Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I heard that memphis asked the dinner lady for milk in his coffee now it may not be true but if he did that now he just wants to be sent out of the club asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

markc91 wrote: »
    Back to Memphis I heard the reason he was dropped for the cup final was that he gave the (Filthy) boots to the security guard at Carrington and told them he wanted them clean for tomorrow which Lvg got wind of and lashed him for it and dropped him for the cup final, could be bs but have heard other true stories from the same lad before...

If that was the case there would have been more headlines and coverage, as opposed to the minimal coverage to the story of him providing them as a gift.

Pretty sure that lad is spoofing or misheard.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Seems to be reports that the Embolo deal is advancing along and we have no competition anymore for him. As a Football Manager player, this pleases me :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Seems to be reports that the Embolo deal is advancing along and we have no competition anymore for him. As a Football Manager player, this pleases me :P

Surprised we haven't signed Balanta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Lord TSC wrote: »

Bolo, Bolo Bolo, Bolo Bolo, Breel Embolo! Bolo, Bolo Bolo... :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Bolo, Bolo Bolo, Bolo Bolo, Breel Embolo! Bolo, Bolo Bolo... :cool:

We'll need a Bailly chant.

"Bailly,Bailly Baby,Baby Bailly Bailly" (Remember the 2 L's are silent lads)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/RobDawsonMEN/status/741201506146344960

United's retained/released list to be published by the Premier League later today. Should have news of what is happening with Nick Powell.

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/RobDawsonMEN/status/741201506146344960

United's retained/released list to be published by the Premier League later today. Should have news of what is happening with Nick Powell.

Massive whiff of "kinda don't care". Unfortunate as he was an exciting prospect, but like so many just fails to live up to the promise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

TheDoc wrote: »
    Massive whiff of "kinda don't care". Unfortunate as he was an exciting prospect, but like so many just fails to live up to the promise.

How dare you, the lad is class at FIFA :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

We are a bit done with Depay in The Netherlands for a while already.

Started with showing up like this for a couple of matches with the Dutch team

8f92126081de45b7ec58adfbe863b72c.png

Now 1 of these 2 is dressed appropriately for august 31st 2015.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Sweden manager almost confirmed Ibrahimovic's move. Said it would not be okay for Zlatan to fly to Manchester And he should stay with Sweden camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I personally think anyone who has a problem with a player wearing a hat or driving his car to things should be killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Talks of a footballer buying a house in Manchester, media saying zlatan but it could be any united or city player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Serious tho who cares what he wares on a pitch bloody christ david beckham wore a skirt.......

Also thank god we didnt sign this man last summer his attitude stinks look what he wears

am64aq.jpg

Memphis could run around in a borat costume for all i care it's his attitude on pitch i hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

inforfun wrote: »
    Now 1 of these 2 is dressed appropriately for august 31st 2015.

Who decides this? Where is it written how you should dress for August 31st?

Someone should tell Messi his terrible Ballon D'or tuxedos are not appropriate and that they show his bad attitude.

Juan8 wrote: »
    Who decides this? Where is it written how you should dress for August 31st?

Ok, go ahead.
    Wear a hat and scarf in 25 degrees.

But dont be suprised if people think you are a tool.

Now if he had personally made sure The Netherlands would already had qualification sealed at that moment, i guess people would have given him 2 extra hats to wear. But we know how that went.
    But when you play ****, dont attract attention like that too much. Or at least wait till december to dress like that

Ok, go ahead.
    Wear a hat and scarf in 25 degrees.

But dont be suprised if people think you are a tool.

Now if he had personally made sure The Netherlands would already had qualification sealed at that moment, i guess people would have given him 2 extra hats to wear. But we know how that went.
    But when you play ****, dont attract attention like that too much. Or at least wait till december to dress like that

He can dress how he wants, there's no rule stopping him. I doubt he cares who thinks he looks like a tool either

Juan8 wrote: »
    He can dress how he wants, there's no rule stopping him. I doubt he cares who thinks he looks like a tool either

That much is clear indeed :D

I dont care either to be honest. I wouldnt dress like that and certainly not in the middle of the summer.

It is/was his complete **** performances for the Dutch team that make me think: Go under the radar for a while, make sure you play better first before getting the spot light in these kind of ways on you again.

It is bad mouthing Van Persie during training with remarks such as "Who do you play for again?" when Van Persie tries to point out a few things Depay could do better.

As said, it was showing up like that that started it is in The Netherlands. It is not just that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

The only thing that annoyed me about Depay (apart from some hopeless displays) was when he flew home to Rotterdam for a party after we'd just lost to Sunderland and just a few days before the Midtyland game. Jack Grealish got tonnes of abuse/hassle for doing the same thing, and whilst that was over the top, if you're getting paid well and it's in the middle of the season then you should be keeping your head down - especially after an embarrassing enough loss and you're struggling to get in the team.

I dont care either to be honest. I wouldnt dress like that and certainly not in the middle of the summer.

It is/was his complete **** performances for the Dutch team that make me think: Go under the radar for a while, make sure you play better first before getting the spot light in these kind of ways on you again.

It is bad mouthing Van Persie during training with remarks such as "Who do you play for again?" when Van Persie tries to point out a few things Depay could do better.

As said, it was showing up like that that started it is in The Netherlands. It is not just that.

exactly, he was told by United not to turn up to United game in flash car, he turns up in Rolls Royce. We slag Balotelli and rightly so when he was at liverpool, depay is known more for what he does off the pitch rather than what he has done on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Hococop wrote: »
    Talks of a footballer buying a house in Manchester, media saying zlatan but it could be any united or city player

A property finding company said something about they found a mansion for Zlatan or something like that.

The Van Persie thing was a bad attitude, 100% theres no denying that

And since he's signed for United he's been terrible for both club and country, theres no denying that either

I just think the clothes, cars etc is just looking for another chance to have a go at him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It should be common sense to players that everything they do will be under scrutiny if they are playing badly

Didn't Fergie ban flashy cars? A young lad, playing shíte, turning up in a Bentley and a poncho just screams primadonna to me. The guy obviously thinks he has made it without playing a handful of decent games for the club.

I'd loan him to a championship club or back to Holland for a year to try and ground him.

Didn't Fergie ban flashy cars? A young lad, playing shíte, turning up in a Bentley and a poncho just screams primadonna to me. The guy obviously thinks he has made it without playing a handful of decent games for the club.

Seems that way alright. Like it's one thing being Zlatan, but Zlatan had won things and had a proven record by the time of the Barcelona car incident. There's no way that Fergie would have put up with behaviour that was flashy or any youngsters partying (see Giggs and Sharpes party for instance). And evidently Van Gaal didn't put up with it either because he was dropped so many times this year whether for poor performances or lifestyle, including for the FA Cup final.

that Van Persie Depay situation was very clearly reported on what took place, but seems to tends to take a twist to suit certain narratives, normally the anti Memphis one

The only thing that annoyed me about Depay (apart from some hopeless displays) was when he flew home to Rotterdam for a party after we'd just lost to Sunderland and just a few days before the Midtyland game. Jack Grealish got tonnes of abuse/hassle for doing the same thing, and whilst that was over the top, if you're getting paid well and it's in the middle of the season then you should be keeping your head down - especially after an embarrassing enough loss and you're struggling to get in the team.

This is the fickle fandom situation in all its glory. (Don't take it personally).

We lose to Sunderland and fans expect players to go home, draw the curtains and live in a state of depression until the next game arrives.

By all accounts Memphis had a good time, and did nothing unbecoming of an athlete currently in the throws of a season (drugs, alcohol, eating)

grealish gets ****, for being pictured flat out of his tits lieing in a road pissed, toking on pipes or being a general numpty.

It's not Memphis' fault people are interested in his cars, his hats, or how many Capri Suns he drinks.

bangkok wrote: »
    exactly, he was told by United not to turn up to United game in flash car, he turns up in Rolls Royce. We slag Balotelli and rightly so when he was at liverpool, depay is known more for what he does off the pitch rather than what he has done on it.

You really need to stop perpetuating that the club requested that. Was clearly reported that it was a recommendation from Giggs and some senior players to stem some heat.

Memphis has at no point, done anything, against club wishes. He's been advised by some people to do things mildly differently. And considering the requests, I'm not surprised hes ignoring them.

So can we stop trying to paint him as some anti establishment figure or trouble maker?

that Van Persie Depay situation was very clearly reported on what took place, but seems to tends to take a twist to suit certain narratives, normally the anti Memphis one

I only know the "Dutch" version and the press there is not exactly pro Van Persie since euro2012.

I only know the "Dutch" version and the press there is not exactly pro Van Persie since euro2012.

Well it was the Dutch version that very much appeared first. And the original source material indicated that Van Persie was being anything but helpful to Memphis

Considering that stuff that emerged after he was sold by us, I think it painted a pretty clear picture of what Van Persie is generally like, and I have to say I was very much surprised going by his general demeanour and the way he conducted himself publicly in his first season at United. I remember lots of us in this thread were complimentary about him and the way he spoke and carried himself. Turns out to be an absolutely toxic player

• Advertisement

You really need to stop perpetuating that the club requested that. Was clearly reported that it was a recommendation from Giggs and some senior players to stem some heat.

Memphis has at no point, done anything, against club wishes. He's been advised by some people to do things mildly differently. And considering the requests, I'm not surprised hes ignoring them.

So can we stop trying to paint him as some anti establishment figure or trouble maker?

so as you say, he was "recommended" not to turn up at u21 game in flash car. he goes home, could have got a lift to the game or used a club car, but says "f*ck it" i'll go in whatever car i want. turns up in rolls royce, that stinks of attitude

depay was also called by an ex ajax coach a joke for turning up form 2 massive qualifying games for holland dressed like "Peruvian pan flute player"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

depay was also called by an ex ajax coach a joke for turning up form 2 massive qualifying games for holland dressed like "Peruvian pan flute player"

What difference does it make what way he dresses? If he's performing on the field it's a complete non issue but when he's not performing automatically he has a bad attitude. It's incredibly stupid logic to base a players desire or dedication on the way he dresses or what car he drives.

One senior United player told him not to turn up at the reserve game in a flash car. That player has done far more damage to the club in the past 18 months than Memphis ever could.

What do you think of our club captain hanging players out to dry in the press? The problem at United is that the likes of Rooney, Giggs, Carrick etc are constantly talking to the press and our fans are stupid enough to pick up whatever narrative or spin the press feeds them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

That's a good line in fairness although I'm not surprised an ex Ajax coach had a pop at an ex PSV player anyway.

But seriously how he dresses is the last thing anyone in football should worry about, if he's doing the business nobody mentions his dress sense. Criticise performance or attitude just not not his taste in clothes.

Well it was the Dutch version that very much appeared first. And the original source material indicated that Van Persie was being anything but helpful to Memphis

Considering that stuff that emerged after he was sold by us, I think it painted a pretty clear picture of what Van Persie is generally like, and I have to say I was very much surprised going by his general demeanour and the way he conducted himself publicly in his first season at United. I remember lots of us in this thread were complimentary about him and the way he spoke and carried himself. Turns out to be an absolutely toxic player

Not going to deep into that but Van Persie has been kalt gestellt (as the German say) by the Ajax clan in and around the Dutch team. Not in the last place by Daddy Blind. And the Dutch press had an axe to grind with Van Persie.

From memory, Depay has been the first young player who had a problem with Van Persie at the Dutch team, while under van Gaal in Brazil he couldnt be closer to Van Persie.
    De Vrij, Martins Indi, Janmaat, Clasie, Wijnaldum and quite few more young players made their debut while van Persie was the captain. Never heard any of them say a bad word about him.

After the last 2 years Van Gaal is not your friend anymore but do you think a player is toxic when van Gaal first tells him he ll be 2nd choice after Huntelaar but ends up main striker and captain of the team?
    The same van Gaal people were creaming themselves over when he signed 2 years ago.

(i wonder who the author of your source material was, my guess is taco van der velde)

duffman13 wrote: »
    That's a good line in fairness although I'm not surprised an ex Ajax coach had a pop at an ex PSV player anyway.

But seriously how he dresses is the last thing anyone in football should worry about, if he's doing the business nobody mentions his dress sense. Criticise performance or attitude just not not his taste in clothes.

Exactly, or like Cantona or Roy Keane if you are involved in a bar fight it is overlooked as you are doing the business on the field.

we laugh at balotelli for what he does off the field. Depay is in the same boat imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

It really feels like we have some young teenage girls posting on the thread.

"ooh look what hes wearing..." "Ooh flashy car...."

Mother of sweet Jaysus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭weisses

Thing is that when you play crap the last thing you want and need is attracting attention that can provoke even more negativity

That was the legend that is Van Hanegem who made that remark.
    Very much not a ex-ajax coach :D

Not going to deep into that but Van Persie has been kalt gestellt (as the German say) by the Ajax clan in and around the Dutch team. Not in the last place by Daddy Blind. And the Dutch press had an axe to grind with Van Persie.

From memory, Depay has been the first young player who had a problem with Van Persie at the Dutch team, while under van Gaal in Brazil he couldnt be closer to Van Persie.
    De Vrij, Martins Indi, Janmaat, Clasie, Wijnaldum and quite few more young players made their debut while van Persie was the captain. Never heard any of them say a bad word about him.

After the last 2 years Van Gaal is not your friend anymore but do you think a player is toxic when van Gaal first tells him he ll be 2nd choice after Huntelaar but ends up main striker and captain of the team?
    The same van Gaal people were creaming themselves over when he signed 2 years ago.

(i wonder who the author of your source material was, my guess is taco van der velde)

That Dutch squad is like a soap opera at the best of times, a lot of players seem to have very little time for each other. There is two sides to every story and most Dutch reporters seem to be far from neutral when reporting.

I think both RVP and Depay had a squabble but I doubt we will ever know the full story of what was said and by whom. I know you follow it quiet closely (I regularly steal some of your tips) but the whole national team seems a mess the last two years.

I meet two PSV fans on hols, they thought Depay was over rated before signing for United, as an avid follower of the Eredivisie would you think he has what it takes to make it at the very top level? Could he be as good as Robben?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

adox wrote: »
    It really feels like we have some young teenage girls posting on the thread.

"ooh look what hes wearing..." "Ooh flashy car...."

Mother of sweet Jaysus!

"Ohh look at those muppetts in their cream suits at a cup final."

Do fans even watch the games anymore?

• Advertisement

weisses wrote: »
    Thing is that when you play crap the last thing you want and need is attracting attention that can provoke even more negativity

I agree but I wouldn't have outlandish style or personality, maybe Memphis does. He shouldn't curb who he is or how he dresses because it's against the norm. Let the guy live and be vocal about his poor work rate or wastefulness.

There is literally a dozen reasons to criticise him, his clothes aren't one of them IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭weisses

I agree but I wouldn't have outlandish style or personality, maybe Memphis does. He shouldn't curb who he is or how he dresses because it's against the norm. Let the guy live and be vocal about his poor work rate or wastefulness.

There is literally a dozen reasons to criticise him, his clothes aren't one of them IMO.

Agree... Problem with Memphis is that he is very aware and touchy about what people (press) broadcast or write about him, He didn't even talked to the press alot of times during his stay with PSV because they were to critical or unfair according to him ... These things have an effect on him, He is very susceptible for outside influences, Its the reason for his failed first season at United and his current form imo

That Dutch squad is like a soap opera at the best of times, a lot of players seem to have very little time for each other. There is two sides to every story and most Dutch reporters seem to be far from neutral when reporting.

I think both RVP and Depay had a squabble but I doubt we will ever know the full story of what was said and by whom. I know you follow it quiet closely (I regularly steal some of your tips) but the whole national team seems a mess the last two years.

I meet two PSV fans on hols, they thought Depay was over rated before signing for United, as an avid follower of the Eredivisie would you think he has what it takes to make it at the very top level? Could he be as good as Robben?

National team became a mess when they appointed Hiddink/Blind while Ronald Koeman would have done it for free if you had asked him nicely.
    A guy who during his career only took jobs that filled his bank account the best together with a guy with 14 months of manager experience somewhere back in 2004. It was a accident waiting to happen and damn the crash was spectacular.
    Made a bit of money from it.

Depay is talented for sure but not Robben or van Persie talented.
    Add to that an attitude problem not in the last place caused at Psv. At a few millions to the bank account and of you go.
    Small example: No one there told him to **** off after missing 5 out of 7 penalties at 1 point. (as an example why psv had added to the attitude issue)

He is ..what .. 21/22? he might wake up. Van Persie age 18 was a disaster at Feyenoord as well, picking fights with Van Hooijdonk and all. At least he had won an UEFA cup at that point already.
    He came out alright.
    But i will not be surprised to see Depay doing a Royston Drenthe who went from Feyenoord to Real Madrid and now plays for Baniyas.
    Still has millions in the bank so not all is bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Korat wrote: »

When stuff like "Fellaini reveals his Euro16 haircut" appears as a sports headline on websites etc, you can understand how people get sucked into it.
    Makes me weep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

If we're going to be worrying about what footballers are wearing, then I suggest that we at least get together and watch EastEnders, paint our nails and have a glass of wine while we do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I don't see anybody calling Fergie a teenage girl for controlling what cars players drove

What has that got to do with football right?

This is the fickle fandom situation in all its glory. (Don't take it personally).

We lose to Sunderland and fans expect players to go home, draw the curtains and live in a state of depression until the next game arrives.

By all accounts Memphis had a good time, and did nothing unbecoming of an athlete currently in the throws of a season (drugs, alcohol, eating)

grealish gets ****, for being pictured flat out of his tits lieing in a road pissed, toking on pipes or being a general numpty.

It's not Memphis' fault people are interested in his cars, his hats, or how many Capri Suns he drinks.

I'd expect players to have a level of cop on to go, 'do you know what, being snapped at a party in Rotterdam is probably not going to help my chances of getting in the team for Thursday night'. That's all I'm saying. But there's a lot of red flags in one season already with the biggest one being how shocking he was in a lot of our games.

I'd expect players to have a level of cop on to go, 'do you know what, being snapped at a party in Rotterdam is probably not going to help my chances of getting in the team for Thursday night'. That's all I'm saying. But there's a lot of red flags in one season already with the biggest one being how shocking he was in a lot of our games.

"You know what, the pre-approved and arranged birthday party, during time off, probably won't effect the selection of the team as long as I don't turn up to work drunk, so maybe I will still go and relax with friends"

Korat wrote: »

When Alex ferguson seen liverpool walk onto the Wembley pitch in the white suits this is what he had to say....

I said to Brian Kidd '1-0'. Because of that," Ferguson says in the one-off BBC programme Sir Alex Ferguson: Secrets of Success. "I think that's, what would you call it? Arrogance or over-confidence. It was ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. Blue shirt, red and white tie and white suit. And a blue flower.

Who designed that? They say it was Armani. I bet his sales went down."
    "I mean Jamie Redknapp's got sunglasses on, but you know the most telling part of it is Roy Evans and Ron Moran had black suits on. I think they were embarrassed.

Liverpool Football Club's a great club with history they've won the European Cup more times than Manchester United. Between Manchester United and Liverpool, they've won more trophies than any other club in Great Britain. That didn't represent Liverpool."
    Ryan Giggs a starter in the final, revealed Ferguson used Liverpool's suits as motivation for the players.

The Liverpool episode at Wembley where they were wearing the white suits. He used stuff like that," Giggs adds in the programme.
    "'What do you mean they think they’ve won it already?'"

I don't see anybody calling Fergie a teenage girl for controlling what cars players drove

What has that got to do with football right?

He didn't control what cars the first team players drove (Giggs changed from a Ferrari cause it was found the seat position was contributing to his hamstring issues).

He did stop the youth players from being given company cars (sporty audi's or chevrolets) but once they made the first team they could have what they wanted.

Or can you provide evidence to the contrary?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement