Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

jayo26 wrote: »
    I agree with giggs depay isnt a bad person or troublemaker he just lost his way under a dull uninspiring manager and has shown a bit of a bad attitude but that could be all down to the manager.

Come on for criks sake it was so bad even the own clubs channels are hinting how happy they are he is gone imagine what it was like for the players who had to work under him and train under him.

Said it before not one player in our squad should be ruled out of upping there game next season they are all capable of it and having a genuine world class manager in charge should do that.

A bit?! He was told by the club not to go to an u21 game in his rolls royce, what does he do...turns up in the rolls royce and it was the whole talk before the game.

• Site Banned Posts: 108 ✭✭Shawn Michaels

I wouldnt judge any player from there time playing under lvg world class players dont just become average over night.
    Di Maria couldnt even get a game at utd and when he did he was shunted all over the place.

A fair point. My contempt for Depay is tempered by the fact that he might have been demoralised under Louis Van Gaal. He deserves a clean slate.

Jose on Carrick..

"Michael is a very intelligent midfielder and a great reader of the game. I am pleased that he will be extending his contract. His form this year shows his ability and his enjoyment of the game are as strong as ever. Michael has a wealth of experience from his many years at the club and that knowledge will be invaluable to me. I am really looking forward to working with him"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    A bit?! He was told by the club not to go to an u21 game in his rolls royce, what does he do...turns up in the rolls royce and it was the whole talk before the game.

What would it of made it better if he had to go in his lambo or his customised amg jeep?

Memphis Depay had a bad season and bought a nice car. Ravel Morrison was involved in witness intimidation and homophobic ranting on Twitter. Not a valid comparison at all.

What would it of made it better if he had to go in his lambo or his customised amg jeep?

i should even need to answer that. He could have got a lend of a club car or got dropped off to the game. He showed unbelievable arrogance and went against club wishes

Memphis Depay had a bad season and bought a nice car. Ravel Morrison was involved in witness intimidation and homophobic ranting on Twitter. Not a valid comparison at all.

nothing to do with what happens on the football pitch where untimately it matters most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Haha never heard that and I googled it, the mirror have done 3 different stories (at various points of the season) about Depay being spotted in his Rolls this season along with 2 from the sun. Christ the tabloids have nothing better to be doing.

i should even need to answer that. He could have got a lend of a club car or got dropped off to the game. He showed unbelievable arrogance and went against club wishes

Im not arguing with you about his attitude i agree with you its just the first time if heard that story. Where did you get it from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

not happy with carrick staying needeed to be moved on. offered nothing last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Memphis' attitude is bad and some incidents are inexcusable.

I couldn’t give a damn if he reported for international duty dressed as Dolly Parton but showing for a Man Utd U-21 game, having been dropped for poor performances, in a £250k Rolls-Royce absolutely stinks of a rotten attitude.

Mr. Big Stuff showing off the bling he hasn’t done a thing to earn. Seeing prickology like that has a corrosive effect on the attitudes of the young players who then think it’s ok to sulk and stick two fingers up to the club when things aren’t going your way.

Hopefully Mourinho is a fresh start for him but he needs to grow up a bit fast.

Im not arguing with you about his attitude i agree with you its just the first time if heard that story. Where did you get it from?

it was said at the time, giggs had words with him, around october or that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Korat wrote: »
    Memphis' attitude is bad and some incidents are inexcusable.

I couldn’t give a damn if he reported for international duty dressed as Dolly Parton but showing for a Man Utd U-21 game, having been dropped for poor performances, in a £250k Rolls-Royce absolutely stinks of a rotten attitude.

Mr. Big Stuff showing off the bling he hasn’t done a thing to earn. Seeing prickology like that has a corrosive effect on the attitudes of the young players who then think it’s ok to sulk and stick two fingers up to the club when things aren’t going your way.

Hopefully Mourinho is a fresh start for him but he needs to grow up a bit fast.

I honestly think people read too much into these things, All his cars are worth a bomb he hardy owns a Fiat Punto specifically for U21 games

it was said at the time, giggs had words with him, around october or that

Lets hope ibra is never in the u21s for fitness he would turn up on a chopper surely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

sky88 wrote: »
    not happy with carrick staying needeed to be moved on. offered nothing last season.

As a back-up/cup player, he's fine. Team shouldn't be built round him, but I think if he's willing to take a bench role, then we need that right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

He'll be in good company
    One of the in-house rules at Barcelona was that none of the players were allowed to drive their expensive cars to training. For a while, Ibrahimovic - whose taste for sports cars is as well-developed as his taste for himself - toed the party line; when he fell out with Guardiola, however, that changed.

"What kind of nonsense was that, anyway? I’ll take whatever car I want, at least if I can wind up idiots," he wrote. "I jumped in my Enzo [Ferrari], put my foot down on the gas and parked up right in front of the door to the training facility.”

It's also worth noting Bangkok you seem to have a different version of what was the widely reported story at the time. That Giggs had been tasked with working with Memphis and coaching him into life at United. It was suggested to him that he should maybe keep a lower profile, and when attending the under 21 game organise something low key, by Giggs. And he turned up in his car.

Certain amount of so the **** what. He made tabloid back pages for having the audacity to go shopping, and in that trolley having Capri Suns.....Unless there was some colossus bust up(which we would have read about) Memphis got a bit of a raw deal getting dropped from the team rapidly, instead of getting a little leeway and backing from the manager. Martial had plenty of incidents and stuff on the pitch (as well as off) that all got kinda ignored cause he scored a few goals here and there.

Fickle fandom syndrome. Player isn't playing well, and because he isn't taking the public bus and going home to room to pull the curtains and cry about his performance, he has an attitude problem. People need to grow up. My issue in the Memphis situation is more directed at the coaching staff. Van Gaal for being totally disregarding of him instead of being nurturing(for someone who was supposidly a father figure, and organised for Depay to hang on at PSV for another season after the WC) and then Giggs, for apparently being tasked with helping the player settle and cope with United life, and then coaching playing LW, Giggs appears utterly useless in this situation.

I've never read anything about him being a poor trainer, I've read the exact opposite. Just a combustible figure, little arrogant maybe, but who wouldnt with that ability. Hopefully Mourinho gets him singing, I've put all my eggs into the "Memphis will be amazing" basket

I also like how its somehow his fault he owns a nice car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Lets hope ibra is never in the u21s for fitness he would turn up on a chopper surely.

Read a story before that Pep told all of the Barca players to drive modest cars to training and the next day Zlatan showed up in his Ferrari Enzo :D

Edit - Nevermind, I see you added the story :D

ibra is 34, had a fantastic career, won nearly everything, depay is a new kid on the block and wont last long at the top if he doesnt change his ways quickly.

dont forget how long de Bruyne lasted under Jose, wouldnt be a bit surprised if depay was sold this summer. Got all his cars shipped back to holland earlier in the week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Say what you want about Hitler, but at least he put the 18 year olds on the front line.

Say what you want about Hitler, but he did kill Hitler. So that was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭weisses

What is done in general to coach these youngster millionaires in general? ... Not everyone is strong enough managing all that money and fame.

Memphis is a brilliant player but after moving to United it went down hill ... His latest performance against Ireland was embarrassing to watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Was probably our best Midfielder :confused::confused::confused:

Who offered more in CM? Wow.

Say what you want about Hitler, but he did kill Hitler. So that was good.

But did he :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

ShooterSF wrote: »

no cm was good last year really

he was dreadful was a great player over the years but this is a mistake from Jose. especially with the rumours he will be letting blind go who would do a lot better as a defensive midfielder then carrick now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

The Utd player that's not a Utd player and never will be and is regularly called a lampshade.

TheDoc wrote: »
    He'll be in good company

It's also worth noting Bangkok you seem to have a different version of what was the widely reported story at the time. That Giggs had been tasked with working with Memphis and coaching him into life at United. It was suggested to him that he should maybe keep a lower profile, and when attending the under 21 game organise something low key, by Giggs. And he turned up in his car.

Certain amount of so the **** what. He made tabloid back pages for having the audacity to go shopping, and in that trolley having Capri Suns.....Unless there was some colossus bust up(which we would have read about) Memphis got a bit of a raw deal getting dropped from the team rapidly, instead of getting a little leeway and backing from the manager. Martial had plenty of incidents and stuff on the pitch (as well as off) that all got kinda ignored cause he scored a few goals here and there.

Fickle fandom syndrome. Player isn't playing well, and because he isn't taking the public bus and going home to room to pull the curtains and cry about his performance, he has an attitude problem. People need to grow up. My issue in the Memphis situation is more directed at the coaching staff. Van Gaal for being totally disregarding of him instead of being nurturing(for someone who was supposidly a father figure, and organised for Depay to hang on at PSV for another season after the WC) and then Giggs, for apparently being tasked with helping the player settle and cope with United life, and then coaching playing LW, Giggs appears utterly useless in this situation.

I've never read anything about him being a poor trainer, I've read the exact opposite. Just a combustible figure, little arrogant maybe, but who wouldnt with that ability. Hopefully Mourinho gets him singining, I've put all my eggs into the "Memphis will be amazing" basket

yes giggs was given the task of coaching him as giggs had similar experience at his age.

here is depay talking about Giggs being of good help in feb

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/10179261/memphis-depay-hails-inspirational-manchester-united-mentor-ryan-giggs

2 months later it was widely reported Giggs and United were fed up with depays attitude

http://www.football365.com/news/giggs-despairs-of-uninterested-memphis-report

couple of videos of depay at his awful best this season

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/comments/44rlza/memphis_depay_failed_pass_vs_chelsea/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtJ-NFvquTM

end of season...

depay giving away his boots to security guard leaving training ground

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/memphis-depay-gives-man-united-8018546

other day he is sending all his cars home

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/memphis-depay-sends-350000-worth-8131983

Big fellaini done more last year then carrick.

Big fellaini done more last year then carrick.

carrick played 10 more games than Fellaini last season in the league, much better over the course of the season imo.

carrick played 10 more games than Fellaini last season in the league, much better over the course of the season imo.

How many games was carrick subbed off because he wasnt making any impact? Fellaini had quiet games but scored some goals and gave the opposition somrlething to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

But did he :)

Hmmm maybe your right, It could have been Lee Harvey Bush jr who did it after getting away with 9/11

#illuminati

Hmmm maybe your right, It could have been Lee Harvey Bush jr who did it after getting away with 9/11

#illuminati

Did they find a body?

• Advertisement

Its ridiculous the amount of players we linked with every year is anyone keeping a count this summer?

How many games was carrick subbed off because he wasnt making any impact? Fellaini had quiet games but scored some goals and gave the opposition somrlething to think about.

subbed off more because van gaal wanted to bring on schweignstiger.

lets not go over the top here, fellaini was meant to be a forward for us this season and played a few games up front and scored 1 premier league goal all season

ibra is 34, had a fantastic career, won nearly everything, depay is a new kid on the block and wont last long at the top if he doesnt change his ways quickly.

dont forget how long de Bruyne lasted under Jose, wouldnt be a bit surprised if depay was sold this summer. Got all his cars shipped back to holland earlier in the week

And who looks the arsehole now in that situation?

The Memphis car thing is typical sensationalism. I see one paper included the line "whilst most likely Depay is sending his cars to Holland for his vacation that is planned in the coming weeks..."
    After last weeks reports sparking transfer speculation after Memphis Depay shipped his cards back to Holland, The Metro can exclusively reveal, in a WORLD EXCLUSIVE, that Depay has heeded fan fury over his cars, and has stored the cars in his native Holland until his retirement.

"I don't know why, but people seem to be freaking their **** over it" remarked the often maligned Dutch winger. "I'm a bit lost as to what is deemed acceptable methods of transport by fans and the media here. I went into a Sports Direct store yesterday, as it looked like that's where poor people shopped, and a guy there told me Wheelies were all the rage. Have you heard of Wheelies? They are amazing.

They are like trainers, but in the heel there are wheels. So they are kind of like skates. They seem to be the hip thing, so I'm hoping people get of my back a bit when they see me on them.

They are really good. Michael Carrick absolutely loved them when I showed him mine. He grabbed my pair and sprinted off shouting "I need to check a rule" or something, and he hasn't taken them off. I think he is really getting a benefit from them. The lads have stopped taking the piss saying the Titanic can turn faster."

Memphis is scheduled to have an extended summer break after his national side missed out on qualification to the European Championships, but may be already in hot water after sections of the fanbase have questioned his lax attitude to safety, after being pictured not wearing a helmet, kneepads or wristguards.

Also I didn't read about that giving boots to security guard. In an alternative universe that is praised as being "sound". There is a pretty surprised delight in one of those pictures from the guy. Shock horror, Memphis made a nice gesture to staff member, before going home to roll on his bedsheets stitched with £100 notes

subbed off more because van gaal wanted to bring on schweignstiger.

lets not go over the top here, fellaini was meant to be a forward for us this season and played a few games up front and scored 1 premier league goal all season

Thats not fellainis fault lvg thought he was a forward. Lets not go over the top here he also though ashley young was a striker.

Im not saying fellaini was fantastic he was far from it but he was better then the rest of our midfielders.

Give me a gew games where carrick contributed where you could say he was the difference between a win and a loss?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

https://twitter.com/CheGiaevara/status/740922816967671810

And Madrid will be banned till 2018.

Thats not fellainis fault lvg thought he was a forward. Lets not go over the top here he also though ashley young was a striker.

Im not saying fellaini was fantastic he was far from it but he was better then the rest of our midfielders.

Give me a gew games where carrick contributed where you could say he was the difference between a win and a loss?

straight off the top of my head, Manchester derby away to city. won 1-0 and made a massive goal line tackle on bony to make sure we got 3 points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I can't get my head around the chastising of Memphis for driving his Rolls to the u-21 game. He's hardly going to out and buy a Ford Focus just to drive to one single game.

Judging by his sense of style I'd say his Rolls was the least flashy of his car collection.

straight off the top of my head, Manchester derby away to city. won 1-0 and made a massive goal line tackle on bony to make sure we got 3 points

Nice thats one :) i can think of the everton game and westham games in the cup for fellaini and i can think of the fa cup final where he was probably the best midfielder if you dont count rooney.

• Advertisement

There is huge merit in having someone like Carrick on the playing staff. A Champions League winner and a consumate pro who can act as a link between more successful times and now. There are so few of them around now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

baz2009 wrote: »
    I can't get my head around the chastising of Memphis for driving his Rolls to the u-21 game. He's hardly going to out and buy a Ford Focus just to drive to one single game.

Judging by his sense of style I'd say his Rolls was the least flashy of his car collection.

Yeah i wouldn't be his most devoted follower but i wouldn't be too angry at him for this, as you say he's hardly got a 1999 hatchback lying in the garage.

Call a taxi. :rolleyes:

Korat wrote: »
    Call a taxi. :rolleyes:

Could end up with a veyron on uber these days i see.

fairly simple really, you are playing against young players trying to make their breakthrough in the game, the like of Rashford on £400 a week. Most of the fans at the game get in for free, or children do and parents pay £5.
    You see a Man Utd first team player arrive for the game in a rolls royce who is having an awful season and all the talk before the game is of this fancy car parked out in the car park. It creates unwanted attention at a time when he needs no attention at all.
    He could easily have gotten a lift to the game or use of one of many club cars that wouldnt be "as flashy"

Nice thats one :) i can think of the everton game and westham games in the cup for fellaini and i can think of the fa cup final where he was probably the best midfielder if you dont count rooney.

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2015/2016/michael_carrick/165/165/575/0/p|premier_league/2015/2016/marouane_fellaini/165/165/466/38/p#total_score#avg

theres a stat website between the 2. have fun :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

If he wore one of his hats on the pitch for the duration of the game then maybe that would be extravagant but **** sake Man Utd Player In Flash Car Shocker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I reckon if Memphis had any conscience he would have walked to that U21s game in a Dunnes track suit.

On another note, I dont think any of the players should drive their cars to home games or training sessions. Think of the poor normal people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

fairly simple really, you are playing against young players trying to make their breakthrough in the game, the like of Rashford on £400 a week. Most of the fans at the game get in for free, or children do and parents pay £5.
    You see a Man Utd first team player arrive for the game in a rolls royce who is having an awful season and all the talk before the game is of this fancy car parked out in the car park. It creates unwanted attention at a time when he needs no attention at all.
    He could easily have gotten a lift to the game or use of one of many club cars that wouldnt be "as flashy"

I do think it's only because it suits a narrative. I've seen a couple of u-21 games and I've never seen the car park for the players or gone looking for it. I've also seen established 1st team players playing in these games on a recovery and don't see many mentions about what car they were driving.

At the end of the day any display of wealth will piss some people off and things can be twisted in anyway you want. If I was a player id be looking at that car thinking "that's gonna be me in a year or two"

A player with the right attitude is not gonna be negatively affected by Memphis driving a rolls much the same way Barca weren't gonna be affected by Zlatan turning up in an Enzo.

Now Stephen Ireland in that pink hummer, that's a different ball game :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

So I take it Memphis and his car is now the focus of bangkoks ire?

That will do the big fella the world of good going into euros.

Take the pressure off like.

Memphis has sent his Rolls back to Holland, maybe Jose has sent word that he'll only be allowed travel by Fiat Punto next season. :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement