Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I'm only going for the Italy game. Hope we still have a chance by then.

If the De Gea deadline is true then thats great news. Get past Wednesday and he is staying for sure.

• Ye going for the three group games lads?

Nope just the Italy match

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I don't see De Gea leaving, and I believe he is also innocent in the trouble he finds himself in.
    Marca say he was in his room playing the PlayStation when he was told of the allegations. He immediately rang his family to let them know what was happening and the same with the top people involved with the Spanish team.
    Gerard Pique and Jordi Alba went with him to the press conference to support him.
    I hope it is all cleared up soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

GSPfan wrote:
    If the De Gea deadline is true then thats great news. Get past Wednesday and he is staying for sure.

Still not sure how much I'd trust Castles..
    You know how these imaginary deadlines go??
    Was it 2010/11 we were due to announce a raft of signings on one day,everyone here going nuts and then nothing happened???
    Just don't get your hopes up
    Paper never refuses ink?? De gea stories sell or attract clickbait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Whos bringing the horse to france???

Edit: Damn you brinty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

England should have carried Phil Jones to take the corners :D

jayo26 wrote:
    Whos bringing the horse to france???

Edit: Damn you brinty

Gotta get outta bed earlier than me to get a cliche like that out oul pal

brinty wrote: »
    Gotta get outta bed earlier than me to get a cliche like that out oul pal

Not many of us are old enough to remember them adds haha.

jayo26 wrote:

We're not old jayo
    We just have experience over a majority of posters

jayo26 wrote: »

• Advertisement

I read that last night i think it will be either united or the Olympics.

jayo26 wrote:
    I read that last night i think it will be either united or the Olympics.

Read it too
    If he goes to Rio he's going to China
    Mourinho won't stand for that kind if nonsense

If Zlatan goes to the Olympics, I have no problem. We should have a team good enough to be winning while he is away, presuming he signs.

RobertKK wrote: »
    If Zlatan goes to the Olympics, I have no problem. We should have a team good enough to be winning while he is away, presuming he signs.

What about settling into the team and resting he is a 34 year old.man thats already played over 50 games this season he has played in the.euros if he decides for Olympic he will have anothet training camp and friendly games he will be joining up with united probably october at earliest.

How do you tell a young player like rashford that the new guy thats come in late is going to take your spot because he is earning 4 times as much as you.

As good as ibra is if he is going to the olympics well i wouldnt be bothered with him there is noway he could be anyway fresh for a season in english football at his age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

As good as ibra is if he is going to the olympics well i wouldnt be bothered with him there is noway he could be anyway fresh for a season in english football at his age.

I'd happily still take him. Admittedly, he might not be as fresh starting off, but over the course of the entire season, he's the type of character and type of player we are desperately in need of. Rotate him in for the first few games with Rashford and we'll be fine.

• astradave wrote: »

Since when did ibra take over as manager at Utd?

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'd happily still take him. Admittedly, he might not be as fresh starting off, but over the course of the entire season, he's the type of character and type of player we are desperately in need of. Rotate him in for the first few games with Rashford and we'll be fine.

I get he is quality but paying a player 200k a week that not be contributing anything major to team until after xmass wouldnt be great business.

I get he is quality but paying a player 200k a week that not be contributing anything major to team until after xmass wouldnt be great business.

Sure, we do it for Rooney :pac:

• Advertisement

I seen posted elsewhere that Veratti took Ibra leaving PSG very hard and was very close.. so I'd defo forgive Ibra for going to the Olympics if he could convince Veratti to join.. unbelievable player.

Whats the thoughts on lucas these days has he really regressed at psg that much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

If Zlatan is planning to go to the Olympics and then come to United he's taking the piss. This is exactly the downside of taking on an egomaniac in the twilight of his career, caring more about his legacy and not giving two hoots about his club. Hopefully its not true but of it is I don't want him anywhere near us.

Whats the thougjts on lucas these days has he really regressed at psg that much?

I'm not sure if regressed is the right word in his case. He definitely has failed to fulfil his potential anyways.

astradave wrote: »
    I'm not sure if regressed is the right word in his case. He definitely has failed to fulfil his potential anyways.

Yeh he had a few average seasons i thought he was decent his first few months in france. Would be worth a shot at a decent price.

For people at the top of their game or sport, it is about winning.
    I don't have a problem with anyone seeking to win gold at the Olympics. They will be retired long enough and it is a long time to have regrets.

I presume we will buy someone for the right side of midfield.
    Let's say Ibrahimovic signs and goes to the Olympics...

New right winger - Rooney - Memphis
    Martial

We should be alright. I wish he didn't want to go to the Olympics, but it does show the driving ambition of the person, and that is something that will be so good for our team, that will to win is why he wants to go to the Olympics which makes wanting to go to the Olympics a small price to pay in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Whats the thoughts on lucas these days has he really regressed at psg that much?

lightning fast, had a decent season, end product still a bit here and there, but only 23 so can still improve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Not sure if already posted. Enjoying Jose pics.

352ADFA500000578-0-Jose_Mourinho_prepares_to_watch_England_s_opening_game_of_Euro_2-a-94_1465682337545.jpg
    With the caption - 3 matches in a row, the sofa is gettig tired of us.

Wonder did he spot any potential new signings.
    I'm sure he saw that free kick that the Wales player scored. Looks like he has some potential...eh Jose.

When does that episode of Gogglebox go out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Never fancied him at the time when he was linked with Utd and am glad they didn't spend mad money on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

adox wrote: »

Why surprised? Should he not be playing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Why surprised? Should he not be playing....

They are playing Ukraine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Johner wrote: »
    They are playing Ukraine.

Ah I see haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

adox wrote: »

What did it say? When I click the link it seems to have been removed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

What did it say? When I click the link it seems to have been removed?

It wished Basti good luck tonight vs Poland...but Germany are playing Ukraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

ElChe32 wrote: »
    It wished Basti good luck tonight vs Poland...but Germany are playing Ukraine.

Who knew Man Utd could confuse Basti with Paddy McNair :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

Forget about Pogba it should be Modric we should be trying to sign. What a class player. Plays like Scholes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

It's just not even Real Madrid are stupid enough to replace modric, despite how stupid they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I constantly feel that it's insulting to Scholes when compared so often to Rooney, cause it's like saying Scholes was best known as an older midfielder who could do long diagonal passes. Scholes was far, far, FAR more than what Rooney looks able to contribute in midfield.

English media and pundits totally suckered for Rooneys diagonal passing to fullbacks, that is nothing like what Scholes did. scholes would hit those passes with pace, onto strikers or behind defences.

Rooney floating those passes out wide is infuriating. People get suckered by them thinking its some form of ability, when all it does it look nice, and allow a defence to totally shift across and it being a pointless pass.

Rooney is not a midfielder, and it will last a short while until he gets dominanted by a proper midfield. If anything it will shorten his career, not prolong it.

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    English media and pundits totally suckered for Rooneys diagonal passing to fullbacks, that is nothing like what Scholes did. scholes would hit those passes with pace, onto strikers or behind defences.

Rooney floating those passes out wide is infuriating. People get suckered by them thinking its some form of ability, when all it does it look nice, and allow a defence to totally shift across and it being a pointless pass.

Rooney is not a midfielder, and it will last a short while until he gets dominanted by a proper midfield. If anything it will shorten his career, not prolong it.

I read an article before on the stats of these cross field long balls taken and the conclusion was they were at best neutral for a team and at worst a negative I'll try find it but it was a few years back mind.

In fairness to Rooney he did play one nice through ball to Ali but the cross field air balls annoy me especially when they are so telegraphed

Edit: it was actually a viedo here is the link to the page http://thefalse9.com/2014/11/ineffectiveness-diagonal-cross-field-passes.html

Bit harsh on rooney in my opinion. I dont need to look at stats to see he played well last night in midfield and he has been more then decent for united since he came back from injuries this season.

Yeh he plays long balls but he had 5 successfull out of nine annd one of the unsuccessful balls were a nice threw ball that player bearly missed his timing.

He had two nice shots on goal one was a decent take down and hit on the volley.

He tracked back well made a couple of clearances.

He had 85 percent pass accuracy from 65 passes not too shabby.

Allround he put in a great performance.

He wont be any worldclass midfielder but some people are making out he just stands there and lobs the ball out to the wings which is not true he puts in a decent shift and if he is played there for us next season he can only improve.

Right now he would probaby offer more in midfield then scweinsteiger.

Right now he would probaby offer more in midfield then scweinsteiger.

Not disagreeing, but I don't think either should be who we build our midfield round next season.

Using stats from one game against a very poor team won't convince anyone that Rooney deserves to be starting in midfield next season if they aren't already convinced.

Honestly, I'd rather this notion that Rooney HAS to play go out the window, and players get positions based on merit, not name value. I would be far, far happier if we went and signed an actual midfielder, instead of shifting a striker into the position in the hopes he does the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Hollywood balls. The same kind that Stevie G used to get praised for which lead to about zero total goals in 10 years.

Pyjamarama wrote:
    Hollywood balls. The same kind that Stevie G used to get praised for which lead to about zero total goals in 10 years.

Don't you know thou shalt not issue such statements about Stevie G....

Stevie is the greatest ever scouser....
    Stevie never did anything wrong on a football pitch...
    Stevie never held his club to ransom...
    Stevie never tried to get a move away from his beloved Liverpool...
    Stevie never assaulted a DJ...
    He'd never do anything to sully his name...
    The greatest mystery in the Catholic Church isn't about the big bang but how Stevie still hasn't received a sainthood...

According to the British press anyways....

Not disagreeing, but I don't think either should be who we build our midfield round next season.

Using stats from one game against a very poor team won't convince anyone that Rooney deserves to be starting in midfield next season if they aren't already convinced.

Honestly, I'd rather this notion that Rooney HAS to play go out the window, and players get positions based on merit, not name value. I would be far, far happier if we went and signed an actual midfielder, instead of shifting a striker into the position in the hopes he does the job.

Sorry but i wasnt using the game or stats to argue he should start next season in midfield i was using the stats to show that he didnt just stand there and lump balls to the wings that was my point.

I know rooney aint a fantastic midfielder and he aint no paul Scholes but he is better then alot of people give him credit for.

All people talk about is his hollywood pass but he made 50 other successful passes last night and created two chances and had another two shots on goal and had two clearances and an interception but people just talk about his 9 long balls of which more then half were successful.

Edit: and this thing anout saying he only put in a good performance against poor opposition well it was the poor opposition that we failed to break down and beat last year. Bournemouth and newcastle and the likes. You have to beat what is in front of you.

Pyjamarama wrote: »

and the minute he went up against decent teams, got absolutely slaughtered, culminating in the World Cup, and his inevitable exit from Liverpool.

Rooney is a striker, and anything else is a total waste of time. If Rooney is considered a midfielder next season, he will be retired or sold the following summer. PRetty much guaranteed imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

In Jose Mourinho's 2016/17 team we know Rooney will play most if not all the games he is fit for. Thats the reality. Its gonna happen so get over it now and save yourself the heartache.

If we presume Jose will play his usual 4231 / 451 / 433 formation then there will only be one striker position in the middle. I would much rather live with Rooney in a midfield role as compared to up front either in the middle or in a wide role.

If last nights display is an indication of Rooneys ability in midfield then I'm relieved because he done well. Trust Jose to get the best out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQeWeM7_xx0

https://youtu.be/Lifp9CKY9zs?t=1m6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rqh6GqEVFg

https://youtu.be/wlz_P-tZj_w?t=5s

Not sure if that's trying to debunk me but just agrees with my point. Villa and Bournemouth.

Rooney is a quality player. And against poor teams who sit off he will do well. Like last night with Russias second choice midfield.

It's against better teams ill question how it will work.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement