Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Antibac wrote: »
    Adidas have ended their sponsorship with Chelsea Six years early

They only want 1 team per league. Madrid Bayern and Utd for premier league.

I hope they know something we don't as they could be awful disappointed if Louis is still in charge next season

Wow, wonder how much they had to pay to get out of the contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kagawa

That was awful last night, we surely can't keep Van Gaal if we don't make CL, I'm worried that the board are going to become like Arsenal and view CL qualification as being very acceptable and that's why Van Gaal hasn't been given the sack already.

No CL football, and Van Gaal in charge and I really can't see what top class players we could attract in the summer, why would you come when you know he will be gone in a year.

Bring in Mourinho, i know he's not everyone's cup of tea but he will be able to attract top players and despite what people say about him, he is at least going to make us challengers again.

The carry on of the players on the bus too was disgraceful, I can't imagine Keane, Vidic or the great players we've had laughing and hiding like that, especially before a bit game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Wow, wonder how much they had to pay to get out of the contract?

It could of been mutual decision either if chelsea thought they could earn more with someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Some stat :p
    Julien Laurens ‏@LaurensJulien 5h5 hours ago
    Still don't know what to make of this but Manchester United scouted Renato Sanches 24 times this season. Bayern Munich, twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

stankratz wrote: »
    It's not the current players. I agree that Martial would have a significant amount more goals this season in another environment, but I honestly think that we do have better players now at the club than the performances and results suggest, and the manager being upgraded is the key to unlocking this. Although Martial is on record lately with praise for LVG, and in fairness to LVG - Well done and thank you for bringing him to United, I think this current squad is immediately up a level with a better manager in there.

The first team need additions no doubt, but I'm very much of the opinion that no matter who the club sign, under the current manager they will become part of a stale, under-performing team. The phrase "...like a new signing" has been joked about, but I actually think it would be true for quite a few of our players with a more adept manager brought in. This is a priority IMO, only then should the club look at new signings.

As bright a shining light as Martial has been this season, I get excited at the notion of him playing in a Man United team that aren't shackled by LVG's tried and failed philosophy.

I agree to a certain extent that the players could perform a lot better under a competent manager.

But I think there are probably 3 teams in the league with better squads and you could argue we are just on par with another 2 or 3 as well. Martial, Shaw, Mike, Dave, Schneiderlin and Mata and possibly Darmian, if he regains his form at the start of this season, are the only players I'd not replace in the starting 11. The other 5 spots need to be filled with a lot better quality than we have now. The rest of the players we have I'd see as good squad players but we won't be near winning titles with them.

Pep will spend massive money, probably Conte too. Wenger you never know, Klopp could make some astute buys and then there's Spurs and Leicester and West Ham who could all be title challengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I can't see West Ham doing as well as this season, never mind challenging for the title. I think in the new stadium it might be a real struggle and I think most teams will be a lot happier going to the Olympic Stadium as opposed to Upton Park. I don't think they have much about them on the basis of our games against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Sunderland putting in the kind of performance you'd expect in a must win game, not the shameful cowardly display we saw last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

How many years do you expect Martial to be at United before his head is turned by the likes of REAL and Barca? At a guess I would say another 3-4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Is welbecks injury similar to the one he had at the start of the season?

billyhead wrote: »
    How many years do you expect Martial to be at United before his head is turned by the likes of REAL and Barca? At a guess I would say another 3-4.

I'd say far less than that, if it continues like it is at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I hope they know something we don't as they could be awful disappointed if Louis is still in charge next season

Are you sure thats the reason? Are they dropping the rest of the PL teams as well?

Southampton, Sunderland, Swansea and West Brom have Adidas kits.

Middleborough also have an Adidas kit and they are in the PL next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

billyhead wrote: »

Real will most likely need to get their replacement for Ronaldo in the summer of 2017 (summer 2018 at the latest) so if he continues the way he is now we may only have one more year before they come calling!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

TheTownie wrote: »
    Some stat :p

It would paint Munich are a very poorly run club in terms of player recruitment, which I don't think they are personally.....so I'm gonna go with, bull****.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Hococop wrote: »
    Is welbecks injury similar to the one he had at the start of the season?

Yeah, its the other knee though. Dunno if its the exact same injury, but similar lay off time anyway.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Are you sure thats the reason? Are they dropping the rest of the PL teams as well?

Southampton, Sunderland, Swansea and West Brom have Adidas kits.

Middleborough also have an Adidas kit and they are in the PL next year.

I don't think it is -that's what Adidas reportedly said. They want to concentrate on premium teams. I reckon Chelsea got a better deal

Yeah, its the other knee though. Dunno if its the exact same injury, but similar lay off time anyway.

Hopefully not the same knee could be trouble if it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Man I got it really wrong on Martinez.

Always thought he was good manager but Everton have to get rid of him in summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I don't think it is -that's what Adidas reportedly said. They want to concentrate on premium teams. I reckon Chelsea got a better deal

They'd be mad to only have one team per League in fairness.

Even the likes of West Brom would sell a few million jerseys every year.

Headshot wrote: »
    Man I got it really wrong on Martinez.

Always thought he was good manager but Everton have to get rid of him in summer

Destroyed wigan just got lucky in the cup I never really liked him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Sorry if already posted, 20 years ago to the day :p

Awful game but some finish. I don't think I truly appreciated how sweet the shot was until now, technique wise. I was too busy celebrating at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Lads I was there for Moyes last home game as Utd manager. I was there for LvG's first home game as Utd manager.

I'm going to the game on Sunday, don't worry I've got this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

emmetkenny wrote: »
    They'd be mad to only have one team per League in fairness.

Even the likes of West Brom would sell a few million jerseys every year.

I think it's just a face saving exercise

United are getting over double what Chelsea get a season

Nike will probably pay them 600 million over 10 years, it makes sense to part ways although Chelsea probably have to pay a big chunk to Adidas to let them out. I would guess Adidas were making a killing off that deal

jayo26 wrote: »
    Destroyed wigan just got lucky in the cup I never really liked him.

I've been consistent in my views on Martinez going back to his Wigan days and nothing he has done has changed my opinion one bit, and with how the Everton fans carried on when they hired him after Moyes I am also delighted for them too. Shame he couldn't relegate them.

Welbeck lol

Seen a rival fan make a similar post the night Luke Shaw got his leg broken by Hector Moreno and I thought it was pure scumbaggery on that poster's part. I often wondered if it was just cause it was a United player why I felt that way, guess I know now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭thomasj

In fairness headshot, everton scored 10 more than Utd this season with 56. Their 55 conceded goals is another story .

In fact Sunderland who just about stayed up scored 46 goals this season, the exact same as Utd

Dare I say we have DDG to thank for keeping us 5th even and with a positive goal difference I might say :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

thomasj wrote: »
    In fairness they scored 10 more than Utd this season with 56. Their 55 conceded goals is another story .

In fact Sunderland who just about stayed up scored 46 goals this season, the exact same as Utd

Dare I say we have DDG to thank for keeping us 5th even and with a positive goal difference I might say :eek:

If we can get some more 18 year olds into the team maybe next year we can improve and have as many shots as Watford, or score as many as West Brom...

If we can get some more 18 year olds into the team maybe next year we can improve and have as many shots as Watford, or score as many as West Brom...

Please tell me we don't have less goals than a tony pulis side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Hococop wrote: »

I didn't even check to be honest, wasn't being too serious. Hard to be serious when you see stats like that constantly coming out, its worse than it ever was with Moyes breaking his "records".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Hococop wrote:

Nope, they've scored a miserly 33.

José was asked about the Westham game does it affect his future he replied there is still plenty of time..... It's off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

José was asked about the Westham game does it affect his future he replied there is still plenty of time..... It's off :)

How would that mean it's off?

Van Gaal gives a speech after the Bournemouth game right?

I wonder how that's going to go, I don't think there will be much love shown if/when top 4 is gone

I wonder how that's going to go, I don't think there will be much love shown if/when top 4 is gone

Will he risk it? i doubt he will if we miss out there will be plenty of unhappy fans there hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Doubt there'll be much reaction either way. About the only thing that he can say to appease the fans is 'I'm leaving after the cup final'.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    How would that mean it's off?

I was reverse jinxing it... Made sense in my head but I did include a smiling face for your benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I was reverse jinxing it... Made sense in my head but I did include a smiling face for your benefit.

Phew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

I imagine he is just going to thank the fans for the support this season and hype up the FA cup final. I don't think he'll mention anything about next season or his future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Oh please somebody smash our PA system for Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Sky are showing our game on Sunday along with City. Pity race for 4th is over (barring a miracle) http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10278296/man-utd-man-city-and-west-ham-live-on-final-day-of-premier-league-season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

Other way around really! Chelsea have lined up another sponsor, I'm guessing Nike, and have to buy themselves out of the Adidas deal.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/chelsea/chelsea-to-buy-out-300m-adidas-deal-six-years-early-to-opt-for-rival-sportswear-giant-34706564.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

MooShop wrote: »
    Other way around really! Chelsea have lined up another sponsor, I'm guessing Nike, and have to buy themselves out of the Adidas deal.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/chelsea/chelsea-to-buy-out-300m-adidas-deal-six-years-early-to-opt-for-rival-sportswear-giant-34706564.html

chelsea will pay adidas 40m to cancel. Nothing really considering they will get a lot more for new deal

be interesting to see who is next United manager, di marzio says Mourinho will be next manager, dan walker said earlier in the year he was told by 3 reliable sources that it would be pochettino...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I can't see Pochettino leaving the Spurs squad he's spent building up just for some new manager to come in and reap the rewards of all his hard work.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote:

You're not FutureGuy ye know

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

A lot of places running those Jose quotes now, with most headlines being...

José Mourinho: ‘I’ll be back in management by 30 June’

His exact quotes are as follows

(Quoting The Guardian)

Managing a team again, albeit for an exhibition ahead of the Fifa Congress, had whetted Mourinho’s appetite for a return to coaching. “Of course I miss it,” Mourinho said. “In July I will be back. So we are in May. May to July is nothing. I keep enjoying my life which I’m doing, keep enjoying my family. But in July I am back.”

Asked when he needed to sign a contract by, the London-based Mourinho responded: “June 30 – that’s fine.”

[...]

“I don’t know. I know nothing about it really,” Mourinho said, when asked about being hired by United. “I don’t have a club and I was waiting for these guys [the FIFA Legends] to win the match to give me a hand but because I lost the match [9-8] it’s even more difficult to get the club.”

The United director David Gill is also in Mexico City in his capacity as a Fifa vice-president. If Mourinho does resume employment in July he will not have officially been involved in planning for the club’s season.

“It’s difficult because when you get a new club in this period normally the clubs they did already their work,” Mourinho said. “I give you an example. I’m not the Chelsea manager but I organised the Chelsea pre-season in many aspects because I did that 10 months ago.

“Clubs have their commercial, marketing departments always involved in everything. When a new manager arrives in May, June it’s very difficult to touch in some points but we know that.”

But Mourinho said a late appointment would not affect his ability to identify and sign transfer targets ahead of the start of the new season in August.

“Scouting is done during the year,” Mourinho said. “It’s not even a competition like the Euros where you are going to find by miracle some new talents. We know everybody, so it’s just a question of trying to choose the players that your team needs because the scouting, with our structures, we do it for many, many players.”

brinty wrote: »
    You're not FutureGuy ye know

Stuff you brinty I never claimed to be ;);)

De Boer to United from left field?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement