he can only score against the teams put in front of you but not many of these were against teams in the top half of the PL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Leroy42 wrote: »
    BTF he was given the chance this year and pretty much blew it. He said he would be the main striker, 25 goals this season he said. And we needed that.

Instead we ended up relying on two kids to provide the goals whilst Rooney decided he wanted to be a midfielder.

Doubt there is much we can do to move him on, and with 300k a week he's not going to be left on the bench too much, but to think about not bringing in someone else on the basis of having Rooney is madness.

His whole career has been periods of hot streaks and then Giroud like periods of total drought, except I would even say that Giroud can still add something to the team whilst not scoring while Rooney seems to forget how to even trap or pass the ball.

The assists for each player over the last 3 or 4 seasons would suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Please be a selection.

The problem last season was that BT Sport made Setanta evenly share which teams got shown so there was a few weeks where there would be an important match (top or bottom) but they showed a mid table nothing match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

astradave wrote: »
    Last year of his contract now too I think.. would get him for a 1/3 of the fee for Mahrez and he's a cracking player.. id rather see Mahrez do it again next season before spending obscene amounts on him.. Mhkitaryan has been pretty consistent the last few years now and is coming into his prime.

Good point well made
    Mahrez could be super or he could go the way of Michu (anyone remember him!!!) and totally flop next season..

Henrik looks to be a solid proven player over a longer time frame but would Dortmund sell having lost Hummels in this window and possibly Reus???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Unearthly wrote: »
    Please be a selection.

The problem last season was that BT Sport made Setanta evenly share which teams got shown so there was a few weeks where there would be an important match (top or bottom) but they showed a mid table nothing match

There's not going to be a selection. It'll be one 3pm game per week like usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

There's not going to be a selection. It'll be one 3pm game per week like usual.

And as usual I expect it'll be a feast of crap. At least with Villa being relegated we'll not be stuck with them like we always seemed to be on Setanta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Jayop wrote: »
    And as usual I expect it'll be a feast of crap. At least with Villa being relegated we'll not be stuck with them like we always seemed to be on Setanta.

Get a better service than sky then... There's cheaper and better options with a lot more choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Get a better service than sky then... There's cheaper and better options with a lot more choice.

I have, and if United are on at 3pm and not on Sky/Setanta then I'll be watching in HD. I couldn't be bothered setting up the feed for non-United games though so I'll either watch what's on or not bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

Lads are we really havin this rooney argument again. He's by far our best player since Ronaldo left and he wasn't exactly too shabby when Ronaldo was there either let's be honest. 514 games 245 goals and 123 assists. That from a centre forward who has been played outta position for too many occasions that I care to remember. No 10 wide right wide left centre midfield the man is a centre forward.

Now I get he's no Ronaldo or Messi but jesus lads he's the 2nd top scorer in the prem league of all time. And he's not too far away from bein utds all time top scorer think he might be 6,7,8 goals behind. He's already England's top goal scorer.

Imagine he was actually played up front for those games he was played outta position and if we had actual good players to play there so he wouldn'tve needed to I reckon there'd be a few more goals to that tally and a few more points on the board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lads are we really havin this rooney argument again. He's by far our best player since Ronaldo left and he wasn't exactly too shabby when Ronaldo was there either let's be honest. 514 games 245 goals and 123 assists. That from a centre forward who has been played outta position for too many occasions that I care to remember. No 10 wide right wide left centre midfield the man is a centre forward.

Now I get he's no Ronaldo or Messi but jesus lads he's the 2nd top scorer in the prem league of all time. And he's not too far away from bein utds all time top scorer think he might be 6,7,8 goals behind. He's already England's top goal scorer.

Imagine he was actually played up front for those games he was played outta position and if we had actual good players to play there so he wouldn'tve needed to I reckon there'd be a few more goals to that tally and a few more points on the board.

Well we are now...
    seeing as you just quoted all those facts and opinions...

do we never learn!!!

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    Good point well made
    Mahrez could be super or he could go the way of Michu (anyone remember him!!!) and totally flop next season..

Henrik looks to be a solid proven player over a longer time frame but would Dortmund sell having lost Hummels in this window and possibly Reus???

Pretty sure there were reports going around that he was refusing to sign a new contract and coming in to his last year I'm sure Dortmund would be open to selling at the right price. On the other hand they could do what they did with Lewa and hold him to his contract and lose him for nothing next year.

brinty wrote: »
    Good point well made

Michu had injury issues which f*cked his career - now playing in Spains 4th division at 29 trying to build it all back up again

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jan/10/swansea-striker-michu-rebuilding-career-spain

Here's a good idea. Lets start Rooney as our CF next year, his favourite position where he'll surely score loads of goals. As we'll only play 1 up front we have Rashford as cover in case of injury. We won't need to sign another forward. Rooney has scored 245 goals so success with this policy is pretty much guaranteed. He's out captain and soon to be record goal scorer so nothing can go wrong.

As Kevin Keegan once said - its like Deja Vu all over again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

I never said don't sign another striker all I'm sayin is if Rooney plays it should be as a striker and at least have the quality behind him to support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Does anyone know if the England V Portugal is being shown on TV? Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

Does anyone know if the England V Portugal is being shown on TV? Thanks in advance.

ITV m8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Itv

Rooney is good player, he has scored lots of goals and will be fondly remembered as a club legend but , as I've pointed out before, in his best seasons Utd failed to win major trophies.

His best just wasn’t good enough to drive the team to win titles in the way Cantona, Keane, Ronaldo and even Van Persie did. Now he’s 30 and visibly in decline so it would be like writing off a title challenge to build the team around him, a mistake both Moyes and LVG made to their cost.

I’d be in no hurry to get rid of him as I think he still has a role to play at the club but his place in the team certainly shouldn’t be guaranteed as it was under LVG and if a Chinese team came and offered stupid money for him I’d bite their hand off.

Korat wrote: »
    if a Chinese team came and offered stupid money for him I’d bite their hand off.

I can't think of a player less likely to relocate to China than Wayne Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Nani captaining the national side in Wembley!!

Good for him. We never should have sold him :p:p

I can't think of a player less likely to relocate to China than Wayne Rooney.

Aha but check this out;

http://whenonearth.net/11-fake-european-towns-landmarks-made-china/

Those Chinese fellas will fake anything even a whole town. It would be no bother for them to knock together a fake North-West England council estate to make him feel at home. :)

Id be more then happy to give Rooney 1 year to show what hes got under Mourinho as long as Mata and Herrera stay. If Rooney is ****e then we can give Herrera and Mata a chance. Mata has never been given his chance at number 10 and for 2 seasons in a row outshone Hazard at Chelsea. Herrera is another player whose form has suffered under LVG, as I said I'd be perfectly happy if we just strengthen our spine and get a fast right winger and for none of the current players to leave. The squad can be re-assessed next season when we/if are back in europe's elite, we def need 4 players to improve us. Our priorities are , Mourinho prefers a smaller squad but he also said before he wanted 2 champions for every position

1. A world class striker that scores lots of goals

2. A creative midfielder that sits deep

3. A fast right winger/forward

4. A physical defender to partner smalling

Not good enough for the very top level, Barca , Real, Bayern, nor any of the top teams weren't interested in him when he left us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Nope world class player on his day ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Bruno alves straight red card for launching himself and catching kane in the ear with his foot it was one hell of a wild challenge for a ball.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement