Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭roosterman71

This is the best piece I've read about Rooney in midfield for some time
    There are many types of central midfielder: There is the defensive midfielder; there is the box-to-box midfielder; there is the midfielder who dictates the tempo of his side’s play; there is the goalscoring midfielder; there is N’Golo Kante, who is in a realm by himself.

Which does Rooney fit into? On the basis of his performances against Russia and Wales, the 30-year-old was supposedly the orchestrator – the one who dictates play. He did relatively well in those games, not extraordinary well, but well enough. But the experiment of Rooney in midfield turned fatal in Nice.

Do not doubt just how poor Rooney was on Monday. The Manchester United ‘midfielder’ was abhorrent – indecisive in possession, non-existent in defence and wasteful in attack. Only four England starters registered a lower passing accuracy, and four teammates created more chances. His lack of incision was evident as England were made to chase the game for long periods. Take away his party trick of launching a 30-yard cross-field ball to a waiting full-back, and what does he bring to the team? On an evening which has guaranteed its place in England infamy, the captain very much led by example.

Source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Swap Kante for Rooney and give Leicester £30m we would still be getting a bargain. On the next England manager with United connections LVG would be a nice fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

patmac wrote: »
    Swap Kante for Rooney and give Leicester £30m we would still be getting a bargain. On the next England manager with United connections LVG would be a nice fit.

They should give it to Iceland's Swedish coach Lars Lagerback,they cant seem to beat any team he is involved with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Exactly, that is his level. Everton and CP.

The guy used to be a very good footballer, is now a decent mid table footballer.

he is not a top of the table, CL chasing forward and he certainly is not a midfielder.

I would agree he's moving towards Stephen Gerrard type status at united. I think we have better players in the squad that could fill his boots.

I don't really want him sitting in the middle of our midfield spraying 50 yard diags across the pitch, Gerrard did that for 4/5 seasons at Liverpool and it didn't really do anything. I'd rather Anders Herrera got his role and grew into it.

I just hope that Jose has the balls not to play him in the middle which ultimately means he will be a 2nd string striker or gone.....but who would pay his wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Simply cannot fathom Mourinho, the ultimate pragmatist and winner, pandering to Rooney. Mourinho has ALWAYS had strong midfields, Rooney has literally no place in a Mourinho midfield, and if Jose contemplates him in there, we will be off to a worrying start.

By the end of this week, Rooney will be our third choice striker.............

Cash in and hump him off to China or back to Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

TheDoc wrote: »
    Rooneys demise is clearly obvious to all who have been watching his laboured performances over the last 12 months. Why would any club want to pay a transfer fee and massive wages to see a slowing and quite likely overweight Rooney huffing and puffing in their team? I've no doubt he'd still have moments of magic if surrounded my mediocrity but once he accepts his top level career is over I'd say he'll balloon fairly quickly.

Best case scenario is Utd pay up his contract (for a discount hopefully) and let him off for one last hurrah in China or the US assuming that is he will agree to go which may not be the case at all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Simply cannot fathom Mourinho, the ultimate pragmatist and winner, pandering to Rooney. Mourinho has ALWAYS had strong midfields, Rooney has literally no place in a Mourinho midfield, and if Jose contemplates him in there, we will be off to a worrying start.

By the end of this week, Rooney will be our third choice striker.............

Everton is an interesting one.

New owners, money to spend, they have granted him a testimonial, he would be the biggest name at the club...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Everton is an interesting one.

New owners, money to spend, they have granted him a testimonial, he would be the biggest name at the club...

If name recognition is their criteria for investing in new players rather than the players current form and likely development over the next 3-4 years then they should most definitely waste invest big money in bringing Rooney "home" and quickly follow that up with signing Lineker, Graham Sharpe, Peter Reid and of course Francis Jeffers. They too are big names. What could go wrong?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

If name recognition is their criteria for investing in new players rather than the players current form and likely development over the next 3-4 years then they should most definitely waste invest big money in bringing Rooney "home" and quickly follow that up with signing Lineker, Graham Sharpe, Peter Reid and of course Francis Jeffers. They too are big names. What could go wrong?? :D

Forgot Tony Cottee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Mr. Farage wrote: »
    His corner in injury time didn't even beat the first man.

in 5 mins, an 18 year old player showed more courage, commitment, desire than any of the over paid wannabe "superstars" did.

his corner went straight to an english played who shot well over the bar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

If I was Mourinho watching that I might even be tempted to cash in from China. Rooneys United career might just have taken a sharp turn.

Are we in back in the 80s when players could just be told to fcuk off and have little say in where they were moving.

also i seen "the sun" newspaper have a picture of Rooney's son crying on their frontpage.

Such a disgusting rag piece of crap of a newspaper

As bad as he is he'd still improve Everton, Wayne Rooney however is never going there, never in a million years. He's only 30 he will potentially feel he has a lot to give at the top level.

Are we in back in the 80s when players could just be told to fcuk off and have little say in where they were moving.

There should be. Considering the ransoms clubs are held to time and time again.

And in this scenario with Rooney, twice holding a gun to the clubs head, **** him as far as I'm concerned.

Can't believe how angry I am today, you would swear I was English. I'm just absolutely shaken to the core at the prospect of all the things we will do this week(signings) and might do in the remainder of the window, everything we have lining up, and then have to see Rooney in midfield.

I also hope it firmly puts to bed this myth that being "old" means you are a leader and have experience. What an embarrassing disgraceful performance from a captain.

I think it symbolic that he came off for Rashford, who was Englands best player in 4 minutes. Happened at club, and now its happened at country level too. Writing is on the wall for him.

Think my Rooney hatred bleeding out this morning, but I've just never been able to get past his ransoms, and think the sooner he is gone the quicker the team can get back to having a proper shape and quality and stop shoehorning him in wrecking everything.

And in this scenario with Rooney, twice holding a gun to the clubs head, **** him as far as I'm concerned.

Can't believe how angry I am today, you would swear I was English. I'm just absolutely shaken to the core at the prospect of all the things we will do this week(signings) and might do in the remainder of the window, everything we have lining up, and then have to see Rooney in midfield.

I also hope it firmly puts to bed this myth that being "old" means you are a leader and have experience. What an embarrassing disgraceful performance from a captain.

I think it symbolic that he came off for Rashford, who was Englands best player in 4 minutes. Happened at club, and now its happened at country level too. Writing is on the wall for him.

Think my Rooney hatred bleeding out this morning, but I've just never been able to get past his ransoms, and think the sooner he is gone the quicker the team can get back to having a proper shape and quality and stop shoehorning him in wrecking everything.

I think you're jumping the gun a bit, I'd wait to see a few pre-season games with Jose at the helm and where he plays Rooney before making any judgements.

As for holding clubs to Ransom, well some do via not training, but plenty of normal employees do this also (Luas drivers :) ) Personally. I don't really see the problem in players winding down their contract and openly expressing a desire to leave in order to get a bumper pay day. If clubs are too weak to tell them to F off then so be it, players will continue to exploit it.

Lets not forget the clubs who exploit 100's of youth players on a yearly basis where they are traded or discarded at a heart beat.

Both players and clubs are to blame for the current state of the game, add that to the money that's around today and you have a very toxic environment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Swear to God I'd so love this man back at the club some day as a coach or something. His passion for United is second to none.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHMC0cujtNq/

"patrice.evraApril 9, 2014 the exact location where the aircraft of the busby babes was crashed if you are not interested in the history of your club you can not understand the importance of wearing this Jersey"

Love evra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/747724933489434625

"From Spain: Man United in ‘serious negotiations’ to sign Paul Pogba, Mourinho wants to beat Madrid to the transfer. https://t.co/dz0b9ZrWg6"

dONkey kONg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

jayo26 wrote: »
    Swear to God I'd so love this man back at the club some day as a coach or something. His passion for United is second to none.

"patrice.evraApril 9, 2014 the exact location where the aircraft of the busby babes was crashed if you are not interested in the history of your club you can not understand the importance of wearing this Jersey"

Love evra.

Was not a fan of his defending but he does respect the club. That's good enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

No, but if Rooney is told by Jose he is not first choice, for any position and will likely be spending much of his time sitting on the bench Wayne will want to move.

Players want to play.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

So Watzke has confirmed that we have improved our offer for Mickey Ryan and they will make a decision this weekend. Can't see this not happening now tbh

https://twitter.com/DerWestenSport/status/747736748415926272

• Advertisement

Love evra.

yea the man is a club legend. David Gill once said Evra was his favourite club signing as he really embodied what Manchester United was all about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

No, but if Rooney is told by Jose he is not first choice, for any position and will likely be spending much of his time sitting on the bench Wayne will want to move.

Players want to play.

It was more the 'hump him off to China' aspect I was querying, seemed like a throwback to olden day transfers when a club could effectively decide where an unwanted player was sent.
    I really can't see him and Colleen and kids in China, but hey you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Was not a fan of his defending

Did you have a straight face writing that?

a bot ott, Rooney still has plenty to offer the club so will not be sold, England are regularly crap at major tournaments so wouldnt hold that against him.

there will be plenty of players in line to be sold before rooney will be

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Seems to be deleted.

Yeah, he posted what United's team might look next season.

He had Pogba in the team along with Zlatan, Mkhitaryan and Rooney was a sub...as he struggled to fit him in.

i see Hulk is moving to china for £45m!!!! some serious money, you would have to say Rooney should easily sell for same price or more if he were to go there

skysports wrote: »
    yea the man is a club legend. David Gill once said Evra was his favourite club signing as he really embodied what Manchester United was all about

Yeah he does he always gave 100percent he is up there with my favourite players.

:):):):)

• Advertisement

Yeah he does he always gave 100percent he is up there with my favourite players.

:):):):)

like the little edit on top :)

bangkok wrote: »
    like the little edit on top :)

Haha tidy wasn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Some serious dramatisation with regards to Rooney's performance last night.

How its a surprise to anyone that he's a poor impression of Gerrard is baffling, its been clear everytime he ateempted to play there for United.

He'll be useful for us in multiple positions next season, I dont see any rush to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

beno619 wrote: »

How its a surprise to anyone that he's a poor impression of Gerrard is baffling, its been clear everytime he ateempted to play there for United.

He'll be useful for us in multiple positions next season, I dont see any rush to sell.

If some Chinese club offered an insane bid then we should take hand and all.His performances in midfield for England were no different than his performances there for United,the odd bit of magic to blind everyone and give false hope tempered by a largely poor performance.One instant last night summed him up,a simple ball to be played down the line yet he managed to hit it straight to an Icelandic player 5 yards in front of him.It was as if he didn't even realise the guy was there.
    How often have we seen similar over the last couple of seasons? United on the counter,the ball goes to Rooney and somehow he fucks the simple things up.A 40 yard diagonal balll to the right wing that comes to nothing will not cover up for those deficiencies in his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

beno619 wrote: »

People want scapegoats for bad seasons and forget that the last time a new manager came in the likes of Kagawa, Nani and Welbeck were let go. Players United were crying out for last season and are happy to do that again with calls for a bunch of players to go.

Rooney wants to stay, can't see him going to China but would sell him if a decent offer came in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Rooney must have been pulling his hair out about the the Result last night

390129.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Polo_Mint wrote: »

390129.jpg

Ah here, would you stop. So Rooney is going bald, shock horror. I don't really think it's funny TBH, I presume you were trying to be. You can have a constructive debate of Rooney's match performances without bringing his hair into it!

Ah here, would you stop. So Rooney is going bald, shock horror. I don't really think it's funny TBH, I presume you were trying to be. You can have a constructive debate of Rooney's match performances without bringing his hair into it!

You want me to comment on Rooney's style on the pitch?

• Advertisement

Polo_Mint wrote: »

390129.jpg

Jesus the lows people will stoop in order to get a reaction!

Jesus the lows people will stoop in order to get a reaction!

Aw will you relax

People saying hes shit, Drop him, Sell him and you get insulted over this?

Rooney's hair is a metaphor.

https://twitter.com/English_AS/status/747736209636601856

Pogba agent in talks with Man United as Madrid stallhttp://bit.ly/28Xu1ZO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

zerks wrote: »

Really hope we don't pay 100mil for him. Simply not worth it. He is not a goalscorer which is the only way you get return for that. For that price he would want to be the best player in the world right now and guarantee a champions league and league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Pogba's agent uses Man United as leverage to ensure Madrid deal.

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    what it say?

690.jpg

690.jpg

That's a bloody good team tbf.

I don't think Pogba is a realistic target though at all, I'll believe it when I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

If Mourinho plans on playing Martial, Ibra and Rashford together then we'll need to buy another striker. We can't be relying on Rooney to do a job there anymore.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Really hope we don't pay 100mil for him. Simply not worth it. He is not a goalscorer which is the only way you get return for that. For that price he would want to be the best player in the world right now and guarantee a champions league and league.

He is a goalscorer.
    Last season: 10 goals 16 assists.
    Rooney got 15 goals and 6 assists...

glued wrote: »
    If Mourinho plans on playing Martial, Ibra and Rashford together then we'll need to buy another striker. We can't be relying on Rooney to do a job there anymore.

Think thats wishful paper building talk from Ducker.

At the same time, it excludes Lingaard, Depay, young and Valencia who can all provide cover in wide positions to move Martial or Rashford centrally.

Although I'm not a fan of shoehorning strikers into wide positions. Can't fathom Mourinho won't give Memphis every opportunity to recapture form and meet his potential.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement