Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Juventus want €160 million for Pogba according to Marca. Zidane to discuss it with Perez.

They can have him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Gaitan signs for Atleti

Link

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

RobertKK wrote: »
    Juventus want €160 million for Pogba according to Marca. Zidane to discuss it with Perez.

They can have him.

He's a fantastic footballer but not 160 million, that buys Bale and/or Griezmann who would be more needed, I think Juventus might be waiting a while to get that money either from ourselves or Real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

There is no way Pogba would sell for that amount.

Its just Juves way of saying it will take a whopper bid to get him.

Tbh i can see him going to Madrid for around £50m plus the likes of Kroos or James.

Would be sound business by Juve and Madrid do so love swinging their dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Cotts72

It would seem Jose is going down the martial route transfer wise of investing in wonder kids if rumours are to be believed. Last few days have us linked with draxler,ounes and embolo.im a fan of the idea providing we look at adding one or two experienced players to improve the spine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Hummels had an immense game last night. I'm disappointed we missed out on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Cotts72 wrote: »
    It would seem Jose is going down the martial route transfer wise of investing in wonder kids if rumours are to be believed. Last few days have us linked with draxler,ounes and embolo.im a fan of the idea providing we look at adding one or two experienced players to improve the spine

Could hardly call Draxler a wonder kid at this stage. I'm not entirely convinced by him. He's talented no doubt but he doesn't seem to have progressed that much since he arrived on the scene, he was being linked to big clubs and ended up taking a sideways step last year.
    I haven't seen much football outside of the PL and CL last season though so I wouldn't be in a position to judge his latest campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Once we dont go down the route of Buying 20 or 30 players just to loan them out.

• Controversial opinion:

Pogba is overrated

Yea I said it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Controversial opinion:

Pogba is overrated

Yea I said it

Defo agree. Worth 50 mil tops. Bale is twice the player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Controversial opinion:

Pogba is overrated

Yea I said it

Then you haven't watched him play very much and are basing it on the Euros so far. To say he's been immense for Juve the last 18 months is a massive understatement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Then you haven't watched him play very much and are basing it on the Euros so far. To say he's been immense for Juve the last 18 months is a massive understatement.

Maybe he has watched him and maybe he just can't see why you would need to break the world record to sign him.

He is a very very good midfielder but noway is he worth more then a thorder more then bale.

He is worth about 50 or 60 million Yeh for sure but not over 100 million.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Maybe he has watched him and maybe he just can't see why you would need to break the world record to sign him.

He is a very very good midfielder but noway is he worth more then a thorder more then bale.

He is worth about 50 or 60 million Yeh for sure but not over 100 million.

I don't see how anyone who has watched him play regularly for Juve could think that he's overrated. He's rated as one of the best midfielders in the world, how much Juve are looking for is irrelevant to how he's rated - nobody rated Sterling as a 50m pound player but City bought him for it. The poster didn't say he wasn't worth that money he said he was overrated. There's a big difference. Price tags are going to continue to rise and rise. The fact remains tho that Pogba has been SENSATIONAL consistently for Juve for the last 18 months. He's also still insanely young. He might not be as good as Bale is right now but he's better than Bale was at his age imo. And his ceiling is just as high if not higher. He combines superb technical ability with freakish natural athletic gifts.

I don't see how anyone who has watched him play regularly for Juve could think that he's overrated. He's rated as one of the best midfielders in the world, how much Juve are looking for is irrelevant to how he's rated - nobody rated Sterling as a 50m pound player but City bought him for it. The poster didn't say he wasn't worth that money he said he was overrated. There's a big difference. Price tags are going to continue to rise and rise. The fact remains tho that Pogba has been SENSATIONAL consistently for Juve for the last 18 months. He's also still insanely young. He might not be as good as Bale is right now but he's better than Bale was at his age imo. And his ceiling is just as high if not higher. He combines superb technical ability with freakish natural athletic gifts.

Eh, pricing him at that or agreeing with that pricing is very much overrating him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Controversial opinion:

Pogba is overrated

Yea I said it

I agree, would actually much prefer to see Kroos in our midfield.. unbelievable range of passing and not afraid of a tackle either

How else can you rate a player? If your going to buy a player your going to look at his price. Saying a player is the best midfielder in the world or has potential to be the best is an opinion its not a rating.

If I was wanting get pogba for United and paying more then 100 million pound for him I'd want him to contribute more then 8 league goals and 12 assists.

James Rodriguez would do that for us and he cant even get in the Madrid team on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Pogba is the ultimate highlight reel player. Very good player but like few said overrated. Verratti is a better midfielder so is Koke.

How else can you rate a player? If your going to buy a player your going to look at his price. Saying a player is the best midfielder in the world or has potential to be the best is an opinion its not a rating.

If I was wanting get pogba for United and paying more then 100 million pound for him I'd want him to contribute more then 8 league goals and 12 assists.

James Rodriguez would do that for us and he cant even get in the Madrid team on a regular basis.

Your first comment makes no sense... Paul Pogba is rated as the best young midfielder in the world. He is in fact the best young midfielder in the world. This isn't difficult to work out...

The poster didn't say he wasn't worth €150m (nobody outside of Messi is), he said he was overrated. If you want to believe that he meant "not worth €150" then feel free.

Your first comment makes no sense... Paul Pogba is rated as the best young midfielder in the world. He is in fact the best young midfielder in the world. This isn't difficult to work out...

The poster didn't say he wasn't worth €150m (nobody outside of Messi is), he said he was overrated. If you want to believe that he meant "not worth €150" then feel free.

You said "how much Juve are looking for is irrelevant to how he's rated"
    It's not.
    There comes a price where you say f*ck that, he's not that good.

OK sound.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

ah lads, Pogba is 23 ffs, a baby in midfield terms.

He is one of the best midfielders in the world already. Wait until he is 25 or 26, he is destined to be one of the best midfielders of his generation

You said "how much Juve are looking for is irrelevant to how he's rated"
    It's not.
    There comes a price where you say f*ck that, he's not that good.

Juve have set a huge asking price because thats how the market works... nobody in the world actually thinks Pogba is worth 150, at least it certainly wouldn't be considered a controversial opinion to think that he isn't...

Like I said above he's rated as the best young midfielder in the world. Who's better? He has the potential to be a generational talent as like Bale, Ronaldo, Ibra he is not only technically supremely gifted but he's also a freak of an athlete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

finally a bit of proper talk?

Pogba - 150m - no thanks

A generational player he might be but as some have said their has to be a point at which you say no.

There's a reason Real have a galactico's policy.. because they don't say no.. what happens then.. Real get into financial difficulty and the government bail them out

Manchester United as an entity is built on a more solid foundation and makes relatively sound business decisions. They say NO.

Is pogba a 150m player. not even close.
    Does the market dictate that's the value he's worth.. possibly but highly unlikely

For 150m I want a guarantee this guy is a future multiple time WPOTY and I don't think Pogba is that player.

These are my opinions of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

bangkok wrote: »
    ah lads, Pogba is 23 ffs, a baby in midfield terms.

He is one of the best midfielders in the world already. Wait until he is 25 or 26, he is destined to be one of the best midfielders of his generation

Disagree. Let's see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Juve have put out this figure because they don't want to sell him. Same way Ronaldo's buyout clause is like 1billion or something. It just means their club consider them basically unsellable and it would take a bid way over the perceived 'value' of the player to make them sell. I strongly doubt they think they would achieve such a figure - its to put people off.

Its like if someone want to buy your house but you had no intention of moving. They could offer the market rate for the house ("Sure look, next door sold for 200K so sell me yours for 200k) - but you would be very likely to reject the offer. If they came back with way over the market rate for the house you might just consider it. You might say "You want the house, give me 350K and its yours". You don't want to sell it, but if they offer a massively inflated figure it would make sense to (maybe).

If you were to look to sign a midfielder for the next 10 years - i'd struggle to think of one that would be a better signing than Pogba. Take price out of it, and I think Pogba is a better bet than most. Sure, I would also like Kroos, or Modric, or Veratti - but all of them would come with similar question marks to Pogba.

If United were to sign Pogba I would be over the moon - do any of ye really care Martial cost 60million? Sure, it was a laughable to spend such money on him at the time, and some (including myself) thought it was crazy from the club - but we didn't bankrupt the club signing him, they didn't raid my savings to sign him and I am glad he is a United player. I dont think 150million would be required for Pogba, but if we signed him for 80million... i'd be more than ok with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

astradave wrote: »
    More news on Mickey Ryan

I always seem to see his name as Mickey Tearing.......Maybe it is just my bad mind.:pac:

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Disagree. Let's see what happens.

see ya in 10 years :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

Would much rather sign Kroos or Veratti over Pogba, hell there's even a chance you could get both for the price Juve want for Pogba.

• Advertisement

It's so funny what a change of manager can do for a club. I haven't heard a genuine quality player have his agent say he wants to come to United in a few years.

I couldn't imagine it if we still had lvg in charge.

xtal191 wrote: »
    Would much rather sign Kroos or Veratti over Pogba, hell there's even a chance you could get both for the price Juve want for Pogba.

Veratti is quality, but we need a midfielder than can score and create goals, not another passer/tackler

Veratti is quality, but we need a midfielder than can score and create goals, not another passer/tackler

Well then James Rodriguez does it as good as anyone including pogba and he will cost half the money?

It's so funny what a change of manager can do for a club. I haven't heard a genuine quality player have his agent say he wants to come to United in a few years.

I couldn't imagine it if we still had lvg in charge.

Loads of players have said they want to come to United, but most were just in order to get massive pay rises at their own clubs ala ramos last season

Well then James Rodriguez does it as good as anyone including pogba and he will cost half the money?

tbh i think Mata is just as good as him

tbh i think Mata is just as good as him

Yeh true but jose and mata need to make love not war.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

If United were to sign Pogba I would be over the moon - do any of ye really care Martial cost 60million? Sure, it was a laughable to spend such money on him at the time, and some (including myself) thought it was crazy from the club - but we didn't bankrupt the club signing him, they didn't raid my savings to sign him and I am glad he is a United player. I dont think 150million would be required for Pogba, but if we signed him for 80million... i'd be more than ok with that.
    That's well summed up there Mitch, fair play to you.

TBF Martial was performance related and a wedge upfront. If we could get Pogba for 60-70m and add ons then fine and its a great deal. 70-80m for a straight deal fine too.

I think the 150m is chancing the arm knowing Real would likely have a go at it??

If Pogba does go to Madrid and one of Kroos or Modric becomes available I think that's far better for United as both would fit into Jose's way of playing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I read the agent quotes from Miktarian (sp) and if they are true then its very promising.

Its been reported that what he said is that the player wants to join us and that we want to sign him and that negotiations with BD are ongoing.

Fantastic news if they are actually true comments.

Would be an outstanding acquisition and we would get him for prolly less than £30m.

Exciting times.

Ok this is totally not a fair comparison but as that vile bangkok lad said we need a midfielder that can score and create goals I also think we need someone reliable passing so here is James, Pogba and mata.

293hzrl.png

James has played near half the minutes of the other two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Controversial opinion:

Pogba is overrated

Yea I said it

I very much consider Kroos to be the benchmark CM in world football at the moment, and unlike others has had an excellent start to the Euros(missed last nights game but indication was he was his usual controlling self) but the furor with Pogba seems to be well placed.

International football isn't always a good metric for player measurement, enough players were signed on the back of good tournament that flattered to deceive, and as such ther eis just as many good players who struggle at the Euros.

So far if you didn't know who Lewandowski was, you'd struggle to believe he was one of the best 9's in world football. He has been pretty poor so far. But thats because he is operating in a poorer team. Bale has been a disappointment for me so far. In general play not looking up to much. Ronaldo was poor against Iceland, Muller anonymous for two games (believe he was quiet again last night). Kane has been dire for England and likely will be dropped for Slovakia game. Lukaku was rubbish, the list goes on.

I think the hype around Pogba is justified, in a settled Juventus team with quality around him, he has been excellent. There is still questions over his consistency, but that is fine for a relative young player. And surely the justification on players is always for their club as opposed to their country, where everything is in isolation and essentially once offs.

Our national team CB pairing is two adhorent defenders, yet did well dealing with one of the best strikers of the last decade.

I'll always want Kroos ahead of anyone else, think he would be incredible operating in our midfield. But Pogba has justified hype, and I wouldn't be concerned seeing him in our midfield :)

I'd avoid Rodrigeuz like the plague. We have had our fingers burnt with one Madrid reject, where there is clear confidence issues with players accepting they are shifted out, and yet Madrid commanding massive money for their surplus to requirements players. Can't see Mourinho wanting Rodriquez, but I'd have serious questions and concerns if he was signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I read the agent quotes from Miktarian (sp) and if they are true then its very promising.

Its been reported that what he said is that the player wants to join us and that we want to sign him and that negotiations with BD are ongoing.

Fantastic news if they are actually true comments.

Would be an outstanding acquisition and we would get him for prolly less than £30m.

Exciting times.

On the flipside I read quotes from a Dortmund official saying the club will not be selling under any circumstances, and the player can leave next season on a free. We might be forced into some serious ££££.

I really struggle to name right sided players. I don't think it takes much to improve on our current options, but considering every club wil ltake us to the cleaners on price, is a massive fee worth it for this guy?

Lieing if I said I was overly familiar with him apart from the few Dortmund games I catch a season, so won't pass judgement based on that alone. But it could be a big money fee to force Dortmunds hand from the sound of things.

I really struggle to see why Mourinho wouldn't try Memphis on the right, his stronger foot, build a bit of confidence and see if he can do a job there. Martial its worth remembering, is also right footed.

While RW was definitely the weak area last season where what we saw wasn't great, doesn't mean they are not options that can play there. I'd hope to maybe see a Memphis + Martial combo on the wings before blowing our load on a new signing.

I think other areas need strengthening as a priority. Do we consider CB now sorted, having Smalling,Bailly,Blind,Rojo,Jones,Mensah ?

Striker is something yet to be sorted. Zlatan filling that requirement for a year, with Martial, Rashford and Rooney as options? Sounds good to me

That leaves potentially CM that needs some work. I'm happy with the selection of players in Hererra,Schneiderlan, Schweinsteiger, Blind,Fellaini and Carrick.

To re-iterate something I mentioned before, while obviously every big team needs new faces to keep things frsh and competitive, we shouldn't underestimate what a new coach/manager will get from a squad that flattered to deceive in most instances last season.

"Assuming" that our player performances go up under Mourinho, at present the only areas I see needing investment are a striker and a right sided player(accepting that likely Mourinho wouldn't experiment with Memphis there)

• Advertisement

Kroos is an excellent passer of the ball one of the best at moment but he won't get you plus 10 goals season from midfield. We would get away with that of we had a striker that will get over 30 but as of yet we don't.

Kroos, or Pogba, or Veratti, aren't players the club would be particularly looking for 10+goals from, imo. That wouldn't be their function - much as it wasnt the function of Scholes towards the end of his career. Their role would be to command the team from midfield and set the tempo. My guess would be (along with a striker signing) that Rooney would be the central midfielder (ugh) we should expect goals from. Were we to sign Pogba, I could see a CM trio of Schneiderlin, Pogba and Rooney being deployed, with the expectation for goals on Rooney more than Pogba (or Kroos, or Veratti, or Modric - for example).

On the Rodriguez comparisons... would he not generally play further forward than Pogba or any of the others would? I would have thought James as a number 10, for example, and Pogba as a far more traditional (positionally) central midfielder, so I would expect more goals from James. I would expect more passes (in total), interceptions, tackles from Pogba (or another player in that position)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Roy Keane on Fellaini

"I like him," the former Red Devils skipper said.

"I thought the criticism he had when he went to United was a bit over the top. The fans were maybe quick to jump on his back.

"I saw him a few times live when United weren’t great and thought he did okay. But he seemed to be the scapegoat for the fans, which can happen when a new manager (David Moyes) brings in certain players and the new signings get criticism.

"But we saw him recently scoring some important goals. I liked him at Everton and I think he’s a good player for Man Utd.

"If anything, the fans should have been criticising the experienced players at United who weren’t helping him out or who weren’t helping out the new manager. But that’s another story."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/roy-keane-defends-marouane-fellaini-8214531

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Roy Keane on Fellaini

Ahh good oul Roy Keane. Can see how great Fellaini is but couldn't see that Martin Olsson had a gazillion acres down the flank from fullback the whole game on Monday.

Kroos, or Pogba, or Veratti, aren't players the club would be particularly looking for 10+goals from, imo. That wouldn't be their function - much as it wasnt the function of Scholes towards the end of his career. Their role would be to command the team from midfield and set the tempo. My guess would be (along with a striker signing) that Rooney would be the central midfielder (ugh) we should expect goals from. Were we to sign Pogba, I could see a CM trio of Schneiderlin, Pogba and Rooney being deployed, with the expectation for goals on Rooney more than Pogba (or Kroos, or Veratti, or Modric - for example).

On the Rodriguez comparisons... would he not generally play further forward than Pogba or any of the others would? I would have thought James as a number 10, for example, and Pogba as a far more traditional (positionally) central midfielder, so I would expect more goals from James. I would expect more passes (in total), interceptions, tackles from Pogba (or another player in that position)

James plays more passes per game and there isn't much difference in tackles won and interceptions per game between them. They both play in midfield 3 but yes, James is #10 whereas Pogba is traditional CM.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    James plays more passes per game and there isn't much difference in tackles won and interceptions per game between them. They both play in midfield 3 but yes, James is #10 whereas Pogba is traditional CM.

I looked at the statss on who scored after and Pogba had twice the tackles, interceptions - and more passes too (48 vs 41 - would have thought it would be a bigger margin). Where are you seeing your info?

That's why I said it was an unfair comparison because they do play seperate places but my point been was we need goals from midfield unless we sign a genuine top class goal scorer like griezman or bale or benzema or the likes.

So a player like James would be more beneficial playing in front of a midfield two of rooney and schneiderlin.

I don't think rooney is going to be played high up midfield unless jose has different ideas then woy but I could see him playing him similar for us next season.

I looked at the statss on who scored after and Pogba had twice the tackles, interceptions - and more passes too (48 vs 41 - would have thought it would be a bigger margin). Where are you seeing your info?

Squwaka cmparison. (I always use per 90 min)

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#la_liga/2015/2016/james_rodríguez/176/176/5251/0/p|serie_a/2015/2016/paul_pogba/177/177/2710/0/p#total_passes/goals_scored/chances_created/tackles_won/interceptions/successful_take_ons#90

Ok this is totally not a fair comparison but as that vile bangkok lad said we need a midfielder that can score and create goals I also think we need someone reliable passing so here is James, Pogba and mata.

293hzrl.png

James has played near half the minutes of the other two.

La Liga v Seria A and Premier league is a very unfair comparison. Premier league is 100 mph and every game is tough, Seria A is very tactical.

James comes on in a lot of games when madrid are already winning 3 or 4 nil. He is playing with the likes of kroos and modric behind him who never give the ball away and a basic pass to Ronaldo or Benzema probably ends up as a goal so he gets credit for an assist.

Mata has had a poor midfield behing him and at different stages of the season had Rooney up front, Fellaini even ashley young!!

Nalz wrote: »
    Ahh good oul Roy Keane. Can see how great Fellaini is but couldn't see that Martin Olsson had a gazillion acres down the flank from fullback the whole game on Monday.

Ya Keane has final say on all Ireland subs :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement