Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

TheDoc wrote: »
    Mourinho first signing as United manager , 8th of June

Moyes first signing as United manager, 3rd of September.

Wow...

That post should come with a NSFW warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wow...

well, its not like that is what Moyes wanted. Fabregas, Ronaldo and Bale were (apparently) major targets that (apparently) Woodward said he would deliver on (was either Bale or Ronaldo, not a plan to have both)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Tbf, given how long it takes deals to get done I doubt if this is a 100% Jose signing, it was most likely already 99% done à la Herrera most likely being done before LvG. It's simply Ed learning from the shambles of Moyes first Summer and having work already in place before July.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Tbf, given how long it takes deals to get done I doubt if this is a 100% Jose signing, it was most likely already 99% done à la Herrera most likely being done before LvG. It's simply Ed learning from the shambles of Moyes first Summer and having work already in place before July.

Thats a bit of a myth though - deals can be done in a day, if everyone wants them to be. Maybe this is one of many deals that were put in place, to be actioned if/when wanted. Maybe Jose/Woodward have been discussing transfer deals since before LVG was sacked, and this deal was set up then. Maybe 2 weeks is enough time to put a bid in and agree a contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Mourinho could have been talking to these players agents and also the players for the last 6 months

I dont think its tapping up if you are not a manager of a club.

For all we know, Mourinho could have presented Woodward with a portfolio of players where a Gentlemans agreement has already been made

It would make Mourinho and Woodward look like heros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I'm a bit confused (not for the 1st time)

I thought the transfer window wasn't open yet? so how can we sign Bailly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Ooh training kit

CkbYpBmUoAATkV_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

TheTownie wrote: »
    Ooh training kit

CkbYpBmUoAATkV_.jpg

Nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Was it not a case he made a couple of mistakes after his excellent start and LVG dropped him?

Seemed to be rattled after that iirc.
    I think that's too easy as an excuse for him. You would have to question whether he has the mental strength to play consistently at the top level if that was the case.

The fact is, most of United's defenders played reasonably well this season. Smalling was very good overall, Blind was about as good as could be expected, Shaw was excellent until the injury, Valencia was decent when fit, as was CBJ.

Rojo and Darmian were both awful in most of their games. If Darmian didn't have that purple patch at the very start, he'd be definitely seen as an outright flop thus far.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused (not for the 1st time)

I thought the transfer window wasn't open yet? so how can we sign Bailly

Can sign players any time you want - just can't officially register them. Plus, the english window opens as soon as the season ends (not July 1st) so United might be able to register players signed now, but euro clubs can't (not entirely sure on the rules regarding different windows - some people claim only domestic transfers can be registered until July 1st.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

de gea

fosu mensah
    smalling
    bailly
    shaw

Schneiderlain
    Pogba

Sane
    Rooney
    Martial

Ibrahimovic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That training top is the biz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Mars Bar wrote:

When will you be displaying it for us Mars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

brinty wrote: »
    When will you be displaying it for us Mars

Your such a perv............. i love it haha

Thats a bit of a myth though - deals can be done in a day, if everyone wants them to be. Maybe this is one of many deals that were put in place, to be actioned if/when wanted. Maybe Jose/Woodward have been discussing transfer deals since before LVG was sacked, and this deal was set up then. Maybe 2 weeks is enough time to put a bid in and agree a contract.

That's an extremely large if you put in there.

Deals will only be done in a day where one or both sides are desperate, and the player as well as agents are on board, and that's not even considering whether there is any time limit on when the deal has to be done by.

In this case where there is no such time limit (the transfer window isn't even officially open nevermind closing soon), both clubs as well as agents have plenty of time to try and find a better deal for their interests. So the fact that something has been agreed now would make me think that this is the culmination of talks that have went on a lot longer than the time since Mourinho became United manager.

jayo26 wrote:
    Your such a perv............. i love it haha

Mars knows I'm having the bants with her
    She's a great sense of humour

and the fax machine is working!!

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    That's an extremely large if you put in there.

Deals will only be done in a day where one or both sides are desperate, and the player as well as agents are on board, and that's not even considering whether there is any time limit on when the deal has to be done by.

In this case where there is no such time limit (the transfer window isn't even officially open nevermind closing soon), both clubs as well as agents have plenty of time to try and find a better deal for their interests. So the fact that something has been agreed now would make me think that this is the culmination of talks that have went on a lot longer than the time since Mourinho became United manager.

It was reported at the time it only took a few days for Bayern to enter the race for Sanches, then sign him.

Also, things happening prior to Mourinho becoming United manager does not mean Mourinho was not directing it in the beginning. I'd be surprised if Jose/United have not been working on transfer targets since before it was all official.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mars Bar wrote: »

wish Aon was still on our jerseys and not Chevorlet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Nalz wrote: »
    wish Aon was still on our jerseys and not Chevorlet

I actually really like the Chev logo...the gold goes well with Red/Blue/White

wouldnt be surprised if Darmian rumours are true, not really a good attacking outlet

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I was pronouncing Bailly as Bailey, but it is pronounced Bye-E.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

bangkok wrote: »
    wouldnt be surprised if Darmian rumours are true, not really a good attacking outlet

Varela looked better going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Jose doesnt use wingbacks like lvg he wont have to get forward the same, i can not see why he would want to sell anyone. Give them all a chance if not then any signings we bring in have to hit the ground running also we have a lot of games before Christmas this year with thursday night football.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

de gea

fosu mensah
    smalling
    bailly
    shaw

Schneiderlain
    Pogba

Sane
    Rooney
    Martial

Ibrahimovic

That team would offer a lot more from corners and set pieces than united have in the last few years. I think that's something that we've missed and Jose generally brings

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It was reported at the time it only took a few days for Bayern to enter the race for Sanches, then sign him.

Also, things happening prior to Mourinho becoming United manager does not mean Mourinho was not directing it in the beginning. I'd be surprised if Jose/United have not been working on transfer targets since before it was all official.

While I agree, I also would like to think it's the draw of having Jose installed as manager; players will want to play for him, and he would be considered one of the top managers of all time. When Jose comes a-calling with United's money behind him, I think players of Bailly's level will jump at the chance to sign for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

de gea

fosu mensah
    smalling
    bailly
    shaw

Schneiderlain
    Pogba

Sane
    Rooney
    Martial

Ibrahimovic
    Please no Rooney.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Varela looked better going forward.

fosu mensah looks like the man for me... a beast with and without the ball, comfortable with ball at his feet and very quick

• Advertisement

Work on deals start before an initial approach/bid is made.

But I agree with your last point. I do think the Memphis deal and this one (& Ibra) getting done early are more products of Ed continuing to learn from the disaster of Moyes' Summer than they are of having a different manager though. I would blame Ed more than Moyes for the delays that year (urgent transfer business etc etc.) so I think it's a bit much (& naive) for people to use this as another excuse to have a slap at him again.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Jose doesnt use wingbacks like lvg he wont have to get forward the same, i can not see why he would want to sell anyone. Give them all a chance if not then any signings we bring in have to hit the ground running also we have a lot of games before Christmas this year with thursday night football.

you cannot sign 4-5 players and not sell some. There will 1 or 2 players leaving the club this summer and im sure Jose knows enough about our players already without having to give they another chance this season. Mata is a gonner i would say 100%

Eh weren't you the guy that broke the news we'd be signing him saying how good an attacking player he was from your sources in Turin??
    I think he was flying in the games Shaw played and looked great going forward but once Shaw got injured our whole attacking philosophy went out the window..
    In my opinion I think he'll do well under Jose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

http://m.store.manutd.com/stores/manutd/mobile/us/c/training/collections/new-training?Intcmp=mhpcar1_ENG

New training range, black and grey. Thinking of getting new grey top as I'm not sure about the home kit this year.

Edit: the grey is a blue apparently :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

In Chelsea's system only 1 full back got forward, Ivanovic. Azpilicueta stayed back to cover Hazard, he probably wants to do something similar with Martial, depending if he plays him left or right? Shaw would be the more naturally attacking full back so he'd be the obvious choice, with Darmian staying back providing cover for the CB's.

Be interesting how Shaw gets on, he apparently turned down Chelsea after having left a meeting with Mourinho feeling intimidated. He seems like a player who would do well in his system though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

We only signed him in case we sell Fellaini and Bangkok gets withdrawal symptoms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

So Bailly will presumably be missing for the ANC in January then?

brinty wrote: »
    Eh weren't you the guy that broke the news we'd be signing him saying how good an attacking player he was from your sources in Turin??
    I think he was flying in the games Shaw played and looked great going forward but once Shaw got injured our whole attacking philosophy went out the window..
    In my opinion I think he'll do well under Jose

no i listed him as 1 of a few right backs we should sign in the summer. he was solid but i would have expected more of him, not great going forward. i hope we keep him.

actually just found my post from that time...

"every player is available at a price, but players imo that could move to us in no particular order.. Matteo Darmian van der Wiel Seamus Coleman any of them 3 would be an improvement in that area"

Liam O wrote: »
    So Bailly will presumably be missing for the ANC in January then?

He sure will, during which time Phil Jones will slot in as replacement and we get knocked out of every competition we're in

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »

seriously needs a haircut, cant be helping his game/vision at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Fantastic that we have completed the deal so early. I think we have the fastest defense in the league.

RasTa wrote: »

seriously needs a haircut, cant be helping his game/vision at all...

We've signed the half brother of Ruud Gullit & Felani!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I wonder what the odds are on Bailly getting carded on his debut in the PL

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

It's great to see a signing so early in the summer. Two things which we should be able to expect with Mourinho in charge, transfers completed earlier in summer rather than at the last minute and shorter injury lists. I have seen both these things with Mourinho over the years; he knows what players he wants and he gets them early. Also I feel that he gets many games out of his core players and if memory serves me well, his teams don't seem to suffer many long-term injuries, which has been United's trademark for far too long now. A fit Luke Shaw would have easily made the overall difference last season in getting at least one extra point and top 4.

Wow...

I find this type of revisionism odd tbh. I can understand people are excited about Jose but there is no need to be overly complimentary towards Jose and make like he will be the transfer window wizard weve been waiting for just as there is no need to be slightly negative about our past windows post Fergie. I'm not saying that's what The Doc or onemorechance are doing but every window this place is Ultra negative but I can see an overly positive "lets exaggerate everything Jose does to the max and crap all over our last windows" tone creeping in.

For perspective for the 15/16 season we signed Depay on May7th. Schneiderlin, Darmian & Schweinsteiger were all done between July 11 - 13th for very good prices, that's amazing business and we went onto ad Martial at the end of the window. Five first teams additions and six if you consider Romero needed to cover for DDG until that whole thing was cleared up.

Herrera and Shaw were both signed in June the summer before. Di Maria, Blind, Falcao & Rojo followed in that window. Six first team players. Not bad at all.

Moyes took over on May 7th so technically his first signing was Varela on June 7th. Varela did well for LVG and looks bright so we have that to thank Moyes for but he never really had an amazing window.

So both LVG and Moyes signed players earlier than Jose and Jose would do well to top (hindsight aside about how ADM and Falcao worked out) the last two windows (especially the 15/16 window) as both were extremely good.

A CB in those last two windows and they would have been almost perfect.

Lets not create a false narrative were super Jose has got bumbling Ed to pull the finger out when we have two good summer windows before this to thank Ed & LVG for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Any truth to the rumours that this transfer was very similar to the Shaw/Herrera deals? As in the majority of the leg work was done by the previous manager and it was pretty much just green lit by the new boss which is why it happened so fast?

If it is there may be another deal or two in the pipeline from the previous regime also which would be welcome since it would be nice to have a summer without long drawn out transfer ****e that gets a few peoples knickers in a twist round these parts ;) Though in fairness last summer was pretty great too in that regard

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

A CB in those last two windows and they would have been almost perfect.

A CB you say? Like Eric Bailly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Lets not create a false narrative were super Jose has got bumbling Ed to pull the finger out when we have two good summer windows before this to thank Ed & LVG for.

Shush!

If there's something good he's getting the credit for it.

Jose is the bestest manager in the world ever and everything he does is great until such time as his very presence as Utd manager no longer sends rival fans into a spontaneous rage.

There's a lot of history to be rewritten we don't need to be getting bogged down in truth just yet. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGZVc0nowbm/
    With the caption - josemourinho now is time to enjoy!!! produce preseason training sessions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGZVc0nowbm/
    With the caption - josemourinho now is time to enjoy!!! produce preseason training sessions...

God I wish I was good photo shopping and put a picture of Pogba on the pencil case

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement