Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I will be very happy if this Eric Bailly fella signs this week. Also if Zlatan signs too it will be a fantastic week. Mainly because it indicates we may have learned from previous Summers mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

What squad number will King Zlatan get lads? He's wore 8 9 10 11 and 18 in recent times from memory.

• Have to admit, this made me giggle....

https://twitter.com/JoseZeJoker/status/739495508985708544

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Is the confidence over Ibra joining in jest or serious? I'll still be surprised if it happens.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Have to admit, this made me giggle....

https://twitter.com/JoseZeJoker/status/739495508985708544

Ha ha ha very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

GSPfan wrote: »
    I will be very happy if this Eric Bailly fella signs this week. Also if Zlatan signs too it will be a fantastic week. Mainly because it indicates we may have learned from previous Summers mistakes.
    Berbatov...Zlatan...whats been learned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Hopefully wrong, not going to win the league with that run in.

First glance the run in is fine, December would be exciting.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

jpboard1 wrote: »
    Berbatov...Zlatan...whats been learned?

Free transfer for 12 months with an option for another 12 is well worth a punt.

We were utterly impotent up front last season.

If Ibra could get us an extra 15 goals between scoring himself and assists then its money well spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

gosplan wrote: »
    Anyone any reservations about Ibra's age?

Like obviously he's still banging them in but how long do people think he can go on for?

It's nuts that he's so prolific at that age.

I don't have reservations about his age and I don't expect him to bang them in the way he has been for the last number of years.

I would hope he could provide a catalyst for success by his all round influence rather then simply his goalscoring feats.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Zlatan 60 minutes flat out with Rashford raring to go off the bench, sounds ideal. Could even reverse it and have Ibra as the impact sub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I would be happy enough if zlatan joined but he wouldnt fill me with excitement or anything now i wouldnt be proclaiming were back or fixed our forward line.

His announcement tomorrow i have a feeling is just gonna be about his clothing, united wouldnt leave it for the player to announce it.

Zlatan 60 minutes flat out with Rashford raring to go off the bench, sounds ideal. Could even reverse it and have Ibra as the impact sub.

Imagine trying to explain to ibra he is an impact sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

jayo26 wrote: »
    Imagine trying to explain to ibra he is an impact sub.

Mourinho could

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    United's fixture for 2016/17 have apparently leaked online, obviously to be taken with a pinch of salt

13343082_634126820071438_4303452899563304397_n.jpg?oh=10ebb9d6f81a7c7b78924501d0a23dd5&oe=57CBEE9E

It is suppose to be a fake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

The Premier League have confirmed the fixture leak was a hoax. http://www.espnfc.com/barclays-premier-league/story/2887168/premier-league-confirms-leaked-fixtures-for-2016-17-season-are-a-hoax

Good as December looked dodgy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

First glance the run in is fine, December would be exciting.

Liverpool, city and Chelsea all away in April would be a tough ask, imo.

The programme on mutv of nicky butt talking about his time at united is a really good watch its just over now but worth looking out for its a few years old as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Pretty amusing cover of UWS Magazine

CkRGwERXIAEQnAS.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I think that it's a really hard call whether to sign Ibra or not.

I mean signing SUCH a dominant player for a single year just leaves you with a rebuilding job in 12 more months. Like one thing you can say for sure is that he won't be a bit-part player. If you sign Ibra, he IS the striker.

Then there's the question of whether he'll be up to it or dip in the PL like Schwein.

But on the other hand, he just had his best goalscoring return ever.

Really hard to know. It could be amazing and it could be terrible. Won't be dull though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

If we sign Ibra I can only see it being a good thing. We are short up front and yet ideally shouldn't be signing a top striker in his prime as it will stifle the development of Rashford and to a lesser extent possibly Martial.

On paper at least, Ibrahimovic would be a perfect addition to the attacking options.

Worst case scenario he flops and has little impact on the team. He might cost us £15m in wages but that's about it, no to mention the revenue he will generate for the club on the commercial side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

just reading over the last few pages and saw someone being laughed out of the place for suggesting United may struggle to get into the top 4. in what world is that not a reasonable statement?

this thread has gone from a place a few weeks ago where you couldn't say anything positive to a place you can't say anything negative/realistic.

I think United will finish in the top 4, but it is by no means guaranteed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

gosplan wrote: »
    I think that it's a really hard call whether to sign Ibra or not.

I mean signing SUCH a dominant player for a single year just leaves you with a rebuilding job in 12 more months. Like one thing you can say for sure is that he won't be a bit-part player. If you sign Ibra, he IS the striker.

Then there's the question of whether he'll be up to it or dip in the PL like Schwein.

But on the other hand, he just had his best goalscoring return ever.

Really hard to know. It could be amazing and it could be terrible. Won't be dull though.

Jose isn't going to rebuild the team completely in year one.

We need a new centre half, a new CM and a winger along with a striker. If we can get two of those spots filled with long term players then I'd be pretty happy.

Ibra coming in for a year means that's 3 filled.

It gives Jose the time to fully assess what he has while simultaneously fixing a couple of problematic areas.

I'm not 100% sold on Ibra myself but for 12 months its a no brainer imo.

Im not worried about ibra long term, as everyone has said he is a short term fix to a short term problem. Longterm our goals should come from martial and hopefully rashford of he keeps developing.

I think the creative side of the team is the most important fix this year we need someone to break up play and pass forward and control a game. Then a right winger and center back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What squad number will King Zlatan get lads? He's wore 8 9 10 11 and 18 in recent times from memory.

I hope Martial keeps the number 9 especially since I've ordered the away jersey with his name and number on it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

jayo26 wrote: »
    Im not worried about ibra long term, as everyone has said he is a short term fix to a short term problem. Longterm our goals should come from martial and hopefully rashford of he keeps developing.

I think the creative side of the team is the most important fix this year we need someone to break up play and pass forward and control a game. Then a right winger and center back.

Ibra shows no signs of slowing down, if anything he is getting better. He will be an excellent signing and could really teach the likes of Martial and Rashford

kevovek wrote: »
    I hope Martial keeps the number 9 especially since I've ordered the away jersey with his name and number on it :p

I don't see them taking it off him... Perhaps 18 like at PSG ir 11 if Adnan leaves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Need Ibrahimovic to be announced, sweating bullets for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

there were rumors a few weeks ago about Martial taking 7 off Memphis (maybe an indication of Memphis being sold) and Ibrahimovic getting 9.

Unless there is some early pre-season number swapping, I can't see a number being confirmed til much later in the window, close to the start of the season. There are no numbers you would consider 'appropriate' (if such a thing even matters) free. Currently, 2, 3, 13, 14, 15, 24, 26.

Could end up being given 14 - doesn't seem Ibra is 'married' to any particular number. Unless a first teamer is sold (Memphis, Mata possibly most likely here)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Ah lads come on, ye are about to sign zlatan, one of the games great entertainers both on and off the pitch.

Forget the year after, it's all about the present, ye should embrace him now because if he signs he will be king at old Trafford in a couple of months.

It's people like zlatan that make football worth watching so just enjoy him will ye, if ye don't, then ye don't deserve him !!!!!! 😉

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Watched Martial and Rashford's goals from the season just gone.

Some incredible finishing and link ups with players around them.

Really excited to see how Jose gets the rest of the team functioning to provide chances.

• Advertisement

there were rumors a few weeks ago about Martial taking 7 off Memphis (maybe an indication of Memphis being sold) and Ibrahimovic getting 9.

Unless there is some early pre-season number swapping, I can't see a number being confirmed til much later in the window, close to the start of the season. There are no numbers you would consider 'appropriate' (if such a thing even matters) free. Currently, 2, 3, 13, 14, 15, 24, 26.

Could end up being given 14 - doesn't seem Ibra is 'married' to any particular number. Unless a first teamer is sold (Memphis, Mata possibly most likely here)

Shaw wears 3

Hopefully Jose doesn't sell Memphis or Mata

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Shaw switched to 23 last summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Shaw wears 3

Hopefully Jose doesn't sell Memphis or Mata

Nah Shaw swapped 3 for 23 last summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

just reading over the last few pages and saw someone being laughed out of the place for suggesting United may struggle to get into the top 4. in what world is that not a reasonable statement?

this thread has gone from a place a few weeks ago where you couldn't say anything positive to a place you can't say anything negative/realistic.

I think United will finish in the top 4, but it is by no means guaranteed.

Top 4 is a minimum expectation.

Minimum. Not an achievable expectation, not a realistic expectation, not an acceptable expectation, a minimum expectation. Thats just how it is at the biggest club in the league with a top manager and a lot of money spent.

For all Van Gaals bull**** these expectations have not ever changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I'm all for romance and giving youth a chance but the club has to be realistic; are Rashford and Martial ready to be relied on to get the goals to win the league? I'm not convinced, even with the addition of Ibra, Utd need another top class centre-forward. Rooney isn't that man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I'm all for romance and giving youth a chance but the club has to be realistic; are Rashford and Martial ready to be relied on to get the goals to win the league? I'm not convinced, even with the addition of Ibra, Utd need another top class centre-forward. Rooney isn't that man.

Agreed, United need another centre forward, and a right winger even with Zlatan because it would be madness to rely on Rooney again and Rashford is just 18. They need to be experienced players in the 26-27+ age range. Man United already have two very exciting young players with a lot of potential - there is zero need to sign some 21-22 year old who had a breakout season in the Hungarian 3rd division last year. Martial has scored 17 goals this season. Rashford scored 8 in 18. Martial is already established first team material on the LW, and Rashford I think can rotate between CF and RW with games picked out for him, and to rest the more experienced players.

Top 4 is a minimum expectation.

Minimum. Not an achievable expectation, not a realistic expectation, not an acceptable expectation, a minimum expectation. Thats just how it is at the biggest club in the league with a top manager and a lot of money spent.

For all Van Gaals bull**** these expectations have not ever changed.

You haven't really addressed my point . Is the suggestion that United could struggle to get into the top 4 unrealistic? Or are we all to ignore realism and the notion that it might actually be quite difficult, simply because the club is big and famous? I never once mentioned expectations and neither did the poster who started the topic. But I do find it amazing that this kind of topic is dismissed as rubbish because we're all supposed to be on the positivity train now after disembarking the negativity train a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You haven't really addressed my point . Is the suggestion that United could struggle to get into the top 4 unrealistic?

Yes, it is unrealistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Top 4 ought to be the absolute minimum expectation for Manchester United, not because it's their birth-right, but because it's not so long ago that they were favourites/joint-favouites heading into every new season. So it's the minimum United fans should expect and I'd say the same about any clubs with such a recent history of regular success.

But that doesn't necessarily mean it's realistic...

We missed out this season and only scraped it the year before. Plus, Jose's most recent Premier League team done a nose-dive down the table and I suspect he would never have bagged a Champions League spot had he remained in place.

In fairness, you'd have to think it was a one-off for Jose, but a mini-pattern has emerged for Manchester United of struggling to get into the top 4. That is the raw truth.

If next season is different for everyone and the 'usual suspects' at the top of the table hit the ground running, and Jose and Man U are left trying to figure each other out and settle down yet another crop of hired guns, then a top 4 could prove to be a very big ask of Jose in his first season at Old Trafford.

I hope I'm wrong, very wrong, but surely to god United fans aren't still being complacent about their top 4 status? How can a team that's preparing for the Europa League confidently expect to automatically come at least 4th place next season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Apparently koeman going to Everton, odd one but with that new owner it might mean them not becoming a selling club

Yes, it is unrealistic.

Well I think for most rational people there are at least five teams who will be very evenly matched next season and the gap between the champions and fifth place is likely to be quite narrow.

You have Guardiola at City and Conte at Chelsea. Both clubs underachieved last season and are likely to, at the very least be on a similar level to United. City, especially have a number of key players who would walk into any club side in Europe. Conte may be more of an unknown, granted. You have Arsenal who are ahead of all three in terms of having a settled team and despite being often mocked they have qualified for the CL every season for nearly two decades and have been progressing slowly in recent seasons. Then you have Tottenham who, despite trailing off at the end looked very strong last season and there is no reason to think they will be any weaker next season and they will probably add more depth to their squad.

If anyone thinks United are just going to walk into the top 4 next season then I think that's delusional.

Again, I think they will just about get there but I think all five of those listed clubs (plus maybe one or two others) will have a real fight on their hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

You haven't really addressed my point . Is the suggestion that United could struggle to get into the top 4 unrealistic? Or are we all to ignore realism and the notion that it might actually be quite difficult, simply because the club is big and famous? I never once mentioned expectations and neither did the poster who started the topic. But I do find it amazing that this kind of topic is dismissed as rubbish because we're all supposed to be on the positivity train now after disembarking the negativity train a couple of weeks ago.

Yes it's unrealistic. Possible? yes.

Let's be honest, if United didn't get into the CL next season with all the resources at their mercy, one of the best managers in world football and a more than decent squad then we'd all be surprised, big time.

Mourinho has had one bad spell as a manager in all his career, just because that was last season I wouldn't let it cloud my judgement of him as manager.

He's also always been a really quick starter at new clubs.

Porto
    First two full seasons won the league both times

Chelsea

Inter

Real
    Won league in second season

Chelsea part 2
    Wont he league in second season

There's literally nothing to suggest we should expect anything other than top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

All big if's at the moment and I am really getting far ahead of myself here but I'd say IF Ibra joins he will take 11. Januzaj won't be at the club for the start of the season and I'd be fairly confident in saying that. Hopefully he's loaned out to a premier league side that will play him as a 1st team member.... I still have a small amount of hope for him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Pickpocket wrote: »
    a mini-pattern has emerged for Manchester United of struggling to get into the top 4. That is the raw truth.

If next season is different for everyone and the 'usual suspects' at the top of the table hit the ground running, and Jose and Man U are left trying to figure each other out and settle down yet another crop of hired guns, then a top 4 could prove to be a very big ask of Jose in his first season at Old Trafford.

I hope I'm wrong, very wrong, but surely to god United fans aren't still being complacent about their top 4 status? How can a team that's preparing for the Europa League confidently expect to automatically come at least 4th place next season?

Who are the usual suspects at the top of the table?

The period of this mini-pattern you've identified has seen City go from chamipions and dead cert title favourites to 4th place on goal difference, you might suggest there's a pattern of slow decline there. Liverpool have gone from title contenders to 8th in a more verticle slide. Chelsea have fallen furtherest all and probably have most to worry about.

Arsenal seem to be the only team who could take top 4 for granted if you're going to search for patterns over short periods of time without taking any other factors into consideration.

For what it's worth I think we're certain to finish Top 3 next season. :p

Impossible to predict with any certainty who will be the top 4 teams next season until we see who each of the teams gets on board next season. This season's top 4 will not stay the same, that is one thing I'm sure about.

Leicester are already bleeding their best players, and once two of them will go then the others will see the writing on the wall and jump ship. They'll struggle big time to replace Mahrez and Vardy who look certs to go and I wouldn't bet against them losing the likes of Kante and Morgan too.

Arsenal should be fine but they need to add to the squad just to stay still. It looked for a long time last season like they would finish 3rd and only a collapse by Spurs allowed them to get second. With the traditional big boys sure to be back in the mixer they may struggle but I'd bet on them getting 4th.

Spurs, another side who capitolised on the struggles of the big teams, but still seen a potential title turn into a disappointing 3rd place finish. Unlike Leicester I fancy them to keep their best players and possibly strengthen, but the champions league will take it's toll and if City, United, Chelsea and Liverpool have decent seasons then they'll drop out.

City are getting one of the best managers in world football and I fancy them to be a force in Europe, but it may take Pep longer to figure out the premiership. They've an aging squad that despite having spent a load of money on still rely's on the old boys to pull them through games, with injuries they look vulnerable and that's something he needs to sort out.

The other 3 sides that will challenge I'm sure are United, Chelsea and Liverpool.

United, signed a manager who know's the league like none of the other new boys and is already adding to an already very strong squad. I fancy United to do really well in the league this season and finish in the top 2 positions.

Chelsea have the furthest to come from, but last season is gone and this one is anew. Conte has pedigree but he'll need to do something drastic to change the attitude of the players there. They do though have one of the strongest squads in the league and I'd fully expect them to get into the top 3.

Liverpool are one of the few clubs among the top teams that have the luxury of having a manager in place from last season. Klopp has shown that he's a very good manager in spells at Liverpool and with a clean run at the league they will get close. I do think they need more quality added than most of the others and with no champions league they might struggle to attract the level of player needed. Coutinhio is their only real top top player who is fit regularly and he may be on the way out which will hurt them big time.

Top 6 for me next season.
    United
    City
    Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Liverpool
    Spurs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

According to oddschecker only man city have shorter odds for finishing top 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It looks likes we are interested in Pachuca's Hirving Lozano ( 20 yr old Mexican left winger ) according to their club Vice President Andres Fassi, could be just driving his price up as well.

Obligatory Youtube Video.

I like Mexicans.

Hope we sign him ive been watching him for ages since i found out about him 2 mins ago...... always liked him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Rumours floating around that Giggs is tipped for the Bolton job. It would be a good test for him to prove that he is managerial material.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement