Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGR_u9WIwb6/

josemourinho: An honour to host Pele at my new house

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

http://imgur.com/MYpBxOt

Jose in the match program, talking very briefly bout United.

And Ibrahimovic has said he'll have a big announcement on the 7th, and implied it was his choice for next season :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

WarZ wrote: »
    I never said United weren't a big club I said they weren't as big a club as Juventus

Go way and have a word with yourself lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I never said United weren't a big club I said they weren't as big a club as Juventus

Granted, United have never beaten Shamrock Rovers in Tallaght, or won any Italian domestic honours, but even as a Liverpool fan I have to say that United edge this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Lord TSC wrote: »

And Ibrahimovic has said he'll have a big announcement on the 7th, and implied it was his choice for next season :)

Buzzing. Can't wait to see him in a United shirt. The 7th is in 2 days!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Granted, United have never beaten Shamrock Rovers in Tallaght, or won any Italian domestic honours, but even as a Liverpool fan I have to say that United edge this one

The trophy cabinets prove otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭irishchris

Love how Jose refers to old Trafford as his new house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I never said United weren't a big club I said they weren't as big a club as Juventus in response to a poster that said the only clubs bigger than United were Madrid, Bayern and Barcelona.

I've posted in lots of other threads and I fail to see how what team I support is relevant.

That's because right now, Man Utd are a bigger club than Juventus due to the state of Serie A, and it's really not up for debate. Juve right now (as in, the last 4-5 years) are a better run and better managed side than Man Utd, which is also not really up for debate.

Isn't Buffon their highest paid player only on around 80k/wk? Probably has something to do with having to downsize to a 40,000 seater stadium because they couldn't even come that close to filling out the 67,000 seater Stadio del Alpi? This season they lagged behind both Milan and Napoli for average attendance. Meanwhile at Old Trafford, in our most thoroughly dull and wretched season since the 1980s, we had an average of over 72,000 - the highest in the Premier League by 14,000 per game. We sold 96.4% of our tickets in a stadium that's almost double the size of Juventus' - had they been able to match that percentage of tickets sold, they would have been able to put more bums in seats than Napoli.

Like I said, not up for debate - which is why you got laughed out of the other thread.

The trophy cabinets prove otherwise.
    Are you going to go back to claiming Man Utd never won the league before 1993?

Perhaps you will attempt to include making it to cup finals as being just-as-good as winning them?

Maybe you'll delight us by claiming that Serie A is not currently weaker than England because it was a much higher standard than the Premiership "up until very recently" (for those who consider 15-20 years ago to be 'very recent').

And of course, everyone looks at Intercontinental Cups, Intertoto Cups and Italian/European Super Cups as major trophies. :pac:

Are there any other gems I have forgotten here?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Sure how long was the old lady of Juventus corrupt before being found out?

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    Are you going to go back to claiming Man Utd never won the league before 1993?

Perhaps you will attempt to include making it to cup finals as being just-as-good as winning them?

Maybe you'll delight us by claiming that Serie A is not currently weaker than England because it was a much higher standard than the Premiership "up until very recently" (for those who consider 15-20 years ago to be 'very recent').

And of course, everyone looks at Intercontinental Cups, Intertoto Cups and Italian/European Super Cups as major trophies. :pac:

Are there any other gems I have forgotten here?

I am not going over this again.

Juventus have won more domestic titles, more domestic cups, 2 CL to Manchester's 3, more Uefa cups, more supercups, more intercontinental cups. They have been runners up 7 times in the CL and been in an incredible 9 finals. I'm sorry but no matter how you spin it Juventus have more trophies than United and thus can be accurately said to be a bigger team

Unless you can change those facts then there's no point in even debating it. Juventus have won more trophies across the board.

Also I have no idea where you got the idea that the serie A was weak since 15-20 years ago from, it was 12 years ago that it was an all Italian final in the CL and there have been Italian winners in 2007, 2010. I would argue the Italian league has only really been weak since 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I am not going over this again.

Juventus have won more domestic titles, more domestic cups, 2 CL to Manchester's 3, more Uefa cups, more supercups, more intercontinental cups. They have been runners up 7 times in the CL and been in an incredible 9 finals. I'm sorry but no matter how you spin it Juventus have more trophies than United and thus can be accurately said to be a bigger team

Unless you can change those facts then there's no point in even debating it. Juventus have won more trophies across the board.

Also I have no idea where you got the idea that the serie A was weak since 15-20 years ago from, it was 12 years ago that it was an all Italian final in the CL and there have been Italian winners in 2007, 2010. I would argue the Italian league has only really been weak since 2008.

Ah but we are though. It's not really up for debate at all.

That's because right now, Man Utd are a bigger club than Juventus due to the state of Serie A, and it's really not up for debate. Juve right now (as in, the last 4-5 years) are a better run and better managed side than Man Utd, which is also not really up for debate.

Isn't Buffon their highest paid player only on around 80k/wk? Probably has something to do with having to downsize to a 40,000 seater stadium because they couldn't even come that close to filling out the 67,000 seater Stadio del Alpi? This season they lagged behind both Milan and Napoli for average attendance. Meanwhile at Old Trafford, in our most thoroughly dull and wretched season since the 1980s, we had an average of over 72,000 - the highest in the Premier League by 14,000 per game. We sold 96.4% of our tickets in a stadium that's almost double the size of Juventus' - had they been able to match that percentage of tickets sold, they would have been able to put more bums in seats than Napoli.

Like I said, not up for debate - which is why you got laughed out of the other thread.

All well and good except that I was specifically referring to who has more trophies not who has more Asian fans when comparing the teams pedigree.

I'm not going to argue that United are much more wealthy and have a larger supporter base. I was talking in purely footballing terms.

All well and good except that I was specifically referring to who has more trophies not who has more Asian fans when comparing the teams pedigree.

I'm not going to argue that United are much more wealthy and have a larger supporter base. I was talking in purely footballing terms.

You have your "beliefs". We have our facts. Now run along back to your forum and leave us grown ups to talk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Buzzing. Can't wait to see him in a United shirt. The 7th is in 2 days!!!

Cheers Owen :P

irishchris wrote: »
    You have your "beliefs". We have our facts. Now run along back to your forum and leave us grown ups to talk

It's actually the other way around considering I'm arguing on the basis of facts.

I don't support some rival to Manchester United so I really don't have an agenda here.

So you consider Leeds to be a bigger club than Spurs, Sheffield Wednesday to be a bigger club than Man City, and Genoa, Bologna, Torino and Pro Vercelli to each be bigger than Roma, Lazio or Napoli.

Goalpost shifting effort in 3, 2, 1...

It's actually the other way around considering I'm arguing on the basis of facts.

I don't support some rival to Manchester United so I really don't have an agenda here.

Lol. Bye bye now

So you consider Leeds to be a bigger club than Spurs, Sheffield Wednesday to be a bigger club than Man City, and Genoa, Bologna, Torino and Pro Vercelli to each be bigger than Roma, Lazio or Napoli.

Goalpost shifting effort in 3, 2, 1...

If you read my original posts you will see I based it on two factors, trophies and current standing. Juventus come out on top in both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Whats wrong with having asian fans?

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Ah but we are though. It's not really up for debate at all.

What position do you play?

Whats wrong with having asian fans?

Did I say there was something wrong with having Asian fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The Chinese: a great bunch of lads.

Ahh goway will ya sure if thats the case celtic and rangers are bigger then juventus and united and not far off barca you are totally disregarding quality of league and circumstances like juventus been relegate for match fixing ect ect.

As someone said juve are now a well run club but thats just about it they are winning a poor quality league at the moment thats all they did.

Id hate to see you if you did have an agenda then.

If you read my original posts you will see I based it on two factors, trophies and current standing. Juventus come out on top in both.
    Goalposts... shifted! :pac:

What ever happened to...

And the current standing is that Juventus play in a weak league and are unable to convince the top talents to go for them as a result, though they do an excellent job of picking up guys cast off from other teams or who are not in demand from the top guys (Vidal, Pogba, Pirlo).

Ignoring this does not make it go away, and means you think Celtic are a bigger club than Arsenal or Man City since we are avoiding strengths of leagues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

What position do you play?

Cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I wonder how many more titles United could have if they did match fixing like Juventus did in the past?

I think warz is a bit of a spoofer

2jfhxqa.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Can't wait for him to join. People stressing about getting the best out of him and calling him lazy. He was coached that way. Keeping energy for the odd moments he gets to score. Another reason he will give his all is what he had to say about Mourinho.

Regarding Mancini sacking at Inter "he would be replaced by a guy called Jose Mourinho. I hadn't met him yet. He formed an attachment to me before we met. He would become a guy I was willing to die for"

jayo26 wrote: »
    Ahh goway will ya sure if thats the case celtic and rangers are bigger then juventus and united and not far off barca you are totally disregarding quality of league and circumstances like juventus been relegate for match fixing ect ect.

As someone said juve are now a well run club but thats just about it they are winning a poor quality league at the moment thats all they did.

Id hate to see you if you did have an agenda then.

I feel like I am repeating myself here, maybe people have short attention spans but as I have repeatedly said when I originally made the claim that Juventus were bigger than Man United in terms of pedigree I referred to trophy cabinet and current situation. From what I understand the match fixing titles were stripped from Juventus and are not included in their tally.

I think its fair to say Juventus are a bigger club than United looking at current circumstances and the trophy cabinets of both sides. Unfortunately a lot of posters here are either zealous fans of United or completely brainwashed by Sky Sports into believing that English clubs are the greatest, bestest clubs ever and that Wayne Rooney is a world class player on par with the likes of Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Pogba, Aguero.

I dont support any rivals, if it must be known I am a Bayern Munich fan and I stand by my statement that Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Juventus are all bigger clubs than Man United.

I don't feel the need to argue this any further, the trophy cabinet and the performances of both teams in Europe over the last 2 years agree with me.

• Advertisement

Regarding Mancini sacking at Inter "he would be replaced by a guy called Jose Mourinho. I hadn't met him yet. He formed an attachment to me before we met. He would become a guy I was willing to die for"

Imagine phil jones thinking this i couldsee him taking it literally.

Id love to see that attitude in the team next year its that kind of passion we been missing.

Goalposts... shifted! :pac:

What ever happened to...

If you actually read back to my original arguments I state that trophy cabinets and current standing are my standards. If that wasn't the case I would be arguing that Liverpool and AC Milan are bigger than United but I am not.
    And the current standing is that Juventus play in a weak league and are unable to convince the top talents to go for them as a result, though they do an excellent job of picking up guys cast off from other teams or who are not in demand from the top guys (Vidal, Pogba, Pirlo).

I am not arguing who can attract the better players but who is currently the stronger team and have the better trophy cabinet. And once again the vast majority of their titles were won when the Serie A was the strongest league in Europe.

Ignoring this does not make it go away, and means you think Celtic are a bigger club than Arsenal or Man City since we are avoiding strengths of leagues.

You cannot compare the Serie A to the SPL. Even in its current state. If the Serie A was so weak then why in the last 10 years have the same number of Italian teams won the Champions League as English teams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Aul Duncan is being very positive these days :D

https://twitter.com/DuncanCastles/status/739520080615251968

I think its fair to say Juventus are a bigger club than United looking at current circumstances and the trophy cabinets of both sides. Unfortunately a lot of posters here are either zealous fans of United or completely brainwashed by Sky Sports into believing that English clubs are the greatest, bestest clubs ever and that Wayne Rooney is a world class player on par with the likes of Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Pogba, Aguero.
    Your Man Utd fans comment doesn't wash since you were laughed out of the Jose Mourinho thread by fans of multiple clubs.

Your 'Sky Sports brainwashed' comment doesn't hold water because it was universally agreed in that very same thread that Barca, Madrid and Bayern are comfortably the biggest three clubs around right now.

You'll barely find anyone (you might well find no one) on here who would put Rooney in class with those guys. And this is the f'king Man United specific thread! :pac:

You're talking completely out of your arse, is what I guess I'm trying to say. This guy puts it better...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

astradave wrote: »
    Aul Duncan is being very positive these days :D

https://twitter.com/DuncanCastles/status/739520080615251968

If and when the transfer does go through, cue English media repeating their headlines similar to when Martial joined last year..

That said, £35 million pounds could prove to be a bargain in a few years time.

If you actually read back to my original arguments I state that trophy cabinets and current standing are my standards. If that wasn't the case I would be arguing that Liverpool and AC Milan are bigger than United but I am not.

I am not arguing who can attract the better players but who is currently the stronger team and have the better trophy cabinet. And once again the vast majority of their titles were won when the Serie A was the strongest league in Europe.

You cannot compare the Serie A to the SPL. Even in its current state. If the Serie A was so weak then why in the last 10 years have the same number of Italian teams won the Champions League as English teams?

Lol sad. You done now?
    With you being a bayern Munich fan I could not think what could possibly have made you this bitter towards united :-) ............best not mention 99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Lads stop feeding the troll.
    Back onto the talk of transfers apart from Zlatan will we manage to get anyone over the line in the next week or so.
    Would prefer to have a lot of the deals tied up quickly.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    If and when the transfer does go through, cue English media repeating their headlines similar to when Martial joined last year..

That said, £35 million pounds could prove to be a bargain in a few years time.

Its actually 35 million euros mate better again.

irishchris wrote: »
    Lol sad. You done now?
    With you being a bayern Munich fan I could not think what could possibly have made you this bitter towards united :-) ............best not mention 99

It says a lot about you if you honestly believe someone could be bitter over a defeat that happened 17 years ago :)

Speaking of Champions League in the last 3 years the following teams have made it to the finals: Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus coincidentally the four teams I said were bigger than United (the other teams that made it to CL finals were Dortmund and Atletico)

I'm loving the bitterness from opposition fans atm!!! :P

The season hasn't even begun and opposition fans are blabbing out random baloney for the sake of it - ' Juventus are a bigger team than United.' lol :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

jayo26 wrote: »
    Its actually 35 million euros mate better again.

Balague says 40 million yoyos so it's probably that, given his record ;)

I'm loving the bitterness from opposition fans atm!!! :P

The season hasn't even begun and opposition fans are blabbing out random baloney for the sake of it - ' Juventus are a bigger team than United.' lol :p

I'm not a rival fan. And if you look at the records of both teams and the current situation of both teams then Juventus are the bigger team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Right lads, let's move on from the Juventus thing. If you feel someone is trolling, report and ignore. Thats always the line.

Balague says 40 million yoyos so it's probably that, given his record ;)

Definitely not 40 million euro then so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

United have a proven winner with Premier League form in Jose so they will easily make top 4..
    . Just like the team he led from 1st to nowhere last year 😂. All aboard the Jose bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

I feel like I am repeating myself here, maybe people have short attention spans but as I have repeatedly said when I originally made the claim that Juventus were bigger than Man United in terms of pedigree I referred to trophy cabinet and current situation. From what I understand the match fixing titles were stripped from Juventus and are not included in their tally.

I dont support any rivals, if it must be known I am a Bayern Munich fan and I stand by my statement that Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Juventus are all bigger clubs than Man United.

I don't feel the need to argue this any further, the trophy cabinet and the performances of both teams in Europe over the last 2 years agree with me.

I'd call 20 English titles more impressive than 26 Bundesligas, it's not like we can buy Chelsea/City's/Liverpool's best players every summer ye know :rolleyes: On the pitch Bayern are better now, but the overall size of the clubs is the same, United are on the same level as Bayern, Barca, Real Madrid and Juventus whether you like it or not :D

I'm not a rival fan. And if you look at the records of both teams and the current situation of both teams then Juventus are the bigger team.

Lol what exactly is the point of this argument may I ask. What exactly are you trying to get across - it's as if you won't stop unless we United fans give in and say 'Oh you're actually right buddy, Juventus are without a doubt the bigger team,'

Give it a break and bring your trolling somewhere else

Edit: Speaking of trolling, Mod to the rescue :)

That's funny because I could have SWORN when I brought up the weakness of Serie A right now (see: Juventus downsizing their stadium and unable to sell tickets, unable to pay wages even in the same ballpark as Man Utd, and having less European spots) it all of a sudden was...
    I was specifically referring to who has more trophies

But when it is pointed out that that makes Leeds bigger than Spurs and Pro Vercelli bigger than Roma, it mysteriously again becomes about 'recent success'.
    I am not arguing who can attract the better players but who is currently the stronger team and have the better trophy cabinet.
    Funny, because I could have SWORN your original comment was about Man Utd not being 'one of the biggest jobs in the world' when it comes to football management. If it's not, then it's not as appealing or attractive as the 'real' big ones, which makes me wonder how you can even try to claim to NOT be talking about the 'pull factor' of a club (something you seem to think is irrelevant to the size of a club and it's managerial job, which is hilarious but a different matter of it's own).
    And once again the vast majority of their titles were won when the Serie A was the strongest league in Europe.
    Which ones was Italy the strongest league in Europe for, and I want you to name more than 25 of them since you insisted on using the term "vast majority".

Winners (32): 1905, 1925–26,[114] 1930–31, 1931–32, 1932–33, 1933–34, 1934–35, 1949–50, 1951–52, 1957–58, 1959–60, 1960–61, 1966–67, 1971–72, 1972–73, 1974–75, 1976–77, 1977–78, 1980–81, 1981–82, 1983–84, 1985–86, 1994–95, 1996–97, 1997–98, 2001–02, 2002–03, 2004–05[nb 5], 2005–06[nb 5], 2011–12, 2012–13, 2013–14, 2014–15, 2015–16

I look forward to hearing you tell us how and in some detail, Italy was definitely the best league in Europe in the 30s and before, in the 1950s, in the 2000s, and in the 2010s. This will be entertaining.

Well either that or you'll try to shift the goalposts again and hope nobody notices. Hhhmmm, which will it be?
    You can compare England to Italy like you can compare Italy to Scotland. It is comparing a stronger league against a weaker one.

Why do you think England has more Champions League spots than Italy? Go on, it's because of Sky Sports hyping up Wayne Rooney, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Berb goal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Berbatov scores at OT again.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement