Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Telegraph saying we're clear favourites to sign Ibra

Since he announced this morning he's leaving PSG, everyone seems to have a different idea of where he's off to.

I would imagine that unless we get Jose, there's zero chance of him joining us. Would be a real winner to add to the team though, and would complement the youth of Rashford imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

When was the last time any of Real, Athletico, Barcelona, Bayern or PSG signed a 34 year old?
    Just checked Madrid for the hell of it and in the last 3 years the oldest player they've signed was 29.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Ed Woodward avoids reference to Louis van Gaal in Manchester United's latest financial results as club announce record revenue

Woodward instead praised the emergence of young players and excitement ahead of the FA Cup final

Manchester United today announced record quarterly revenues of £113.4million - but Ed Woodward didn't take the opportunity to mention Louis van Gaal in his statement.

The club are on track to become English football's first half-billion-pound club, predicting revenues for 2016 of between £500m and £510m.

But Woodward, United executive vice-chairman, didn't make any mention of under-pressure boss Louis van Gaal in his statement - despite doing so this time last year.

He said: “The conclusion to this year’s season demonstrates once again why the Premier League is the most popular league in the most popular sport.

"As we reflect on our season, we are delighted by the emergence of yet another crop of exciting young players that demonstrate once again our terrific track record of youth development.

We are looking forward to the FA Cup final on May 21st and hopefully winning this special trophy for a record equaling twelve times.”

The quarterly revenue figure, up 29.9 per cent, came as United also announced commercial revenues of £65.8m, up 37.7 per cent for the quarter.

he growth in revenue was largely down to United announcing five sponsorship deals in the quarter, including new global deals with Gulf Oil International and 20th Century Fox, a regional deal with YouC1000 [an isotonic drinks partner in Indonesia], an MUTV deal with Sina Sports in China and the renewal of partnership with Yanmar.

United also announced licensing deal with Columbia as Manchester United’s first official outdoorwear partner.

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

josip wrote: »
    When was the last time any of Real, Athletico, Barcelona, Bayern or PSG signed a 34 year old?
    Just checked Madrid for the hell of it and in the last 3 years the oldest player they've signed was 29.

When was the last time any of those 5 clubs were mid table fodder and went 3 years without a trophy though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I didn't see too many people complaining when we signed Larsson. Ibra is far better than him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Bayern signed Alonso just before he turned 33, I don't see the big deal once the player is still performing, which Ibra is

PSG also got Becks in at like 37

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'd have no issue with signing Ibrahimovic; i'd prefer a few other strikers, but as a short terms signing he would add a lot to the quality up front - and as LTSC says, he would aid the development of Martial and Rashford. Gives us another season to see what Rashford can do - whether he is a legitimate candidate to be first choice at a club that *wants* to win trophies.

He wouldn't be my ideal choice, but he's potentially a decent signing and could allow funds to be spent elsewhere (Greizmann for example)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

When was the last time any of those 5 clubs were mid table fodder and went 3 years without a trophy though

Barcelona 99-2004 :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

But if "aiding the development of Martial and Rashford" is the responsibility of a player, then shouldn't Rooney be doing that?
    If Ibra comes, should Rooney go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,766 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But if "aiding the development of Martial and Rashford" is the responsibility of a player, then shouldn't Rooney be doing that?
    If Ibra comes, should Rooney go?

Rooney should really be going regardless. He needs to be replaced, the job is to find the replacement not simply continue on with him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Chelsea have offered captain John Terry a new one-year deal.

I would have thought he was going to the US or China

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Chelsea have offered captain John Terry a new one-year deal.

Another messup of a transfer by Woodward :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

See Watford have sacked Flores as 13th apparently is not good enough for (ahem) Watford. Guy did a great job there and gets the heave ho.

Meanwhile at Old Trafford anywhere between 5th and 8th is apparently good enough for Manchester United
    :ermm:

Coat22 wrote: »
    See Watford have sacked Flores as 13th apparently is not good enough for (ahem) Watford. Guy did a great job there and gets the heave ho.

Meanwhile at Old Trafford anywhere between 5th and 8th is apparently good enough for Manchester United
    :ermm:

I dont pity Flores im sure he is a nice guy but he went into the club after they sacking the manager that got them promotion without giving him a chance in the Premier League it was hardley unexpected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Yeah, just like he had no input or influence over how Moyes was destroying the club........of course if you go along with that narrative then what exactly is he doing?

Giggs cannot be absolved of everything, he is there, he is now part of two consecutive failed management teams, if he wants the United job he needs to prove he is worthy of it. His time as AM has done him no favors in regard to getting the big job.

I can't actually believe there is anybody who could make a case for Giggs honestly getting the job.

I cannot fathom how he wouldn't be sent packing with Van Gaal. Part of two utterly contempted regimes. Those absolving him of any blame, need to answer genuine questions of what the hell he is doing.

So much is made in reporting of how he is "helping and working closely" with Memphis. That alone , if true, is indication he is ****ing terrible.

I'd have him gone with Van Gaal. If he has any designs on managing United, he needs to leave by his own terms, likely this summer, and go manage elsewhere.

I would be absolutely disgusted if he was appointed manager now. It has no basis in reality. I'd instantly turn into one of those fans who detests their club and gets melodramatic on a weekly basis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

If Giggs wants to be United manager, maybe buggering off and proving he has the ability somewhere else would be a good idea.

I think he knows his only chance is if he does the complete opposite of going off and managing a different side.

For instance we would never, ever do what Barcelona did and bring in Luis Enrique from Celta after a year - and after he had failed at Roma. Giggs would have to take over Swansea or another side and take them into the top 6 before we would entertain the idea. Which is probably fair. But hence why he's not going to do that.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I cannot fathom how he wouldn't be sent packing with Van Gaal. Part of two utterly contempted regimes. Those absolving him of any blame, need to answer genuine questions of what the hell he is doing.

So much is made in reporting of how he is "helping and working closely" with Memphis. That alone , if true, is indication he is ****ing terrible.

I'd have him gone with Van Gaal. If he has any designs on managing United, he needs to leave by his own terms, likely this summer, and go manage elsewhere.

I would be absolutely disgusted if he was appointed manager now. It has no basis in reality. I'd instantly turn into one of those fans who detests their club and gets melodramatic on a weekly basis

Legendary United winger tries to help young United winger, terrible alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Juan8 wrote: »
    Bayern signed Alonso just before he turned 33, I don't see the big deal once the player is still performing, which Ibra is

PSG also got Becks in at like 37

beckham always had unreal work rate, zlatan is very questionable. His performance in both Man City games convinced me he is not the player we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Juan8 wrote: »
    Legendary United winger tries to help young United winger, terrible alright

You appear to have misunderstood.

• Advertisement

You appear to have misunderstood.

I completely have :pac: I'm really not with it today, apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Not exactly 34 but some of the players signed who were 30 and 30+.

Madrid:
    Diego Lopez
    Essien on loan
    Altintop
    Carvalho

Atletico Madrid
    Filipe Luis
    Moya
    Torres
    David Villa
    Demichelis (even though he didn't play a single game)
    Cata Diaz
    Emre
    Tiago

Barca
    Mathieu
    Bravo

Bayern
    Alonso
    Pizzaro

These are the players since 2010-11 season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Van Gaal, "You don't always have to score goals, sometimes you can keep the ball."

From the presser apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,766 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Van Gaal, "You don't always have to score goals, sometimes you can keep the ball."

He is not wrong in what he says.

However, his philosophy fails when the team carries little actual threat to score meaning the other team doesn't need to waste energy chasing the ball as they know it will come to them and they just need to concentrate on being ready to attack rather than drop back to defend.

Teams like Barca play keep ball but the other team know that at any second they could spring into attack mode and score, LVG's Utd simply do not have that threat

Lord TSC wrote: »

2cfcty0.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Merse reckons we have to sign Jose.

He also reckons Martinez's style of play would suit Barcelona.

:/

Merse reckons we have to sign Jose.

He also reckons Martinez's style of play would suit Barcelona.

:/

I donno how they get paid to talk football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

That would be funnier if Jose was on the Elephant!

Antibac wrote: »
    That would be funnier if Jose was on the Elephant!

It wouldn't though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

During work I dont get much time to browse man utd thread and everytime I go home, listen to the radio and just hope the sports news will tell me LVG has gone :(

• Advertisement

They've waited this long, they may as well leave him in for the final two games. Win, lose or draw, resignation or termination, I expect the change in the days between May 21st-25th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

He'll be gone after the FA cup final. More than likely a few days after the dust settles.

Those expecting/hoping it will be sooner are hoping for something that's just not going to happen. Forget about it and just wait for the news a couple of days after the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

It's the hope that kills ya :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

In the article on Sky he has been speaking about next season. Indeed his mention of what he will do next season looked deliberately included as if he knows something.

"It's always the same, you have to evaluate yourself but also your staff and players, and then with that kind of people you have to communicate and listen to each other and that I'm doing. That shall be done also next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I don't believe a word that comes out of the club or LVG. Lies and deluded nonesense is all we get from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

CiU1Sb_XIAADXIl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Was looking at the odds for our next manager and when you take out Mourinho it is really depressing, Ferguson is around 8th on the list that is how bad it is.

Noticed that Blanc is second favourite for us and Mourinho now evens to PSG in some places.

That would be a real kick in the teeth if Mourinho went to PSG, I like Blanc but I don't think now is the time to give him a shot at the United job.

Hate looking at stats and stuff i dont see point in them I don't need numbers to tell me how depressing we have been I have seen 95 percent of our games.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Would any of you be happy with us signing Mane? I personally think he's a fantastic player. Id go as far as to say Id take him over Mahrez and I think hes a player that would interest bayern

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/731245012831358978

This could go on all summer month long...

FYP.

LVG wins the Cup and he can head off with another trophy on his CV,wins nothing and it will be "thanks for your time here,enjoy your retirement".Jose will be here by June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

irishfeen wrote: »

I love it

BREAKING NEWS!!!! "Nothing is happening" - SSN

As long as people don't get sucked in to the circus they will be fine.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

I love it

BREAKING NEWS!!!! "Nothing is happening" - SSN

As long as people don't get sucked in to the circus they will be fine.

It's fairly safe to accept that nobody knows anything! :D That way the hope won't kill you!

CiXYPLoWkAEZqyQ.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I'm convinced van Gaal will be our manager next season. Woodward seems to be able to accept football mediocrity while the club remains a cash cow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

glued wrote: »
    I'm convinced van Gaal will be our manager next season. Woodward seems to be able to accept football mediocrity while the club remains a cash cow.

I'm feeling very much the same. I'm actually starting to feel sorry for those who seem 100% certain that he is gone. Absolutely nothing concrete has come out to suggest LVG is leaving.

This time next month there are going to be some very angry rants I reckon :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

There is nothing to suggest that he wont be here next season.

I reckon he will still be here but god i hope he is gone asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I'm feeling very much the same. I'm actually starting to feel sorry for those who seem 100% certain that he is gone. Absolutely nothing concrete has come out to suggest LVG is leaving.

This time next month there are going to be some very angry rants I reckon :o

Yep, I wouldn't be definite about anything. I like Van Gaal, I like his arrogance, I would like him to succeed. But I cannot point to anything that says next season will be better than this season. Points are poor. General play is poor. And FA cup final aside, the 'results' are poor.

But I was generally of the belief that Van Gaal would not be sacked in December so long as he could point to a problem and convince the board he was aware of it and would solve it. My view is that so long as Van Gaal keeps the board convinced he is addressing the obvious problems on the field, he will keep his job. He will lose his job when the board lose faith in his ability to manage the problems on the field. Same as any other manager.

From that perspective, no one, least of all Van Gaal, is blind to the fact that the team has little or no goal scoring threat. Our attacking trio is a promising 18 year old, a potentially world class left winger and one of Mata or Lingaard. Our main striker at the start of the season has been so bad as to be pushed back to central midfield to somehow keep him in the team as captain. There is noise that United are chasing a right winger and central striker. Those are the most obvious issue United have right now. If Van Gaal is stating that privately to the board (ignore*everything* any player or manager says to journalists in a press conference) then he will seem to the board to be addressing the problem.

With Mourinho, I really, really, really do understand why people are so desperate for him. I hope the same people understand why others look at Mourinho and consider his second bitter departure from Chelsea, a club he probably loves more than MUFC. Either way, MUFC could have appointed him in December. They chose not to. Maybe he will be the MUFC manager next season, but MUFC are giving Van Gaal every opportunity. Given Van Gaals big talk about next season I would hope if the plan was to ditch him in the summer that someone with some human decency on the board would have taken him aside and had a word in his ear.

• Advertisement

Just reading the actual quotes from what lvg said:

"I have said I will be here next season but that is my opinion... The board have to decide if this is so... After this job I will spoil my wife... "

This is after Woodward not talking about him today in the conference call he didn't mention him at all.

Mourinho having no deal with united seems to be coming from his interview in Mexico I don't see it as a game changer sufe of course he has no deal what else is he going to say.

All ill say is that it is terrible poor management if the club does not know who our manager is next season its truly shocking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement