Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

This is an odd send off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

LVG OUT. LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.LVG OUT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Means to an end lads.

Means to an end.

Surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

adox wrote: »
    We are so far away from challenging at the moment, it's scary. One way of continuing that is to keep Van Gaal in charge.

Im not saying that we are anything like Fergies teams at the moment. We are poor by United standards. Undoubtedly yes.

But look at the state of the other teams in the Prem at the moment. They arent that great either.

A Bayern Munich or Barcelona would tear us a new one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

De Gea - World class but could easily leave in the summer (and I wouldn't blame him)
    Blind - Not good enough at CB
    Rojo - Not good enough (And we swapped Nani AND money for him)
    Smalling - Keep
    Valencia - Squad at the very best
    Herrera - Has been awful. Likeable, but awful
    Mata - Love him but not doing it often enough
    Rooney - 请到中国
    Schneiderlin - The posterboy of regression
    Rashford - Good player but we should not be relying on him.
    Martial - World Class, build a team around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Rashford was very good tonight I think he could be the real deal.

Valencia, Rojo and Blind need to be replaced.

Smalling fouls every time from a set piece i don't know how he gets away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

It's what they have been told to do tactially. What they practice in training. Look at the set pieces for example shambolic. That should be organised on the training pitch. It clearly isn't.

No wonder that De Gea is our best player every game because Van Gaals tactics can't fcuk him up positionally or otherwise!

These guys are professionals and know what they should and shouldn't do. All of them were giving up set pieces like it was Christmas and West Ham profited from it. That isn't down to tactics, that was down to stupidity.

Even when we went 3-2 down did we muster any attempts? I can't remember any. Any team on this planet would have known to throw the kitchen sink, yet it didn't happen and that is down to having players like Rooney who will never lace the boots of previous leaders like Keane, Neville, Bruce, Robson...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

This is an odd send off.

Did Highbury get a send off like this? I cant remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

This game was our last chance and we ****ed it up.

It's over now.

Can't see Swansea taking 3 points from City. Just not happening.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    De Gea - World class but could easily leave in the summer (and I wouldn't blame him)
    Smalling - Keep
    Rooney - 请到中国

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Gutless sometimes you need a thug when your getting walked through, Fellaini was a massive loss tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Rashford was very good tonight I think he could be the real deal.

Valencia, Rojo and Blind need to be replaced.

Smalling fouls every time from a set piece i don't know how he gets away with it

Rashford offered nothing i thought

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Blessing in disguise. This squad would get destroyed in the Champions league. Gonna miss out on a lot of money now but the Chiefs need to take the squad apart and get 4-5 new first team players in.

ParkRunner wrote: »
    Blessing in disguise. This squad would get destroyed in the Champions league. Gonna miss out on a lot of money now but the Chiefs need to take the squad apart and get 4-5 new first team players in.

Doesn't it mean we lose Adidas money now too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Think that comes into effect if we don't qualify again next season but open to correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It's what they have been told to do tactially. What they practice in training. Look at the set pieces for example shambolic. That should be organised on the training pitch. It clearly isn't.

Which is why its such a fools errand to keep blaming the players every week.

For two years they have clearly been subject to some godawful training, for two years they have been drilled certain ways and and been ordered to play certain ways and to do certain things, so it can't be any shock at all that after two years thats all they know. It might well be a big game but they aren't robots, they can't throw off two years of training and then out of nowhere find their own style of play and make it work immediately.

Uniteds biggest problem for a long time has been on the training field, it where every crap performance was born. And never mind that sham Van Gaal, its also the reason United coach Ryan Giggs should be turfed out too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Only got to follow the game on Livescore, that was traumatic enough :pac:

When the chips are down this team doesn't have the heart. The FA Cup is going to be a tough watch too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

This game didn't cost us 4th, losing three games in a row to Stoke, Bournemouth and fúcking Norwich did. LVG should have gone in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

I've found some happiness in this season, that this manager and players have some how found a way to take the season to the last game. Cast yourself back to November/December???

LvG and a lot of those players need shipping out asap though fcukin hell same oul sh!te from them. Some serious worries here where this club is heading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

deadybai wrote: »
    Im not saying that we are anything like Fergies teams at the moment. We are poor by United standards. Undoubtedly yes.

But look at the state of the other teams in the Prem at the moment. They arent that great either.

A Bayern Munich or Barcelona would tear us a new one.

And the state of other teams means we should give him more time? Seriously every other club bar Arsenal is reacting to there pathetic seasons, we either change or slide further into mediocrity.

And I say this as someone as recently as February was happy to give him time but **** we have been dire!

ShaneU wrote: »
    This game didn't cost us 4th, losing three games in a row to Stoke, Bournemouth and fúcking Norwich did. LVG should have gone in January.

Woodward not having the spine to do what was necessary after those defeats helped too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

edgecutter wrote: »
    These guys are professionals and know what they should and shouldn't do. All of them were giving up set pieces like it was Christmas and West Ham profited from it. That isn't down to tactics, that was down to stupidity.

Even when we went 3-2 down did we muster any attempts? I can't remember any. Any team on this planet would have known to throw the kitchen sink, yet it didn't happen and that is down to having players like Rooney who will never lace the boots of previous leaders like Keane, Neville, Bruce, Robson...

Ok look we have won league titles with far worse players.

A manager is meant to organise a team. A manager is meant to motivate a team. That's what Van Gaal gets his fat paycheck for, not to laugh and enjoy himself with the media while our team plays sh1t for 2 years under his tenure.

Players can only do so much when they aren't managed properly. See Jesse Lingards video on the bus? Thats the players attitude under this manager. They are being miss-managed. Would that happen under fergie or any manager who gives a fcuk about the club? Damn right it wouldn't.

ShaneU wrote: »

So true. I probably have mentioned it over 10 times now but had we taken at least 6 points from those 3 games we would be in a much better position come May and look at us now.

Very sad times :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

We got exactly what we deserved from that game. Zip.

Hopefully the board will take notice. Van Gaal is simply out of his depth.

Ok look we have won league titles with far worse players.

A manager is meant to organise a team. A manager is meant to motivate a team. That's what Van Gaal gets his fat paycheck for, not to laugh and enjoy himself with the media while our team plays sh1t for 2 years under his tenure.

Players can only do so much when they aren't managed properly. See Jesse Lingards video on the bus? Thats the players attitude under this manager. They are being miss-managed. Would that happen under fergie or any manager who gives a fcuk about the club? Damn right it wouldn't.

I agree with a lot pf what you said, but not placing blame on the players is giving them get out of jail free card. They show have had sense on the pitch to know giving away free kicks to Payet was just plain stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Glad I turned it off, we won't hold on to Martial and De Gea very long unless this is sorted, and soon.

**** the manager, blame him for so much obviously, but those players are not fit to wear the jersey a lot of them. You don't need a manager to motivate you for certain games, if its a case of the manager tactical instruction not working, ****ing change it on the field, you know how to play football, been doing it a long time! He can't ****ing sub everyone if he does choose to be a Hitler about it.

I didn't watch beyond 15 minutes, so I'm not gonna get in to that game in particular but the lack of fight in the team, the lack of hunger is something that the players can not be absolved from. Van Gaal has failed, but he is not alone.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

You would have to say Woodward now must go along with LVG - he has overseen the clubs transition into mediocrity... It's fine to sign sponsorship deals with noodle companies in Asia but we are an absolute mess, just wait and see the companies get uneasy as we slip further into decline.

... It's Matt Busby's departure from the club all over again, it's fools who don't learn from the past!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Glad I turned it off, we won't hold on to Martial and De Gea very long unless this is sorted, and soon.

**** the manager, blame him for so much obviously, but those players are not fit to wear the jersey a lot of them. You don't need a manager to motivate you for certain games, if its a case of the manager tactical instruction not working, ****ing change it on the field, you know how to play football, been doing it a long time! He can't ****ing sub everyone if he does choose to be a Hitler about it.

I didn't watch beyond 15 minutes, so I'm not gonna get in to that game in particular but the lack of fight in the team, the lack of hunger is something that the players can not be absolved from. Van Gaal has failed, but he is not alone.

Agreed. When we went 3 -2 down not one stood up to be counted. Should have gone balls and all for an equaliser but we weren't arsed. Says it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

This season has marked the first times I have actively turned United off due to getting too wound up watching them.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I think utd are very lucky to be where they are in the league. How are they still 5th is beyond me.
    They can't possibly keep him for another year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I'm dreading having to watch this awful team two more times this season. We've so many average players. Fellaini was missed today and he has been by far our best midfielder this year. Herrera, Schneiderlin, Carrick and Bastain have all been so average this year.

Outside of Martial, Shaw, Smalling and De Gea we have a lot of rebuilding to do, again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Time to move out Rooney while he's still worth a few quid.

Valencia should have went with Moyes.

Lingard is another Kieran Richardson.

Januzaj is finished at UTD.

Schweinstieger is looong past it.

Blind is not UTD first 11 quality.

It's incredibly simple. Hire a director of football and allow Woodward to focus on commercial endeavors. Bring in Mourinho. Invest smartly in players and act quickly.

There is no point in bringing in a Bale or a Neymar Jr. when the rest of the team is so poor. If we take out De Gea, Shaw, Smalling and Martial, how many current United players would get into the starting eleven at Tottenham, Leicester, Arsenal or City. I would say, honestly, not one in any of those teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

This season has marked the first times I have actively turned United off due to getting too wound up watching them.

Death by 1000 cuts, hell it's not even that it's death by a heavy bludgeoning.

Are the Utd fans having to stay in the away section for this garbage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

duffman13 wrote: »
    And the state of other teams means we should give him more time? Seriously every other club bar Arsenal is reacting to there pathetic seasons, we either change or slide further into mediocrity.

And I say this as someone as recently as February was happy to give him time but **** we have been dire!

Bringing in a new manager will be far worse for next season.

What Im saying is that we have changed the squad so much and filled it with , lets be honest a, at best mid-table team of individuals. Van Gaal has done that.

Imagine now bringing in a new manager who has a mid-table side in his hands? We would have to be very lucky to have any success next season. What happens then? The manager is sacked and we become like Liverpool have in recent years.

Id give Van Gaal one more year and then see where were at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

irishfeen wrote:
    ... It's Matt Busby's departure from the club all over again, it's fools who don't learn from the past!

Feen you're back
    Fcukin well said boy
    I've said it for years we'd see busby all over again with moyes appointment and three years on history has repeated itself
    Bye bye lvg ... back to commercial work Woodward.. get proper football people in and run the football side of the club properly
    I said three summers ago Jose was the guy who had it to take over from Fergie and succeed and now he might be the only guy to help drag the team from mediocrity
    Someone said it earlier today Chelsea signed none of the players he wanted and look what happened,with us he might get who he wants and we coukd succeed

What Im saying is that we have changed the squad so much and filled it with , lets be honest a, at best mid-table team of individuals. Van Gaal has done that.

Imagine now bringing in a new manager who has a mid-table side in his hands? We would have to be very lucky to have any success next season. What happens then? The manager is sacked and we become like Liverpool have in recent years.

I'm off to bed. My brain is simply too tired to retort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I have just seen the Lingard "footage" now. That rush to be relevant on social media sickens me.

Roy Keane would be seething

No player brought in in the summer will improve this side unless LVG is out of the door. Simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Death by 1000 cuts, hell it's not even that it's death by a heavy bludgeoning.

Are the Utd fans having to stay in the away section for this garbage?

As a WHU fan...I apologise if they are...this is god awful stuff. They should have cncelled this crap after the result...that should have been the celebration ending.

• Advertisement

glued wrote: »
    I'm dreading having to watch this awful team two more times this season. We've so many average players. Fellaini was missed today and he has been by far our best midfielder this year. Herrera, Schneiderlin, Carrick and Bastain have all been so average this year.

Outside of Martial, Shaw, Smalling and De Gea we have a lot of rebuilding to do, again.

Fully agree on Fellaini being the best midfielder currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'm just not buying this. I don't believe a word of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

We will just be where we are now, except another year wasted and about to lose the Addidas money.

Anybody who thinks another season under Van Gaal would be any different needs to go and look up the definition of insanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

There's lots of articles saying that players have to take a 25% pay cut too.

Spare a thought for Rooney who will have to get by on only about £200,000 a week next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I know people mention the 3 losses but IMO it was the 2 draws to Newcastle,

Agreed we needed fellaini tonight, would have been a solid defender for those set pieces and if need be, thrown a few heavy tackles/hits if needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

We don't really deserve a CL spot if we're being honest but then again, neither do City.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Look at what happened to Leicester. This time last year they were scrapping for their premier league lives under a bad manager. A decent manager is then appointed, they sign Kante, Okasaki and Huth for less than €25m. They get Fuchs on a free transfer.No one could have predicted those signings along with Vardy, Drinkwater, Albrighton and Mahrez would gel together so quickly. The rest is an incredible fairytale which will most likely never happen again.

Our players have been poisoned by LVG and his bullsh1t system. People complain that the team has no leadership on the field but that leadership starts with the manager. Our manager has been found out to be unable to inspire his players.

Look at the effect Klopp has had on Liverpool compared to Rodgers
    The effect Ranieri had on Leicester compared to Pearson
    Same story with Simeone and Atl Madrid.

The effect a charismatic, driven manager can have on motivating his players simply cannot be overstated - Couple that with €€€€ and you have a recipe that is fairly likely to succeed.

Give Mourinho what he has wanted all these years. Give him the chance to replicate a little bit of what Fergie has done at Utd. If he won us even one more league title during a 3 year stay along with good representation in the Champions league he would be a massive success.

Whatever happens, the current regime at the club has failed and massive changes need to take place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

No. We need to not qualify for the Champions League for two consecutive seasons for the Addidas deal to be effected.

Jesus f**cking christ. What, why, how...so many f**cking questions, but not in the mood to have this debate again. It would be ridiculously stupid to give LVG another year based on what you just said. The football we are playing is s**t, the players are playing s**t, the fans have had enough of this s**T!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Smalling - Keep
    Rooney - 请到中国

We need a statement of intent by the club and we need it within the next two weeks to keep DDG. And that means getting Mourinho in within a couple of days of the cup final or we're f***ed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement