Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

More pinch of salt rumours but according to skys transfer section Matic has told Chelsea he wants to leave and go to United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

You know in all the Matic links, I havnt considered a base two of Matic AND Schneiderlin. On paper reads like an infamous Jose midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

TheDoc wrote: »
    You know in all the Matic links, I havnt considered a base two of Matic AND Schneiderlin. On paper reads like an infamous Jose midfield.

That would be an unreal midfield pairing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Personally I would take a long term view and hope the players show worthy of the money over 5 years rather than worry about a couple of months. If city feel these are the right players to build a future on, then forgoing them for the sake of short term injuries would be stupid.

How about spending 70 Million on 2 CBs and still trying to sign 2 more CBs? If ManUtd followed that approach, people would be calling scatter gun approach.

Most of the players we have signed are young players who can offer their service for years.

For example, all the fullbacks in City are 30 and 30 plus.
    Their midfielders Yaya, Fernandinho, Silva are 30 plus.
    Their #1 striker is very injury prone.
    Their CBs, Kompany is very injury prone, Mangala is average, Otamendi is just good enough.
    Their wingers, Navas is a corner winning machine and Sterling has been poor.

Their squad needs as much surgery as ours need. They have KDB who is quality though.

I don't remember Jose playing with 2 defensive minded players in the midfield for majority of the season. He did in few big games but don't remember him playing with defensive players in midfield (except at Inter).

Chelsea: He had Makelele, Lampard and Essien.
    Inter: Cambiasso, Zanetti and Stankovic/Motta.
    Madrid: Modric, Alonso, Khedira
    Chelsea: Matic and Fabregas.

Also remember Jose humiliating Matic last season but subbing him on and subbing him out in few mins. Not sure both have a very good relationship.

When media was full of Ibrahimovic to ManUtd rumors saw few posts on other threads saying "typical jose signing, thinking short term". Wonder what they will say if we sign Bailly who is just 22 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    When media was full of Ibrahimovic to ManUtd rumors saw few posts on other threads saying "typical jose signing, thinking short term". Wonder what they will say if we sign Bailly who is just 22 years old.

It's already started, I've seen a few "ah typical that Jose would sign a defender first"

Bailly is such an unknown to me even more so than Martial last year but it sounds like a good signing from some of the Spanish reports.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The haters say Jose doesn't trust youth.

Signs 22 year old CB who will go into starting 11.

"Typical Jose signing defenders to park the bus. "

Funny-Haters-Gonna-Hate-Meme-12.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Jose believes in youth that is good enough

How many Chelsea, Real and Inter youths that he managed have gone on to a decent level since he left?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Jose believes in youth that is good enough

How many Chelsea, Real and Inter youths that he managed have gone on to a decent level since he left?

Kevin De Bruyne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Kevin De Bruyne.

I don't think he means it like that, more that the Youth that he does play, stays at a decent level when he is not there.. he trusts young players that are good enough. Like Robben and duff, Jese, a whole host of Porto players, Zouma and Courtois.. obviously no man is infallible and he is going to have a few that he didn't trust like De Bruyne and Lukaku who both expressed their desire to leave and went on to be great for other clubs. Who knows what would have happened if they stayed around..

• TheDoc wrote: »

Same here,

I never considered them as a pairing

A back 4 with those two sitting in front on form would be very hard to break down.
    Creativity would be an initial concern but that would sound like maybe an AM sitting in front with two wingers and one striker??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

It's a nice feeling having a world class manager at the club. Haven't felt this since Fergie. It's comforting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

It's a nice feeling having a world class manager at the club. Haven't felt this since Fergie. It's comforting.

Even though he is a sexist coward I'm very happy with our lot tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Same here,

I never considered them as a pairing

A back 4 with those two sitting in front on form would be very hard to break down.
    Creativity would be an initial concern but that would sound like maybe an AM sitting in front with two wingers and one striker??

Lvg got hammered for trying that ha. Fully think if your defence is strong enough you only need one defensive minded midfielder and a few others to track back.

Saying that i think schneiderlin is better then just sitting there he has the ability of playing box to box and setting things up if we did have someone like matic type of player i could see a midfield of schneiderlin focused on attack more and also with herrera or the likes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Even though he is a sexist coward I'm very happy with our lot tbh.

What male isn't to some extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

There is talk of basically all our midfielders being available for sale - Matic could be a target to provide depth to options, or as a replacement.

Personally I think we need to be looking to add to the creativity of the midfield, but if (for example) Schweinsteiger and Blind were to be let go, I can see why Jose would want to add Matic as an option in midfield. I also think some people are putting way too much on to the subbed on subbed off thing, I don't think that is an issue at all.

Marca linking is this morning with a move for Morata for 60m Euro's to play alongside Ibra.

https://twitter.com/marca/status/740448367562625026

jayo26 wrote: »
    Lvg got hammered for trying that ha. Fully think if your defence is strong enough you only need one defensive minded midfielder and a few others to track back.

Saying that i think schneiderlin is better then just sitting there he has the ability of playing box to box and setting things up if we did have someone like matic type of player i could see a midfield of schneiderlin focused on attack more and also with herrera or the likes.

I agree with your Schneiderlin point.. he worked best at Southampton as a two way midfielder with waynama sitting in front of the back four. I really don't think we have seen even half of his potential at United..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'd be surprised if United were going for any striker to play with Ibrahimovic, while having Martial, Rashford and Rooney on the books. Especially at the money being spoken of for Morata. Just can't see the sense in it.

• Advertisement

I'd be surprised if United were going for any striker to play with Ibrahimovic, while having Martial, Rashford and Rooney on the books. Especially at the money being spoken of for Morata. Just can't see the sense in it.

IIRC when Mourinho first brought him up to the first team he played him from out wide left in the fee games he got.

So we could set up like

Morata----Ibra
    Martial
    Rooney

This would leave Rashford to Rotate with Ibra.. anyways it's all speculation.. I

astradave wrote: »
    I agree with your Schneiderlin point.. he worked best at Southampton as a two way midfielder with waynama sitting in front of the back four. I really don't think we have seen even half of his potential at United..

Schneiderlin played well even with Cork as his partner. We haven't seen what he is capable at United. He is far better player than what he showed.

Aul Duncan has become a United fan these days.. Hasn't trolled us in ages. I'd say he is dieing a little inside with each positive tweet he writes :D

https://twitter.com/DuncanCastles/status/740458805583056897

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Kevin De Bruyne.

DeBruyne wasn't exactly a youth player when he joined Chelsea. He was 20 or 21 with nearly 100 pro games in Belgium already.

I wouldn't compare him Rashford, CBJ or TFM.

His situation would be more like Memphis. If Memphis ended up on loan next season with no way into the side and demanded a transfer will we be kicking yourselves for not giving into his demands if he comes good in a few years time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

apparently we cannot announce Ibrahimovic for another while yet as he is waiting on a loyalty bonus from PSG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Did I read correctly that Moratta scored something like 17 goals for a team who were by far the strongest side in there league and the money quoted is similar to the likes of Griezman

bangkok wrote: »
    apparently we cannot announce Ibrahimovic for another while yet as he is waiting on a loyalty bonus from PSG

Happy enough to wait if everything is sown up, and there isn't some monstrous surprise.

Striker and CB sorted. Can maybe see a new CM and RM coming, and then probably 2-3 players exiting. Fellaini and Mata seem the most likely for me. Also interested to see how Mourinho deals with Memphis. Could become his Hazard. I think its worth building Memphis back up, and deploying him on the RW for a change, use his good delivery to supply Ibrahimovic. Or interchange with Martial from the left.

Zlatan
    Martial---Rooney
    Memphis

Quick, direct, goals, creativity. If all fit and firing and operating at the level I know they can(looking at you Memphis) that is a title challenging forward line, and one of the most exciting on paper we've had for a long time imo

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Did I read correctly that Moratta scored something like 17 goals for a team who were by far the strongest side in there league and the money quoted is similar to the likes of Griezman

Morata is a massively underwhelming prospect for me. Really average strike rate, but I think his influence is ramped up by the fact he scores goals in big, important games. But the money touted for him is ridiculous.

His general all round play looks ok, but for the money being touted I'd be expecting much MUCH more.

By all accounts Real want to trigger their buyback clause and ship him on for profit, so its a really messy situation for a player that I don't feel warrants it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

so we have probably spent 15-20m on Bailly with the rest in add ons.

Looks like Ibrahimovic will be coming to Old Trafford as well on a free

I can see us going for someone like Pogba next to make a real statement of intent. would be a dream signing

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

El Confidential in Spain who were first with Di Maria to United and Higuain to Napoli, are now saying United are prepared to pay €120 million for Bale who United believes now wants to return to the UK.

That is the same amount of money Juventus want for Pogba. About Pogba, Real Madrid according to Marca don't want to pay the huge fee for Pogba, but want Pogba to ask to leave to get him at a reduced fee, which is said to be highly unlikely.
    Pogba is favourite to join either United or Chelsea.

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    El Confidential in Spain who were first with Di Maria to United and Higuain to Napoli, are now saying United are prepared to pay €120 million for Bale who United believes now wants to return to the UK.

That is the same amount of money Juventus want for Pogba. About Pogba, Real Madrid according to Marca don't want to pay the huge fee for Pogba, but want Pogba to ask to leave to get him at a reduced fee, which is said to be highly unlikely.

Spanish papers run the same story every window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Roll on September...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Nuts102 wrote: »

I'm not a huge fan of Morata but judging a player by league goals in Italy is always a bit harsh. Strikers don't score as much there. Higuain was only the third player in Serie A history to score over 30 league goals.

Fakman87 wrote: »
    I'm not a huge fan of Morata but judging a player by league goals in Italy is always a bit harsh. Strikers don't score as much there. Higuain was only the third player in Serie A history to score over 30 league goals.

That was in 90s. Now Serie A defense is not that strong. Plenty of piss poor teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

zorro2566 wrote: »

I hope this isn't the case. If you were to believe all of the transfer stories so far we'll be left with no team as José appears to want rid of everyone!!

RobertKK wrote: »

How do we rate El confidential?

Thought they were like the Spanish equivalent of Metro

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

They are. WOuldnt be that confident in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I don't see many leaving. Next year yes, but not this year.

Certainly not people like Darmian and Blind who can adequately cover multiple positions. That's just daft.

Blind is an easy target for exit speculation because he spoke out in defence of LvG.

Darmian is an easy target because Juve are allegedly interested, and we are allegedly after Pogba.

Mata is an easy target because José sold him before.

Silly season is in full flow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

According to Sport Witness:
    El Confidencial have been more tabloidy recently than usual, but their long term reputation is very good, relative to the rest of the Spanish media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

BBC
    Bailly is due to have a medical this week and terms are thought to have been agreed with the 22-year-old, who will cost the Red Devils about £30m

Skysports saying he passed his Medical

How many medicals is Bailly having? I thought he passed one yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Thought he passed his medical yesterday.

How many medicals is Bailly having? I thought he passed one yesterday?

Probably did. Im a bit behind the news

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Probably did. Im a bit behind the news

Are you zerks in disguise :D;)

• Advertisement

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    BBC

Skysports saying he passed his Medical

Maybe they mean he passed the medical he had yesterday? I know nothing about him other than what's been posted here but the youtube vid show a few high takles, I'd be concerned about him being a card magnet. I will gladly be proved wrong though.

Maybe they mean he passed the medical he had yesterday? I know nothing about him other than what's been posted here but the youtube vid show a few high takles, I'd be concerned about him being a card magnet. I will gladly be proved wrong though.

Looking at the Bailly video I dont think he will get away with alot of the tackles in the PL

Its hard to Read the news when most headlines have a (?) in the headline.

" Bale to United?"

"United interested in Pogba?"

"Darmian set for Juve switch?"

" United approach James Rodriguez Agent?"

Its not worth thinking about and is just skipped

Independent(Ogden) and Guardian ( Daniel taylor) reporting that we are in for Pogba.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Independent(Ogden) and Guardian ( Daniel taylor) reporting that we are in for Pogba.

Would love to get him.

#bringpaulhome

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement