Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Wearing it, it might be my favourite home kit in a while. Might have to even get the real version :D

JkGYtJ8.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Could he go to Madrid with James leaving to another club possibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Can we consult FutureGuy on the whole Pogba thing?

Someone make an offering to the oracle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Di Marzio reporting Pjanic to Juventus is a done deal. €38m fee, 5 year contract signed. So we can probably rule him out.

He's also reporting that Real Madrid have contacted Juve about Pogba :(

• Site Banned Posts: 108 ✭✭Shawn Michaels

I had a rant about Louis Van Gaal typed out and ready to go, but I deleted it. I need to let it go. I am so excited about next season. The novelty factor of guys playing in their actual positions, having backup for key positions, and a belief that second is first loser. I cannot wait to get over to Old Trafford.

Sadly though, I'm like one of those hypnosis victims now...when I hear the word "philosophy", I want to punch someone in the face. Zoolanderesque preconditioning.

Just imagine a front three of Martial, Zlatan, and Rashford. Martial is like a young Thierry Henry, even the inside left positioning is reminisent.

3xRj3hQ.jpg

LthkveH.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

astradave wrote: »

in legit seriousness, for that money and added wages you imagine they'd have to shift someone or a few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Tomorrows Star and Mirror both reporting Utd leading the race for Pogba ;78 million.

Nothing would surprise you. Could end up anywhere.

Surely that's just made up?

Otherwise Peter Risdale-esque economics.

"Seth, we're willing to pay you 20 grand a week"

"Let me think about that"

"Okay...final offer...43 grand a week"

• Advertisement

• adox wrote: »
    Tomorrows Star and Mirror both reporting Utd leading the race for Pogba ;78 million.

Ah adox, you are better than that!

Don't let the hope kill ya!

Especially from the news rags ;)

• Someone give astradave the thanks he deserves for that gif

Calling Jayos x2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Ah adox, you are better than that!

Don't let the hope kill ya!

Especially from the news rags ;)

Personally I don't expect him to be a Utd player again, at any stage.

As I say though, nothing would surprise you.

Do people think that the "shame factor" is real in relation to Pogba?

i.e. Would the club be willing to be seen to sign him for £70m, having let him go for nothing in pretty odd circumstances?

• Do people think that the "shame factor" is real in relation to Pogba?

i.e. Would the club be willing to be seen to sign him for £70m, having let him go in pretty odd circumstances?

You are still buying an asset at his age

Even if he was to go in four years he would likely sell for more

Shouldn't stop Utd attempting to sign him whatsoever IMO

A very fair point.

Plus the decision makers have moved on (ish).

Maybe he still has a property in Manchester? If his tenants have moved on, United might suit rather than Madrid...one can dream

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Giggernaut

Could possibly see two of Kroos, James or Isco leave Real Madrid to make room for Pogba.

With Kroos linked with Pep it may be why Citeh are not chasing Pogba and if thats not the case Real have some decent bargaining chips at they're disposal to tempt Juventus.

I remember my first time watching Pogba's talent against Derby, it'd be amazing to have him back!

• A very fair point.

Plus the decision makers have moved on (ish).

Maybe he still has a property in Manchester? If his tenants have moved on, United might suit rather than Madrid...one can dream

He was only in the UK for around 3 years and left in 2012

I'd doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

adox wrote: »

Tomorrows Star and Mirror both reporting what makes people buy tabloids.

• Advertisement

Both Taylor and Odgen have reported this also, not exactly red tops there..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Both Taylor and Odgen have reported this also, not exactly red tops there..

To be fair all the Ogden article says is that now that City have signed Gundogan they're not in the market for a CM, then implies that Barca can't afford him and Mourinho would make him prefer United over Real (the reigning European Champions?). You're better off waiting for actual sources to report clubs being in talks rather than these wild clickbait headlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

If Real do have to sell to buy then we should try for Modric or possibly Isco. It's unlikely but the former is 30 now and the latter isn't getting that much game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Modric is absolutely superb in my book. If Real ever sold him Id be sick if we weren't interested.

Pogba will probably move in this transfer window but it wont be to us. I just cant see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

If / when Pogba leaves Juve it will be to either Madrid or Barca.

Bayern don't spend that kind of money on players.

He is currently at an elite level / profile and unfortunately we are not currently in the running for elite level players at the moment.

Best to get our business done early with the realistic targets and get our season underway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

In four years he'd likely be in the final year of his contract, so no chance he'd be sold for 70m+ at that stage, no matter how he turns out.

Unless there is some mad deal in place where he renews onto an additional 2 years every time there's 2 years left on his contract or something like that, but I never heard of such an arrangement in my life.

Or are you talking about some arrangement where he signs initially on a contract longer than 5 years? Because even then, that never happens.

• Advertisement

Who he was talking about.. would be a super accusition for the right hand side

https://twitter.com/JanAageFjortoft/status/740807971286986752

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

He means the same agent as Pogba :p

I'd take him over Pogba tbh, exactly the kind if player we need right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I'd take him over Pogba tbh, exactly the kind if player we need right now.

The rumour is that Mourinho wants 4 players for 4 positions.
    Central defender: Eric Bailly.
    Central midfielder: Pogba???
    Right midfielder: Mkhitaryan???
    Striker: Ibrahimovic?

The last three are Mino Raiola players, so the question would be, have we suddenly become very friendly with Raiola?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I see some positive comments from Smalling about LVG this morning, which I imagine he was under no duress to make... despite the poor fare on the pitch the past season and unsatisfactory results, for which I think his position was becoming pretty much untenable, I think LVG done us a lot of service developing guys like Smalling, handling the DDG situation, getting in young guys like Martial and Depay (hopefully in time) and bringing through guys like Rashford, TFM, CBJ, Varela.

There was method to the 'madness' of the thin squad.

He won the cup, and gave us a lot of stability albeit missing the top 4 was a major disappointment.

Overall I think the man done good, and his legacy will be very positive in the long run.

Having a hard time processing that Mourinho is the United manager, it just doesn't feel right to me...maybe once we get into pre-season.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

If / when Pogba leaves Juve it will be to either Madrid or Barca.

Bayern don't spend that kind of money on players.

He is currently at an elite level / profile and unfortunately we are not currently in the running for elite level players at the moment.

Best to get our business done early with the realistic targets and get our season underway.

Huh?

Already signed Eric Bailly who was also linked with Barca, PSG and City

Zlatan Ibrahimovic could be next

Last season Bastian Schweinsteiger, Anthony Martial, Morgan Schneiderlain

Season before that...

di Maria, falcao, luke shaw

need i go on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

bangkok wrote: »
    Huh?

Season before that...

need i go on?

He has a reasonably fair point, Bailly has been linked with other clubs but is not at the level of Pogba and is more a gamble. Zlatan has little choice in terms of European elite like Bayern, Real, Barca etc.

What Im getting at which the OP was going for, is simply put, if Real, Barca, Bayern even PSG are interested they are a far better proposition than we are. For a player like Pogba, he will have options which make us way less likely to get him.

Huh?

Season before that...

need i go on?

How many people knew much about Bailly a week ago?

Who else would pay Zlatan what he wants?

Bayern were happy to get rid of Basti.

Nobody knew who Martial was a year ago.

Morgan is not an elite world player, not even close.

Madrid wanted DiMaria gone so he reluctantly chose us.

Falcao was a favour for Mendes.

English players rarely go outside of england.

Need I go on?

Aside from all of the reasons, none of the players you have mentioned are in the elite calibre.

The likes of Ronaldo, Pogba, Suarez, Neymar, Messi, Lewandowski, Neuer etc are elite level players.

If you think we have any real chance of signing players in that bracket, at this point in time, you are naive at best, deluded at worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

If not pogba then what cm should we be looking at? We need a general like keane or viera...

How many people knew much about Bailly a week ago?

Who else would pay Zlatan what he wants?

Bayern were happy to get rid of Basti.

Nobody knew who Martial was a year ago.

Morgan is not an elite world player, not even close.

Madrid wanted DiMaria gone so he reluctantly chose us.

Falcao was a favour for Mendes.

English players rarely go outside of england.

Need I go on?

Aside from all of the reasons, none of the players you have mentioned are in the elite calibre.

The likes of Ronaldo, Pogba, Suarez, Neymar, Messi, Lewandowski, Neuer etc are elite level players.

If you think we have any real chance of signing players in that bracket, at this point in time, you are naive at best, deluded at worst.

Zlatan currently has an offer of £75m 2 year deal in china. He is an elite player, you just said who else would pay him what he wants? Messi, Ronaldo, Pogba, Neymar etc would all be on mega wages.

Just because Bayern were or Real were happy to get rid of players doesnt mean they are not elite. Toni Kroos also left Bayern and he was an elite player.

Some fans didnt know who Martial was but he was the next big thing in france and would have been well known in the scouting world the same way Bailly was

Would take modric or kroos if real offload due to buying pogba

Also on above point, we already had Pogba and Ronaldo on our books.

Suarez was at Liverpool

Neymar was at Santos

Lewandowski dortmund

Neuer as Schalke

It would be extremely hard for any club, including Real Madrid to sign any of above players as they are at huge clubs now.

It is up to us and other teams to find the next superstar the way we have done with Martial, de Gea and hopefully Bailly

Zlatan currently has an offer of £75m 2 year deal in china. He is an elite player, you just said who else would pay him what he wants? Messi, Ronaldo, Pogba, Neymar etc would all be on mega wages.

Just because Bayern were or Real were happy to get rid of players doesnt mean they are not elite. Toni Kroos also left Bayern and he was an elite player.

Some fans didnt know who Martial was but he was the next big thing in france and would have been well known in the scouting world the same way Bailly was

I think that "elite" is probably the wrong word and sides of the argument make sense. To me, "elite" players in this context are Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, and potentially guys like Pogba. We have a major problem signing this type of player. Geography, the weather, taxation, and no Champions League football all work against us. Due to his age, Zlatan is not really in this bracket. He is more of a punt, and as far as we know, Europe's elite aren't chasing him. It seems to be us, Shanghai Something, or the Chicago Somebodies. In all honesty, not an "elite" player in the sense that meant here I believe.

I think we should sign him BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

ericzeking wrote: »
    I see some positive comments from Smalling about LVG this morning, which I imagine he was under no duress to make... despite the poor fare on the pitch the past season and unsatisfactory results, for which I think his position was becoming pretty much untenable, I think LVG done us a lot of service developing guys like Smalling, handling the DDG situation, getting in young guys like Martial and Depay (hopefully in time) and bringing through guys like Rashford, TFM, CBJ, Varela.

He won the cup, and gave us a lot of stability albeit missing the top 4 was a major disappointment.

Overall I think the man done good, and his legacy will be very positive in the long run.

Having a hard time processing that Mourinho is the United manager, it just doesn't feel right to me...maybe once we get into pre-season.....

Is it bad that I actually forgot the FA Cup already? :o
    It was nice for the day and all that but it's just not something that's going to stick with me anymore.

It is up to us and other teams to find the next superstar the way we have done with Martial, de Gea and hopefully Bailly

A hugely relevant point.

It would appear that we have spent far too much time and effort chasing unattainable targets. We're often used as pawns to leverage more money from the existing club.

Far better to look for the next Gareth Bale rather than the real Gareth Bale IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

A hugely relevant point.

It would appear that we have spent far too much time and effort chasing unattainable targets. We're often used as pawns to leverage more money from the existing club.

Far better to look for the next Gareth Bale rather than the real Gareth Bale.

There has to be a mix of both. It would be foolish to go all out on pure potential in the transfer market.
    The next Gareth Bale may turn out to be the next Aiden McGeady.

A hugely relevant point.

Far better to look for the next Gareth Bale rather than the real Gareth Bale.

I think bale is gettable..

British player could see him wanting to return to premiership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bale is going nowhere, he might move back to the UK in his thirties.

I think that "elite" is probably the wrong word and sides of the argument make sense. To me, "elite" players in this context are Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, and potentially guys like Pogba. We have a major problem signing this type of player. Geography, the weather, taxation, and no Champions League football all work against us. Due to his age, Zlatan is not really in this bracket. He is more of a punt, and as far as we know, Europe's elite aren't chasing him. It seems to be us, Shanghai Something, or the Chicago Somebodies. In all honesty, not an "elite" player in the sense that meant here I believe.

I think we should sign him BTW.

Zlatan has made it known that he only wants to join United, thats why we are signing him as he wants to play in England

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

If not pogba then what cm should we be looking at? We need a general like keane or viera...

Leon Britton.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

ericzeking wrote: »

They did seem close :pac:

jExRsE2.jpg

Mourinho is a huge fan of Rooney, looks like he will be a big player for us again this season.

Mourinho said: "Wayne is and has been England's best player for over a decade and this game will be a fitting tribute to everything he has achieved."I'm looking forward to what will be a very special night for us both.

Why though?

We're United fans (mostly) who dream of pulling on the red jersey. Looking at it coldly, what rational human being of Gareth Bale's stature would choose United over Real Madrid?

Sensational weather, less tax, better players around you, better connectivity for travel, dare I day it better looking women, and perrenial challengers for the league and Champions League.

Overall, I think that we should be very wary of signing cast offs from the likes of Real Madrid, Bayern, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Why though?

We're United fans (mostly) who dream of pulling on the red jersey. Looking at it coldly, what rational human being of Gareth Bale's statute would choose United over Real Madrid?

Sensational weather, less tax, better players around you, better connectivity for travel, dare I day it better looking women, and perrenial challengers for the league and Champions League.

We should be very wary of signing cast offs from the likes of Real Madrid, Bayern, etc.

He has a young family and it has been well rumoured that both him and his other half would prefer them to be educated in England, and near the rest of their families - so there is a good chance (if true) of him being very prepared to move back to England in the near future, should the right deal be presented.

• Advertisement

He has a young family and it has been well rumoured that both him and his other half would prefer them to be educated in England, and near the rest of their families - so there is a good chance (if true) of him being very prepared to move back to England in the near future, should the right deal be presented.

Very relevant if true. I'd challenge the wisdom of it though. There are excellent schools in cities like Madrid, especially for people who have no concerns about money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement