Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    you cannot sign 4-5 players and not sell some. There will 1 or 2 players leaving the club this summer and im sure Jose knows enough about our players already without having to give they another chance this season. Mata is a gonner i would say 100%

Yes you can our squad was down to the bear bones last year after lvg most managers like to work with 23 or 24 senior players i think we had 18 or 19 and the youth players.

Mata m8ght go if they dont sorth things out but thats because of history more so then squad size or what not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGZVc0nowbm/
    With the caption - josemourinho now is time to enjoy!!! produce preseason training sessions...

Is that berba on that pencil case

• Polo_Mint wrote: »
    I wonder what the odds are on Bailly getting carded on his debut in the PL

Elbows 2.0 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I find this type of revisionism odd tbh. I can understand people are excited about Jose but there is no need to be overly complimentary towards Jose and make like he will be the transfer window wizard weve been waiting for just as there is no need to be slightly negative about our past windows post Fergie. I'm not saying that's what The Doc or onemorechance are doing but every window this place is Ultra negative but I can see an overly positive "lets exaggerate everything Jose does to the max and crap all over our last windows" tone creeping in.

For perspective for the 15/16 season we signed Depay on May7th. Schneiderlin, Darmian & Schweinsteiger were all done between July 11 - 13th for very good prices, that's amazing business and we went onto ad Martial at the end of the window. Five first teams additions and six if you consider Romero needed to cover for DDG until that whole thing was cleared up.

Herrera and Shaw were both signed in June the summer before. Di Maria, Blind, Falcao & Rojo followed in that window. Six first team players. Not bad at all.

Moyes took over on May 7th so technically his first signing was Varela on June 7th. Varela did well for LVG and looks bright so we have that to thank Moyes for but he never really had an amazing window.

So both LVG and Moyes signed players earlier than Jose and Jose would do well to top (hindsight aside about how ADM and Falcao worked out) the last two windows (especially the 15/16 window) as both were extremely good.

A CB in those last two windows and they would have been almost perfect.

Lets not create a false narrative were super Jose has got bumbling Ed to pull the finger out when we have two good summer windows before this to thank Ed & LVG for.

Just thought it was a drastic timeline.

I didn't want to flesh the post out more then that. I get there is a lot of moving parts around deals and people etc.

Just though the two liner post had more impact.

I think you'll find in most windows I'm the one preaching calm and positivity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

A CB in those last two windows and they would have been almost perfect.
    A CB you say? Like Eric Bailly?

Bailly wasn't signed in the last 2 windows though :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Completely random, but this song is stuck in my head today.

Legendary.

https://youtu.be/GWLLMrQLEXE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Personally I think there'll be a good few leaving but not until late in the window, after the pre-season. Mourinho tends to work with 18-20 players and we've given new contracts to a lot of our young players. So for instance we have currently:

De Gea - Johnstone - Romero
    Darmian - Fosu Mensah - Varela
    Smalling - Jones
    Bailly - Blind
    Shaw - CBJ - Rojo
    Schneiderlin - Schweinsteiger
    Carrick - Herrera - Fellaini
    Lingard - Young - Valencia
    Rooney - Mata
    Martial - Depay - Januzaj
    Rashford

So that's a lot above normal for each position given players can play various roles and we're likely to sign 2-3 more players.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

TheDoc wrote: »
    Just thought it was a drastic timeline.

I didn't want to flesh the post out more then that. I get there is a lot of moving parts around deals and people etc.

Just though the two liner post had more impact.

I think you'll find in most windows I'm the one preaching calm and positivity?

I know your the last person to lose the head in a transfer window Doc, you are usually a voice of reason :) That's why I alluded too as much in the post.

Its just I can see the anti LVG/Moyes/Ed crowd, who were having tantrums daily everytime there wasn't a signing in previous windows and going overboard with carzy club bashing like "how come every other club can get it done so easily, just look at XY&Z" when in fact we had two very good windows.

I can see them using any signing to paint ex managers or Ed as incompetent and create a false narrative along the lines of its Jose working the magic and LVG or ED was the problem all along when nobody here has a single clue what it takes to get a transfer deal done. No two transfers are the same and deals can take months but fly on the wall experts don't seem to understand that.

TFM is not a right back he is a cb/dm it was lvg who decided to play him right back id much prefer to see him used as cover for his natural positions.

• Advertisement

Meh, I'm not sold on Bailly yet. Not until Arsene says he tried to sign him as a 16 year old, or sponsored him as a disadvantaged child during the Ivory Coast civil war of 2002.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    TheDoc wrote: »
    You know in all the Matic links, I havnt considered a base two of Matic AND Schneiderlin. On paper reads like an infamous Jose midfield.

I don't remember Jose playing with 2 defensive minded players in the midfield for majority of the season. He did in few big games but don't remember him playing with defensive players in midfield (except at Inter).

Chelsea: He had Makelele, Lampard and Essien.
    Inter: Cambiasso, Zanetti and Stankovic/Motta.
    Madrid: Modric, Alonso, Khedira
    Chelsea: Matic and Fabregas.

Also remember Jose humiliating Matic last season but subbing him on and subbing him out in few mins. Not sure both have a very good relationship.
    Schneiderlin is no more defensively minded than a good few named there, to be fair.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Bailly had 8k followers his morning,and is up to 40k this evening :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Bailly had 8k followers his morning,and is up to 40k this evening :pac:

Does he speak any English?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Bailly looks like a tough nut

When is the next African Cup of Nations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

2017, I think.

Next january i thinks :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its just I can see the anti LVG/Moyes/Ed crowd, who were having tantrums daily everytime there wasn't a signing in previous windows and going overboard with carzy club bashing like "how come every other club can get it done so easily, just look at XY&Z" when in fact we had two very good windows.

I can see them using any signing to paint ex managers or Ed as incompetent and create a false narrative along the lines of its Jose working the magic and LVG or ED was the problem all along

You were completely wrong about Moyes and Van Gaal while those complainers were completely right. Just accept this and move on. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Not sure if posted.

The step over at 1.05 is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4Wc0lLruic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

All I'll say about bailly is
    Is hope he's better than TBD last Eric tray played for us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    More clips of the godlike Bailley

That clip of him playing against Torres is far from godlike :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

They said on MUTV that as well as a CB, Bailly can also play right back.

Andy mitten now on and David May is smiling like a Cheshire cat listening to him.

brinty wrote: »

That's so wise Brinty :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

brinty wrote: »

Eric Bailly Bailly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Maybe I missed it but did any of the bull**** merchants have this in their gossip columns in the last few months?

I really have seen nothing of the guy so can't comment. Clearly has plenty to learn from a discipline standpoint but Jose should be well able to coach him up.

A back 4 of Fosu Mensah - Smalling - Bailly - Shaw looks great, although long term TFM has centre midfield wrote all over him. He will be better than Pogba so let's not bother wasting our money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

HigginsJ wrote: »

A back 4 of Fosu Mensah - Smalling - Bailly - Shaw looks great, although long term TFM has centre midfield wrote all over him. He will be better than Pogba so let's not bother wasting our money.

I think you are getting ahead of yourself there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

adox wrote: »
    I think you are getting ahead of yourself there.

Yea hard to know how Shaw will come back from injury but you have to hope :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

jayo26 wrote: »
    TFM is not a right back he is a cb/dm it was lvg who decided to play him right back id much prefer to see him used as cover for his natural positions.

Yeah I put him there as the natural cover for RB. I'd imagine he could be used there or CB (like Zouma was under Jose).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Yea hard to know how Shaw will come back from injury but you have to hope :P

Don't!

It's the hope that kills you.

Lou Macari spilling what he really thought during the LVG era.
    Saying being on MUTV and thinking how bad the play was, and that himself and David May were near terrified about what to say, given how bad it was.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Whatever about the timing of the transfer today's deal does indicate a better plan and identification of targets may already be in place as compared to previous years that had manager changes.

I have always said wait and see during the windows. But we waited and saw what happened. A lot of the work was poor (both ins and outs).

Where are all the lls gone from baillys name it is like a cork man pronounced his name.

Why did Mark Ogden and Daniel Taylor have the same story about Pogba today, at the same time?

jayo26 wrote: »
    Where are all the lls gone from baillys name it is like a cork man pronounced his name.

It is French and in French double Ls are not pronounced.
    Like Marseilles is pronounced Marsay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

RobertKK wrote: »
    Why did Mark Ogden and Daniel Taylor have the same story about Pogba today, at the same time?
    Woodward probably said something to them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/06/08/manchester-united-complete-eric-bailly-signing/

Interesting from Ducker:
    He has also quickly established himself as a regular for Ivory Coast and helped them win the Africa Cup of Nations last year, but his arrival will place a heavy emphasis on Chris Smalling to lead the back four, with Luke Shaw (20) and Timothy Fosu-Mensah (18) likely to be Mourinho’s first choice full-backs.

Based on the prices written, both seem to be based on information that City are not chasing him right now and then making a story about United having a clear run at getting him, rather than a leak of info from United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

DM_7 wrote: »
    Both seem to be based on information that City are not chasing him right now and then making a story about United having a clear run at getting him, rather than a leak of info from United.

What I've seen said is United are aware city aren't after him as a priority (stones, Laporte, gundoggan, dortmund striker) and feel they are favourites in England for him. I would think Chelsea, and Conte, could make a good argument on that score. Other competition is real Madrid.

Do feel this story comes from United with background from city (regarding their own intenyions)

Is it possible that City moved away from trying to get Pogba because they know he will not sign for them?
    A bit like Pep was always going to City, so United didn't pursue him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Pogba is a game changer

If he is coming to Manchester we better make sure it is the red half, unfortunately if he goes to City I see it being Spain all over again where the quality of the squad pushes Pep ahead against Mourinho

• Advertisement

Whatever about the timing of the transfer today's deal does indicate a better plan and identification of targets may already be in place as compared to previous years that had manager changes.

I have always said wait and see during the windows. But we waited and saw what happened. A lot of the work was poor (both ins and outs).

Nah, to be fair as someone pointed out earlier our last two summers were pretty solid and the squad has improved a hell of a lot in that time. Ferguson might be the best in the history of the game at motivating guys to play at their best (the tactics themselves, no so much :p ) and in his later years got an incredible hang/feel of how to rotate the team to maximise this (most glaring example was Rio), but if we are honest the last good 3-5 years of his tenure in terms of transfers were horrific. A couple of gems like DDG and Smalling (even if he took time) in there, but there were a lot of squandered chances and settling for second best type players in there.

Is it possible that City moved away from trying to get Pogba because they know he will not sign for them?
    A bit like Pep was always going to City, so United didn't pursue him.

Why would there be any substance/truth to that though? I could well be unaware of something so not trying to be an ass about it, but I don't think he would really have a tonne of affinity towards us. Don't think he'd have much against us either, but I reckon he'd be looking to go to a mix of a) the team willing to pay him the most (nothing wrong with that, footballers only have 15-ish year careers), b) who gives him the most opportunity to succeed, and c) comfort/family life/wherever he would prefer to live as a location.

I don't know that two years in our youth team would make much of any difference for him either way really, it's not a Cesc/Pique-Barca type situation where they'd been there since they were literally children, and we are certainly not in a situation like Barca's when they were able to convince their ex youth players to return.

Hopefully there is something I don't know though, because I would obviously go bananas were we to get him! :pac:

Billy86 wrote: »
    Nah, to be fair as someone pointed out earlier our last two summers were pretty solid and the squad has improved a hell of a lot in that time. Ferguson might be the best in the history of the game at motivating guys to play at their best (the tactics themselves, no so much :p ) and in his later years got an incredible hang/feel of how to rotate the team to maximise this (most glaring example was Rio), but if we are honest the last good 3-5 years of his tenure in terms of transfers were horrific. A couple of gems like DDG and Smalling (even if he took time) in there, but there were a lot of squandered chances and settling for second best type players in there.

Last summer was solid for players in. Which is why I spoke about what happened after a manager change.

Previous summer was poor looking back on it. Blind signed late because others were missed, two signings picked by the previous (sacked) manager were brought in, two expensive signings in wages/fees left a year later to a big financial loss and the other signing required a free loan to push it throug

Yes, the transfer policy by SAF in his last years is questionable, that doesn't excuse what happened when he left.

SAF was much better tactically than your last post suggests but that is a different discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Pogba is our new Vidal and will probably end up at Bayern too.

Last summer was solid for players in. Which is why I spoke about what happened after a manager change.

Previous summer was poor looking back on it. Blind signed late because others were missed, two signings picked by the previous (sacked) manager were brought in, two expensive signings in wages/fees left a year later to a big financial loss and the other signing required a free loan to push it throug

Yes, the transfer policy by SAF in his last years is questionable, that doesn't excuse what happened when he left.

SAF was much better tactically than your last post suggests but that is a different discussion.
    I would disagree on the year previous - Herrera is a class player, LVG was just too typically stubborn to accept that (I fully believe if LVG had kept his job, Herrera got loaned to Bournemouth and single handedly won them the league with 100 points, that LVG would still try to get rid of him upon his return. Shaw has been unfortunate with injuries, but his class is very apparent. Di Maria was also playing well before the incident, and again suffered from misuse quite often in my opinion.

The signings themselves I think were good, the problem was the guy running the show had no idea how to use them, or seemed to make his mind up on them in his first few weeks and utterly refuse to be convinced otherwise no matter what.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I would disagree on the year previous - Herrera is a class player, LVG was just too typically stubborn to accept that (I fully believe if LVG had kept his job, Herrera got loaned to Bournemouth and single handedly won them the league with 100 points, that LVG would still try to get rid of him upon his return. Shaw has been unfortunate with injuries, but his class is very apparent. Di Maria was also playing well before the incident, and again suffered from misuse quite often in my opinion.

The signings themselves I think were good, the problem was the guy running the show had no idea how to use them, or seemed to make his mind up on them in his first few weeks and utterly refuse to be convinced otherwise no matter what.

The individual talents I won't argue against.

The reasons they were signed and how they were used show the lack of a cohesive plan for pursuing the signings.

I think the Bailly signing points to a better transfer plan/policy than what we saw in summer 13 and 14.

When the window closed in 14, it looked like a good window based on the names. Two years later, based on how they were used then it doesn't look good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Di Marzio reporting Pjanic to Juventus is a done deal. €38m fee, 5 year contract signed. So we can probably rule him out.

Di Marzio reporting Pjanic to Juventus is a done deal. €38m fee, 5 year contract signed. So we can probably rule him out.

To replace pogba so its ok.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

That frees up a certain Frenchman for a move though :p

Not sure I'd like a wad blown on Pogba and he'd probably over double José's highest transfer so I'm not sure he is really a player he'd look to. Someone to carry the ball from midfield to attack is definitely needed though as even Blind and Smalling were better at it than most of the midfielders last season. Something I thought Fellaini did quite well at when played as a midfielder was finding players with quick accurate passes. As much as I like Fellaini, when he's the best in your midfield at doing that then something is really wrong.

• Site Banned Posts: 108 ✭✭Shawn Michaels

First time post, so here goes. I've enjoyed reading this thread from the sidelines.

The last three seasons have been a living hell, a nightmare. I went nuts when David Moyes was appointed. He was an appalling choice who made no sense at all. I was delighted when Louis Van Gaal was appointed, but his reign was shocking. It has been tough to be a United fan. Not in some spoiled good time Charlie or fair weather fan way. More the massive sense of frustration at having the makings of a good side, but a manager whose arrogance blinded him. Common sense thrown out the window and incessant moaning about bad luck, when the reality was otherwise; it is not bad luck when your fullback or striker gets injured and you've sold his backup. It's just bad planning and bad management. In any other multibillion dollar business, Van Gaal would have been sacked a long time ago.

However, as Ronald Reagan once said, it is always darkest before the dawn. Jose Mourinho was born to be manager of Manchester United. To say I am enthused and excited about next season is an understatement. All the stuff about his three season lifespan, bad football, and no youth is rubbish. Adored at Porto. Adored at Inter. Otherwise, interference and crazy behaviour from Peres and Abramovich created the problems. Real Madrid have had 29 managers in 30 years! Only Jose, Beenhaker and del Bosque have lasted three years. On the football, Jose's teams play sensational football against weaker sides and cagey stuff against better sides. Essentially what Fergie started doing later on, and good sensible management. And as for the youth element, he was never mandated to do it. "Sorry Roman, I want you to take a longer term view". A surefire way to be sacked.

With De Gea, Martial, Rashford, Fosu Menza (who I believe will be sensational) and reinvigorated guys like Schneiderlin, and Jose at the helm, I genuinely believe that a sustained period of success is coming. This is the perfect fit. People may laugh, but I see Jose doing maybe 10 years or more. Like Eric Cantona, he has found his kingdom. The man who built Chelsea, did the impossible treble with Inter, and beat Guardiola and Messi to win the title with a record number of goals and points. This man IS Alex Ferguson reincarnated.

MUFC forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Pogba must be on the move if Pjanic is going there

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement