Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Not just results for me, cause that can be hard for such a team. I want to see what type of football he tries to play, and see what his transfer dealings are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Personally I can't wait to get the euros over and done with to see Jose in an official capacity speaking and action on behalf of the club. The anticipation from his appointment to his regular dealing with the press is killing me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

ShooterSF wrote: »
    So for those of you who feel Giggs should head out and prove himself (a fair argument) what has he to do with Forrest(if it is true) in the next 3 years, assuming Mourinho puts in his usual stint, to be in line for the job?

Nothing he does with Forrest in the next three years would prove he is good enough to manage Man United, no more than Solskjaer having a good few years with Molde or Roy Keane having a few good years with Sunderland proved that they were.

To get the United job Giggs needs to do the exact same thing as everybody else, go out and prove he is one of the best managers in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

This is the point for me and jayo underlined it perfectly. There is really nothing he can do, even if people are saying he needs to go out and prove himself.

So then are we willing to make risky appointments again, if say the ship gets steadied, in the hope of creating a legacy or do we bring in one experienced manager after another to do their few years?

Realistically what we need for giggs is to get into management be it with forrest or whoever and use it as a stepping stone to get a bigger job in premiership someone like Southampton or stoke or Everton down the line if he can get a trophy there while playing good football I think he will have a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Giggs could do with getting Forrest promoted then take a better job like the Spurs job when Pochettino gets poached by Real Madrid at the end of next year. If he can somehow do that and win a trophy with Spurs then we'll talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I hate news reports that are based on betting odds. All a sharp drop indicates is someone put a load of money on it, not that the bookies actually have inside info...

I'd love to have the money to be able to throw away a couple of thousand across various bookmakers on just say, Paul Jewell to be Liverpool manager or Mick McCarthy to be Arsenal manager when such a role becomes vacant, just to witness the controversy it causes among the fans. I'd get some giggle out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Ounas is also following Madrid and Juve on Twitter. Also Lot of players randomly. So him following ManUtd looks like nothing story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I see Wayne Rooney is ready to sign a new Manchester United deal

Can we not do this please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Polo_Mint wrote: »

Unless he is taking a massive pay cut

Taken a bit out of context he was asked about his new position in the team and he said he was happy and looking forward to the new season he also said he wants to finish his career with United and that he has 3 years left on his contract which he would be happy to extend but that's the clubs choice.

He is giving generic answers to the same old questions what else is he ment time say lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I hate news reports that are based on betting odds. All a sharp drop indicates is someone put a load of money on it, not that the bookies actually have inside info...

Yet we had a good little half-full page on a guy because he followed United and some players on Twitter :D

So for those of you who feel Giggs should head out and prove himself (a fair argument) what has he to do with Forrest(if it is true) in the next 3 years, assuming Mourinho puts in his usual stint, to be in line for the job?

I don't think Giggs can be do anything, bar a miracle at Forest, to have him in line for the United job. Forest are a mess of a club, and I'd be surprised if Giggs lasts a full season there, if he goes.

Giggs just needs to go off, manage and then the club can view him from afar and see how he gets in. Does he do ok, is he a disaster etc. I don't think he goes to Forrest for three years(1% chance of completing three years) but he will probably need to move from Forest to somewhere else, and after that second stint can look at the United job seriously.

Depends where he goes, what standard of player he manages, what he achieves etc.

I don't think in my heart of hearts, I can ever map out a path for Giggs that makes me comfortable with him managing United. And I've a sneaky feeling he might get "found out" when he goes to manage by himself.

If I was a Forest fan I'd be massively underwhelmed and annoyed if Giggs arrived. Championship one of the toughest leagues in Europe, could eat him up quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

TheDoc wrote: »
    Yet we had a good little half-full page on a guy because he followed United and some players on Twitter :D

Tbh twitter and Instagram likes & follows are more reliable than most Journalists these days

He's smarter then people give him credit for. Fully expect him to play the club a third time and come up trumps.

Replaced in the first team by an 18 year old, and likely his position gone after summer by a world class striker.

Shoe horned into midfield, where I think he will get a few weeks but I can't see Mourinho sticking with him, and potentially ruining things just to keep Rooney happy.

Rooney probably knows this as well, him talking alot about midfield doesn't make him a midfielder. Very few players actually change positions successfully at 30+. I honestly don't think Rooney can do it, and maintain the level we need of a CM.

So likely talking his love for the club up, to try secure an extension. I'd also image the clubs interested in him, are all a step down, or a massive step down for United. I don't think he will get any massive fan support if I'm honest, so will need to play it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Terry Butcher has just said on SSN that Rooney has been tremendous in midfield

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

My scouts on football manager love him tho said he could become an important member of the first team squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

i would agree with him. against wales he was very good, moved the ball well and got into great positions to receive a pass.

Alot of people have said he is decent in midfield and has done very well.

I think he has done a very good job since April for us and England but I'm on the fence about it long term but I am confident jose won't play him for the sake of playing him if he adapts quickly and does well he would be a great asset with his experience and seemingly dressing room leadership qualities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote:
    My scouts on football manager love him tho said he could become an important member of the first team squad.

Sign him up
    FM is always right

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    Sign him up
    FM is always right

Yep I did I'll report back after a few months :) seems like astradave was correct he is predominantly a right sided player.

would like to see Giggs do well where ever he goes. Need a huge amount of luck in management, just thinking about Pep Guardiola at Barca, most managers in world football would have won the league and champions league with them they were that good, then off to Bayern where again the league was almost guaranteed.
    Or look at Frank Rijkaard, first job was Holland national team, then he goes and manages Sparta Rotherdam, gets them relegated, gets fired and next thing he is Barcelona manager, wins the champions league and 2 la ligas, world manager of the year twice and after he leaves Barca then does nothing.

currently working in a private college in florida as an advisor on player development!!!

bangkok wrote: »
    would like to see Giggs do well where ever he goes. Need a huge amount of luck in management, just thinking about Pep Guardiola at Barca, most managers in world football would have won the league and champions league with them they were that good, then off to Bayern where again the league was almost guaranteed.
    Or look at Frank Rijkaard, first job was Holland national team, then he goes and manages Sparta Rotherdam, gets them relegated, gets fired and next thing he is Barcelona manager, wins the champions league and 2 la ligas, world manager of the year twice and after he leaves Barca then does nothing.

currently working in a private college in florida as an advisor on player development!!!

So in a nutshell your saying even you could manage Barca......

jayo26 wrote: »
    Yep I did I'll report back after a few months :) seems like astradave was correct he is predominantly a right sided player.

Of course I was right ;)

So in a nutshell your saying even you could manage Barca......

im not a manager in world football..... but yes, yes i could :)

astradave wrote: »
    Of course I was right ;)

At least I can admit it and give credit haha.

you got to football manager before me ha.

im not a manager in world football.....

Thank fuk :)

Thank fuk :)

if Paul Gasgoigne was able to get a job managing a football team, there is hope for all of us!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

if Paul Gasgoigne was able to get a job managing a football team, there is hope for all of us!!

Gazza had a terrible drink problem but was a footballing icon, knew the game inside out and was insanely talented.

Things in your favour - as far as we know you dont have a drink problem and have very limited footballing knowledge. Oh and you hate fellaini ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Saw De Bruyne getting interviewed earlier and talking about how he welcomes Zlatan to the league even though he is going to be playing for United, he will be good for the league etc.

Did I miss him signing or something? SSN were going on about him just being a medical away alright but been so busy the last few days I guess I could have missed massive news like that

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Pogba in talks with Real Madrid.... Nailed on to go there now

Saw De Bruyne getting interviewed earlier and talking about how he welcomes Zlatan to the league even though he is going to be playing for United, he will be good for the league etc.

Did I miss him signing or something? SSN were going on about him just being a medical away alright but been so busy the last few days I guess I could have missed massive news like that

Nothing apart from his agent saying he would make his mind up after the Euro's.. might be better known within the player circles though

Pogba in talks with Ream Madrid.... Nailed on to go there now

I'm avoiding most of the transfer gossip this summer for once, but did catch a report that indicated Mourinho is so hard for Pogba, that he told Woodward and his team to forget Pjanic.

There appeared be to some real confidence in getting Pogba.

Upshot, if Pogba goes there, Kovacic or Kroos possibly available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Dortmund are inquiring about Schurrle as a replacement for Micky Ryan.This has the smell of a done deal off it.

I'm avoiding most of the transfer gossip this summer for once, but did catch a report that indicated Mourinho is so hard for Pogba, that he told Woodward and his team to forget Pjanic.

Pogba also said he wanted to join madrid as it would be the best possible place for him to win a ballon dor.

dont think Kross or Kovacic are the players we need right now, our team needs goals added to it, we already have plently of players who can play midfield but not a lot of goalscoring midfielders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I honestly would prefer Kroos, call me crazy, but just watching him at the Euros he's been very good, Every pass is forward. Fantastic Delivery.

I think Morgan if we took the reigns off could do a similar box to box role that Pogba could do, i dunno maybe I'm crazy!

I just think we need a Paul Scholes that can dictate the tempo of the game, something we don't have at the moment! Speed it up, slow it down! etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mundo Deportivo claiming United have sent Pini Zihavi to Brazil to try and secure a deal for Neymar.......This will run for a while and he will sign a new contract at Barca.

Arsenals new signing Xhaka looks a class player and exactly the type of player they have been missing for years

Pogba also said he wanted to join madrid as it would be the best possible place for him to win a ballon dor.

dont think Kross or Kovacic are the players we need right now, our team needs goals added to it, we already have plently of players who can play midfield but not a lot of goalscoring midfielders.

I hate when I'm in agreement with you but your dead right. I'll take James Rodriguez off them thank you. Kroos would improve our midfield but an attacking midfielder that will score more then 10 goals and creat alot more would improve it a hell of alot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

I honestly would prefer Kroos, call me crazy, but just watching him at the Euros he's been very good, Every pass is forward. Fantastic Delivery.

I think Morgan if we took the reigns off could do a similar box to box role that Pogba could do, i dunno maybe I'm crazy!

You're crazy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

So Embolo rejected 2nd offer from Leipzig, their sporting director confirmed they are no longer interested in the player. Reliable journos saying he will sign for ManUtd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

If we sign all these young attacking players it really goes against the idea that Jose don't trust young players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Herrera if played will get 10 plus goals in a season

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Herrera if played will get 10 plus goals in a season

What makes you think that? Ander herrea has played in 7 professional seasons he has played nearly 300 games and scored 30 goals I like him as a player I do but no point in putting him up on a pedestal that he shouldn't be on.

Ander will be a hard working midfielder that I can see jose loving but he won't be a number 10 and he won't be scoring lots of goals.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    If we sign all these young attacking players it really goes against the idea that Jose don't trust young players

we wont, Zlatan will probably be announced next week, he is 34, then maybe 1 of the young players we are linked to we will sign.

mkhitarya is 27 and looking like that move could be on the cards as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Let's stick with calling him Mickey Ryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

bangkok wrote:
    we wont, Zlatan will probably be announced next week, he is 34, then maybe 1 of the young players we are linked to we will sign.

We've signed Bailly who's 22
    Hardly long in the tooth when it comes to experience

You need a blend of youth and experience to achieve short and long-term goals

Does no one think Jose is planning for beyond 5 years I.e. signing bailly,embolism,ounas etc whilst also bringing in zkatan and Micky Ryan who can assist us right away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

brinty wrote: »
    We've signed Bailly who's 22
    Hardly long in the tooth when it comes to experience

You need a blend of youth and experience to achieve short and long-term goals

Does no one think Jose is planning for beyond 5 years I.e. signing bailly,embolism,ounas etc whilst also bringing in zkatan and Micky Ryan who can assist us right away

I don't personally believe that Jose only plans on being at a club for 3 years - I think had things not gone to sh1t he'd have stayed at chelsea or Madrid for a long time and tried to build a dynasty. He will try to do it at United to - whether he lasts 5 years or more is anyones guess. Will depend on what success he brings to the club.

If Jose is gone in 3 years, it will be because he failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I wonder if we could line up like this next season:
    Leaving Rooney out for now.

De Gea
    Darmian--Smalling--Bailly--Shaw
    ----Herrera--Schneiderlin---
    Mkhitaryan--Rashford--Martial
    Ibrahimovic

According to Kicker, Draxler has told Wolfsburg he wants to leave as he thinks he made a mistake going there, us and Arsenal interested..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement