Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Ladies and gentlemen, may I remind you. We have brought in Bailly and Jose. That's it. You're setting yourselves up for heartbreak with some of the lineups.

I do think we will make signings before Jose officially starts but for now, I'm going to wait and see.
    Just tell us we're not signing
    Zlatan
    Micky Ryan
    Pogba
    Varane
    James
    etc

You know it'll make us all happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Varane, Pogba, Neymar, Ibra coming in.

Jesus, show some ambition, would you?

With my serious hat on though, Jose's gonna make sure he has a good spine.

DDG, Bailey, Schneiderlin, Striker.

I think you still need the striker. I know Rahsford and Martial have shown themselves to be excellent and full of potential but I could see him get in a finished striker.

Of all the optimistic deals, a short term on for Ibra seems to be the most realistic.

But could the king/legend etc submit to the will of the special one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

gosplan wrote: »
    Varane, Pogba, Neymar, Ibra coming in.

Jesus, show some ambition, would you?

With my serious hat on though, Jose's gonna make sure he has a good spine.

DDG, Bailey, Schneiderlin, Striker.

I think you still need the striker. I know Rahsford and Martial have shown themselves to be excellent and full of potential but I could see him get in a finished striker.

Of all the optimistic deals, a short term on for Ibra seems to be the most realistic.

But could the king/legend etc submit to the will of the special one?

Again?

club-zlatan-ibrahimovic-mourinho_3028309.jpg?20140402120316

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

"Jose Mourinho is a big star. He’d been my manager at Inter. He’s nice. The first time he met my partner Helena, he whispered to her: ‘Helena, you have only one mission: feed Zlatan, let him sleep, keep him happy.’ That guy says whatever he wants. I like him. He’s the leader of his army. But he cares, too. He would text me all the time at Inter, wondering how I was doing. He’s the exact opposite of Pep Guardiola.
    If Mourinho lights up a room, Guardiola draws the curtains. I guessed that Guardiola was trying to match up to him.
    Mourinho would become a guy I was basically willing to die for." - Zlatan on Jose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It is clearly an obviously different as Giggs is a United appointment, not a LVG team member. When you see full coaching teams leave, it is because that coaching team is intrinsically linked to the manager that has just left. That is obviously not the case with Giggs - Giggs is someone United want to position to become manager of the club. You don't have to like it, but to pretend it isn't different is just stupid.

Stupid?

Your post is just (******REDACTED******) that doesn't actually explain why Giggs has some sort of tenure, or why Jose would accept a club stooge as a permanent member of his first team coaching staff. It doesn't explain why there needs to be serious negotiations should the circumstances change and it doesn't explain why Giggs himself thinks that the situation makes him look anything but bad.

No, your post is "Its different just because". "He's still there just because". Very smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/748426133599817728

A friendly in Sweden? Must be coz of Ibrahimovic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I knew when I seen Marsbar had posted something special had happened :)

Sweden sounds like a tie in with zlatan alright But didn't we play there in preseason a few years ago too? Or am I imagining?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

It is clearly an obviously different as Giggs is a United appointment, not a LVG team member. When you see full coaching teams leave, it is because that coaching team is intrinsically linked to the manager that has just left. That is obviously not the case with Giggs - Giggs is someone United want to position to become manager of the club. You don't have to like it, but to pretend it isn't different is just stupid.

I agree that Giggs' situation is different to that of the other members of LVG's team, not to mention Moyes'. But how do we know that Giggs is being 'positioned' to become manager of the club? I'm not having a pop at you because it's a widely-held belief that Giggs will one day take over, but what's that based on?

Are we only going by what it looks like. And to be fair, it does look like they're keen to hold onto him for one reason or another. But I'm always suspicious of these 'soundings' emanating from within the club that apparently indicate one thing or another. It's not too long ago that 'senior figures' and 'sources' within the club, up to and including Bobby Charlton and Alex Ferguson, were dismissing the mere idea of Jose Mourinho taking charge.

Ultimately, the fans are the last to find out. So who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

jayo26 wrote: »
    I knew when I seen Marsbar had posted something special had happened :)

Sweden sounds like a tie in with zlatan alright But didn't we play there in preseason a few years ago too? Or am I imagining?

You're right, we did in 2013!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Mars Bar wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/748426133599817728

A friendly in Sweden? Must be coz of Ibrahimovic!

100% it is. United are massive, Ibrahimovic is massive, in his home country, match made in heaven and jersey sales in sweden will be through the roof

bangkok wrote: »
    100% it is. United are massive, Ibrahimovic is massive, in his home country, match made in heaven and jersey sales in sweden will be through the roof

#ZLATON

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Stupid?

Your post is just (******REDACTED******) that doesn't actually explain why Giggs has some sort of tenure, or why Jose would accept a club stooge as a permanent member of his first team coaching staff. It doesn't explain why there needs to be serious negotiations should the circumstances change and it doesn't explain why Giggs himself thinks that the situation makes him look anything but bad.

No, your post is "Its different just because". "He's still there just because". Very smart.
    You asked why GIggs is different to any of the coaching staff LVG brought in. He is different because he wasn't brought in by LVG, he wasn't an LVG appointment. Same way he didn't leave when Moyes left - he is a staff member being positioned by the United hierarchy, not by the manager.

Again, you don't have to like it - but it is still stupid to rant and assert you can't understand why Giggs wasn't treated the same as LVGs team of staff. It is fecking obvious why it is different.

Pickpocket wrote: »
    I agree that Giggs' situation is different to that of the other members of LVG's team, not to mention Moyes'. But how do we know that Giggs is being 'positioned' to become manager of the club? I'm not having a pop at you because it's a widely-held belief that Giggs will one day take over, but what's that based on?

Are we only going by what it looks like. And to be fair, it does look like they're keen to hold onto him for one reason or another. But I'm always suspicious of these 'soundings' emanating from within the club that apparently indicate one thing or another. It's not too long ago that 'senior figures' and 'sources' within the club, up to and including Bobby Charlton and Alex Ferguson, were dismissing the mere idea of Jose Mourinho taking charge.

Ultimately, the fans are the last to find out. So who knows?

Red Issue, all the papers and Andy Mitten (who is very close to the Giggs camp - his Giggs propaganda in the UWS editorials was a bit much last season imo) have long asserted that Giggs was told the plan was for him to take over from LVG. He also had an interview for the job pre-Jose according to the same. I'm taking it is fact, you don't need to.

jayo26 wrote: »
    #ZLATON

#ZLATDONE

also seen this morning and dont shot the messenger.....

"fellaini to galatasaray for sneijder" :)

• Advertisement

#ZLATDONE

Copying me now eh.

You asked why GIggs is different to any of the coaching staff LVG brought in.

I asked "why is he still there?" and then illustrated the question. And you still have not answered that question beyond "Because he just is". You don't have to answer the question but don't label it "stupid" unless you are prepared to do so.

And I simply asked a question. I guess when you do nothing but rant then everything else you read gets colored as a rant as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Oh not him again :eek::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Id rather keep Fellaini. The sneijder ship has sailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I asked "why is he still there?" and then illustrated the question. And you still have not answered that question beyond "Because he just is". You don't have to answer the question but don't label it "stupid" unless you are prepared to do so.

And I simply asked a question. I guess when you do nothing but rant then everything else you read gets colored as a rant as well.

So what you asked was "Why is Giggs still there when LVG has been removed?"

I think he answered that.

What you meant to ask was "Given the board deemed LVG's performance to be unacceptable and terminated his contract, why have they not reached the same conclusion with Giggs?"

The answer is that obviously they have a different relationship with Giggs, likely based on different loyalties or parameters, that means they don't wish to terminate his contract just yet.

I know you might say that I'm being pedantic in rephrasing the question you clearly asked, and I am. I understood you, as I'm sure most people did. I also understood Mitch's misreading of your question, but think he's either being intentionally obtuse or hilariously literal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Lads, who the hell is Micky Ryan?

This is what you said:

"You will have heard a thousand times of a manager getting sacked and his assistants leaving at the same time, I see no reason why this should be any different or why it should drag out in any way"

The reason it is different is because in the thousand other times the assistant left with the manager is because they work as a team and were brought in by the manager. You will see load of other situations where the assistant manager was a club person (like Giggs) and they stay after the manager is sacked/leaves - quite often in a care-taker capacity. It isn't unusual.

Giggs is different to the other LVG coaches/assistants because the context of his appointment is completely different.

Giggs was handed to Moyes as a member of the coaching staff and he stayed after Moyes left. Same thing this time around.

Again, you don't have to like that he is treated differently to the other staff, but I can't understand why you think his position is the exact same.

Why is he still there - because clearly the United hierarchy would like to keep him involved at the club and wanted him, at some point, to take over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Who is this Micky Ryan lad everyone keeps bringing up??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/James_1005/status/748453165553573888

Some of the replies are gas: "Bollocks,receipt or Bullshit".:pac:

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Lads, who the hell is Micky Ryan?
    Irishcrx wrote: »
    Who is this Micky Ryan lad everyone keeps bringing up??

Henrikh Mkhitaryan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henrikh_Mkhitaryan :D

OT but is boards screwy for anybody else. I'm on desktop legacy site and I can't seem to view the last pages of threads?

hopefully this season now when playing the likes of Hull and Bournemouth at home we really go on the offensive. Playing villa last season at home with 1 striker and 2 holding midfielders was laughable. Would like to see something like this against the "weaker" teams at home

5774fa7cc9216.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Why hire Mourinho if we still need to spend another two or three hundred million on players? Surely the best manager in the world (or at least one of the best) should be able to fashion a side capable of challenging for the title from what we have with a little bit of investment?

On Giggs...if he leaves the club he becomes no more likely to be United manager than Steve Bruce, Mark Hughes, Paul Ince, Roy Keane, Ole Solskjaer or any other legend you want to mention, if you ask me. If the club is keeping him around to avoid this almost inevitable scenario then it's plain wrong.

Mourinho without Giggs in the backroom staff will be true new era stuff, SAF influence in dressing room would be completely gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/James_1005/status/748453165553573888

Some of the replies are gas: "Bollocks,receipt or Bullshit".:pac:

Poor Martial! Number stripped off him after 1 season

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Poor Martial! Number stripped off him after 1 season

once you pay the money, you can get any name or number printed on a jersey.

• Advertisement

So what you asked was "Why is Giggs still there when LVG has been removed?"

I think he answered that.

What you meant to ask was "Given the board deemed LVG's performance to be unacceptable and terminated his contract, why have they not reached the same conclusion with Giggs?"

The answer is that obviously they have a different relationship with Giggs, likely based on different loyalties or parameters, that means they don't wish to terminate his contract just yet.

I know you might say that I'm being pedantic in rephrasing the question you clearly asked, and I am. I understood you, as I'm sure most people did. I also understood Mitch's misreading of your question, but think he's either being intentionally obtuse or hilariously literal.

I actually didn't want to frame it in terms of LVG as we all know LVG didn't bring him in to begin with, but I thought it would have illustrated the point a little. Just stupid I guess.

So the question as I asked it is indeed "why is he still there?". And not only why was he ever there in the first place, but why does there need to be any particular negotiations about his departure? He is simply a coach, one who has seemingly done little as a coach for 2 different managers. All of the other coaches involved with those managers have gone, and there is a new manager in now with his own coaches who hasn't publicly stated he wants Giggs around.

To add to all that, I don't think Giggs is doing anything for his own reputation by hanging around, the longer he clings to the club in this fashion the less impressive his credentials would appear.

So why is he still there? Why didn't these "negotiations" take place a month ago? What is there even to discuss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

The utter devastation of missing out on Euro 2016 can't be easy to handle

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/748458058158858241

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

For the love of your chosen deity would Giggs leave the club.

Or is he hanging on in the hope England offer Jose the managers job and he can slither in to replace him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It is being reported that L'equipe are saying Pogba always planned to return to United as part of his career plan.

RobertKK wrote: »
    It is being reported that L'equipe are saying Pogba always planned to return to United as part of his career plan.

yep

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

What do we think about taking Pogba for 2/3 years knowing full well he wants a move to Madrid after that?

Glazers probably happy enough to outlay £100m knowing they'll at least recoup it again.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

TheDoc wrote: »

Could do without ever seeing Herrera and Schneiderlin in the same team ever again.

Delboy5 wrote: »
    What do we think about taking Pogba for 2/3 years knowing full well he wants a move to Madrid after that?

Glazers probably happy enough to outlay £100m knowing they'll at least recoup it again.....

Isn't one of the few justifications for the insane money quoted that Pogba will develop into one of the worlds best footballers? If we only had him 3 years then we would only have him during his good but developing stage, not his world class stage, so no, we shouldn't be paying world class money for him whether we would recoup it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Red Issue, all the papers and Andy Mitten (who is very close to the Giggs camp - his Giggs propaganda in the UWS editorials was a bit much last season imo) have long asserted that Giggs was told the plan was for him to take over from LVG. He also had an interview for the job pre-Jose according to the same. I'm taking it is fact, you don't need to.

Thanks for shedding some light on it.

No, I won't take what 'all the papers' say as fact, that would be naive in the extreme, although the Andy Mitten link is interesting as it's somewhat concrete.

OT but is boards screwy for anybody else. I'm on desktop legacy site and I can't seem to view the last pages of threads?

Touch site was acting up,my real annoyance is those "Go Vegan" ads.At least the laptop has adblock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Same here. Can't get to the last page of this one. Very similar to when boards was under attack a few months back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

TheDoc wrote: »
    If we were ready to splash €120m on Pogba (all paper talk so likely not even remotely true) then we should have no problems taking Kroos from Madrid, with a €50-60m bid. And he would be worth every penny.

Bar a major upset, he is "Kroosing" his way to player of the tournament.

Kroos has been good but Payet has been outstanding. Should France make the final it'll be Payet player of the tournament.

Anyway I'd love kroos as well and think he's very gettable, Madrid have a habit of getting bored with players and not really knowing what they have. Selling robben and sneijder that time was crazy and I laughed hard when both went onto win the champions league before Madrid.

Need a new thread me thinks

• Advertisement

Same here. Can't get to the last page of this one. Very similar to when boards was under attack a few months back.

I changed to touch site and it was ok. I'm back on desktop site and it seems to be ok again now

Surprise,surprise,Neymar to sign new Barca deal.

https://twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/748500108560506880

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I know there is a separate thread for tickets but curious on the chances of getting community shield tickets tomorrow?

Hococop wrote: »
    I know there is a separate thread for tickets but curious on the chances of getting community shield tickets tomorrow?

From a poster on Redcafe ticket thread:
    Has there been any additional announcement regarding qualification for Community Shield tickets? The details that I have seen so far, suggest we are getting 27K tickets but only this qualification:-

Applications for Season Ticket holders and Executive Club Members, and those supporters with accessible seating requirements will open at 8am,
    Friday 1st July

If this is the case, we are talking of 50k+ supporters being able to apply for 27k tickets, a far worse % than was presented for the FA Cup games at Wembley. That was difficult enough without paying over the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

zerks wrote: »
    From a poster on Redcafe ticket thread:

So not good it seems

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement