Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭Sand

WarZ wrote: »
    I just can't see him signing for a club that isn't even in the Champions League and will struggle to be in the top 4 again next year. It's a demotion in my opinion so I think he will either stay at Juventus or move to an actual bigger club such as Real.

That's fairly pessimistic. LVG was let go because top 4 was a very reasonable target for the squad he had. That squad plus improvements ought to consider top 4 as a minimum expectation, and assuming Mourinho still has his magic a title bid is possible. LCFC was the only standout team last season, all the rest were just as rubbish as United, or worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

At least we'll get a chance to see him in the Home dugout at OT tonight in the Soccer Aid match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Pogba will go to Madrid if they want him, they've won 2 European cups in the last few years we just can't compete.

Pjanic would be my pick

https://twitter.com/ManUtdUpdates_/status/739419497350631426

AS Roma midfielder Miralem Pjanić could be a Manchester United player before July. [La Repubblica]

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

zerks wrote: »
    At least we'll get a chance to see him in the Home dugout at OT tonight in the Soccer Aid match.

So what channel is the match on?

RobertKK wrote: »
    So what channel is the match on?

ITV HD. Dunno about UTV (They'll probably show a repeat of Downton or some junk like that)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

He pulled out of that didnt he?

ITV HD. Dunno about UTV (They'll probably show a repeat of Downton or some junk like that)

ITVHD is perfect. I never watch UTV.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    He pulled out of that didnt he?

There seems to be confusion about it. Most reports were he had pulled out of it. Then he did a load of publicity pictures the other day, and was sitting in the coaches position in the team pictures, as Phil Neville said he was looking forward to playing with him. Then there was some reports he was to simply be in the stands, watching the game. But there's not been anything official (as in from United or Soccer Aid).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

AS Roma midfielder Miralem Pjanić could be a Manchester United player before July. [La Repubblica]

I still remember a few seasons ago someone posted something to the effect of "Sounds like a Pjanic buy to me." Very clever, still makes me laugh.

Was there not reports that Barca were going to activate Pjanic's release clause. £30m was what I read a few days back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I would freak out

I would adore to see him in a utd shirt but I dont see it happening :(

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Was there not reports that Barca were going to activate Pjanic's release clause. £30m was what I read a few days back.

True,that is why I'm surprised by this coming out today.Even if a club meets a release clause,it doesn't mean said player will move to that club.

Lord TSC wrote: »

Yes and Real Madrid's mouthpiece Marca yesterday gleefully quoted the MEN as their source that United had hijacked the move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

That would be an excellent signing. Would United beat Barcelona to him though? Doubtful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I think we should try sign Lee Cattermole for our tiny little club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Ibrahimovic starting for Sweden vs Wales.

Kicking off at 3 on Setanta

Would watch except the French Open men's final is on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

RobertKK wrote: »
    Would watch except the French Open men's final is on.

French Open on Setanta Ireland
    Football on Setanta Sports 1

I'll be flicking back and forth :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

J. Marston wrote: »
    Can't stand Ibrahimovic and all the meme-y bullshít that follows him but it's a pretty great signing to get in for a year.

Don't know if you have read his auto biography but if you can try and pick it up. It will change your perception of the meme bull**** which he calls out. It's the most enjoyable footballing autobiography I've read.

Really looking forward to seeing him in a united shirt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am certain that Jose has spoken to prospective targets. His phone book must be amazing. He will get who he wants & probably had them lined up months ago. I have no doubt that Jose will make the calls himself if he feels that Woodward isn't up to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Ramsey's hair!!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Actually Jose would have been free to talk to anyone while he was out of work. He could have been asking any player if they were interested in joining him at United if he became manager in the Summer. That includes Zlatan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,372 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

astradave wrote: »

would be a transfer I could have no opinion on. Never watched the guy play. may have been involved in a couple of games I have watched but would never have been looking at him. The speed of the deal would indicate a primary target for Jose - or they quickly moved on from Varane and Stones. Either way it would seem to be a player Jose wants rather than just looking for any CB at the back end of the summer. Have to put some trust in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I would like to go on record and say I've been a huge fan of Baily ever since I first heard about him yesterday.

I'm always kinda against signing african players - purely cause of the African Cup every two bloody years. Losing a potentially key player every couple of years at a generally busy time has got to be annoying. Obviously it isn't something that has affected United much, and isn't something you can complain about on the basis you know about it when a player is signed - it is something you can and should plan for - but its still got to be annoying.

Discodog wrote: »
    I am certain that Jose has spoken to prospective targets. His phone book must be amazing. He will get who he wants & probably had them lined up months ago. I have no doubt that Jose will make the calls himself if he feels that Woodward isn't up to it.

A lot of talk he has been talking to prospective tagets for a good while now. Between himself and Mendes I would think they would have a players targeted and ready to commit to United, should United then offer the right fee and wages. Such as this Bailey fella - I would reckon Jose has had his name on a list for a good while. Maybe not the top name - but on it and ready to get done. I would still think Varane and Stones would have been higher priority targets but Madrid don't want to sell Varane and a lot of talk City have Stones basically done (from a player/personal terms point of view)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I would like to go on record and say I've been a huge fan of Baily ever since I first heard about him yesterday.

I have scouted him thoroughly using youtube and when there is a need I will make my arguments sound and clear. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

Zlatan assist :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

would be a transfer I could have no opinion on. Never watched the guy play. may have been involved in a couple of games I have watched but would never have been looking at him. The speed of the deal would indicate a primary target for Jose - or they quickly moved on from Varane and Stones. Either way it would seem to be a player Jose wants rather than just looking for any CB at the back end of the summer. Have to put some trust in that.

Still think wee need a good ball playing centre half in the Rio mould. And to me Stones ticks that box

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

I just can't see him signing for a club that isn't even in the Champions League and will struggle to be in the top 4 again next year. It's a demotion in my opinion so I think he will either stay at Juventus or move to an actual bigger club such as Real.
    Hes not being linked with Liverpool

Hes not being linked with Liverpool

No but he is being linked with a club that finished outside the top 4 in the season just gone and that was despite Chelsea being out of the running from very early on. I can't see Chelsea being that bad again next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

No but he is being linked with a club that finished outside the top 4 in the season just gone and that was despite Chelsea being out of the running from very early on. I can't see Chelsea being that bad again next season.

As bad as we were we lost out on 4th, to a billion pound team, on goal difference.

We won't be as bad next season.

But I'm sure you know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

I take it you don't think Utd will finish in the top 4 next season then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

astradave wrote: »

Is it? How many times has the average Irish football fan watched Villareal play? I watch about 2 or 3 La Liga games a weekend and even I have barely a breeze about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Is it not reasonable to expect that utd won't be as bad either. If utd didn't sign one player this window I'd expect at least champions league qualification. I fully expect Mourinho to get more out of each player in the team. It's a relatively young squad all the key players are young. A couple of signings and I expect utd to be contenders next year no question

Quandary wrote: »
    I take it you don't think Utd will finish in the top 4 next season then?

I said its not a certainty. I think Manchester United will struggle with Tottenham, Arsenal, Manchester City and Chelsea. Who knows how Leicester will perform next season and Liverpool with another season under Klopp could be a threat.

There's at least 7 teams in the running for top 4

I said its not a certainty. I think Manchester United will struggle with Tottenham, Arsenal, Manchester City and Chelsea. Who knows how Leicester will perform next season and Liverpool with another season under Klopp could be a threat.

There's at least 7 teams in the running for top 4

In fairness Liverpool will struggle for a europa cup spot klopp has done worse then rodgers in the league could be a long season for them next year...

United have a proven winner with Premier League form in Jose so they will easily make top 4..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

What's your deal WarZ? The only time I ever see you post in the soccer forum is when you're telling United fans how United are not a big club or to tell us that a certain player would be too good to join us.
    Do you do other stuff? Will we just have to get used to it?

Do you follow any PL team yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,976 ✭✭✭billyhead

If Mourinho rates this Eric Bailly chap for the CD position its good enough for me without ever seeing him play. I am sure he contacted Didier Drogba to get his feedback on him aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

WarZ wrote:

Why would you think chelsea can improve so much that utd will struggle or city who only finished ahead of us on goal difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

What's your deal WarZ? The only time I ever see you post in the soccer forum is when you're telling United fans how United are not a big club or to tell us that a certain player would be too good to join us.

He's worried that we'll actually do something under Mourinho. This is his way of venting by trying to tell us that United are a small sh1t club now.

I never said United weren't a big club I said they weren't as big a club as Juventus in response to a poster that said the only clubs bigger than United were Madrid, Bayern and Barcelona.

I've posted in lots of other threads and I fail to see how what team I support is relevant.

glued wrote: »
    He's worried that we'll actually do something under Mourinho. This is his way of venting by trying to tell us that United are a small sh1t club now.

I don't even follow a premier league club so that point is moot. And again can you please point out where I said United were a small club? Oh that's right you can't because I never did say that.

• Advertisement

Why would you think chelsea can improve so much that utd will struggle or city who only finished ahead of us on goal difference.

I think Conte is going to have a huge effect and I can see them doing well in the transfer market. Don't forget I said United will struggle for a top 4 place considering the aforementioned teams, that doesn't mean that the same isn't true for the other teams. I merely said that Pogba is not going to risk the potential of going more than 2 years without CL football when Real Madrid are looking for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Has Jose said anything about the utd job in the soccer aid thing?

Headshot wrote: »

Nope, barely said a word other than to say he'll be watching the game from the private box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Headshot wrote: »

I think he was quoted as telling all the other rival fans to keep sucking those bitter lemons :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Kirstie galagher has some set of muscles.....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement