Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

zerks wrote:
    Giggs is going to do punditry on ITV for the rest of the Euros.

Looking forward to that. First time that Giggs is a pundit as far as I know. Clear that his agent has been trying to get him in the spotlight to land him a managing or coaching job somewhere. I'm afraid that he'll be very bland though and won't say anything of note.

bangkok wrote:
    england couldnt pass the ball for **** last night while their best passer of the ball sat at home..Carrick.

Good point. Carrick has been criminally underused by England and will retire as one of the most decorated English players around, but without ever making a mark on the national team. Same story for Scholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭irishchris

Only 24 days until our first preseason match. Could it be that we have mkhitaryan by then and his first game will be against his old club :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

irishchris wrote: »
    Only 24 days until our first preseason match. Could it be that we have mkhitaryan by then and his first game will be against his old club :-)

Who's that you're talking about

We're signing Micky Ryan, of the famous Ryans of the parish of Ryan

brinty wrote: »
    Who's that you're talking about

We're signing Micky Ryan, of the famous Ryans of the parish of Ryan

I also refuse to spell his "real" name until he's officially signed. Pfft Mkhitaryan who?! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

It's fuken MICKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

morning lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I also refuse to spell his "real" name until he's officially signed. Pfft Mkhitaryan who?! :p

Jaysus you didn't last very long :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

i see Dembele has signed for Celtic, we were heavily linked with a move for him and he was even persoanlly scouted by Mourinho, spurs also heavily linked with him but he ends up going to scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

Hayley SSN ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

bangkok wrote: »
    i see Dembele has signed for Celtic, we were heavily linked with a move for him and he was even persoanlly scouted by Mourinho, spurs also heavily linked with him but he ends up going to scotland

Was it not Ousmane Dembele that we were linked to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Was it not Ousmane Dembele that we were linked to?

We were linked with Moussa Dembele in January, he was having a stormer with Fulham and one of the main reasons they were not relegated last season. Most of the top clubs were linked in Jan. Going to Celtic makes it look like it was his agent trying to garner interest in Jan

just thinking there last night, after all the stick Rooney got on here yesterday, surprised no one mentioned Ibrahimovic. He had an awful tournament, looked disinterested in most games and didnt make many runs and yet could be leading the line for us this season.

Jaysus you didn't last very long :pac:

Touché :D Yep I googled it, I refuse to learn how to spell his "real" name. Everyone seems to prefer mickey around here anyway ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

adox wrote: »
    Cringe.

There is always wonderful irony someone posting on the internet, asking if someone else is "ard enough" ...on the internet

epic lolz

just thinking there last night, after all the stick Rooney got on here yesterday, surprised no one mentioned Ibrahimovic. He had an awful tournament, looked disinterested in most games and didnt make many runs and yet could be leading the line for us this season.

I think it's because ibra has come off the back of his most prolific season ever while rooney by many people's opinions hasn't done anything good in 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

El confidential saying Varane wants to leave Madrid and will push for a move and United want him, and they are selling Morata too. Mourinho interested in both.

https://twitter.com/sport_witness/status/748061030119522304

Real Madrid are reported to want Kante.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Some pretty obvious differences in the scenario there. Are you really going to bate this line?

Ibrahimovic has just come off another incredible season with PSG.

Lewandowski has been pretty meh this tournament, so I'm sure Bayern are going to be massively concerned with him leading the line for them next season.

Kane has had a stinker with England. Totenham should look to sell.

etc...

etc...

etc...

TheDoc wrote: »
    Some pretty obvious differences in the scenario there. Are you really going to bate this line?

Ibrahimovic has just come off another incredible season with PSG.

Lewandowski has been pretty meh this tournament, so I'm sure Bayern are going to be massively concerned with him leading the line for them next season.

Kane has had a stinker with England. Totenham should look to sell.

etc...

etc...

etc...

how many goals would rooney score with PSG playing up top in that league?

i think Ibra will be a good signing, just dont think he will be as good as some people expect. If he scores 15+ league goals i think he will be doing very well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I just can't see Varane being sold. Pepe is 33 - surely Madrid need to consider replacing him and surely t'feck Varane is going to be the man they turn to. According to Fergie, Zidane personally got involved in bringing him to Madrid in the first place.

Either Madrid won't sell, or they reckon he is a bit crap and are happy to sell.

Seems an odd one.

It looks like a lot of United's summer is going to be linked, in the press at the least, with Madrid. Pogba, James, Kroos, Varane,

• jharr100 wrote: »
    Hayley SSN ...

Pics or GTFO

• Advertisement

I just can't see Varane being sold. Pepe is 33 - surely Madrid need to consider replacing him and surely t'feck Varane is going to be the man they turn to. According to Fergie, Zidane personally got involved in bringing him to Madrid in the first place.

Either Madrid won't sell, or they reckon he is a bit crap and are happy to sell.

Seems an odd one.

It looks like a lot of United's summer is going to be linked, in the press at the least, with Madrid. Pogba, James, Kroos, Varane,

The claim is Varane wants a change, he gets injured regularly and it has held him back which is why RM will let him go.
    I do think United will sign a second CB and will sell Rojo.

Nani going to valencia after the euros, great move for him, massive club

jharr100 wrote: »
    Hayley SSN ...

Nothing as good as a blonde in a little black number!

Transfers are starting to kick off now, approaching the first of July.The yellow banner is in overdrive on SSN now!

• zorro2566 wrote: »
    Transfers are starting to kick off now,the yellow banner is in overdrive on SSN now!

Who What Where When;

Some Quotes from Chief Executive of BD

"Manchester United have made an improved offer for Henrik Mkhitaryan, according to Borussia Dortmund’s chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke.

The Armenia international is believed to be on the verge of completing a move to Old Trafford, with representatives from each club meeting in Manchester recently to sound out a deal.

Watzke, who promised ‘to assess Mkhitaryan’s situation’ earlier this week, has now claimed that United have increased their bid.

"We have to evaluate this as we start our pre-season training on Monday, and we will do that at the weekend," he told WAZ. "The situation has changed – Manchester United improved their offer.

"In situations like this you have to see things from different points of view and in the end we will make a decision,” he added.

"I have contacted the relevant people and we will decide at the weekend. We need the opinions of different people and after that the board of directors will decide."

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Who What Where When

Just minor transfers involving Oldham,Nottingham Forest and Everton but you know SSN,big deal for them!

astradave wrote: »
    We were linked with Moussa Dembele in January, he was having a stormer with Fulham and one of the main reasons they were not relegated last season. Most of the top clubs were linked in Jan. Going to Celtic makes it look like it was his agent trying to garner interest in Jan

He should have went to Rangers! :mad:

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Just minor transfers involving Oldham,Nottingham Forest and Everton but you know SSN,big deal for them!

and a big deal for the fans that support them clubs in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

zorro2566 wrote: »
    He should have went to Rangers! :mad:

Probably swayed by the great history of Celtic. I mean... Rangers? a couple of lower league titles... great.

crikey above Hayley looking lovely on SSN is right....

For a girl who's not a size 8 or close its great to see she's so beloved of us all ;)

God bless Hayley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I think its very different. Ibra is playing up top, essentially as the lone striker, he relies on the swedish players for service. He had to drop deep just to get the ball a lot of the time and when he did get it the players he was playing with are not good enough or intelligent enough in relation to the opposition to do anything of worth.

Look at Lewandowski he's also struggled and he's in a better team than sweden who have given him relatively okay service.

Rooneys role was as a central midfielder, a dictator of play. Whilst he did alright in some games, he failed to orchestrate a telling pass or breakthrough and he had a lot of the ball. However having watched the Iceland game and scrutinizing the runs made for him....he didn't really have all that much to aim for.

If you're going to have a Rooney in the team England should have used Vardy, England should have have sat back a bit more and looked to utilise Rooney's long ball with Vardys pace. Ultimately they played too high up and didn't have any space in behind their opponents to expose.

There will always be a scapegoat in the English media, this time its Rooney. The English media were only saying how good he was against Russia and that taking him off is when they lost control of the game and gave up their lead. In essence they dont know their head from their arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

crikey above Hayley looking lovely on SSN is right....

For a girl who's not a size 8 or close its great to see she's so beloved of us all ;)

God bless Hayley

Personally, I don't see it myself and I think her face is quite...meh!

I think its very different. Ibra is playing up top, essentially as the lone striker, he relies on the swedish players for service. He had to drop deep just to get the ball a lot of the time and when he did get it the players he was playing with are not good enough or intelligent enough in relation to the opposition to do anything of worth.

Look at Lewandowski he's also struggled and he's in a better team than sweden who have given him relatively okay service.

Rooneys role was as a central midfielder, a dictator of play. Whilst he did alright in some games, he failed to orchestrate a telling pass or breakthrough and he had a lot of the ball. However having watched the Iceland game and scrutinizing the runs made for him....he didn't really have all that much to aim for.

If you're going to have a Rooney in the team England should have used Vardy, England should have have sat back a bit more and looked to utilise Rooney's long ball with Vardys pace. Ultimately they played too high up and didn't have any space in behind their opponents to expose.

There will always be a scapegoat in the English media, this time its Rooney. The English media were only saying how good he was against Russia and that taking him off is when they lost control of the game and gave up their lead. In essence they dont know their head from their arse.

dont think it rooney to be honest, i thinks its everyone in the english team apart from Rashford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Elbows are too pointy

32zjslg.gif

Probably swayed by the great history of Celtic. I mean... Rangers? a couple of lower league titles... great.

and Rogers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Elbows are too pointy

SEP_elbowpad_2-Edit_AraMDisplay.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Rooney is hardly being used as the scapegoat, that position is clearly taken by Sterling.

Rooney has been given an easy ride for at least the last two years. He has failed to deliver as a striker this year and so was moved to midfield as apparently he can't be dropped.

For some reason Roy bought into this rubbish based on two games in the FA Cup against lower table teams and deemed it correct to build his team around a player with little or no experience in the role.

He is not a captain, he is not a midfielder and anyone who thinks he can lead the line for Utd is living in the past.

Simple question, do you think any top teams would now be looking for Rooney in their midfield?

I find it hard to see where Rooney fits into the team. Mourinho should give him the Chelsea Mata treatment or just play him in Europa league, bring him on as a sub in the league...
    United are not in a position to use him as an experiment in midfield, he has some good games there but there are better players for that position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

RobertKK wrote: »
    I find it hard to see where Rooney fits into the team. Mourinho should give him the Chelsea Mata treatment or just play him in Europa league, bring him on as a sub in the league...
    United are not in a position to use him as an experiment in midfield, he has some good games there but there are better players for that position.

Mourinhio will use him in the No.10 role. Love the way he runs around the place all the time and "tracks back" but eventually get p*ssed off with the way he kicks the ball away or otherwise loses possession too often and only scores against Scunthorpe and Legia Lichtenstein.

Word from upstairs will insist that Rooney is kept in the team until he breaks Charltons record so that the plc can have a marketing orgy and cue the first rift of the Mourinhio era.

That's my thinking anyway....

Coat22 wrote: »

Mourinhio will use him in the No.10 role. Love the way he runs around the place all the time and "tracks back" but eventually get p*ssed off with the way he kicks the ball away or otherwise loses possession too often and only scores against Scunthorpe and Legia Lichtenstein.

Word from upstairs will insist that Rooney is kept in the team until he breaks Charltons record so that the plc can have a marketing orgy and cue the first rift of the Mourinhio era.

I don't think so on the bolded bit

I'd say if Mourinho says Rooney is out they'd be more than happy to go with it

That way Charlton's record stays intact

And bobby is nothing if not a legend at Manchester United

I doubt we'll ever see a statue to Wayne rooney being erected as he forced the clubs hand twice and generally acted the maggot.

Bobby Charlton never did anything like that and its why he's held in such high regard even to this day when most of us would've never seen him play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

BBC (Simon Stone) reported that Zlatan deal will be completed by end of this week.

Coat22 wrote: »

I doubt we'll ever see a statue to Wayne rooney being erected as he forced the clubs hand twice and generally acted the maggot.

Bobby Charlton never did anything like that and its why he's held in such high regard even to this day when most of us would've never seen him play.

Meh - not too sure.

Don't get me wrong - I still can't believe he was ever made captain the way he's carried on but I think Wayne Rooney Record breaker would make more news (and cash) in Asia and America than Bobby Charlton Club Legend.

Sad but true. Hope I'm wrong

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    BBC (Simon Stone) reported that Zlatan deal will be completed by end of this week.
    Would think so - doesn't he have to stay until July 1 (Friday) for loyalty payments?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hah, just mousing over that link tells me that Liverpool need not worry about ending up with Depay after all! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Did I just see a ****ing Joe.ie article linked as a source?

We've really hit rock bottom this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

In a properly functioning team Rooney can still be top class for us, most likely in some advanced or number 10 role.

Right now everyone is fixated on this new signing and that new signing and with the lust for shiny new things, we're lamenting the notion that Rooney will be shoe-horned into the team and as a result a lot of people just want rid...last season the problem was the system and the tactics, not the individuals so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

ericzeking wrote: »
    In a properly functioning team Rooney can still be top class for us, most likely in some advanced or number 10 role.

Right now everyone is fixated on this new signing and that new signing and with the lust for shiny new things, we're lamenting the notion that Rooney will be shoe-horned into the team and as a result a lot of people just want rid...last season the problem was the system and the tactics, not the individuals so much.

You're having a giraffe, right? It was not just last season, but last season only hastened the decline. SAF was ready to ship him out, and he should have. Moyes signed him up as he had so fu3ked up the transfer window and needed a statement. Why the hell LVG went with him as the main striker is beyond me but that itself was enough for me to think that LVG was a spoofer.

Rooney was always going to struggle as he got older. He started at the top very young, has always struggled with fitness and has the sort of build that will always struggle.

The only alarming thing is how quickly it has happened and how completely. It's not just his fitness or speed, it is also his speed of thought and ability to play the ball. Pirlo etc all compensated slowing down by changing their game to sit deeper and dictate play, Rooney has shown no ability to do this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I think it's a bit presumptuous to say that. The media then is not the same as it is now and there was no twitter, Instagram etc. Frankly, the players of that era got away with a lot of crap that the current crop don't. Most of it went on behind closed doors in those days.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement