Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Sky are showing our game on Sunday along with City. Pity race for 4th is over (barring a miracle) http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10278296/man-utd-man-city-and-west-ham-live-on-final-day-of-premier-league-season

Sky don't have much to showcase for the final weekend, relegation battle DONE, title DONE, 4th place 90% there. Not much to get excited about. Less if you watch United these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

I missed out of the comments re Welbeck yesterday but I think we profited from selling him when we did. He has been riddled with injury since joining Arsenal and has missed a lot of game time, he will now miss more due to the latest knee injury.

I know people were saying he would have been a good squad player but even if we had kept him he would have been out injured for a lot of time so it was better IMO in hindsight to take the money and let him go rather than have him on the sidelines.

Disclaimer: I don't wish any injury on him and I do not, repeat DO NOT want to start another Welbeck debate, just sharing my opinion :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Howayeh lads?

Quick update on this year's paid FF league.

The top 4 look like this:

1 3 men and a Bebe 2,246
    2 Football club FC 2,121
    3 Game of Throw ins 2,120
    4 Who Ate All Depays 2,105
    5 Devestated 2,102
    6 God Save McClean 2,100

The pot is 180 euros so after the last GW this weekend the following will be paypalled:

1st: 100 euro
    2nd: 50 euro
    3rd: 20 euro

And last place gets an honorable 10 euro back for their efforts (currently 265 points adrift is One Size Fits All on 1,470 points!!!)

I hope this is ok with everybody, let me know if there is any issues!

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Sky don't have much to showcase for the final weekend, relegation battle DONE, title DONE, 4th place 90% there. Not much to get excited about. Less if you watch United these days.

Nope, I know they just trying to build some tension and or excitement for the last day. I don't know if I can bear to watch the Bournemouth game after the West Ham game. It was a rollercoaster of emotion, I went from being so happy with Martial put us in front to being sickened and devastated when West Ham won it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I missed out of the comments re Welbeck yesterday but I think we profited from selling him when we did. He has been riddled with injury since joining Arsenal and has missed a lot of game time, he will now miss more due to the latest knee injury.

I know people were saying he would have been a good squad player but even if we had kept him he would have been out injured for a lot of time so it was better IMO in hindsight to take the money and let him go rather than have him on the sidelines.

Disclaimer: I don't wish any injury on him and I do not, repeat DO NOT want to start another Welbeck debate, just sharing my opinion :)

he got injured tackling sagna, his knee got twisted, could happen to anyone, very unlucky.

Re: Welbeck I think we grossley underpriced him for an English International starter, especially when selling, actually we nearly always seem to under sell players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Re: Welbeck I think we grossley underpriced him for an English International starter, especially when selling, actually we nearly always seem to under sell players.

On the other hand, he was forth choice for us, wanted to leave and has been out for two long injury spells in two years. Would say his price worked out about right in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

yermandan wrote: »
    Howayeh lads?

1 3 men and a Bebe 2,246
    2 Football club FC 2,121
    5 Devestated 2,102
    6 God Save McClean 2,100

The pot is 180 euros so after the last GW this weekend the following will be paypalled:

And last place gets an honorable 10 euro back for their efforts (currently 265 points adrift is One Size Fits All on 1,470 points!!!)

Who is 3 men and a Bebe? He's been top for ages, having some season.

20 points off a prize myself!!

bangkok wrote: »
    he got injured tackling sagna, his knee got twisted, could happen to anyone, very unlucky.

yeah I know, I saw it. It didn't actually look like much until I saw the replay. He's had awful luck with injuries...

anyway.....

Do ye think that LvG will put out a full strength team on Sunday or rest his "red zone" players for the FA Cup final? He may aswell just go for broke and try to go out with a bang and beat Bournemouth. (We may even score 2 or 3 goals!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

We don't really have a second string team to play anyway :P

Think he will put out strongest team possible, as he always does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

yermandan wrote: »
    Howayeh lads?

1 3 men and a Bebe 2,246
    2 Football club FC 2,121
    5 Devestated 2,102
    6 God Save McClean 2,100

Cheers Dan. 16 points to make up here to get second, so atleast I have something to play for on the last day. Hopefully there'll be more United players worth having next season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Surely the club is just being watertight and we have the deal in place. Mourinho isn't one to wait around and he wants to stay in the UK. Also going by the lack of jobs for him elsewhere, that surely makes it more likely...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I see one of the papers are saying we are missing out on that other Portugese guy now aswell. Jose mario i think is his name

They also say we are signing lassana diara, the journeyman who has played for almost everybody

how would people feel if mourniho came in the summer and his first signing was John Terry on a free?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Poch just signed a contract extension with Spurs until 2021. As expected the dinner with Fergie was nothing.

BREAKING: Mauricio Pochettino signs new contract at @SpursOfficial until 2021. #SSNHQ

Jose it is so

BREAKING: Mauricio Pochettino signs new contract at @SpursOfficial until 2021. #SSNHQ

Jose it is so

Or we're stuck with LvG for another season :eek: Surely surely not but I am now wondering if the club will stick with him.

Or we're stuck with LvG for another season :eek: Surely surely not but I am now wondering if the club will stick with him.

cant see it, the inter vice president basically told us all months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

how would people feel if mourniho came in the summer and his first signing was John Terry on a free?!

Don't even talk about that stuff!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I know we need a few cnuts on the team but that would be pushing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

a United fan isn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Surely the club is just being watertight and we have the deal in place. Mourinho isn't one to wait around and he wants to stay in the UK. Also going by the lack of jobs for him elsewhere, that surely makes it more likely...

Or surely he aint joining us.

i would hate it, cant stand the player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

So that's our list down to:

Jose Mourinho
    Mauricio Pochettino
    Keeping Louis Van Gaal and driving us all insane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

We are getting a new scouting auditor.
    Manchester United’s root-and-branch recruitment review will see one of their top jobs go to a scout who doesn’t physically watch football.

The unusual post - advertised as a ‘scouting auditor’ - is hoped to offer a fresh perspective to their floundering system.

Thinking behind the role is that it will evolve into one of the senior positions at Old Trafford and act as a form of quality control when identifying transfer targets.

Executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward is looking to expand the department to arrest problems United have endured since Sir Alex Ferguson’s retirement in 2013.

It is understood the new scouting auditor will not be expected to watch any matches themselves, not taking in any players personally.

They will, however, have the final scouting decision on who United should splash the cash on by collating various reports filed by other scouts.

Scores and notes from those in the field will be traded off against each other before the auditor - who must resist the temptation to watch any footage - takes an informed decision in discussions with Woodward and the manager.

Woodward is set to make up to 40 fresh appointments across the department in a bid to strengthen their hand in picking up talent.

There are advertisements out for senior scouts across Europe and in Asia as United continue the huge revamp.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3586588/Manchester-United-plan-appoint-scouting-auditor-won-t-actually-watch-football-overhaul.html#ixzz48ROFc471

Only positive I could see of united signing jt is that we could abuse him every game. I absolutely would hate if we signed him there is only a few players I really dislike And he is one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

So that's our list down to:

Jose Mourinho
    Mauricio Pochettino
    Keeping Louis Van Gaal and driving us all insane

Loads of other options :D
    • Giggs
    • Benitez
    • Koeman
    • Simeone
    • Pellegrini
    • Fergie 2.0
    • Brian Cody

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Oh please somebody smash our PA system for Sunday

He could announce his resignation. Van Gaal is an energetic, magnetic character that I really find enthralling.

He could easily send that crowd spinning in a daze, and that would be after him saying I'm leaving :)

I'd hope that regardless of what happens, fans in the ground don't embarrass themselves, and tar us all with a rep or image.

While it hasn't worked and looks like it won't, I've no reason to doubt he did nothing short but try his utmost best, and while on a hole it has been disappointing, he has definitely done some good things and he has definitely provided some great victories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

josip wrote: »
    • Giggs
    • Benitez
    • Koeman
    • Simeone
    • Pellegrini
    • Fergie 2.0
    • Brian Cody

Roy Keane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

zerks wrote: »

Can't wait for that to be a stick to beat people with. Article jumping there saying the final decision will rest with the auditor. That's nonsense.

Position seems very clear to be a person to do proper due dilligence on signings and outbound sales. Considering the amount of money involved in transfers now it only makes sense.

I believe a lot of big clubs have person or team who basically play devils advocate.

Prime example : "OK guys so this would be a new transfer record for Angel, this is a lot of money. Is anyone else concerned that he has publicly outlined his desires to play in Paris?"

I've no issue with some proper controls going in and structures getting tighter and more efficient.

The article itself though, they have had a little twist there to garnish reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

Roy Keane

I was trying to keep the alternative list realistic.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    On the other hand, he was forth choice for us, wanted to leave and has been out for two long injury spells in two years. Would say his price worked out about right in the long term.

Bitta aftertiming with that post I'll take the point about being 4th choice but when you see what English players go for these days I think we under sold at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

zerks wrote: »

That's really what we need another accountant in the recruitment of players, role...... knocking my own profession whilst I'm at it.:)

Woody woody woody.........just feck off.with LVG in arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Giggs
    • Benitez
    • Koeman
    • Simeone
    • Pellegrini
    • Fergie 2.0
    • Brian Cody

Davy Fitz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I was trying to keep the alternative list realistic.

Oh yeah so put Rafa benitez in there...

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Roy Keane

Would love to see him given his chance.

He'd still be better in midfield than the likes of sneiderlin or herrara

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

• Giggs
    • Benitez
    • Koeman
    • Simeone
    • Pellegrini
    • Fergie 2.0
    • Brian Cody

Cody would probably be higher up that list.

Martinez gone anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

jayo26 wrote: »
    Martinez gone anyway.

Don't tell Woodward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Replacing Giggs with Neville should be the second order of business after Van Gaal goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TheDoc wrote: »
    Can't wait for that to be a stick to beat people with. Article jumping there saying the final decision will rest with the auditor. That's nonsense.

Position seems very clear to be a person to do proper due dilligence on signings and outbound sales. Considering the amount of money involved in transfers now it only makes sense.

I believe a lot of big clubs have person or team who basically play devils advocate.

Prime example : "OK guys so this would be a new transfer record for Angel, this is a lot of money. Is anyone else concerned that he has publicly outlined his desires to play in Paris?"

I've no issue with some proper controls going in and structures getting tighter and more efficient.

The article itself though, they have had a little twist there to garnish reaction.

Based on what the article says, it seems like utter nonsense alright.

How could someone claim to be able to offer an informed opinion without ever having watched the player? JUST reading scouting reports, no matter how good, would not create a properly informed opinion. That can't possibly be right.

Having someone in charge of organizing scouting assignments and collating reports to be presented to the manager makes sense - final say on signings should be for the manager, but the organization and admin should not be just left up to the manager too.

Replacing Giggs with Neville should be the second order of business after Van Gaal goes

Yhh i think Nevile would be a decent addition hopefully people won't use the valencia job as a stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'd take Terry for a season tbh.

He might be a geebag but he would have a lot to offer younger players. Fantastic footballer in his day.

We kept Giggs after his shenanigans so why not.

Plus that champions league he helped us win merely sweetens the deal.

It would be quality considering how much we are hated anyway, can you imagine Jose and JT rocking up on the first day of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

jayo26 wrote: »
    Martinez gone anyway.

Have the Mourinho to Everton rumors started yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Wouldn't go near Terry. Aside from not being a likeable type, he is slow. The last thing united need is another slow player, the lack of pace and strength (Mata, Herrera) is killing us.

Pace, skill and strength are needed, but then again when aren't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

xabi wrote: »

I believe you just started them!!! :D:D

xabi wrote: »

Imagine the shame.

Balague la liga team of the season, cant really disagree with that

la-liga-team-of-the-season-guillem-balague_3464607.jpg?20160511174746

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Moyes back to Everton maybe?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement