Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Aguero will murder Swansea dragging City to 4th, don't do it to yourselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

jayo26 wrote: »
    United bus left canary warf at half five it was only 200 yards away from the Westham bus until they were attacked and at standstill for an hour. Some people then jump straight to the conclusion that it was United's fault the bus was attacked.

There are so many reasons that people can legitimately pick fault with the goings on at the club, but this "turning up late" thing is the biggest pile of sh*te ever.

Against Spurs, the road was blocked so police directed the United bus down a road with a bridge that the bus couldn't fit under. And last night, fans block the road to lob bottles and cans at the bus (there is a 40 minute video where the bus barely moves while stuff is hopping off the windows), and it's the club's fault. What are they supposed to do? Teleport?

Hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Aguero will murder Swansea dragging City to 4th, don't do it to yourselves

or they will be losing 1-0 in the 94th minute and the fooker will do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

On the positive side I don't think the squad of players are as bad as they've played this season. I think Memphis, Schneiderlin, Blind (not as CB), Darmian and Herrera can all perform to a much higher level under a different coach. Even Januzaj might recover some of his promise. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Is there no level of performance which Rooney can sink to that would justify being dropped from the squad?

If so how close is he to that point? (I think he passed it months ago)

What sort of message does it convey to other England hopefuls? Rooney can't be dropped in favour of a player who is playing better and should be in the squad on merit instead of Rooney?

How will such a policy impact the England Squad? Rooney is untouchable therefore we're not as strong a squad as we could be?

If Rooney broke his leg in the morning your statement that "he was top scorer for england during their qualifying campaign, is their all time top goalscorer and is currently their captain" would still be true but no one would expect him to be picked to go. Why should it be any different if his performance level is clearly broken?

Lastly, I know Carroll isn't everyone's cup of tea but as others have pointed out it can be very helpful to have someone in the squad who can bring something totally different if "Plan A" isn't working. Does anyone really see Rooney coming off the bench having a similar impact??

For the first time I can remember England are a better team than United. Wayne has played very well for England the last couple of years even when he hasn't being playing well for United. I think that suggests he isn't as bad as some United fans think but is just a scapegoat because we all know how good he can be with good players around him. I think he'll be delighted to get away from United this summer and will probably do well in the Euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Korat wrote: »
    On the positive side I don't think the squad of players are as bad as they've played this season. I think Memphis, Schneiderlin, Blind (not as CB), Darmian and Herrera can all perform to a much higher level under a different coach. Even Januzaj might recover some of his promise. :)

I don't think Blind has shown himself good enough anywhere to be first choice in a proper side. A good backup player though - which I personally think are key to any successful side. Apart from Barca, or Leicster who just play the same 11 every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

bangkok wrote: »
    I would play him behind Harry Kane

Instead of who? Dele Alli? Seriously?

If you did a poll of the other 10 players on the pitch and gave them the option of Dele Alli or Rooney how do you think that would work out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

For the first time I can remember England are a better team than United. Wayne has played very well for England the last couple of years even when he hasn't being playing well for United. I think that suggests he isn't as bad as some United fans think but is just a scapegoat because we all know how good he can be with good players around him. I think he'll be delighted to get away from United this summer and will probably do well in the Euros.

When England standard becomes good enough for Utd you know things have taken a turn for the worse. It's been the other way round for the last 20 years, Steve Bruce might be the last English Utd player to play 20 games and not get a cap for England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

If you did a poll of the other 10 players on the pitch and gave them the option of Dele Alli or Rooney how do you think that would work out?

Deli Ali is completely unproven at international level. Never mind a tournament if this scale. To state he should start ahead of Rooney who was the catalyst for their qualification is misguided. Rooney is playing in a rigid team with little freedom. He I'll start every game in the euros. If he didn't and England bombed Roy would be gone and the media would pedestal Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Korat wrote: »

Jesus, he was woeful as a defender last night, playing West Ham onside as the last defender on at least 4 occasions and that unforgivable one when Carroll went one on one with de Gea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

both will more than likely start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Is there any Radio Stations who do commentary of the games.

I feel physically sick watching them.

Polo_Mint wrote: »

you should visit a doctor if you feel sick watching football matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

5 Live if you can get it. Also Newstalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I think you need to either stop watching them or stop exagerrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭CantonasCollar

The wife has just informed me that she has booked afternoon tea for her and her mates for 3pm on Sunday. Guess I am looking after the kids then :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

bangkok wrote: »

you should visit a doctor if you feel sick watching football matches

I think you need to either stop watching them or stop exagerrating.

Harsh lads. I know the feeling, could barely watch it when we went 2-1 up last night. Short lived hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Deli Ali is completely unproven at international level. Never mind a tournament if this scale. To state he should start ahead of Rooney who was the catalyst for their qualification is misguided. Rooney is playing in a rigid team with little freedom. He I'll start every game in the euros. If he didn't and England bombed Roy would be gone and the media would pedestal Rooney.

Rooney has failed time after time in international tournaments. He was the main striker in the qualifying campaign also taking pen's against a lot of poor teams. Put vardy, kane, sturridge even jermain defoe in that position for the qualifying stages and I'd imagine they would do the same. Rooney is now no longer certain to be first choice in utds front four not exactly the most potent of attacks. I'd play alli off kane and I wouldn't accomadate rooney out wide. Hodgson won't do that and will play rooney. Much like the last world cup when Hodgson played gerrard on what he had done in the past and not picking a team based on the present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

The tunnel is supposedly another zone where the players remain calm and get focused.

While nobody can know for certain what he would have done, I can't imagine him cowering on the floor of the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

I'd play alli off kane and I wouldn't accomadate rooney out wide. Hodgson won't do that and will play rooney. Much like the last world cup when Hodgson played gerrard on what he had done in the past and not picking a team based on the present.

100%. No room for sentimentality in sport, that's what testimonials are for.

Saying Alli is unproven in international tournaments, especially relative to Rooney who has never once ripped it up for England in a major tournament and is now way past his best, is either naive, looking through MU tinted glasses or both.

Alli outperformed many "proven" internationals in the PL this year. His trajectory is on the way up. That counts for a lot.

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    The tunnel is supposedly another zone where the players remain calm and get focused.

While nobody can know for certain what he would have done, I can't imagine him cowering on the floor of the bus.

if security on the bus told them to get down, he would have got down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qpqffofN8k

wasnt exactly the hard man there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

josip wrote: »

There's no way he would have, and that the whole reason people are annoyed about it. People are coming here defending Lingard... and yeah, if he wants to do that, that's grand, that's what he's into and that's his personality. But it's a personality that does transcend to the player on the pitch, the focus, the drive, the preparation, all things that propelled Keane from a great player to one of the best midfielders in the world.

Yeah, they have lives, they don't have to be turned on ALL the time, but if I was in a job where I was getting paid triple (and more) figures a month and I was about to go into a meeting that could cost the company millions you can be damn sure I, or no one else, would be outside taking selfies and having the "bantz".

There's certain things that Fergie instilled in his teams, and stuff like this is exactly what we've heard him talk about loads of times before, just like the Liverpool wearing the white suits to the FA cup final and how he knew he'd won as soon as he saw them.

Prepare like clowns, play like clowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Leaving aside thuggish ramifications, how does a video where he tries to punch another player get put into evidence of him not being a tough bastard?

Also, if you need anything to remind you of the steel of players like Hughes, Keane, Vidic, Bruce etc then........... ah **** it lost me train of thought Back to work!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Again picked best game to miss out, have to thank my 6 month old daughter for keeping me occupied. Just checked scores and nothing more.

I'm not surprised by the result and not even sad about it. Felt we had a good chance of finishing top 4 when Arsenal drew with City but I didn't have any confidence in the team to make it count. So this result is not shocking or surprising for me.

Sooner we get rid of Van Gaal, better it is. Hopefully he goes out by winning cup.

Saying Alli is unproven in international tournaments, especially relative to Rooney who has never once ripped it up for England in a major tournament and is now way past his best, is either naive, looking through MU tinted glasses or both.

Alli outperformed many "proven" internationals in the PL this year. His trajectory is on the way up. That counts for a lot.

Wayne Rooney Euro 2004 says hello

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Rooney was very good in euro 2004 when he was at the same stage as alli is in his career. All tournaments since then he has been average. For utd he hasn't had what you would class a standout season since the year before rvp signed . That's 4 seasons now. I'd imagine this summer utd will finally replace him as the marquee player in their squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Martial would have 30 or 40 goals playing with Madrid this season

We really have one of the best around, we need to get players of the same quality or he'll be gone. De Gea is possibly gone anyway, he's wasted 3 years already of playing with players nowhere near his quality.

Martial would have 30 or 40 goals playing with Madrid this season

We really have one of the best around, we need to get players of the same quality or he'll be gone. De Gea is possibly gone anyway, he's wasted 3 years already of playing with players nowhere near his quality.

It's not the current players. I agree that Martial would have a significant amount more goals this season in another environment, but I honestly think that we do have better players now at the club than the performances and results suggest, and the manager being upgraded is the key to unlocking this. Although Martial is on record lately with praise for LVG, and in fairness to LVG - Well done and thank you for bringing him to United, I think this current squad is immediately up a level with a better manager in there.

The first team need additions no doubt, but I'm very much of the opinion that no matter who the club sign, under the current manager they will become part of a stale, under-performing team. The phrase "...like a new signing" has been joked about, but I actually think it would be true for quite a few of our players with a more adept manager brought in. This is a priority IMO, only then should the club look at new signings.

As bright a shining light as Martial has been this season, I get excited at the notion of him playing in a Man United team that aren't shackled by LVG's tried and failed philosophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Welbeck lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Welbeck lol

Jaysus.

9 months for not being able to tackle properly

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Didn't realise the away kit launched today. Standing in front of it now. It looks like a pyjama top. Made from recycled polyester and is 75 euro. :/

Welbeck lol

Lol? What the **** dude. They guy gets a serious knee injury and you say lol? ****ty post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Welbeck lol
    Please explain how you find that funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

Welbeck lol

He's was associated with the club from 8 or 9 years old..... the esteemed LVG decided he could go on loan, the guy decided permanent was better for him.... in my book a good servant to the club..... doesn't deserve a lol for another serious injury. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Welbeck lol

Grow up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

No player deserves a 'lol' over an injury. It's a game at the end of the day.

The irony in a posted named ManUtd for life laughing at an ex-Manchester United player is the only 'lol' part about the post really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

lol :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Making jokes when players get injured is the remit of a true bottom feeder.

Bad form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I wouldn't make fun of them or laugh at them but if Agüero and KdB did a hamstring in training this week that would be fine by me.
    I've no problem with people being ok or even happy with rival players picking up injuries if it benefits your own team. They're not dying, they just won't be able to play football for a while. "Lolling" is a bit uncalled for though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Really disappointed with last night, wasn't expecting much but when Martial dug us out I thought we might be able to hold on :(

Thought Rooney, Martial and Rashford were on the whole very good, Rashford needs a good bit of work so would love to see us get an established Centre Forward and keep him as main reserve. Think Martial in that wide position with the freedom to roam can create havoc as he develops.

I know there are a lot of improvement areas but 4 players in particular last night looked so far from the level required that they need to go.

Herrera & Mata were dreadful. Consistently lost the ball, offered nothing in defense and did little in an attaching sense. You might be able to carry one in a team that had alot of power and pace in midfield (looking at you Kouyate!!)

Rojo & Valencia were also terrible. They offer nothing going forward, Rojo in particular couldn't cross his legs. How CBJ is not in the team ahead of Rojo is beyond me. I know Darmian has not been great but surely offers more than Valencia.

The final bug bear has got to be the bench & Van Gaal's use of it. How we are left with Lingaard, Memphis and Januzaj as our attacking options is ridiculous. Lingaard and Januzaj would struggle to get into most teams in the premier league at present and they are our options to change a game. How both of them were brought on in front of Memphis is beyond me. He had not been great but offers more than either of the above in the situation where you need a moment of magic, not someone to do a job.

Had Van Gaal snuck top 4 you could have made a case for him to stay but at this point we need to move on.

lol :p

Well done for the most embarrassing posts from a man united supporter I have seen in quite some time. I'm actually embarrassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Didn't realise the away kit launched today. Standing in front of it now. It looks like a pyjama top. Made from recycled polyester and is 75 euro. :/

Is it the same material as the Real Madrid grey strip?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

dunno why i do it but im getting worked up about sunday,it's not to far fetched that city can lose and we have a good home record,hoping above hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

jambofc wrote: »
    dunno why i do it but im getting worked up about sunday,it's not to far fetched that city can lose and we have a good home record,hoping above hope

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

jambofc wrote: »

Would say it's mor likey we lose EL spot than get the CL spot tbh.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Would say it's mor likey we lose EL spot than get the CL spot tbh.

Would that be a bad thing?

Welbeck lol

Seriously? If you think that's funny, you should give yourself a break from posting for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Adidas have ended their sponsorship with Chelsea Six years early

They only want 1 team per league. Madrid Bayern and Utd for premier league.

I hope they know something we don't as they could be awful disappointed if Louis is still in charge next season

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement