Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

zerks wrote: »
    At least our new kit launched today.

manchester-united-kit-1.jpg

De Gea just embarrassed to be standing between the overhyped Mata and Shaw :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Meh. I thought it was funny myself, I'd much rather that than if they all shat themselves and let the West Ham fans succeed in getting to them, not that it helped in the end.
    Do you think there was no messing about on the coach to games going back over the years? With the likes of Ronaldo and Yorke on there?

Im sure they were messing back then too im not saying they shouldnt be its just the situation that they were in im sure some of the players were actually genuinely afraid last night too.

I just think it was a childish thing to be doing at that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

madcabbage wrote: »
    Seems inappropriate that they launch a kit for next season considering the current one isn't even over.

Fairly common for adidas to do so - can remember Chelsea playing their last home game in a new kit quite regularly.

Anything that heralds the end of this season, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Seems inappropriate that they launch a kit for next season considering the current one isn't even over.

What would be appropriate is if they announced a new manager.

A lot of new kits launched this week by clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Regarding the bus incident,LVG should have used it to his advantage and had an "Us vs All of that mob" mentality.Fergie would have done that and won the game.

I said that last night when the reports of the bus being attacked came out.It was along the lines of "lets smash the cnuts and ruin their fooking party".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Terrorist attack, in all honesty where do you pull them out of.
    As for the reaction, its warranted, sure I'd probably do the same, you know what I wouldn't do? upload it to a public forum so it could be scrutinized and used as a stick to beat the club with if the result went sour.

If you're a PR/Marketing manager in Manchester United now you're fuming.

As for last night, West Ham showed more heart than we have all season, this is a chance to get champions league football, to play against the elite and put your stamp on European football and NONE of the team looked interested. Mark Noble, Mark ****ing Noble destroyed Morgan a 26 million signing and Wayne Rooney on 300k a week and England captain, they should be ashamed of themselves.

That West Ham fan hit the nail on the head in the video posted earlier. We deserve better than what we've been served this year. LVG and especially Giggs have no reason being at the club any more. Giggs needs to go out and prove himself and stop living off the coattails of other managers.

We've turned into a laughing stock of a club.

Man Utd and Old Trafford is definately a terrorist target, to think otherwise is very naive. did you not see what happened aoutside stade de france last year and also if you are travelling to Euro championship this summer you will feel the full force of security against terrorist threats.

to say we are a laughing stock of a club because of that is ridiculous

"Agreement Mendes-PSG for Cristiano if the right figure is paid to Madrid for him"

balague this morning

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Liverpool and Chelsea have been doing for years. Chelsea actually play their final game in the new kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

In isolation turning up late to games, missing out on transfer targets, players acting the eijet is not the end of the world but when they're all happening while the team are underperforming then they become things to get annoyed about. Things weren't perfect under Fergie and Gill but at least there was confidence that they knew what they were doing and were in control. Woodward's been in the job for three years and if anything I have even less faith in his ability to run the club than I did after his first disastrous year.

We're stuck with him while the Glazers own the club. But I'm desperately hoping at this stage either he or the Glazers acknowledge they need someone else to run the football side of the business. A new director of football and Jose Mourinho as manager I believe would give us the best chance of getting back to the top because our current trajectory is frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Liverpool and Chelsea have been doing for years. Chelsea actually play their final game in the new kit.

I've been clearly oblivious to this. Serious money making racket!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Last I heard, we're wearing the new kit against Bournemouth as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

The fact the players were taking the pish during the attack makes the performance even more baffling, I thought they looked rattled and it might have been because of the bus incident but it appears they just bottled it.

Rooney showed a glimpse of what might be possible from that midfield role with the driving run for the goal, he needs less of those spray-y passes....Mata needs to play central and nowhere else. Martial IS the second coming. Rashford has a lot about him, what a find.

Tough for LVG now to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Last I heard, we're wearing the new kit against Bournemouth as well.
    It was always a thing as far back as I remember that new kits would be worn in the last game...

• Screen_Shot_2012-09-13_at_9.39.39_AM.png

Hi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Most people are getting up in arms over the video because we lost. Had we won it would have been a hilarious video.

And if others teams players did the same then went out and put on the disgraceful display we did we'd be laughing our hole off them for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

ericzeking wrote: »
    The fact the players were taking the pish during the attack makes the performance even more baffling, I thought they looked rattled and it might have been because of the bus incident but it appears they just bottled it.

Never thought they bottled it. I saw someone describe the preformance as "The exact same one we put in against Norwich, but this time against a better team".

This has happened constantly this season; we scrap 1-0s against relegation fodder while playing poorly, but people try to gloss over the performance with "Don't care, 3 points" attitudes. The issue though is that when you ignore performances, it leaves you thinking a loss like last night is an abnormality. It isn't.

We play one way against all teams; our results are highly based on how the other team preforms on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

A few years down the line since Fergie left now.

Still 'in transition'. After all that money spent, still stocked to rafters with mediocrity. Six consecutive transfer windows of incompetence.

It appears there is no viable plan going forward. Not only is Woodward incompetent but he also appears powerless to bring in someone against the wishes of the club elders. Would they even tolerate a competent director of football appointment now?

Utd aren't at risk of doing 'a liverpool'. Utd are doing a liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Bored off me tree so doing a fantasy XI because I'll cry if this team starts again next season.
    De Gea
    Darmian - Smalling - New CB (Varane at Madrid/Laporte at Bilbao/Marquinhos at PSG) - Shaw
    Schneiderlin - Schweinstiger/Carrick (When extra defence is needed or Kante be the dream) or Herrera (When more attack minded)
    Mata
    New actual right-wing-not-a-striker-or-left-wing-player - Rashford - Martial

Seems pretty ideal to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

At this stage, I wouldn't pick Rooney for the Euros. England has the forwards (Kane & Vardy) and in Alli they have sufficient midfielders. not sure why you would bring a rookie midfielder, who happens to be past it, in the squad.

If there is a space going, I would bring someone like Carroll. Something different to throw on with ten minutes to go chasing a game, a la Cas or Quinn. Course he's not the best but he offers something different.

Not sure what Rooney brings except that any difference is just less, less speed, less skill, less tackling.

Hodgson doesn't have the balls to make the call but apart for seniority I fail to see how Rooney can be considered. None of his numbers are good enough (yes you can argue that is the fault of the team but you bring players that are performing)

• Advertisement

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Bored off me tree so doing a fantasy XI because I'll cry if this team starts again next season.
    De Gea
    Darmian - Smalling - New CB (Varane at Madrid/Laporte at Bilbao/Marquinhos at PSG) - Shaw
    Schneiderlin - Schweinstiger/Carrick (When extra defence is needed or Kante be the dream) or Herrera (When more attack minded)
    Mata
    New actual right-wing-not-a-striker-or-left-wing-player - Rashford - Martial

Seems pretty ideal to me.

De Gea
    Darmian-Smalling-New CB-Shaw
    Schneiderlin
    Herrera--New CM
    New RW
    Martial
    New ST

Johnstones
    New RB-Fosu-Mensah-Blind-Borthwick Jackson
    Schweinsteiger
    New CM--Mata
    Memphis----Rooney---Rashford

As for who to target - no idea, to be honest. I can't think of an available CB with the attributes I would like. I do like Varane, but we need a new Vidic/Stam/Rio - we need a new bollocking the others CB.

Pogba would be the ideal CM signing but Juve look very unwilling to sell and I reckon there would be a long list of more suitable clubs interested. Kante would be a good signing. Talk of Jaoa Mario but I've not seen him so not going to comment. We need someone with drive, determination and ability to pass. I would have loved Vidal, don't see Munich selling. Kroos is another player I like, and there is talk he could be sold, but he is more deep lying than driving - we need a driving, physically commanding force.

Greizmann would be my number one target for that right side spot. aubameyang would be my number 1 target for the striker position. Beyond him you could look to Higuain, Icardi, Lukaku.

I like Rashford, but would prefer him to remain a rotation option next season rather than pinning our hopes on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

Keane would probably have stayed put and stared down the West Ham mob.
    Regardless of personal risk (re-inforced glass though), police instructions to remain out of sight (sort out the guys throwing the bricks and bottle first pal) or team officials instructions (fcuk off LVG) the inspirational value of having an out and out psycho on your team can't be underestimated.

Can you imagine Stuart Pearse staying on the bus?
    He'd have been tearing to get out and get in among them.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    At this stage, I wouldn't pick Rooney for the Euros. England has the forwards (Kane & Vardy) and in Alli they have sufficient midfielders. not sure why you would bring a rookie midfielder, who happens to be past it, in the squad.

If there is a space going, I would bring someone like Carroll. Something different to throw on with ten minutes to go chasing a game, a la Cas or Quinn. Course he's not the best but he offers something different.

Not sure what Rooney brings except that any difference is just less, less speed, less skill, less tackling.

Hodgson doesn't have the balls to make the call but apart for seniority I fail to see how Rooney can be considered. None of his numbers are good enough (yes you can argue that is the fault of the team but you bring players that are performing)

he was top scorer for england during their qualifying campaign, is their all time top goalscorer and is currently their captain to suggest he shouldt be brought is crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

josip wrote: »
    Can you imagine Stuart Pearse staying on the bus?
    He'd have been tearing to get out and get in among them.

As an aside this actually happened. When Forest under Clough travelled up to Anfield for a game when tensions were pretty high between the two sides because they were both challenging for trophies, he made the team get off the bus a mile from the stadium and walk among the fans. Pearce said it was the best thing they could do, the majority of the opposition fans had a laugh with them and Clough had basically taken the sting out of the hostile atmosphere.

Not that I'd advocate doing it in this day and age!

United bus left canary warf at half five it was only 200 yards away from the Westham bus until they were attacked and at standstill for an hour. Some people then jump straight to the conclusion that it was United's fault the bus was attacked.

As an aside this actually happened. When Forest under Clough travelled up to Anfield for a game when tensions were pretty high between the two sides because they were both challenging for trophies, he made the team get off the bus a mile from the stadium and walk among the fans. Pearce said it was the best thing they could do, the majority of the opposition fans had a laugh with them and Clough had basically taken the sting out of the hostile atmosphere.

Not that I'd advocate doing it in this day and age!

Clough wasn't afraid to pick out a fan running across the pitch on a pitch invasion and give him a proper right hook either ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Don't think I will bother watching the match on Sunday. Can't take any more torture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Van Gaal has bought in a lot of players, does anyone think any of them has justified their price?

On paper, at the time of signing, I'd have no issues with any signing he has overseen.

Feeding back into my post last night, and an opinion that I've come around to shared by others(Prof was a good persuader of this view) that it's difficult to judge this players accurately in the current tactical and managerial setup.

I don't believe the club have made a poor signing during Van Gaals time, but hindsight is a wonderful thing and many have been poorly utilised or wasted.

Di Maria is the obvious case in point, but someone like Schneiderlan I was really excited about, has been just wrecked this season in the midfield. Depay has then also suffered dramatically.

When Van Gaal does leave, there is a massive confidence rebuilding and nearly a retraining/relearning process that will need to take place, so they forget his muck instructions and get back to their instincts and what got them signed in the first place.

Schneiderlan just looks a totally different player to a guy who was destroying anything in his path for two seasons.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Have no problem with the video. When your bus is being attacked like that, you're going to react, and I'd rather see them mocking the situation than being terrified or anything. The issue I'd find is that after the joking round, it should have been galvanized into a passionate performance, be that the job of LVG as manager, Giggs as assistant manager or Rooney as captain.

Yeah I'm not buying peoples outrage over the video. That is up there with people giving Depay **** for having the audacity to drive a nice car. Or fans who get the hump when players dare leave their house after a loss, assuming players should go home and cry in a dark room.

Get a grip....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

jayo26 wrote: »
    United bus left canary warf at half five it was only 200 yards away from the Westham bus until they were attacked and at standstill for an hour. Some people then jump straight to the conclusion that it was United's fault the bus was attacked.

Any comments from the chairman Mr O Sullivan today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

TheDoc wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not buying peoples outrage over the video. That is up there with people giving Depay **** for having the audacity to drive a nice car. Or fans who get the hump when players dare leave their house after a loss, assuming players should go home and cry in a dark room.

Get a grip....

Nah it's not up there with those actually...it's about full focus.

Ironically Depay has been ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

bangkok wrote: »
    he was top scorer for england during their qualifying campaign, is their all time top goalscorer and is currently their captain to suggest he shouldt be brought is crazy

Where would you play him? And to suggest he's good to have as a leader is nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

The issue I have with the Lingard video is how did he think it was appropriate to put it online. People are only questioning the players's focus, attitude etc. because there is unnecessary video evidence online of how they reacted. I don't really have an issue with how they reacted at all (apart from some reason wanting to punch Lingard).

That a player thinks that it's ok to put it online just shows a lack of awareness and poor judgement. A bit like how Lingard plays I suppose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

20 years ago today we beat Liverpool 1-0 in Cup final.

When the Cup was big. Feels like only yesterday, but it's also million miles from the standard we watch now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Are people honestly trying to argue that United lost the match because Jesse Lingard posted a video online? lol.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Nah it's not up there with those actually...it's about full focus.

Ironically Depay has been ****.

There is an assumption made by fans clearly, that players should be steely faced and pumping themselves up to the max from what, the minute they wake up that morning?

There is enough sports psychology done now that not only indicates elite sports people are individuals and ideally tailor their own mechanisms, but there are just wild assumptions being made here on myths. How Roy Keane would behave, or Stuart Pierce.

You read enough books, you see enough interviews, you watch enough old footage, the transport for a team was mostly used as a way to clear the mind and chill out, keep calm, not get too wound up. The exact opposite of what is being perpetrated here.

Michael Carrick was on The Big Interview a while back and Graham Hunter actually specifically asked about the sort of mental prep ahead of big games. Carrick replied how there was an iPhone game that loads of the lads would play against each other on the way to games to relax, and outlined what some other players would do.

It's a mute point I'm being anal about, but there is enough sticks to beat the team with, and I hate imaginary ones being used, and I really detest that nonsense when it comes to fans giving players stick, for not being machines.

There was an evident lack of urgency from the team last night in the second half, but I felt that stemmed directly from Carrick and Rooney in the middle, who were ponderous as **** and injected absolutely no direction or urgency into the play. The so called "leaders" of the team. Hererra was pretty stink last night, but there was multiple times during the second half when in possesion he played a ball off to receive a one two, himself running forward, and Rooney and Carrick dilly dallied and the gap closed.

Becoming abundantly evident we have a team who is like half comprised of players who are at their best when things are happening quickly, and half comprised of players who are ponderous as ****.

Are people honestly trying to argue that United lost the match because Jesse Lingard posted a video online? lol.

I think its more people looking to lay the boot in, and feel the situation does not meet their expectations of how a professional footballer should behave during the travel to an away ground.

And look its fair enough to have that opinion, I think its just nonsense.

No, I don't think anyone is arguing that.

What people are arguing is that the mentality on show is a contributing factor to the demise of United.

Hardly.

For me personally it simply illustrates the complete lack of focus we have had all season.

Something like that should rile players up, get their blood pumping and have then thinking "let's of out there and really give them something to riot about" not having a fcuking laugh about it.

Unreal to think come Sunday evening we could be in fourth or in eighth.

20 years ago today we beat Liverpool 1-0 in Cup final.

When the Cup was big. Feels like only yesterday, but it's also million miles from the standard we watch now.

****e game but what a game.

The kids in that team had more bottle and composure than any of the current senior players. In fairness they had to be when they were filling the boots of some tough nuts themselves and set an example by the likes of Schmeichel, Keane and Cantona.

There are no Utd standard senior leadership role models in this Utd team. Even buying in a Keane type leader now will take time to affect the squad mentality.

The current leadership chain of Rooney, Carrick and Smalling says it all about where the club is now and where it's heading.

• Advertisement

I'd rather 8th tbh as we won't get 4th.

Get LVG gone.

No EL distractions.

Get José in to rebuild the same as he did in his first season back with Chelsea.

That would be the ideal scenario (obviously if LVG is gone anyway I'd rather get 4th but I think if we do, he stays)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

LVG is a self-proclaimed lucky manager.

And his tenure at United especially this season has been bloody poxed:

- Lucky with the kids form - Martial a highlight ... Rashford's first team opportunity was late Martial injury right? I am sure there was no plan to give Rashford an opportunity this season.

- Lucky with a dodgy fax machine

- Lucky that other teams rubbish too

- Lucky with a lot of our league wins ... The time we were first for a day?! Lucky 1-0s at the time. On the flip side - can anybody remember a loss where we thought we were unlucky to lose?!? I can't

- Lucky to have a spineless clown as a boss

- Lucky he is at the end of his career

The reality is that we should be bottom half and he should be out of a job well before now!

BTW not sure it has been mentioned ... but in his Sky interview last night ... LVG did not know that City only need 1 point?!?! He said City need to win.
    Sorry lads, but that is inexcusable ... Not knowing the ramifications of each possible result ahead of such a key game???!

keith_d99 wrote: »

BTW not sure it has been mentioned ... but in his Sky interview last night ... LVG did not know that City only need 1 point?!?! He said City need to win.
    Sorry lads, but that is inexcusable ... Not knowing the ramifications of each possible result ahead of such a key game???!

Was he corrected and then came to a realisation, or is it just a little mind game, or is just the word that came to his head.

In his post match press conference
    “In the last match of the season we can pass over Manchester City, they can lose and we can win – then we are fourth,

He had maintained in pre-match that we needed to win these two games now it was back in our hands. He had maintained in weeks gone by we need to win all our matches. He, like pretty much every other manager, maintain the focus on them, and what happens elsewhere happens.

So yeah, it is excusable and really no basis for any criticism.

I'm pretty sure the only prep and message he was pushing was win these two games, and every about winning these two games. The maths around is simply doesn't matter in reality. If we get 4th now, its a pure gift, and maybe finally the media narrative might shift a bit to City, who have gone tremendously under the radar until recent weeks about their deplorable season and general state of their squad.

keith_d99 wrote: »

Well, if we win 19-0 then a draw won't do City.

There is an assumption made by fans clearly, that players should be steely faced and pumping themselves up to the max from what, the minute they wake up that morning?.....

If Utd had dominated the game and won, the fact they made a joke of the attack on the bus would have been interpreted as confirmation of their strength in the face of intimidation. They lost and looked decidedly shaky for the first 20 mins, so the video will annoy fans.

Sharing videos like that is worse than breaking the dressing room omerta, especially before the game has even started and the consequences known.

A squad with a proper leader would never allow such a thing to leak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Was he corrected and then came to a realisation, or is it just a little mind game, or is just the word that came to his head.

In his post match press conference

He had maintained in pre-match that we needed to win these two games now it was back in our hands. He had maintained in weeks gone by we need to win all our matches. He, like pretty much every other manager, maintain the focus on them, and what happens elsewhere happens.

So yeah, it is excusable and really no basis for any criticism.

I'm pretty sure the only prep and message he was pushing was win these two games, and every about winning these two games. The maths around is simply doesn't matter in reality. If we get 4th now, its a pure gift, and maybe finally the media narrative might shift a bit to City, who have gone tremendously under the radar until recent weeks about their deplorable season and general state of their squad.

Agreed the Plan should have been to win ....

But for a Plan B (on the night .. not that he ever seems to have a Plan B) - he should have known that a point would have meant that City had to win to be guaranteed 4th)

The man is a spoofer .... at United anyhow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

bangkok wrote: »

Is there no level of performance which Rooney can sink to that would justify being dropped from the squad?

If so how close is he to that point? (I think he passed it months ago)

What sort of message does it convey to other England hopefuls? Rooney can't be dropped in favour of a player who is playing better and should be in the squad on merit instead of Rooney?

How will such a policy impact the England Squad? Rooney is untouchable therefore we're not as strong a squad as we could be?

If Rooney broke his leg in the morning your statement that "he was top scorer for england during their qualifying campaign, is their all time top goalscorer and is currently their captain" would still be true but no one would expect him to be picked to go. Why should it be any different if his performance level is clearly broken?

Lastly, I know Carroll isn't everyone's cup of tea but as others have pointed out it can be very helpful to have someone in the squad who can bring something totally different if "Plan A" isn't working. Does anyone really see Rooney coming off the bench having a similar impact??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

I'd rather 8th tbh as we won't get 4th.

Get LVG gone.

No EL distractions.

Get Jos in to rebuild the same as he did in his first season back with Chelsea.

That would be the ideal scenario (obviously if LVG is gone anyway I'd rather get 4th but I think if we do, he stays)

you are forgetting about the FA Cup, win that and we are in the Europa Poxy League regardless of our league position. Bring back the Cup Winners Cup...we could win that!

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Where would you play him? And to suggest he's good to have as a leader is nonsense

he could be great on the training ground and in the dressing room, things you or i will never see. Do you think he was made Manchester United and England captain just for the sake of it?

I would play him behind Harry Kane

• Advertisement

Is there no level of performance which Rooney can sink to that would justify being dropped from the squad?

If so how close is he to that point? (I think he passed it months ago)

What sort of message does it convey to other England hopefuls? Rooney can't be dropped in favour of a player who is playing better and should be in the squad on merit instead of Rooney?

How will such a policy impact the England Squad? Rooney is untouchable therefore we're not as strong a squad as we could be?

If Rooney broke his leg in the morning your statement that "he was top scorer for england during their qualifying campaign, is their all time top goalscorer and is currently their captain" would still be true but no one would expect him to be picked to go. Why should it be any different if his performance level is clearly broken?

Lastly, I know Carroll isn't everyone's cup of tea but as others have pointed out it can be very helpful to have someone in the squad who can bring something totally different if "Plan A" isn't working. Does anyone really see Rooney coming off the bench having a similar impact??

you are saying not only should he be dropped from the starting 11 but from the 22 man squad altogether??!! lol

what players would you take instead, Kane, Sturridge, Vardy and Carroll? Taking both Sturridge and Carroll is a huge risk as both are always injured, carroll is also not good enough

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement