Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

This would be my ideal set-up for next season, and I think each of these new players are attainable.

7f69ec8ced.jpg

FWD: I think Rashford will interchange with Ibrahimovic. Would rather we start Rashford, but not too bothered. Mahrez or Griezmann to fill up the other wide role, but I think Mahrez would come quicker.

MD: I want Payet more than anyone else in this window. I'd pay whatever for him. Best playmaker in the world. Kante would sure things up at the back giving Rooney a more free role.

DF: I'd be up for Bailly to start beside Smalling but I haven't seen much of him play at all so I'm unsure. Manolas would be a good choice but I just want more experience in there. RB is questionable.

GK: Speaks for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

This would be my ideal set-up for next season, and I think each of these new players are attainable.

7f69ec8ced.jpg

FWD: I think Rashford will interchange with Ibrahimovic. Would rather we start Rashford, but not too bothered. Mahrez or Griezmann to fill up the other wide role, but I think Mahrez would come quicker.

MD: I want Payet more than anyone else in this window. I'd pay whatever for him. Best playmaker in the world. Kante would sure things up at the back giving Rooney a more free role.

DF: I'd be up for Bailly to start beside Smalling but I haven't seen much of him play at all so I'm unsure. Manolas would be a good choice but I just want more experience in there. RB is questionable.

I was on board with this daftness until I got to Blind playing right back, jaysus tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

astradave wrote: »
    According to Kicker, Draxler has told Wolfsburg he wants to leave as he thinks he made a mistake going there, us and Arsenal interested..

At this stage we're going to have to start using 3 didgit shirt numbers next season, I think Neymar 111 has a nice ring to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Only five signings to go...
    And no Micky Ryan

Lukekul wrote: »
    I was on board with this daftness until I got to Blind playing right back, jaysus tonight
    :p

Relax ya miserable yolk. I said RB was up in the air. Pick yours so I claim how shite it is.

Relax ya miserable yolk. I said RB was up in the air. Pick yours so I claim how ****e it is.

Darmian obviously
    Azpilicueta
    Fosu monster
    Varela

Relax ya miserable yolk. I said RB was up in the air. Pick yours so I claim how shite it is.

Ya lost me after I seen the red goal keeper jersey. Some attention to detail wouldn't go a stray.

5767fb344c09a.jpg

brinty wrote: »
    Darmian obviously
    Azpilicueta
    Fosu monster
    Varela

Go on the brinty four right backs in defence that's the job :) can't wait to see your midfield :)

• Advertisement

Darmian obviously
    Azpilicueta
    Fosu monster
    Varela
    I sort of just threw it in there tbh. Scrap that, I'd definitely take Fosu-Mensah to start instead. Not all that high on Darmian. Maybe if rediscovers the confidence of his early season form last season then I'd be happy to see him start there, but he offers little going forward, and his decision making is suspect.

@Lukekul - I think we could get overran in midfield in certain games playing that formation. Think Mkhitaryan is better as a #10 too. I'd be very open to bringing him here, but I just love Payet. I think he'd win us the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

7f69ec8ced.jpg

30m on a new centre back and he doesnt even make your team?! :eek:

5767fb344c09a.jpg

Memphis on the team over Rooney? Are we all gone crackers today

bangkok wrote:

Should you not be rejoicing at no one picking Fellaini

bangkok wrote: »
    30m on a new centre back and he doesnt even make your team?! :eek:
    Not opposed to him starting, just I believe he's one for the future? As I said, I haven't seen much of Bailly play at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I dont think Mkhitaryan will be let go from BVB

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Are we playing Rooney at LW now? Is this the newest way to cram him into the team?

Not opposed to him starting, just I believe he's one for the future? As I said, I haven't seen much of Bailly play at all.

And what age is manalos???
    25 same as Mike Smalling I believe

Would cost as much Bailly and we need to sign in other positions

It's not going to happen unless we've about 400 million to spend

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Are we playing Rooney at LW now? Is this the newest way to cram him into the team?

Part of midfield 3 with Martial playing as LW, I think that's how we line up this season.

Jose will not play Rooney in midfield next season :cool:

no but we are in no way playing Memphis or 4-4-2

• Advertisement

i would imagine it being more along the lines of this...

576804c81c3ef.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Jose will not be Rooney in midfield next season :cool:

No he will be the manager on the sideline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

no but we are in no way playing Memphis or 4-4-2

What part of "my ideal set-up" do you not understand.. People have different opinions than you. While you would cram Rooney into YOUR IDEAL SETUP, most people wouldn't even have a spot for him.

EDIT: In midfield I see..

Man I don't care if he is past it, I still can't believe Bastian fkn Schweinsteiger plays for Man Utd

astradave wrote: »
    What part of "my ideal set-up" do you not understand.. People have different opinions than you. While you would cram Rooney into YOUR IDEAL SETUP, most people wouldn't even have a spot for him.

EDIT: In midfield I see..

its was a bit of a silly set up in fairness... Blind right back, no place for our new 30m signing....

in that case, here is my "Ideal set-up" :)

57680741950c9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

its was a bit of a silly set up in fairness... Blind right back, no place for our new 30m signing....

57680741950c9.jpg

That's more like it

That line up makes me miss ShadowComplex and his dream lineups

I also like how you kept Bailly in the team when you could choose anyone :pac:

57680741950c9.jpg

No Rooney, no Party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

No Rooney, no Party.

No Bale ?

Jose will not play Rooney in midfield next season :cool:

Sadly, he absolutely will. Rooney isn't good enough to lead the line (Martial and Rashford were more effective last season, and Ibrahimovic will be first choice ahead of him), but cause of his wage and "status", I think (unless he's sold) there'll have to be a place somewhere for Rooney. So midfield, pining round ineffective Hollywood passes, will be his place :/

All we can hope is that we have a right winger clever enough to make use of those slobbery hollywood passes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

He already said he's barely seen him play. What sort of eejit would include a player in their 'ideal lineup' that they've barely seen play?

He already said he's barely seen him play. What sort of eejit would include a player in their 'ideal lineup' that they've barely seen play?

a survey of 100 united fans were asked, "who would their ideal right back be"

1 person came back with Blind ;)

bangkok wrote:
    a survey of 100 united fans were asked, "who would their ideal right back be"

1 person came back with Blind

A survey of all united boards posters were asked "would you like to hear Bangkok to STFU about Fellaini"

The result was unanimous

Now zip it

Blind linked with a move to Arsenal, would hate if we sold him as he is a good player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Meh I wouldn't be overly fussed to see him go, especially if someone better came in.

Nice squad player to have but not a first choice for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackwigan

A survey of all united boards posters were asked "would you like to hear Bangkok to STFU about Fellaini"

The result was unanimous

Now zip it
    Should you not be rejoicing at no one picking Fellaini

The ironing is delicious

jackwigan wrote: »
    The ironing is delicious

I always hate doing the ironing well fair play dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭irishchris

No rooney in starting lineup tonight. At least one manager willing to finally drop "the untouchable one"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

irishchris wrote: »
    No rooney in starting lineup tonight. At least one manager willing to finally drop "the untouchable one"

Rested, not dropped.

• Advertisement

As much as bangkoks fellaini hating is annoying the constant rooney bashing is actually worse.

Rooney is far from Uniteds biggest problem and with a bit of proper guidance and renewed energy to work with a world class manager he could become a proper solution.

Stupid comments at first chance about him are ridiculous at least think up of a decent new argument instead of the same old stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

No Rooney, no FA Cup win this season.

Slaven billic praising Mike Smalling up to the last said he one of the best in England it's great to hear hopefully he continues it next season.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Rooney is far from Uniteds biggest problem and with a bit of proper guidance and renewed energy to work with a world class manager he could become a proper solution.

Stupid comments at first chance about him are ridiculous at least think up of a decent new argument instead of the same old stuff.

My personal frustration would be that we get this same "He could be rejuvenated" argument every single summer. First it was "Moyes knows him, Rooney as the main man will do well". Then "LVG is bringing in top class players to play round him, he'll do well". Then "Build the team with Rooney as our #1 striker, he'll do well".

Every summer, there's mental gymnastics to write off his previous season as an abnormality, and a search for a reason to believe next season will be different. You know what the definition of insanity is? Doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result. At some stage, rather than continually trying to shove Rooney into the team, we need to realise that there's better options available than him. Trying to shove him into a makeshift midfield role will only make us weaker in midfield than we should be.

He's not our biggest problem, but I'd put him in the top 3, and we look to be solving #1 and #2 (namely, a lack of a top level striker and a creative right winger). At some stage, and some stage soon, he will be the biggest problem the squad faces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Every summer, there's mental gymnastics to write off his previous season as an abnormality

It doesn't take mental gymnastics to recognise that we have just had two very bad managers and 3 seasons in which all of our attacking play was poor, its demonstrable fact and cannot be ignored when judging Rooney.

I do agree that he shouldn't be a guaranteed starter and that we shouldn't leave ourselves relying upon him, but on the other hand, he is our record goalscorer and he is worth another season in the team to see what he can contribute. The only way he makes us worse is if he has to start every game regardless of form and I don't think that will happen.

Rooney, Martial, Rashford plus one other new signing, I don't see how Rooney being one of those four is a bad thing.

Of course that is all assuming we are talking about strikers, I have already stated my opinion on how stupid it would be for us to consider Rooney a midfield option.

My personal frustration would be that we get this same "He could be rejuvenated" argument every single summer. First it was "Moyes knows him, Rooney as the main man will do well". Then "LVG is bringing in top class players to play round him, he'll do well". Then "Build the team with Rooney as our #1 striker, he'll do well".

Every summer, there's mental gymnastics to write off his previous season as an abnormality, and a search for a reason to believe next season will be different. You know what the definition of insanity is? Doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result. At some stage, rather than continually trying to shove Rooney into the team, we need to realise that there's better options available than him. Trying to shove him into a makeshift midfield role will only make us weaker in midfield than we should be.

He's not our biggest problem, but I'd put him in the top 3, and we look to be solving #1 and #2 (namely, a lack of a top level striker and a creative right winger). At some stage, and some stage soon, he will be the biggest problem the squad faces.

First off don't think I'm saying rooney is grand and all I'm not but I will accept that over the past 2 months rooney has done very well for United and England in a deeper role yes he may not of been playing against strong opossition but he didn't just stand there spraying Hollywood balls as some people say he helped win us a trophie.

In regards for the past 3 years Yeh majority of fans have been saying maybe this year he will be rejuvenated but we have been saying that about the majority of the team the fact is the club has gone threw 3 turbulent years manager wise and now again we are saying thing will change for the club as a whole under jose and its not just rooney that needs to improve.

I have confidence in jose that he won't play rooney for sake for it this i think we all should be able say that if not well the club is well and truly fuked because we need a manager that will call shots and not be afraid or under pressure but he has already shown he is the boss by not giving giggs his old job again't.

This season will be rooney last chance I'm confident of that he is no longer an option up front for club and country he will probably be tried in a deeper role by jose and if he succeed brilliant if he dont then he won't be played jose won't accommodate him he showed that in the past with previous clubs.

• Advertisement

Rooney, Martial, Rashford plus one other new signing, I don't see how Rooney being one of those four is a bad thing.

Fair enough on the rest of your post, but the issue I guess is that if Jose sticks with his usual 1 striker philsophy, do you think Ibra is signing to play the bench? Imo, Rashford was far more effective (in a bad system too, so double points) than Rooney up front, so I'd have him in front of Rooney. I'll leave Martial off, cause I feel he's probably destined for the LW position.

So, will Rooney want to be 3rd choice striker? Or even second? Will he put up with that? Probably not. I believe thats why he's been pushing for the midfield role; he knows he isn't good enough any more (compared to what we have and whats incoming) to play striker, so is trying to shove himself into a weaker position of the field. And because "He's a legend", people will try to justify the midfield position rather than admitting he's not good enough to be much more than a back up/bench player any more :/

Fair enough on the rest of your post, but the issue I guess is that if Jose sticks with his usual 1 striker philsophy, do you think Ibra is signing to play the bench? Imo, Rashford was far more effective (in a bad system too, so double points) than Rooney up front, so I'd have him in front of Rooney. I'll leave Martial off, cause I feel he's probably destined for the LW position.

So, will Rooney want to be 3rd choice striker? Or even second? Will he put up with that? Probably not. I believe thats why he's been pushing for the midfield role; he knows he isn't good enough any more (compared to what we have and whats incoming) to play striker, so is trying to shove himself into a weaker position of the field. And because "He's a legend", people will try to justify the midfield position rather than admitting he's not good enough to be much more than a back up/bench player any more :/

Rooney just doesn't have the pace to play up front anymore, he is still a great player. That is my worry with ibrahimovic, he doesn't have the pace to play up front on his own either so we won't be stretching any defences with him up top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭irishchris

Rested, not dropped.

Sorry will put it this way but same result.

No rooney in starting lineup tonight. At least one manager willing to finally REST/drop "the untouchable one"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't see Jose playing Rashford as the lone striker at all to be honest, if he plays it will be on the right or as an impact sub. Even if Jose puts faith in Rashford he is still just a kid and I think Jose will treat him as such, it will be rotation for Rashford and I'm happy enough with that.

So in the main it will be Zlatan (if he comes) and Rooney rotating as the main striker and whoever performs the best will get the spot for the big games. Zlatan will need rested, Rooney will probably play a few games in a deeper role and Martial/Rashford will play up top a few times. Add in another winger and they aren't bad options to have, and Rooney has a part to play in it.

Sorry will put it this way but same result.

No rooney in starting lineup tonight. At least one manager willing to finally REST/drop "the untouchable one"

He has been rested plenty of times. England's best player v Wales and will be back in team next game along with Kyle walker, rose and alli

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement