Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

ericzeking wrote: »
    In a properly functioning team Rooney can still be top class for us, most likely in some advanced or number 10 role.

Right now everyone is fixated on this new signing and that new signing and with the lust for shiny new things, we're lamenting the notion that Rooney will be shoe-horned into the team and as a result a lot of people just want rid...last season the problem was the system and the tactics, not the individuals so much.

Rooney has been cack for a while now

Hes lifestyle outside the game meant he was always going to hit a steep decline in his 30's which is happening

Hes a crap captain for club and country aswell

Rooney was a star, like super star but those days are gone

Now he negatively affects the team as they have to find a position for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

brinty wrote: »
    I don't think so on the bolded bit

I'd say if Mourinho says Rooney is out they'd be more than happy to go with it

That way Charlton's record stays intact

And bobby is nothing if not a legend at Manchester United

I doubt we'll ever see a statue to Wayne rooney being erected as he forced the clubs hand twice and generally acted the maggot.

Bobby Charlton never did anything like that and its why he's held in such high regard even to this day when most of us would've never seen him play.

most club legends will never get a statue outside the ground, Roy Keane was a United legend, also held the club to ransom over a new contract and acted the maggot plenty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

brinty wrote: »
    I don't think so on the bolded bit

I'd say if Mourinho says Rooney is out they'd be more than happy to go with it

That way Charlton's record stays intact

And bobby is nothing if not a legend at Manchester United

I doubt we'll ever see a statue to Wayne rooney being erected as he forced the clubs hand twice and generally acted the maggot.

Bobby Charlton never did anything like that and its why he's held in such high regard even to this day when most of us would've never seen him play.

Denis law the fuker relegated us and he got a statue the scamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Leroy42 wrote: »
    You're having a giraffe, right? It was not just last season, but last season only hastened the decline. SAF was ready to ship him out, and he should have. Moyes signed him up as he had so fu3ked up the transfer window and needed a statement. Why the hell LVG went with him as the main striker is beyond me but that itself was enough for me to think that LVG was a spoofer.

Rooney was always going to struggle as he got older. He started at the top very young, has always struggled with fitness and has the sort of build that will always struggle.

The only alarming thing is how quickly it has happened and how completely. It's not just his fitness or speed, it is also his speed of thought and ability to play the ball. Pirlo etc all compensated slowing down by changing their game to sit deeper and dictate play, Rooney has shown no ability to do this

I dont often if ever agree with you and often think you're on the wind up, but youre spot on with this.

However, in your last point don't forget that Rooney was England's highest scorer in qualifying. And was doing pretty well leading the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Manchester United have made an improved offer of £35m to Borussia Dortmund for attacking midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan, 27. (Kicker - in German)

Am I the only one that thinks the fee is absurd given that is contract is running down :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

jayo26 wrote: »
    Denis law the fuker relegated us and he got a statue the scamp.

Common misconception.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Did I just see a ****ing Joe.ie article linked as a source?

We've really hit rock bottom this time.

Alright - keep your hairpiece on - I was only putting it out there as a discussion point - for once I couldn't give a f*ck if Liverpool came in for a united player in this instance and he does actually quote a fact - his odds on moving to Liverpool have halfed (admittedly in whats likely to be a small market)

Manchester United have made an improved offer of 35m to Borussia Dortmund for attacking midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan, 27. (Kicker - in German)

Am I the only one that thinks the fee is absurd given that is contract is running down :confused:

Nope. Smells like the "Fellani has a buy out clause of 23M so lets pay 27M for him" saga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Probably not.

But for me.....

The reality of the situation is Dortmund have proven that they are willing to let a star player run their contract down and leave for free rather than sell them unwillingly, so there is no real chance of getting a player off Dortmund on the cheap.

The ONLY thing that will concern me with Mkhitaryan is whether he is good enough. If he is, I'm not bothered about the price. Martial cost 60million+, glad he is at United.

Also, the transfer system is inflating at a massive rate. If Mkhitaryan turns out to be a top player, 35million for him would be a snip in todays market.

If Mourinho wants him, and United can afford him, I would rather they just sign him rather than penny pinch because his contract is running down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Coat22 wrote: »
    Alright - keep your hairpiece on - I was only putting it out there as a discussion point - for once I couldn't give a f*ck if Liverpool came in for a united player in this instance and he does actually quote a fact - his odds on moving to Liverpool have halfed (admittedly in whats likely to be a small market)

It take about 2 euro to half the price in those markets

• Advertisement

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Coat22 wrote: »

It take about 2 euro to half the price in those markets

As I said....

Common misconception.....

Haha yeah I know but it sounds good in folklore and do have a little dig for the fun of it.

Mickey Ryan's Con tract shouldn't come into it of we want him. He is worth 35 million to us all day long. Dortmund don't want to sell so we either pay up or run the risk of him having another great year and madrid or someone bidding against us for him next summer.

To put it into context Deeny is worth more then 30 million to his club and Mickey outscored him and had more assists then him from the wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

We are prolly going to end up paying over the odds for Mickey but its a sellers market.

Dortmund have no reason to sell and the player was last seasons Bundesliga player of the season (iirc)

He was involved in over 40 goals for Dortmund last season.

If he can add even half that to us next season then I'd be more than happy and it will be money well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Captain of Armenia’s National Football Team and Borussia Dortmund midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan ranks the 5th in Whoscored’s player statistics, based on various performance indicators. Also included in the top five are Lionel Messi, Neymar, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Gareth Bale, while Cristiano Ronaldo and Luis Suárez lag behind on the 6th and 7th spots, respectively.
    Mkhitaryan was recognized as the player of the match for 12 times in the current season, with only Messi and Ibrahimovic outpacing the Armenia international.

http://www.panarmenian.net/eng/news/211487/

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

German bookies BWIN have slashed the odds of Draxler to united in the last 12 hours after a number of large bets overnight....

Havent seen much of him in the Euro's, hows he been doing?

Delboy5 wrote: »
    German bookies BWIN have slashed the odds of Draxler to united in the last 12 hours after a number of large bets overnight....

Havent seen much of him in the Euro's, hows he been doing?

Wouldn't touch him. Signed for Wolfsburg cause he didn't want to deal with the pressures of playing for a big club. Maybe he has strengthened in the last couple of years but I'd worry about his attitude/mental strength.

Also, he was linked as an alternative to Mkhitaryan previously.

Wouldn't touch him. Signed for Wolfsburg cause he didn't want to deal with the pressures of playing for a big club. Maybe he has strengthened in the last couple of years but I'd worry about his attitude/mental strength.

he wanted to go to Juventus, had a deal agreed with them and all but Juventus wouldnt pay more than 15m so he went to wolfsburg instead

looking like Batshuayi joing chelsea for 33m. Palce and west ham also had bids of 30+ on him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

RobertKK wrote: »

That's a but if a silly piece if they rank them based on MoTM awards.

Of course Suarez and Neymar are going to get less when Messi is in the same team. Same with Ronaldo when you had Bale and Modric having great seasons.

Micky is a very very good player and will do well in the league.

I seen them quote his wages in dollars that was enough to tell me it was gonna be a pretty silly article.

I have no worries about his abilities or what he brings to the team he just needs to settle straight away that's the only risk.

I seen them quote his wages in dollars that was enough to tell me it was gonna be a pretty silly article.

I have no worries about his abilities or what he brings to the team he just needs to settle straight away that's the only risk.

he was also "player of the match" a lot :rolleyes:

bangkok wrote: »
    he was also "player of the match" a lot :rolleyes:

I suppose at least they didn't say mvp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Yeah I remember how United did against that small club in the CL last season :rolleyes:

Liam O wrote: »
    Yeah I remember how United did against that small club in the CL last season :rolleyes:

What has that got to do with anything? A snide comment with no point. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Do you personally know him?. How would you know this . Please explain?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

What team/teams did he snub in favour of Wolfsburg? I remember Arsenal being linked a fair bit a few years ago but hadn't heard much about him going anywhere last season. I just presumed he hadn't been living up to the hype.

Do personally know him?. How would you know this . Please explain?.
    May have erroneously read it on a few sites today. Read he decided on Wolfsburg because there would be less pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

May have erroneously read it on a few sites today. Read he decided on Wolfsburg because there would be less pressure.

IIRC Juventus didn't make acceptable bid so he moved to Wolfsburg.

Here is what he said
    "I've got to say I did follow Juventus' results this season," Germany international Draxler told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "While in October I thought I had done well to avoid what would have been a banana skin, I have to admit that, in hindsight, it would have been nice to win the Scudetto and the Coppa Italia."

"It was an honour for me that Juve wanted to sign me and had been trying so hard for so long to get me," Draxler said. "They are a club I've always followed. There were several rounds of talks in August and we tried to find an agreement with Schalke about my fee.

"I had already agreed terms with the Bianconeri and as far as I was concerned, it was all done, but the two clubs could not find an agreement. At the last minute, Wolfsburg sold De Bruyne and got in touch with me as his replacement."

Wouldn't believe everything you read Mitch. Wolf'sberg signed him to replace de Bruyne and no other club stumped up the cash for him. He has done extremely well with them this year.

I don't think he is a target for United if we get mickey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

most club legends will never get a statue outside the ground, Roy Keane was a United legend, also held the club to ransom over a new contract and acted the maggot plenty

No, Roy actually insisted the club send out a correcting statement to fans after it had initially looked to partially blame ticket hikes on his new deal. He never did anything remotely like Rooney with regard to contracts.

Also, ransom? He was never the highest paid player in his position in the league never mind European standards!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Not really, when you have the likes of Crystal Palace bidding £30m+ for players and Mane going for £34m rising to £36m.

He has a year left on his deal, but Dortmund have shown they will let a player run his contract down if they don't get what they feel is value for him, or if they make it a point of principle.

Absurd is not the word I would use anyway.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

What has that got to do with anything? A snide comment with no point. Well done.

Of course there was a point, they took 4 points off United in the CL group last season and are regularly towards the top of the Bundesliga and have some of the best players in Europe on their team. A bad season overall last season but with the problems in that region it may have had an effect on them. Still a big club by any metric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I think what you might have read is that he left Schalke due to the pressure. He admitted he left becuase he didn't want to deal with the expectation. That wouldn't exactly fill you with confidence about him playing in the PL if he struggles to deal with the pressure and expectation placed on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Liam O wrote: »
    Of course there was a point, they took 4 points off United in the CL group last season and are regularly towards the top of the Bundesliga and have some of the best players in Europe on their team. A bad season overall last season but with the problems in that region it may have had an effect on them. Still a big club by any metric.

We beat them in the first game, mata was on fire for that game

Hococop wrote: »
    We beat them in the first game, mata was on fire.......

Their defence was terrified

La la la la la la la la la la la la ...................

M.E.N. Sport understands Pogba, 23, has intimated he would rather stay at Juve than return to former club United if a Real transfer does not materialise, despite his agent Mino Raiola advising him to join The Reds.
    Raiola is believed to have advised Pogba to work under Mourinho for three years and improve ahead of a possible move to Real in the future, but the France international is said to be 'impatient' and eager to move to the Bernabeu sooner than 2019, when he would be 26.
    Despite that setback, Pogba has not explicitly rejected United and Real's own interest in the Frenchman has reportedly cooled, with both Madrid sports dailies Marca and AS reporting the Champions League winners' interest in Leicester enforcer N'Golo Kante. AS added Real president Florentino Perez has 'never been Pogba's biggest fan'.
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-utd-transfer-news-pogba-11542935

So Raiola is telling Pogba to re-join United, Pogba wants to join Real Madrid, Perez is said to not want Pogba and Pogba might stay at Juventus.
    Though Pogba has not ruled out a move to United seems to be the message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

most club legends will never get a statue outside the ground,

Exactly. Charlton was United and Englands top goalscorer ever and helped them to not only win the league 3 times, but also to win the European cup and the FA cup. Come back to me about statues when Rooney can match that sort of record for us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

That says to me leave pogba where he is... he would rather stay in juventus than return to manchester?? Ok so leave him there...

So basically he wants madrid
    They can have him if thats the case

We dont need any more players that are not passionate about playing for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Exactly. Charlton was United and Englands top goalscorer ever and helped them to not only win the league 3 times, but also to win the European cup and the FA cup. Come back to me about statues when Rooney can match that sort of record for us!

And then of course there's Munich. So much of United's history, good times and the bad, involve Bobby Charlton. You can't manufacture icons. They just happen.

• Advertisement

Mundo Deportivo say United have launched a total offensive to sign Neymar.

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/748237381032120320
    It’s claimed that Manchester United have launched a huge offensive to try and sign Neymar from Barcelona. The Premier League club have apparently been rushed into action because they’re worried Neymar is close to renewing and extending his deal at the Camp Nou.
    That would also see the Brazilian’s buyout clause rise, and Manchester United would prefer it didn’t.

Mundo Deportivo point out Manchester United’s interest in Neymar is long standing, and they say this time Manchester United have got agent Pini Zahavi working on the potential transfer.

Maybe they are trying to convince him but I doubt he moves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mundo Deportivo say United have launched a total offensive to sign Neymar.

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/748237381032120320

Maybe they are trying to convince him but I doubt he moves.

Or as always agents using utd to bumper their clients contract

I think if we had the Mickey Ryan deal and Ibra deal over the line I'd enjoy reading Neymar and pogba speculation more while it might not be total fantasy it is very unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I think if we had the Mickey Ryan deal and Ibra deal over the line I'd enjoy reading Neymar and pogba speculation more while it might not be total fantasy it is very unlikely.

I reckon both will be announced on Friday or monday and then they will attend the first press conference with Jose on Wednesday

For a bit of fun...with Neymar in the team (which will not happen)

De Gea
    Fosu Mensah--Smalling--Bailly--Shaw
    Schneiderlin--Carrick----
    Mkhitaryan---Martial---Neymar
    Ibrahimovic

Pogba didn't move, Darmian went to Chelsea, Rooney is a sub...

astradave wrote: »
    I reckon both will be announced on Friday or monday and then they will attend the first press conference with Jose on Wednesday

Yhh I think that too it would be a nice way to start of pre season :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

So basically 6 more goals and he gets a statue. He's done everything else;)

Which we all suspect....

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/748239389914968065

Would suspect it more as a Catalan media tactic for saying Neymar turned down 'huge riches' to renew, rather than him using United's name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

That says to me leave pogba where he is... he would rather stay in juventus than return to manchester?? Ok so leave him there...

So basically he wants madrid
    They can have him if thats the case

We dont need any more players that are not passionate about playing for us

In fairness Man United are a step down from Juventus so why would he go backwards?

He's shown before that he's not overly concerned about money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

WarZ wrote: »
    In fairness Man United are a step down from Juventus so why would he go backwards?

He's shown before that he's not overly concerned about money.

giphy.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement