Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Mr. Farage wrote: »
    Stop being deluded. We don't have champions league football. Players aren't going to sign for us over the likes of Madrid or Bayern. Chelsea yes maybe we can compete with them but we have fallen way behind the top dogs.

You are always inwards looking :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

astradave wrote: »
    Anyone know what's going on with Giggs, he was linked with Forest but they are after appointing someone today.

It's an interesting one... you would have thought after the LVG sacking and Jose coming in the club would have confirmed what is happening with Giggs. I'd say it's fairly likely he is on his way out and the club have remained silent in order for him to look for a new job and look like he left to do something else rather then get the sack as it were...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭weisses

brinty wrote: »
    These guys are mercenaries for hire with very little loyalty..

Ahh Mercenaries/warriors .... Mourinho will like that :D

PSG after sacking Larry White

They will hire the Europa winning Sevilla manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Time for Mourinho to smash and grab Verratti while he doesn't have a manager. Get in there my son!

irishchris wrote: »
    Never said he wouldn't have been a good signing for us. He would have been a lot of the time but he is not consistent enough and I don't think we would be signing a rw this summer if we had got him and lingard so for those reasons I am glad we did not sign him. No doubting he will be a good signing for Liverpool though if he can find consistency.

And Lingard is consistent and influences games more often or even at all? Not sure what your reasons for not wanting to sign him last summer are tbh. Would he have improved our team last season? Yes imo, we needed someone explosive like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Dead right guys sure jesse doesn't influence games ;)

2vsqfic.jpg

And Lingard is consistent and influences games more often or even at all? Not sure what your reasons for not wanting to sign him last summer are tbh. Would he have improved our team last season? Yes imo, we needed someone explosive like him.

Lingard is going to be a sub next season with Mkhitaryan replacing him as 1st choice.

jayo26 wrote: »

2vsqfic.jpg

He will become our new Solskjaer.

• Advertisement

2vsqfic.jpg

Whenver I'm feeling down I replay this goal. I have it saved my phone :pac:

RobertKK wrote: »
    He will become our new Solskjaer.

He was average enough at times last season but he came back from a massive injury. He has had the summer off and have confidence from his fa cup win so we could see an improved seasonot from him.

Lingard is going to be a sub next season with Mkhitaryan replacing him as 1st choice.

He will be a good sub. Come on in cup finals and smash another one into the top corner is good enough for me.

He was average enough at times last season but he came back from a massive injury. He has had the summer off and have confidence from his fa cup win so we could see an improved seasonot from him.

I hope so, he was very good in front of goal before he became a regular in the team.

I hope so, he was very good in front of goal before he became a regular in the team.

Yeh u think his underage stats are pretty high ain't they. I'm really excited for the new season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

If we sign zlatan, how much game time could rashford get? I can see him play all europa games, and maybe 20-30 min in most pl games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭irishchris

Lingard played well but remember only recently he took the step up to first team. But my point was more to do with it we had signed mane whilst already having lingard then we wouldn't be signing a rw this summer. Would rather a year of lingard then many years of substandard rw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I posted the link to Mane signing for Liverpool yesterday as he was heavily linked as a Utd target for a long time.

Also, its just a lot of hot air saying we arent in for the same players as Liverpool.

adox wrote: »
    I posted the link to Mane signing for Liverpool yesterday as he was heavily linked as a Utd target for a long time.

Also, its just a lot of hot air saying we arent in for the same players as Liverpool.

Linked last year, not this year.

Don't know of any players that United and Liverpool have been linked with which are the same so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Don't know of any players that United and Liverpool have been linked with which are the same so far.

Linked last season and we are coming into the first window since then.

Its terribly dismissive to say we wont be in for the same players as Liverpool was my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

adox wrote: »
    Linked last season and we are coming into the first window since then.

Its terribly dismissive to say we wont be in for the same players as Liverpool was my point.

Sure Liverpool were after Mkhitaryan a few seasons ago themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Rather an arbitrary distinction is it not? And a rather stupid argument all round, not least considering we may be about to sign a player heavily linked with them in the past.

Gazzetta dello Sport say United are offering Pogba £192k a week (presume after tax) which is higher than what Real Madrid offering him according to the paper, €25 million Mino Raiola wants for himself and United are prepared to match the €100 million Real Madrid are offering Juventus.

So GDS are saying €100 million, while other publications are saying United offering €120 million.
    Probably stays at Juventus unless Raiola wants his pension sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Liverpool and United have been linked with the same players quite a bit over the past year or two - Depay, Firmino, Clyne all spring to mind.

However, United can also step up into the elite tier of the market whenever they want (Di Maria, Falcao) and Liverpool just don't have that sort of spending power. Getting Mourinho on board probably negates the effect of missing a year of CL. Players want to play for him since they know he wins trophies.

Rather an arbitrary distinction is it not? And a rather stupid argument all round, not least considering we may be about to sign a player heavily linked with them in the past.

Mkhitaryan was linked with Arsenal before United became favourites.
    It only matters what is happening in the current transfer window and who we want and not past transfer windows when rumours could not be verified, as the player moved nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Sure Liverpool were after Mkhitaryan a few seasons ago themselves.

Turned us down because we didn't have CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

maybe something like this for next season?

577124b3e9857.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

bangkok wrote:

A fantasy line up
    Sure why not??

But rashers shouldn't be on right side of a 3

He's a striker play him there if/when you rest Zlatan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Having seen him live for Sweden against us and the other 2 games I'm not sure I'm keen on Ibra.

Just looked so ordinary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Having seen him live for Sweden against us and the other 2 games I'm not sure I'm keen on Ibra.

Just looked so ordinary

Better team around him with United??

If it's a one year deal and rashers learns from him all the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Will Rashers learn from him? Zlatan doesn't strike me as the Mr Miyagi type who'll nurture the youngsters

• Advertisement

Id take him, but if I expect him to blossom I think we may have few people disappointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Just looked so ordinary

1 year deal and on a free. With his goals record, it's well worth a punt. Plus he will strike fear into the opposition, something our forwards have been lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

It's not just the forwards who lack the ability to strike fear into opponents, the entire team is missing said ability.

But hopefully that'll be set right this season...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

bangkok wrote: »

577124b3e9857.jpg

Carrick and Rooney in the middle.

Jaysus.

1 year deal and on a free. With his goals record, it's well worth a punt. Plus he will strike fear into the opposition, something our forwards have been lacking.

True, but I'd be prepared for him be flop too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Carrick and Rooney in the middle.

Jaysus.

yup it would get slaughtered

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Am I the only one who thinks we might see a decent bit of Valencia as RW? He strikes me as the kind of player Jose would like. Nothing spectacular, but solid, especially if we want to lock down the left wing

Will Rashers learn from him? Zlatan doesn't strike me as the Mr Miyagi type who'll nurture the youngsters

On the contrary ain't he loved in the Swedish squad for helping youngsters and I think I read similar about his time with inter.

577124b3e9857.jpg

I'm surprised at that lineup from you. Why buy a player that has just won player of the year playing on the right and put him in midfield?

I'd have him on right and rooney or mata behind ibra then deeper I'd have selection of bastian schneiderlin carrick and Herrera.

I also hope we have seen the last of playing two defensive role midfielders I want to see schneiderlin given more freedom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I don't care if Ibrahimovic takes them for 1on1 coaching sessions - we need another striker. If Rooney is being moved into midfield it would take some kind of brain dead idiot to think Martial and Rashford for a season will be good enough. So once it is accepted we need a striker - the argument can only then be about which one.

Harry Kane? Spurs would have no interest in selling - and I don't thinkn he would look to force a move - so if you want Kane, better be bringing well north of 50million and a prayer. Also, if you sign young and improving Kane - what does that do for the game time of Rashford? You can't claim to want Rashford to being given loads of time and then want Kane.

Similar with Lukaku - I doubt Koeman went to Everton without assurances they woudl fight to keep Barkley, Lukaku and Stones, so you are looking for 50million again, or more, for another young and improving striker. Not looking good for Rashford that one either.

Lewandowski? Are Bayern going to sell? If they do Real Madrid are continually linked - so good chance he goes there.

Higuain, Icardi... whoever - gonna cost a fortune. Generally play most games and be around for a good few years.

Ibrahimovic. Free transfer, one year contract. 34? 35? whichever, he isn't going to be playing game in game out at that age - so plenty of game time to share around. He isn't going to be first choice in 2 years time, so if Rashford or Martial have improved it is a completely different outlook on what longer time striker signing we need. His winner mentality (a reported big asset to PSG from his first day) would be welcome. Playing with him day in day out in training should be of help to younger players, regardless of whether he puts on coaching clinics of his own.

Also - and maybe, just maybe... Rashford isn't all that good. Maybe he is going through the purplist of purple patches and won't improve (or improve much from here). Maybe pinning our hopes on him to lead us for the next decade and making signing decisions based on that isn't the best of ideas.

Ibrahimovic would be a low risk signing, is proven to work well with Mourinho and will provide another 12 months for Rashford and Martial to develop, so we can see where we are next summer. Do we need a new first choice cause Rashford is average, or do we need a backup cause Rashford is looking class. Would be a good idea to make such a decision based on more than 3 months of senior football.

Rashford is 18 - he doesn't need to be playing 90mins every week and the reliance we placed on him in the last third of last season was simply poor management.

I'm surprised at that lineup from you. Why buy a player that has just won player of the year playing on the right and put him in midfield?

I'd have him on right and rooney or mata behind ibra then deeper I'd have selection of bastian schneiderlin carrick and Herrera.

I also hope we have seen the last of playing two defensive role midfielders I want to see schneiderlin given more freedom.

seen a good bit of him this year, he has played in the number 10 role and played from the left some games i have seen him, just dont think it is clear cut he will play out wide right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

seen a good bit of him this year, he has played in the number 10 role and played from the left some games i have seen him, just dont think it is clear cut he will play out wide right

Rashford wide right is just stupid though. Sure, let him run to the channels from centre to pull defenders away - but actually play him on the right as a plan for the season? Would be just thick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I don't care if Ibrahimovic takes them for 1on1 coaching sessions - we need another striker. If Rooney is being moved into midfield it would take some kind of brain dead idiot to think Martial and Rashford for a season will be good enough. So once it is accepted we need a striker - the argument can only then be about which one.

Harry Kane? Spurs would have no interest in selling - and I don't thinkn he would look to force a move - so if you want Kane, better be bringing well north of 50million and a prayer. Also, if you sign young and improving Kane - what does that do for the game time of Rashford? You can't claim to want Rashford to being given loads of time and then want Kane.

Similar with Lukaku - I doubt Koeman went to Everton without assurances they woudl fight to keep Barkley, Lukaku and Stones, so you are looking for 50million again, or more, for another young and improving striker. Not looking good for Rashford that one either.

Lewandowski? Are Bayern going to sell? If they do Real Madrid are continually linked - so good chance he goes there.

Higuain, Icardi... whoever - gonna cost a fortune. Generally play most games and be around for a good few years.

Ibrahimovic. Free transfer, one year contract. 34? 35? whichever, he isn't going to be playing game in game out at that age - so plenty of game time to share around. He isn't going to be first choice in 2 years time, so if Rashford or Martial have improved it is a completely different outlook on what longer time striker signing we need. His winner mentality (a reported big asset to PSG from his first day) would be welcome. Playing with him day in day out in training should be of help to younger players, regardless of whether he puts on coaching clinics of his own.

Also - and maybe, just maybe... Rashford isn't all that good. Maybe he is going through the purplist of purple patches and won't improve (or improve much from here). Maybe pinning our hopes on him to lead us for the next decade and making signing decisions based on that isn't the best of ideas.

Ibrahimovic would be a low risk signing, is proven to work well with Mourinho and will provide another 12 months for Rashford and Martial to develop, so we can see where we are next summer. Do we need a new first choice cause Rashford is average, or do we need a backup cause Rashford is looking class. Would be a good idea to make such a decision based on more than 3 months of senior football.

Rashford is 18 - he doesn't need to be playing 90mins every week and the reliance we placed on him in the last third of last season was simply poor management.

Completely agree, if you believe in rashford (most people do I'd say), Ibrahamovic and the circumstances surrounding his move, playing time, experience, price, etc. are all perfectly suited to improving rashford and the team as a whole. Not to mention the moments of magic and possible unlocking of otherwise tough defences throughout the season. Ibra in open play will be quite important, with his age, possibly more important than the goals he scores. It's a top tier of class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Micky played on the right for Dortmund ?

Rashford wide right is just stupid though. Sure, let him run to the channels from centre to pull defenders away - but actually play him on the right as a plan for the season? Would be just thick.

it was just a starting 11 put out there, was more to do with where mkhitaryan will start. i think we will see a lot more players interchanging positions this season during games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

On the contrary ain't he loved in the Swedish squad for helping youngsters and I think I read similar about his time with inter.

Well fair enough then. That's one less worry about him for me.

beno619 wrote: »
    Micky played on the right for Dortmund ?

Yeh going by who scored he played 22 games on the right for Dortmund last season and 4 in center and the rest were on the left infairness he plays just about anywhere in final third but mostly has been from right.

Would people like United signing James Rodriguez for £50 million.

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I hope we don't. I think he's overrated and the last time we signed a Madrid reject it didn't end up well. We shouldn't be going for players who didn't make it at other clubs imo, more signings like Martial please!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement