Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Exactly. Charlton was United and Englands top goalscorer ever and helped them to not only win the league 3 times, but also to win the European cup and the FA cup. Come back to me about statues when Rooney can match that sort of record for us!

I'm not sure if you were messing but you do know Rooney is the all time top scorer for England, is almost the top scorer for United, has won plenty of leagues and a European cup with United...

RobertKK wrote: »
    For a bit of fun...with Neymar in the team (which will not happen)

De Gea
    Fosu Mensah--Smalling--Bailly--Shaw
    Schneiderlin--Carrick----
    Mkhitaryan---Martial---Neymar
    Ibrahimovic

Pogba didn't move, Darmian went to Chelsea, Rooney is a sub...

Don't think I would put martial no10, swap with ibrahimovic

No, Roy actually insisted the club send out a correcting statement to fans after it had initially looked to partially blame ticket hikes on his new deal. He never did anything remotely like Rooney with regard to contracts.

Also, ransom? He was never the highest paid player in his position in the league never mind European standards!

Keane was the first player in England to break the 50k a week wage signing a deal worth 52k a week.

Rooney was the most marketable player for Man Utd and England, no way United were going to sell, no way was Rooney going to accept less than he knew he was worth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Pretty sure Keane was Uniteds highest paid player for most the time he was there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

giphy.gif

United aren't even in the Champions League and came fifth in their league. Juventus are Italian league champions and we're in the European Cup final last year.

Pogba is going to trade in European finals for the Europa league now?

He is playing for a club that has more pedigree and has been and continues to be consistently at the top of Europe and their league.

I don't see why he would trade that in for anyone less than Bayern, Madrid, Barcelona.

That's not a slight on Man Utd. I just put Juventus up their with the big 3. Italian football and its team are always written off by British media so I can see why many don't feel the same, the euros is a prime example!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

For a bit of fun...with Neymar in the team (which will not happen)

De Gea
    Fosu Mensah--Smalling--Bailly--Shaw
    Schneiderlin--Carrick----
    Mkhitaryan---Martial---Neymar
    Ibrahimovic

Pogba didn't move, Darmian went to Chelsea, Rooney is a sub...

A fantasy line up and that midfield two still look horrific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Juan8 wrote: »
    Pretty sure Keane was Uniteds highest paid player for most the time he was there

Didn't he have a clause in his contract that no-one could be on more than him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

WarZ wrote: »
    United aren't even in the Champions League and came fifth in their league. Juventus are Italian league champions and we're in the European Cup final last year.

Pogba is going to trade in European finals for the Europa league now?

He is playing for a club that has more pedigree and has been and continues to be consistently at the top of Europe and their league.

I don't see why he would trade that in for anyone less than Bayern, Madrid, Barcelona.

That's not a slight on Man Utd. I just put Juventus up their with the big 3. Italian football and its team are always written off by British media so I can see why many don't feel the same, the euros is a prime example!

29mq1xe.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Just agree lads, it might be over quickly this time. Juventus are better than United in every facet, their history and standing in the game included. Sure United only won 2 leagues or something.

• Advertisement

Speaking of Sir Bobby, I asked him the other day how the team of 66 would have done against Iceland, he told me they "would have won 1-0"

"1-0" I said a bit taken aback.

He said well yes, "we are all in our 70's now"

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

In fairness Man United are a step down from Juventus so why would he go backwards?

You've already done this one. I suggest keeping notes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

In fairness Juve and United are very similar. Juve have biggest fan Base in Italy, both had their tradegies and most successful clubs domestically

I have United as bigger club but Juve are big club with great tradition

bangkok wrote: »
    Speaking of Sir Bobby, I asked him the other day how the team of 66 would have done against Iceland, he told me they "would have won 1-0"

"1-0" I said a bit taken aback.

He said well yes, "we are all in our 70's now"

:pac:

So this week we learned that you take your lineups from sky and your jokes from the humour thread :):):)

paulbok wrote: »
    Didn't he have a clause in his contract that no-one could be on more than him?

Yeah that's what I've always heard myself, pretty sure when we signed Rio that Roy got a pay rise cause of it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

adox wrote: »
    A fantasy line up and that midfield two still look horrific.

I know.
    It is why the Neymar story is pure crap.
    The midfield needs investment.

In fairness Juve and United are very similar. Juve have biggest fan Base in Italy, both had their tradegies and most successful clubs domestically

I have United as bigger club but Juve are big club with great tradition

Torino had the plane crash not Juventus but I'm guessing you mean Heysel obviously on second thought :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

In fairness Man United are a step down from Juventus so why would he go backwards?

He's shown before that he's not overly concerned about money.

LOL ah jaysus here we go again with your ludicrous comments juve are a bigger club than united

Cringe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Seriously only now you're only tellingg us your besties with Bobby....

WTF

Most un Bangkok of you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

since we are nearly at 10000 posts can we start a new thread now to run concurrently with this one and let War Z argue with himself over Juve here?

• Advertisement

OK so fantasy line up based on some of today's headlines

De gea
    Damian Varane Bailly Shaw
    Schweini Pogba
    Micky Ryan Neymar Martial
    Ibra

Romero, Smalling, Jones, Rooney , Morgan, rashers , James

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

brinty wrote: »

De gea
    Schweini Pogba
    Ibra

Wilson?

Based on todays rumours, James Rodriguez wants to link up with Emery at PSG

astradave wrote:
    Based on todays rumours, James Rodriguez wants to link up with Emery at PSG

There's only one James "hames" Rodriguez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

brinty wrote: »

De gea
    Schweini Pogba
    Ibra

Who's this Damian guy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Kinda related to Utd question. I noticed the scousers have a black away kit and black mixed with red and white in the training top on Mane today. They just wanna be Utd or what?

Very strange to my mind but maybe somebody had a reason for it. Will Cork hurlers trot out in red with black and amber collars next year? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Lads not trying to derail but am hoping to head over next month for the charity shield. I need 3 tickets, anyone any advice on where to look. Hoping to bring the two young fellers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Cotts72

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,628 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Sooner this saga ends the better

It will never end.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Cotts72 wrote: »

L'Equippe are tier one, so seems truth in it. Certainly think we want him (and think Ed would love to have a world record signing) and think The agent wants it too. Just don't know if he does.

Don't care bout the price though. We get him and I expect to see us lifting a trophy next season with the way the summer is working out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lord TSC wrote: »
    L'Equippe are tier one, so seems truth in it. Certainly think we want him (and think Ed would love to have a world record signing) and think The agent wants it too. Just don't know if he does.

Don't care bout the price though. We get him and I expect to see us lifting a trophy next season with the way the summer is working out...
    I seen an interview with him before the Euros and he was saying all nice things about Manchester and how much he loves it there.

Jesus lad we'll have spent a billion in record time at the rate the red tops are going

Bailly 30m paid

Pogba 120
    Neymar 150-200
    James 50
    Micky Ryan 35
    Kroos 50
    Varane 30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The mornings papers saying Giggs is in talks over a pay off and will leave the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

L'equipe are saying Mourinho will play a 4-3-3 with Pogba and Rooney in midfield and you know the rest - Mkhitaryan and Martial as wingers and Zlatan the striker.

RobertKK wrote:
    L'equipe are saying Mourinho will play a 4-3-3 with Pogba and Rooney in midfield and you know the rest - Mkhitaryan and Martial as wingers and Zlatan the striker.

Who's the third man in the first three
    Pogba-Morgan/Schweini/Carrick-Rooney

Micky Ryan-Zlatan-Tony Marshall

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

We have no chance of Pogba joining us.

There will be crap in the media for a few weeks then Madrid will get it done in 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

The name 'Mickey Ryan' irks me :o

Sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Beggers belief that Gill didn't arrange a buyback clause with Juve....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

TheDoc wrote:

For Pogba? He joined Juve as a free agent didn't he?

TheDoc wrote: »

We didn't sell him or allow him to leave he was out of contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

zerks wrote: »
    The mornings papers saying Giggs is in talks over a pay off and will leave the club.

Why exactly is he still at the club?

Are all of Van Gaals other coaches and assistants still there? How long does the pay-off for a glorified scout take?

You will have heard a thousand times of a manager getting sacked and his assistants leaving at the same time, I see no reason why this should be any different or why it should drag out in any way. off you go Ryan, before you taint your legacy by hanging around like a bad smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

People setting themselves up for disappointment thinking we are signing Pogba.

Some people must love heartbreak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Why exactly is he still at the club?

Are all of Van Gaals other coaches and assistants still there? How long does the pay-off for a glorified scout take?

You will have heard a thousand times of a manager getting sacked and his assistants leaving at the same time, I see no reason why this should be any different or why it should drag out in any way. off you go Ryan, before you taint your legacy by hanging around like a bad smell.

It is clearly an obviously different as Giggs is a United appointment, not a LVG team member. When you see full coaching teams leave, it is because that coaching team is intrinsically linked to the manager that has just left. That is obviously not the case with Giggs - Giggs is someone United want to position to become manager of the club. You don't have to like it, but to pretend it isn't different is just stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

That'd be a sure fire way of ruining a possibly good sode. Pogba and Rooney in Midfield together? Shouldn'ty be done, Rooney should be up front/off the striker or on the bench or sold, not a midfielder. Pogba is a really good player but his best won't be shown unless he's got a real good midfielder with him to do a lot of the grunt work whilst being able to play too (like the old Schweinsteiger) otherwise he'll be less effective in my opinion.
    Pogba Is a real good player but as bad as it sounds he's too attack minded and willing to take risks to be the main presence in midfield, him beside Rooney would be carcrash stuff with them trying to outdo each other, Pogba trying to beat 3 men and hit it in from 30 yards while Rooney tries ping about 40-50 yard balls every time he gets it :rolleyes: All the while both them forgetting the other side can break at pace.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Ladies and gentlemen, may I remind you. We have brought in Bailly and Jose. That's it. You're setting yourselves up for heartbreak with some of the lineups.

I do think we will make signings before Jose officially starts but for now, I'm going to wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

The important bit i left out regards Pogba was i don't think there's a cat in hells chance we get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I think pogba is a great player but is he worth that kinda money if he is drawn to madrid in 3 years? We always get a bum deal selling players it seems and i hate that.

People were saying here he would be well worth that money for a player that would be in that position for next 8 years and i agreed but seeing the articles saying he wants real have me riled tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If he went to Real and we got Kroos I be very happy

jayo26 wrote: »
    We didn't sell him or allow him to leave he was out of contract.

Oh I thought he went for a few hundred k. Was that just compo stuff?

If he went to Real and we got Kroos I be very happy

If we were ready to splash €120m on Pogba (all paper talk so likely not even remotely true) then we should have no problems taking Kroos from Madrid, with a €50-60m bid. And he would be worth every penny.

Bar a major upset, he is "Kroosing" his way to player of the tournament.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement