Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Didn't realise the away kit launched today. Standing in front of it now. It looks like a pyjama top. Made from recycled polyester and is 75 euro. :/

Good bit cheaper on shootjerseys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

dubmick wrote: »
    Just can't see them announcing anything before the season ends.

In other news, Schneiderlin missed out on the French squad.

Pogba, Matuidi, Kante, Cabaye all have had much better seasons than Morgan. Not surprised really but the quality in that French squad is unreal!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

dubmick wrote: »
    In other news, Schneiderlin missed out on the French squad.

I feel sorry for the lad. He was a shadow of the player he was at Southampton. Hopefully this might light a fire under him and he will get his form back for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

statto25 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the lad. He was a shadow of the player he was at Southampton. Hopefully this might light a fire under him and he will get his form back for next season.

You look at it tho. It's youngsters who are raw that are thriving under LVG. It's like he coaches talent out of senior players. Make them stale, roaming around the pitch confined to patches. Sad really. Until he goes no players will get form back. He's poison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

astradave wrote: »
    I'd say he might actually take Welbecks place.. usually take 4 strikers and Rooney Kane and Vardy are certainties..

Sturridge, Defoe or Carroll surely ahead of him?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Its the hope that kills ya lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Its the hope that kills ya lads.

Can a mod put this phrase in the thread title?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I really don't see what announcing it before the end of the season achieves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

You look at it tho. It's youngsters who are raw that are thriving under LVG. It's like he coaches talent out of senior players. Make them stale, roaming around the pitch confined to patches. Sad really. Until he goes no players will get form back. He's poison.

I've wondered all season is that down to the young lads not knowing the "system" LVG wants them to play or do they just not give a feck and want to play football? Martials initial period was excellent and then he regressed slightly as he got pulled more into the tactics. I'm probably answering my own question here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Dya think it might have to come up in the investors call to Woody tomorrow. Maybe that's why they are releasing it now to please the investors and minimise the questions on the manager situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

I thought that it would cost United more to get rid of LVG while we still theoretically could get 4th?
    Somewhere I read a figure of £3m cheaper to wait.

josip wrote: »
    I thought that it would cost United more to get rid of LVG while we still theoretically could get 4th?
    Somewhere I read a figure of £3m cheaper to wait.

Jayo26, Jayop and Josip

Maybe Ed sees this as a way of getting back in the fans good books. Maybe he is feeling the pressure.

£3m wont brake us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I have my hopes up. Damn it.

Maybe Everton made a move for Mourinho and he used as a way to get United to act.

Or more likely..... It's all bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Ed Woodward owns a telephone, Ed Woodward has Jorge Mendes' phone number. All it would take is a simple phone call to say the deal would be done after the FA cup final but to keep shtum until then

If it happens tonight the man looks like an imbecile

Right its 1am, it aint happening tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

TvBgbGN.gif

• Well that escalated quickly..

Friday the 13th? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Ed Woodward owns a telephone, Ed Woodward has Jorge Mendes' phone number. All it would take is a simple phone call to say the deal would be done after the FA cup final but to keep shtum until then

If it happens tonight the man looks like an imbecile

I don't think there will be an announcement today - but it wouldn't be a stupid thing to do.

1. Investor call today - they CANNOT announce it on the call, but they could do so before hand and then use it on the investor call to show how the club is working to improve things.

2. Potential fan unrest/boos during the final home game of the season would be somewhat quashed I would think, better optics.

3. We go into the final knowing it is LVGs final game, and a (hopeful) win would be a great send off and it could be treated as such at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

The gif gave me a good laugh!! Good stuff zerks.

I don't think anything is going to happen today but let's hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I was a 100% certain Mourinho was going to be appointed this summer.

But would be surprized if its confirmed today.

Unless United are concerned that Negotiation with new players are not going well due to LVG being incharge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

astradave wrote: »
    I'd say he might actually take Welbecks place.. usually take 4 strikers and Rooney Kane and Vardy are certainties..

If Rooney isn't even starting as a striker for his club any more how could he step up to the requirements of being an international striker? I'd say Kane, Vardy and Sturridge are nailed on as pure out and out "strikers". No doubt Rooney will be accommodated in the squad given he is captain and his past record is good but there's no way Marcus gets ahead of Sturridge, Carroll or Defoe for that matter. I'm not saying he doesn't have talent and a lot of potential but he's simply too inexperienced and bringing him to the Euro's now could hinder rather than help his development a la Walcott being brought too early in his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

If Rooney isn't even starting as a striker for his club any more how could he step up to the requirements of being an international striker? I'd say Kane, Vardy and Sturridge are nailed on as pure out and out "strikers". No doubt Rooney will be accommodated in the squad given he is captain and his past record is good but there's no way Marcus gets ahead of Sturridge, Carroll or Defoe for that matter. I'm not saying he doesn't have talent and a lot of potential but he's simply too inexperienced and bringing him to the Euro's now could hinder rather than help his development a la Walcott being brought too early in his career.

I clarified that it was actually due to the FA cup that he was left out of the u21's.. I actually forgot about Sturridge being fit in fairness, in saying that Roy does weird things and wouldnt surprise me if he was brought along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

never wanted Mourinho, but the more he is linked with the job the more i have grown to the idea. I think he is the only man now that can take us forward....

shall i begin......"jose mourinho, jose mourinho, jose mourinho...."

bangkok wrote: »
    never wanted Mourinho, but the more he is linked with the job the more i have grown to the idea. I think he is the only man now that can take us forward....

If LVG does go isn't Ryan Giggs the pre-ordained successor? I thought this was the whole reason for giving Giggs the Assistant Manager role. If that was the plan it's going to be very hard for the board to look one of the clubs best ever players in the eye and tell him they are reneging on the deal!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

If LVG does go isn't Ryan Giggs the pre-ordained successor? I thought this was the whole reason for giving Giggs the Assistant Manager role. If that was the plan it's going to be very hard for the board to look one of the clubs best ever players in the eye and tell him they are reneging on the deal!!

They just text him instead sure...

In fairness things have not gone to plan tho really have they?

• bangkok wrote: »

He's not my choice either but I'm at stage where I want change full stop.
    TBF if Jose does get it he at least deserves a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

There's irony for you

Woodward - "Sorry Giggsy. We've been seeing other people behind your back"

Best ever players, yes. Best man for the job at this moment, no.

jayo26 wrote: »
    In fairness things have not gone to plan tho really have they?
    They haven't gone to plan ref LVG but that's not really Giggs fault is it? He's just along for the ride to observe a "top" manager in action close up for a couple of years before stepping up and becoming Man U's home grown version of Pep Guardiola. I don't think anyone really believes Giggs has much input or influence over how LVG is destroying the football club!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Yeah, just like he had no input or influence over how Moyes was destroying the club........of course if you go along with that narrative then what exactly is he doing?

Giggs cannot be absolved of everything, he is there, he is now part of two consecutive failed management teams, if he wants the United job he needs to prove he is worthy of it. His time as AM has done him no favors in regard to getting the big job.

I can't actually believe there is anybody who could make a case for Giggs honestly getting the job.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If that was the plan, then that was the endgame. The issue is that neither Moyes nor LVG established the set-up that the club recognized they needed before Giggs was put into the position. LVG was meant to be challenging for the title this season, and presumably trying to outright win next season. This would have handed Giggs the keys to a well oiled machine. So since part 2 of the plan failed, the final part doesn't carry through.

Yeah, just like he had no input or influence over how Moyes was destroying the club........of course if you go along with that narrative then what exactly is he doing?

Giggs cannot be absolved of everything, he is there, he is now part of two consecutive failed management teams, if he wants the United job he needs to prove he is worthy of it. His time as AM has done him no favors in regard to getting the big job.

I can't actually believe there is anybody who could make a case for Giggs honestly getting the job.

Thought you were talking about Fellaini there for a minute...:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

bangkok wrote: »
    Thought you were talking about Fellaini there for a minute...:P

evil+eye4.jpg

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

I don't think anyone really believes Giggs has much input or influence over how LVG is destroying the football club!!!

But surely that in itself is an indictment of Giggs, he's witnessing first hand the destruction of the club but is "just along for the ride" inferring that he sits idly by and doesn't take any action, whether that be to go above LVG's head or directly try to enforce his beliefs on how the team should perform.

Giggs being just along for the ride doesn't absolve him of any of the blame of this regime and wouldn't give me any confidence that if he was given the reigns that he'd have the wherewithal to halt the nosedive to mediocrity, which is the current trajectory LVG has Utd facing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They haven't gone to plan ref LVG but that's not really Giggs fault is it? He's just along for the ride to observe a "top" manager in action close up for a couple of years before stepping up and becoming Man U's home grown version of Pep Guardiola. I don't think anyone really believes Giggs has much input or influence over how LVG is destroying the football club!!!

As I have said before, if Giggs has no input or influence then he can't be demonstrating any ability to be a manager, if he has input and influence then as a coach he has to take responsibility for a team that lets be honest, looks very badly coached.

Either way should rule him out as manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

United are in a crap heap - giving the job to giggs just because in an ideal world you planned to.... is insane. There was maybe a plan, but the plan isn't working, so scrap it and come up with a better, new, plan.

If Giggs wants to be United manager, maybe buggering off and proving he has the ability somewhere else would be a good idea.

We need to get a top manager in. I'd have prefered Klopp or Guardiola - but we didn't get either. Jose is nex up, imo.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    So since part 2 of the plan failed, the final part doesn't carry through.
    Hard to argue with that really. Personally I think Gigs should have cut loose earlier in the season when it was clear LVG's 2nd season was only going to be more of the same and struck out to take one of the smaller PL jobs e.g. Swansea or Villa when the opportunity arose. He'd most likely have done a better job than Remi Garde did, that's for sure.

We need to get a top manager in. I'd have prefered Klopp or Guardiola - but we didn't get either. Jose is nex up, imo.

Klopp has adapted to the PL and England like a duck to water and has taken a mis firing unbalanced squad to a European final playing some good fluid attacking football along the way. With a few key additions to the first eleven (1 X GK, 1 X MF and 1 X striker) plus development of some very promising young talent coming through and a full Klopp style (three sessions a day) pre season it'll be interesting to see how much Liverpool will kick on next year.

I guess the same case can be made for City and Chelsea with the (possibly important) exception that both their incoming managers haven't had 6 months to get used to the PL and assess their squad capabilities and weaknesses close up.

If Jose comes to Utd I can see a major clear out dead wood e.g. Schweinsteiger, Valencia, Young, Depay, Jones, Hererra, Carrick, Blind and even Mata as he clearly doesn't rate him having shifted him once before. Funnily enough I can see Schneiderlin doing well under Jose. He likes big powerful players.

Shifting some of the above will make way for new players and upcoming talent.

The big question is will Jose get the job and if not what happens then :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

J. Marston wrote: »
    Jayop wrote: »
    God that's depressing.

Accurate like, but depressing as fk.

No, it isn't.

All these people saying "Oh God, we're stuck with Van Gaal forever." are just being miserable for the sake of it.

He is clearly, 100% gone at the end of the season.

We're not stuck with him forever - just til the end of next season - not being miserable for the sake of it but its increasing likely to be accurate.

I'm also not sure there would be "riots outside OT" however tongue in cheek that was. What amazes me when I go to a game is how many fans seem to accept we are where we are and there's not a lot we can do about it - the amount of Rooney worshippers in OT is stunning - even when he's clearly not bothered running to get to balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

J. Marston wrote: »
    Jayop wrote: »
    God that's depressing.

Accurate like, but depressing as fk.

No, it isn't.

All these people saying "Oh God, we're stuck with Van Gaal forever." are just being miserable for the sake of it.

He is clearly, 100% gone at the end of the season.

We're not stuck with him forever - just til the end of next season - not being miserable for the sake of it but its increasing likely to be accurate.

I'm also not sure there would be "riots outside OT" however tongue in cheek that was. What amazes me when I go to a game is how many fans seem to accept we are where we are and there's not a lot we can do about it - the amount of Rooney worshippers in OT is stunning - even when he's clearly not bothered running to get to balls.

• Return of the boards.ie dreaded double post :P

Coat22 wrote: »
    the amount of Rooney worshippers in OT is stunning - even when he's clearly not bothered running to get to balls.
    But he's a nailed on starter for England apparently because of the way he played.......years ago :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Its all good lads we have announced record revenue for the last quater.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Imagine how much money we'd be raking in if we were, ya know, doing well?

• Advertisement

Up 29.9%

Shame thats all Ed is interested in, LVG is staying

Not saying he isnt doing a great job away from the team but he needs to make the call on LVG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

No harm to have a bit of good news amidst all the doom and gloom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Make no difference, be all going to Martial bonus kitty if we were

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Imagine how much money we'd be raking in if we were, ya know, doing well?

Was thinking same myself. Why would the club worry about results when they see money statistics rising.

I know people are saying if the results don't pick up how long will that last but if you really think of it how much of the revenue is coming from or associated to fans that probably dont even know anything about results of the team or couldn't tell you who we are playing next or what position we are in the league.

Does that make sense??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Telegraph saying we're clear favourites to sign Ibra

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement