Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Apparently if any other Striker is on the verge to sign for any other club then it's "Player X Snubs Man Utd for Team Y" with no evidence to back it up.
    Great for selling the rags in the morning tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

While mahrez, vardy and kante were excelent last year they need to think long term.

What if they have an average season next year will the big clubs be still looking at them

They can stay at Leicester and who are more than likely to fall away or they can join united who with mourinho and heaps of money could be very successfull for the next few years.

• Nuts102 wrote: »
    While mahrez, vardy and kante were excelent last year they need to think long term.

What if they have an average season next year will the big clubs be still looking at them

They can stay at Leicester and who are more than likely to fall away or they can join united who with mourinho and heaps of money could be very successfull for the next few years.

Mahrez & Kante would be considered long term IMO
    But we don't need Kante.
    We already have Schneiderlan and if Jose can get the best out of him I would rate him as a better player. He had a bad season last year, that's all.
    Same with Depay who I still have faith in and he's younger.
    I think the work Jose has to do is less related to transfers and more to do with tactics and player coaching of his current squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

That is one of the rumours - that ourselves, Chelsea, Arsenal, City and I presume a number of clubs were offered him (by his agent) a month or so back and no one bit on it - something has happened since then to change Arsenal's mind.

It is just a rumour though - could be we wanted him but he wasn't interested and Ibrahimovic is a replacement target. Who knows?

i would highly doubt that in fairness...its Jamie Vardy at the end of the day. only a few years ago was playing with Fleetwood town and before that Halifax town and only 6 years ago stocksbridge park steels!!!!!!!

the lad is 29, a 1 season wonder, will never have the season he had with leicester again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its harsh on Leicester but imo those players should grab what they can while the going is good. Fair play to them for winning the title but I have little doubt whatsoever that they will fall back into the pack no matter who stays or goes. Should they really miss out on their big chance to move to a bigger club just so they can play in the group stages of the CL? Because thats as far as Leicester will go.

(I'm mainly talking Kante and Mahrez here, I think Vardy should stay, I don't think he would be a success at Arsenal)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

bangkok wrote: »
    i would highly doubt that in fairness...its Jamie Vardy at the end of the day. only a few years ago was playing with Fleetwood town and before that Halifax town and only 6 years ago stocksbridge park steels!!!!!!!

the lad is 29, a 1 season wonder, will never have the season he had with leicester again.

I'm just surprised Liverpool weren't knocking for him. They picked up all the one season wonders of the last few years, Carroll, Adam, Ings, even Balotelli to a degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Good thing United missed out on Neymar, because he's in big trouble with the Spanish authorities.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/740091217304641536?lang=en

Spanish authorities need to look like they are actually going after tax fraud and evasion. Considering the bailout Spain received and the general collapse of their economy and suffering of their people, obvious PR retaliation to show the people they are looking after their interests and getting those big bad footballers.

Behind closed doors, I imagine Spanish FA orchestrating settlements and leniant punishments. Their league is pretty much propt up by the image they have and can attract the best players in the game.

Then again there is wonderful stories and conspiracies about how it always seems to be Barca players. That club has so many skeletons in its closet I hope all is revelaed in my lifetime.

Its harsh on Leicester but imo those players should grab what they can while the going is good. Fair play to them for winning the title but I have little doubt whatsoever that they will fall back into the pack no matter who stays or goes. Should they really miss out on their big chance to move to a bigger club just so they can play in the group stages of the CL? Because thats as far as Leicester will go.

(I'm mainly talking Kante and Mahrez here, I think Vardy should stay, I don't think he would be a success at Arsenal)

harsh. They will be seeded in pot 1 so there is a great chance they will get to the knockout stages of the champions league if they keep most of their players.

I'm just surprised Liverpool weren't knocking for him. They picked up all the one season wonders of the last few years, Carroll, Adam, Ings, even Balotelli to a degree.

think they going to try for Higuain this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

bangkok wrote: »
    think they going to try for Higuain this summer

Good luck to them.

Anyway, hope we're in the mix for Mahrez. He's young and has bags of raw talent, plus he's a right winger. That'd be a nice setup
    Martial---Ibra---Mahrez

Rooney

Blind
    Gomes
    -Shaw-Smalling-Bailly-Darmian-
    De Gea

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Gotta love silly season. According to El Confidencial, Jose wants rid of Memphis, Schwieinsteiger, Mata, Herrera, Young, Valencia, Darmian, Fellaini, Varela, Rojo and Romero, and wants to loan out Shaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Gotta love silly season. According to El Confidencial, Jose wants rid of Memphis, Schwieinsteiger, Mata, Herrera, Young, Valencia, Darmian, Fellaini, Varela, Rojo and Romero, and wants to loan out Shaw.

I bet he just wants rid of El Confidencial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Also, I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but isn't Ibra's big announcement something to do with his brand of clothing? It would be clever of him to focus everyone on the event by being ambiguous about a "big bombshell" announcement, if everyone assumes it's going to be about his next destination. Instant publicity guaranteed.

I'd love it to be done and dusted today, but I won't be surprised if it doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Really hope Herrera doesn't leave unless I'm blinded but anytime we played any decent attacking football he was on the pitch.

I hope many don't leave Damian, Herrera, Schweini in particular they didn't turn into bad players overnight and to a lesser extent Depay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

v3ttel wrote: »
    Also, I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but isn't Ibra's big announcement something to do with his brand of clothing? It would be clever of him to focus everyone on the event by being ambiguous about a "big bombshell" announcement, if everyone assumes it's going to be about his next destination. Instant publicity guaranteed.

I'd love it to be done and dusted today, but I won't be surprised if it doesn't.

Yeh i said it and i still cant see it been about united its not uniteds style to let the player have tye attention and they definitely wouldnt want it to come out as its him picking the club.

• Lord TSC wrote: »

Ah ffs Shaw, go way outa that (Haha FutureGuy)

The above would be madness if true but we all know its ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Mahrez & Kante would be considered long term IMO
    But we don't need Kante.
    We already have Schneiderlan and if Jose can get the best out of him I would rate him as a better player. He had a bad season last year, that's all.

Really?

• CSF wrote: »
    Really?

Really what?

Really what?

Schneiderlin better than Kante?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Beckenbaur saying Bastian is better now he is away from "his problems in Manchester".

I wonder if his 'injury' was merely down to the fact he was pissed off playing under LVG.
    He went from a man who was dictating and cajoling on the pitch,demanding the ball and where he wanted players to move to gone out of the team.Who could blame him really,a super intelligent footballer being made play sterile by the numbers football.
    Some would sayy he should have knuckled down and helped the team but that was hard when he was being used as a bit part player,notice the miraculous recovery when he linked up with the German squad,he was in a leg brace the week before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

CSF wrote: »

You mean Kante, who has played one season in the PL? Let's see what happens next season but calling Kante better after one season is a bit knee jerk.

People are losing the run of themselves on Kante after one good season.

As I stated Yes IMO

Fans can be fickle and quickly forget

One of a set of 24 Euro 2016 posters.

34F87FB500000578-0-image-a-99_1465217548961.jpg

glued wrote: »
    You mean Kante, who has played one season in the PL? Let's see what happens next season but calling Kante better after one season is a bit knee jerk.

People are losing the run of themselves on Kante after one good season.

You can play one season at the top level and be excellent. 38 games is a long stretch of time.

Calling Kante better after one season makes perfect sense given that Schneiderlin was never as good as Kante was last season, not at Southampton, not at United. Not even close. Kante was the best player in his position by a distance last season, possibly the best in the league, rivalled only by another guy who has only had one good season who therefore probably isn't as good as Depay or Mata or someone based on the same flawed logic.

As I stated Yes IMO

Fans can be fickle and quickly forget

Quickly forget what? When was Schneiderlin ever in the running for best player in the league?

Quickly forget what? When was Schneiderlin ever in the running for best player in the league?

No..so..what's your point? Has been a great player for Southampton and there is no reason we won't see it again at United. He's only 26 and with the right manager I expect it to happen again.
    In this case it would be the wrong move to buy Kante

Kantes one season in the PL may have gone to your head

Remember when Schneiderlin joined us? 100% pass completion,creating chances,getting in the box and scoring.LVG and his "philosophy" coached all that was good about him out of his play and turned him into a shadow of the player we signed.He wanted robots and not instinctive footballers.

No..so..what's your point? Has been a great player for Southampton and there is no reason we won't see it again at United. He's only 26 and with the right manager I expect it to happen again.
    In this case it would be the wrong move to buy Kante

Kantes one season in the PL may have gone to your head

My point is that Schneiderlin at his best was never as good as Kante is now and Schneiderlin has not been at his best over the last 2 years. How therefore can he be better than Kante, which is what we're discussing, rather than whether United should sign Kante.

You can play one season at the top level and be excellent. 38 games is a long stretch of time.

Calling Kante better after one season makes perfect sense given that Schneiderlin was never as good as Kante was last season, not at Southampton, not at United. Not even close. Kante was the best player in his position by a distance last season, possibly the best in the league, rivalled only by another guy who has only had one good season who therefore probably isn't as good as Depay or Mata or someone based on the same flawed logic.

I watched a small bit of Caen when Kante was playing there; looked a good player and was above average but didn't overly stand out and Suebe seemed to stand out way more than him. His performances this year have made me extremely dubious about the standard we're currently seeing in the PL.

Describing Kante, after one season, as a better player than Schneiderlin is ridiculous at best. Let's see what happens next year but judging players based on one season is incredibly knee jerk.

• Advertisement

I watched a small bit of Caen when Kante was playing there; looked a good player and was above average but didn't overly stand out and Suebe seemed to stand out way more than him. His performances this year have made me extremely dubious about the standard we're currently seeing in the PL.

Describing Kante, after one season, as a better player than Schneiderlin is ridiculous at best. Let's see what happens next year but judging players based on one season is incredibly knee jerk.

Was Schneiderlin ever as good as Kante is now? Of course not. Kante was probably the best player in the Premier League last season. When was Schneiderlin ever even close to that? I mean there's tinted glasses and there's this.

Was Schneiderlin ever as good as Kante is now? Of course not. Kante was probably the best player in the Premier League last season. When was Schneiderlin ever even close to that? I mean there's tinted glasses and there's this.

That's silly logic. One season doesn't make you a good player. Kante is in the form of his life but let's see how he does next year. You can be knee jerk and I'll be realistic.

That's silly logic. One season doesn't make you a good player. Kante is in the form of his life but let's see how he does next year. You can be knee jerk and I'll be realistic.

No, the Kante one season argument makes perfect sense against players who have been at that level a lot in previous seasons but maybe weren't as good as Kante last year, like Fabregas or someone. But not Schneiderlin who has never been at that level. Kante has one season under his belt as a realistic contender for best player in the league. Schneiderlin hasn't even got one being close to that.

Let's see how he does next year is fine as an argument but he can drop back a bit from what he was this year and still be better than what Schneiderlin has been over the last 2 years. Fair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Remember Amir Zaki was the best striker in the league? Or Michu?

Remember Amir Zaki was the best striker in the league? Or Michu?

Nope, never. Do you?

Nope, never. Do you?

For a time, their form was better than most.

• Advertisement

For a time, their form was better than most.

That's not really the same thing as being the best player in the Premier League (or perhaps 2nd if your opinion differs to mine) and driving your team to the Premier League with consistently outstanding performances over the course of an entire season is it? I don't get why your even mention those players when there's pretty much no similarities.

That's not really the same thing as being the best player in the Premier League (or perhaps 2nd if your opinion differs to mine) and driving your team to the Premier League with consistently outstanding performances over the course of an entire season is it? I don't get why your even mention those players when there's pretty much no similarities.

Your argument is flawed in that you are saying Schneiderlin can't be a better player than Kante because Schneiderlin was never the best in his position in a season. What if Kante never repeats that kind of season again or gets even close to it? (Zaki/Michu) While Schneiderlin is a solid 7/10 player for years?

I'd like to see the likes of Vardy, Mahrez and Kante at another team before making my mind up on them. It's strange how they went from nothing to greatness in one season. Especially a near 30 year old Vardy.

Your argument is flawed in that you are saying Schneiderlin can't be a better player than Kante because Schneiderlin was never the best in his position in a season. What if Kante never repeats that kind of season again or gets even close to it? (Zaki/Michu) While Schneiderlin is a solid 7/10 player for years?

Then the situation could change in the future as things usually do, but to date Schneiderlin has done nothing to speak of that warrants him being discussed in the same conversations as Kante. Unless the conversation is 'who did Kante get picked for the France Euro 2016 squad instead of?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I really hope this Jose v DR fiasco is over asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Headshot wrote: »
    I really hope this Jose v DR fiasco is over asap.
    I wonder if United will be surprised by anything that comes up - you'd have to imagine there were long conversations about the situation. Wonder if United are fully aware of all the arguments that are going to be made.

Not that United can do anything about it, but a negative outcome for Jose in this would still reflect poorly on United.

Then the situation could change in the future as things usually do, but to date Schneiderlin has done nothing to speak of that warrants him being discussed in the same conversations as Kante. Unless the conversation is 'who did Kante get picked for the France Euro 2016 squad instead of?'

Schneiderlin has a couple of solid/standout seasons at Southampton and a great start to his United career that tailed off badly, a lot of it down to the manager it would have to be said. Kante has one exceptional season in a team where everything just miraculously clicked into place.

It's not as strange as you're making out the argument that Schneiderlin is the better player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Your argument is flawed in that you are saying Schneiderlin can't be a better player than Kante because Schneiderlin was never the best in his position in a season.

Its flawed moreso because he is totally forgetting how highly praised and rated Scheiderlin was at Southampton.

Its flawed moreso because he is totally forgetting how highly praised and rated Scheiderlin was at Southampton.

He was good, but not in the same league. Not elite, he had promise that he has yet to fulfill. If he does that and Kante drops off, then the situation changes. But that's not where we're at right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I have no doubt that Schneirderlin would be considered as Kante is currently had Schneiderlin played the entire season with a consistent midfield partner.

He was good, but not in the same league. Not elite, he had promise that he has yet to fulfill. If he does that and Kante drops off, then the situation changes. But that's not where we're at right now.

The problem is you're judging it all on the "right now"

I'd like to see the likes of Vardy, Mahrez and Kante at another team before making my mind up on them. It's strange how they went from nothing to greatness in one season. Especially a near 30 year old Vardy.

It's largely to do with the standard of the league last year and the way Leicester play. If they kept their team in tact I doubt they'd finish in the top 6 next season. Let's see how it pans out but I'm not prepared to judge any PL player on last season.

Also Kante has the added advantage of playing in such a compact formation where the whole team is set up to get Vardy in behind. When you play for a big club you're not going to be afforded that opportunity. I'd really like to see how a lot of these players do next year if they move to different clubs becuase absolutely everything seemed to go right for Leicester last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

a negative outcome for Jose in this would still reflect poorly on United.

nah, it won't, in a couple of weeks the red tops are going to be busy tearing the England team apart, then after that the league will be back and Jose will be mindgaming everyone in circles, including the press.

The problem is you're judging it all on the "right now"

Not exactly, if we were discussing against a player who previously was just as good, for longer, then I think it's a sensible argument. But we're not, we are talking about that someone who was never that good and is even worse in the 'right now'.

My point is that Schneiderlin at his best was never as good as Kante is now and Schneiderlin has not been at his best over the last 2 years. How therefore can he be better than Kante, which is what we're discussing, rather than whether United should sign Kante.

In your opinion

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement