Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

It was a meeting for something to do with SAF being the Head of the UEFA Coaches panel. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

Think that Poch link is merely football men meeting up rather than a sign of any managerial movement. Poch believes he hasn't seen the full potential of that young Spurs team and would like to see where it takes him.
    Van Gaal needs to go but it should not be José who replaces him in my mind. Who else is a different question altogether... Maybe die hards are of a different opinion but with a lot of the usual names that used to be thrown around either retiring or locked in elsewhere is Rafa a ridiculous name to throw in the mix? Experience at the highest level, can make a team defensively solid without completely sacrificing attacking intent. At this stage we need a logical appointment, can the core of United fans row in behind such a candidate and give him the space needed to make his mark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2015/2016/morgan_schneiderlin/165/165/724/38/p|premier_league/2014/2015/morgan_schneiderlin/126/126/724/43/p|premier_league/2012/2013/morgan_schneiderlin/126/2/724/43/p#total_score/total_forward_passes/total_backward_passes/successful_passes/pass_completion/key_passes/goals_scored/total_shots/shot_accuracy/tackles_won/tackles_lost/successful_take_ons/successful_take_ons_%/aerial_duels_won/aerial_duels_won_%/total_duels_%/fouls_committed/interceptions#avg

Schneiderlin has regressed under LVG.Remember when he first joined? He was a different player than what we see now.The same could be said of quite a few players.His cautious,keep the ball at any cost tactics have stifled players who seem afraid to go out and play football and are instead confined to this 'by the numbers' rubbish that we have to endure week in week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Tssk wrote: »
    Think that Poch link is merely football men meeting up rather than a sign of any managerial movement.

Still an interesting story, just for the history repeating itself aspect - Pochettino verbally agreed a new deal with spurs. Funny to think of Ferguson all these years later pulling off these sneaky fast ones like with Keane and Blackburn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Fergie was and perhaps is still involved in the LMA I think, at one point he held the position of chairman or some such but he was in London regularly for meetings and in fact I had a chance encounter with him just stood outside Euston station a few years ago. An absolute gentleman and explained what he had been up to and was patient and good natured enough to laugh off my star struck excitement and listened patiently to my advise as to who we should sign that summer... thinking back now... #cringe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Feel sick on way to work this morning

Just so disheartening last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Think that Poch link is merely football men meeting up rather than a sign of any managerial movement. Poch believes he hasn't seen the full potential of that young Spurs team and would like to see where it takes him.
    Van Gaal needs to go but it should not be José who replaces him in my mind. Who else is a different question altogether... Maybe die hards are of a different opinion but with a lot of the usual names that used to be thrown around either retiring or locked in elsewhere is Rafa a ridiculous name to throw in the mix? Experience at the highest level, can make a team defensively solid without completely sacrificing attacking intent. At this stage we need a logical appointment, can the core of United fans row in behind such a candidate and give him the space needed to make his mark?

Are ya having a laugh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭CantonasCollar

In the cold light of a new day, the result from last night seems even worse.

The only positive to take from it is that it is yet another nail in the coffin (does anyone know if we have an official coffin partner?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Was awful stuff last night, we really should have been stuffed by 3 or 4 goals.

Can only see things getting worse before they get better with the current regime, we'll most likely blow another 100 million in the summer on average players.

Since Fergie left our main strategy has been to try buy ourselves back to the top of the table.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Van Gaal has bought in a lot of players, does anyone think any of them has justified their price?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Juan8 wrote: »
    Anyone complaining about how they're acting in that video honestly get a life

No.

They are professionals and represent the club.

Let them have a laugh if they want put posting it on social media is pathetic.

You would expect it from schoolboys, not adults.

Lingard has been a thorn in my footballing side all season, he thinks he is infinitely better than he his.

This and a number of others are at the precipice of their career with United and they are simply not good enough.

The axe needs to fall on the entire back room staff and a number of the outfield players.

Its unacceptable.

Can you imagine this type of carry on happening under Fergie?

No bloody chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Van Gaal has bought in a lot of players, does anyone think any of them has justified their price?

Only Martial, we got a bargain too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Rojo, Memphis, Schneidelein and Blind have been disappointing, all LVG signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

HOw on earth anyone can argue for keeping Van Gaal is beyond me - if United don't get rid of him as soon as the season finishes it is nothing less than an accepting of failure, an accepting that we simply don't want to be a top club anymore. Van Gaal must go, there is simply no logical argument against that. Woodward should be held to account too - he should have had the balls to sack the dutch fraud in December and look to save the season; where we are at now is of no surprise.

It is infuriating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Very few are in all fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

he should have had the balls to sack the dutch fraud in December and look to save the season;

The most infuriating thing is that it wouldn't have taken much saving.

It wouldn't even have been a big risky move by the board, nothing like Southampton replacing Atkins with Pochettino or Leicester replacing Pearson with Ranieri. They removed managers doing well and replaced them with unknown quantities, we would have been removing a manager doing pure crap and replacing him with one of the elite managers in the entire world. Had we just done it we would be in the CL next season, no doubt about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

No.

Lingard has been a thorn in my footballing side all season, he thinks he is infinitely better than he his.

This and a number of others are at the precipice of their career with United and they are simply not good enough.

The axe needs to fall on the entire back room staff and a number of the outfield players.

Its unacceptable.

No bloody chance.

Football has either turned tasteless or we're just getting old. Some of these footballers are still youngsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Juan8 wrote: »
    Anyone complaining about how they're acting in that video honestly get a life

No chance. You obviously don't know much about football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

On duty as a player only an hour and a half or so before the biggest game of the season. He should be concentrating on the task at hand like a professional.
    Here we see him act the child making a mockery of the club. Heck gaa teams here have more professionalism before games than this tulip.

The team bus being attacked by opposing fans and first thing he thinks of doing is pulling out his phone to show he's have a great time. He is totally deluded as are a lot of his team mates under this management I'd imagine.

too much cash thrown at these youngins, they dont give a shít....i cant believe they acted that way on the team bus and were allowed too.. where are the senior players and/or coaches to tell them to sit da fook down ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

mada999 wrote: »
    too much cash thrown at these youngins, they dont give a shít....i cant believe they acted that way on the team bus and were allowed too.. where are the senior players and/or coaches to tell them to sit da fook down ??

They all just go home to their massive houses and update their statues to, hard luck this time. If we continue to work hard, we'll be better next time. Obviously winning is just an extra bonus for some of them.

It was a meeting for something to do with SAF being the Head of the UEFA Coaches panel. That's all.

hopefully!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

Lukasz Fabianski has revealed he will join Ashley Williams, Neil Taylor and Gylfi Sigurdsson in sitting out Swansea vs. City this weekend.

Oh dear

Football has either turned tasteless or we're just getting old. Some of these footballers are still youngsters.

isnt yer man lingaard - 23 years old ? maybe if he was 18 or maybe 20 give him the benefit of the doubt but 23.... no respect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

LVG has been unable to justify why he should be United Manager.

Woodward is unable to justify giving LVG a third go winning the league.

Half the players have been unable to justify why they should be even on the pitch.

Get rid and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

No.

Its unacceptable.

No bloody chance.

No matter how a player is performing, social media is still going to part of their lives. Times have changed my friend. And I don't know what you're on about thinking that Lingard holds himself higher than some of his teammates! That's just bizarre and untrue. And finally yes I can imagine this type of thing going on with Fergie- nobody complained about it though probably because we would win games with Ferguson

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Sure years ago there were player players who would have a few alcoholic drinks on the day of the game and that was before they played.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Have no problem with the video. When your bus is being attacked like that, you're going to react, and I'd rather see them mocking the situation than being terrified or anything. The issue I'd find is that after the joking round, it should have been galvanized into a passionate performance, be that the job of LVG as manager, Giggs as assistant manager or Rooney as captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Have no problem with the video. When your bus is being attacked like that, you're going to react, and I'd rather see them mocking the situation than being terrified or anything. The issue I'd find is that after the joking round, it should have been galvanized into a passionate performance, be that the job of LVG as manager, Giggs as assistant manager or Rooney as captain.

I'm in work now so now so no can't get sound on the video. Can you hear what Lingard is saying, if so what is he saying? I think it was a bit foolish to be filming the situation. It was obviously gonna get some flack if the result didn't go our way. The players really didn't seem like they had their head in the game in the first half at all. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I just want the manager gone. Nothing else to add.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

And the best part of the lot is the one youngster in the video was actually chilling back on his chair not giving a fuk.

I dont give a hoot about players enjoying themselves but these players were on their way to a must win game a game that was so important to the club to qualify for champs league and we had lingard acting like a teenager while the bus is been attacked by few thousand fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Abundantly obvious that this United team don't have what it takes in terms of leadership. Only Rooney and maybe Carrick with any sort of leadership qualities. The rest are either too young or too mediocre.

Presume this is why Schweinsteiger was brought in but they need about 3 more leaders in that team who would have grabbed it by the balls last night and seen off West Ham once they went ahead. Its the single biggest weakness they have at present.

I'm sure Keane, Bruce, Cantona, Vidic, Evra, Neville etc must be cringing over their corn flakes watching the carry on on the bus, thinking "get a f*cking grip and at least pretend you're not a schoolkid" after watching that capitulation last night.

Spineless. ITs more than LVG needs to go.

A West Ham fans view on United after the game.Can't argue with anything he says.

We need a new centre back.
    We need a new central midfielder, maybe two.
    We need a new right winger.
    We need a new striker.
    We possibly need a new right back.

Above all we need a new manager.

I just hope Woodward FINALLY does the needfull and sacks LVG May 23rd, and gets his replacement in ASAP. We can't afford another wasted summer like 2014 or 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

dont see why people have an issue with the video. bus they are travelling on is getting smashed up, serious threat of injury and a good target for a terrorist attack. it was a normal reaction for a group of players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Abysmal. Only way to describe that. The chance to cling to European football and the team goes missing. How Rooney is allowed to captain that team is beyond me. You wouldn't have had Keano or Vidic putting up with a team performing like that for both halves of football.

There are so many sub-par players and such a lack of squad depth that it's frightening to think how long it's going to take to consistently challenge in England let alone Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Most people are getting up in arms over the video because we lost. Had we won it would have been a hilarious video.

We need a new centre back.
    We need a new central midfielder, maybe two.
    We need a new right winger.
    We need a new striker.
    We possibly need a new right back.

Above all we need a new manager.

I just hope Woodward FINALLY does the needfull and sacks LVG May 23rd, and gets his replacement in ASAP. We can't afford another wasted summer like 2014 or 2015.

Midfield is ok if LVG let the players actually play,never mind his belief that the players stay inside an invisible circle and can't use their natural instincts.Imagine if LVG signed Kante-would he be the same player that covers every blade of grass? I doubt it.
    LVG leaves natural midfielders on the bench and plays Rooney in midfield which has failed time and again.
    We need a top striker to compliment Martial and Rashford.Fergie always had 4 strikers and we saw what happened at Norwich when Rooney was our only recognised CF and he whined about playing there.
    We are resigned to playing a midfielder at CB,either that or Rojo and the kids.

The biggest signing though has to be a new manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Rooney needs to go he is not fast enough to lead the line, Martial has been great since Rashford came in and his pace is creating space. He is not a midfielder he picks up the ball and hits a 40 yard pass 20 times a game with one or two coming off it is so easy to defend against.

Rojo a disgrace, blind needs to be a rotation option.

I would be willing to give darmian, depay, schnedirlan another year they all looked great before joining.and also Herrera he has looked good at tines when we played attacking football

Need a cb, cm and striker and a right winger who walk into the first 11 and improve it.

• Advertisement

Most people are getting up in arms over the video because we lost. Had we won it would have been a hilarious video.

If he had been crying,he'd be called a pussy.I've seen lads laughing at similar things.It's no biggie imo.
    The onfield display was more shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Lord TSC wrote: »

I'd agree with this, if they won you could say they were fired up by the occasion and channelled the energy into the game. It shouldn't have distracted them enough to put them off and it was always going to be a tense atmosphere for West Ham's last home game.

They were rattled though, and couldn't deal with the predictable tactics of hoofing it to Carroll. I'm surprised we didn't give away a penalty for the hands from Smalling all over him for every corner or set piece. That's just not good enough. Two goals was a very kind reflection of our performance, we were dire and only for some excellent one on one skills from de Gea (and some shocking last touches from West Ham) were we not 5 or 6 down.

If Woodward and co. don't sack van Gaal we're destined for another season of shíte football with no one wanting to sign for us. We also need to get Giggs out. He needs to take some responsibility but also needs to take on the full time role at another club (probably in the Championship) and get some experience of the tough decisions.

All in all a microcosm of our season and the last couple of seasons. Not. Good. Enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

No.

Its unacceptable.

No bloody chance.

So basically you find nothing wrong with it apart from the fact that they put it on social media where fans could see it,

If you're in a situation like that you're going to record it these days, it's honestly that simple,
    Pheonix10 wrote: »
    No chance. You obviously don't know much about football.

So because I think that what they done in recording an out of the ordinary situation that they themselves are involved in is normal enough these days I don't know much about football, good logic

I know far more than you btw
    mada999 wrote: »

Yeah, sit down so if a brick does come through the window you'll get it in the side of the head, genius

Its the attitude Flint they were kids in the crowd for beeb sake and Lingard was acting a teenager.

It even looks as a senior official on the bus was actually asking the players to sit on the floor thats how they end up there.

Course the result bugs me but that video leaves a sour taste for me it shows whats missing in the club.. Carrick in the background should of been telling him to cop on.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Abysmal. Only way to describe that. The chance to cling to European football and the team goes missing. How Rooney is allowed to captain that team is beyond me. You wouldn't have had Keano or Vidic putting up with a team performing like that for both halves of football.

There are so many sub-par players and such a lack of squad depth that it's frightening to think how long it's going to take to consistently challenge in England let alone Europe.
    I actually think a number of them are playing poorly, rather than being poor players.

I would expect better performances from Valencia, Rojo, Herrera, Schneiderlin and Mata - though I would give up on Valencia (and get an actual right back) and give up on Rojo. Schneiderlin has a long enough history of doing a lot better in the PL, so I don't think the poor player we are seeing at the moment is the final indicator of the player he is. Same with Herrera - we have seen him play a lot better for United than he has of late - I think he can do better. Get Mata in off the wing and he improves, imo.

De Gea
    Darmian-Smalling-New CB-Shaw
    Schneiderlin
    Herrera--New CM
    New RW
    Martial
    New ST

Johnstones
    New RB-Fosu-Mensah-Blind-Borthwick Jackson
    Schweinsteiger
    New CM--Mata
    Memphis----Rooney---Rashford

With still a couple of young players to add around that squad - I would honestly be happy with that, depending on the identity of the signings, and be relatively confident it could properly compete in the league. Man for Man I don't think the Spurs, West Ham or Leicster teams are all that good - but they have a hunger and work-rate that we don't see at United, and that is the big problem, but I don't think the players themselves are lazy - I think a manager could get a lot more out of a good number of the players we already have. I don't think the squad needs a complete gutting and rebuild (though I could be wrong).

jayo26 wrote: »
    Its the attitude Flint they were kids in the crowd for beeb sake and Lingard was acting a teenager.

It even looks as a senior official on the bus was actually asking the players to sit on the floor thats how they end up there.

Course the result bugs me but that video leaves a sour taste for me it shows whats missing in the club.. Carrick in the background should of been telling him to cop on.

I'd be shocked if they weren't told to sit on the floor and move away from the windows - whatever about their laughing and joking (I have seen and can see the merit in arguments that they showed a lack of big game focus), I can absolutely see why from a safety perspective they would be told to sit on the floor - it would be crazy to think otherwise.

• Advertisement

At least our new kit launched today.

manchester-united-kit-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Seems inappropriate that they launch a kit for next season considering the current one isn't even over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

jayo26 wrote: »

Meh. I thought it was funny myself, I'd much rather that than if they all shat themselves and let the West Ham fans succeed in getting to them, not that it helped in the end.
    Do you think there was no messing about on the coach to games going back over the years? With the likes of Ronaldo and Yorke on there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

bangkok wrote: »
    dont see why people have an issue with the video. bus they are travelling on is getting smashed up, serious threat of injury and a good target for a terrorist attack. it was a normal reaction for a group of players

Terrorist attack, in all honesty where do you pull them out of.
    As for the reaction, its warranted, sure I'd probably do the same, you know what I wouldn't do? upload it to a public forum so it could be scrutinized and used as a stick to beat the club with if the result went sour.

If you're a PR/Marketing manager in Manchester United now you're fuming.

As for last night, West Ham showed more heart than we have all season, this is a chance to get champions league football, to play against the elite and put your stamp on European football and NONE of the team looked interested. Mark Noble, Mark ****ing Noble destroyed Morgan a 26 million signing and Wayne Rooney on 300k a week and England captain, they should be ashamed of themselves.

That West Ham fan hit the nail on the head in the video posted earlier. We deserve better than what we've been served this year. LVG and especially Giggs have no reason being at the club any more. Giggs needs to go out and prove himself and stop living off the coattails of other managers.

We've turned into a laughing stock of a club.

I'd be shocked if they weren't told to sit on the floor and move away from the windows - whatever about their laughing and joking (I have seen and can see the merit in arguments that they showed a lack of big game focus), I can absolutely see why from a safety perspective they would be told to sit on the floor - it would be crazy to think otherwise.

I agree i wasnt arguing the point of them on the floor I can understand that too but im saying if people on the bus felt it was that serious to put them on the floor why was a clown going around screaming for his mammy and video it to put on social media and no1 telling him to stop i thought jessie had a bit more cop on then that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement