Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

jayo26 wrote: »

All ill say is that it is terrible poor management if the club does not know who our manager is next season its truly shocking.

But not surprising sadly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Just reading the actual quotes from what lvg said:

"I have said I will be here next season but that is my opinion... The board have to decide if this is so... After this job I will spoil my wife... "

This is after Woodward not talking about him today in the conference call he didn't mention him at all.

Mourinho having no deal with united seems to be coming from his interview in Mexico I don't see it as a game changer sufe of course he has no deal what else is he going to say.

All ill say is that it is terrible poor management if the club does not know who our manager is next season its truly shocking.

That's a strange way of looking at it. I'd say if they don't know by the middle of June it is poor management. At this stage they may want to see what happens in the last two games and decide if they want to change the manager at all. Only after they want to change the manager is it a good idea to start actively looking for a new manager in my opinion. They still don't know all the managers that will be available or may become available at the end of the season. I'm sure they may have a shortlist with more than one name on it unlike a lot of the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Imo, it's simply letting the team play without questions in the back of their minds. As soon as the final is over it will be announced. And for once I agree, City should be out of sight but because of the way they handled revealing their plans the club has been in free fall. United are trying to avoid that.

Of course time will tell

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

glued wrote: »
    I'm convinced van Gaal will be our manager next season. Woodward seems to be able to accept football mediocrity while the club remains a cash cow.

Once what happens on the pitch impacts on earnings it changes everything.

United are are a brand or franshise and success off the pitch is not totally reliant on trophies. Like the Dallas Cowboys for example. But minimal standards like playing in the champions league remain a must.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Regarding the club and the silence on the issue, I think thats quite telling. Van Gaal was vocal and critical if the media for the constant speculation regarding his future, specifically the effect it had on his players, primarily his authority over them when they are constantly being told he is gone. He has been sacked, or days from the sack numerous times this season. He feels undermined by the speculation.

The club allowing the rumours to continue without comment can be taken as van gaal asking them, or them adopting a policy of not putting any fuel on the fire, but given that van gaal is clearly riled about his ability to exert authority over the squad being weakened even a little I dont think its a big leap to suggest he would want the club to publicly support him and put the speculation to bed firmly.

That to me tells an impprtant story and gives real insight into the plans for next season and why I am sure he is gone. The cup may be enough to save him, but I doubt it.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Did people really think he be gone before the Cup final?

Optimistic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I can't wait to hear how his departure is eventually announced. I expect a club statement along the lines of "Manchester United have parted company with the manager today. He was not sacked, Louis Van Gaal pulled the plug on the deal." :P

Van Gaal was vocal and critical if the media for the constant speculation regarding his future, specifically the effect it had on his players, primarily his authority over them when they are constantly being told he is gone. He has been sacked, or days from the sack numerous times this season. He feels undermined by the speculation.

He only seemed to play more adventurous football and allow the team more freedom to attack when his position seemed until imminent threat. At various times when it seemed like the next result would be the final nail in the coffin the team produced enough to suggest they'd turned a corner but then as speculation rose that he'd get another year it was back to the same dull negative crap again the following week.

Maybe someday we'll get the insider story on what the players made of it all but to me it has looked like they'll be glad of a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I've avoided this thread in the aftermath of the west ham result + Sanchez transfer.

Anything of note happen over the past few days ?

Has Bangkok changed his mind on Fellaini yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

beno619 wrote: »
    I've avoided this thread in the aftermath of the west ham result + Sanchez transfer.

Short answer is no to both questions really.

Woodward made no mention of Van Gaal on the investors call (which could be something, or nothing), Van Gaal said he expects to be here next year, but it is not just his decision.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Never thought he would be gone. It's been obvious for weeks he would manage that game.

Had hoped they would announce it would be his last. There could be a sour atmosphere tomorrow and announcing Jose would take over after the cup would have alieviated it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Sky announced there is no deal in place. This is quite worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

where have i been i didnt know what happened with the sanches kid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

That's a strange way of looking at it. I'd say if they don't know by the middle of June it is poor management. At this stage they may want to see what happens in the last two games and decide if they want to change the manager at all. Only after they want to change the manager is it a good idea to start actively looking for a new manager in my opinion. They still don't know all the managers that will be available or may become available at the end of the season. I'm sure they may have a shortlist with more than one name on it unlike a lot of the fans.

Middle of June is basically repeating mistakes we have made over past appointments we are running around identify targets when teams around us have decided and at least approached players.

Also so the board leave it until final 2 games after a disastrous season we beat Bournemouth by say an own goal and city get beaten by Swansea we qualify for Europe then in cup we win on penalties what happens then we say we keeping lvg because we got a cup and Europe?

The decision on lvg should of been made months ago he should of been sacked in January or the club should of publicly backed him and put an end to the speculation for him and the team.

The only way the club can come out of it looking anyway intelligent is of they have in fact been in contact with jose all along and have identified targets and are ready to pull the trigger on them as soon as jose is announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Quick FPL related query lads:

How likely is LVG to rest/rotate defenders tomorrow?? Thinking of bringing in Valencia

Cheers cm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Munich a really well run club. Manager switch and they get their transfers done anyway. Hummels and Sanches deals done while United will still be chasing Sneijder in August.

Pheonix10 wrote: »

They are going on quotes by Jose in Mexico he said he has no agreement to take over anyone but like I said last night whats he going to say? He aint going to come out and say he does have an agreement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I wouldn't claim to be as emotional about United these days as some of you guys are. It really means a lot to a lot of people in here. I've kinda grown numb to the world of football as I got older.

But this LvG situation has me annoyed to even watch the games. I no longer look forward to a game with any pleasure. Mainly because I watch football for the emotion of it. But when all those emotions are negative angry frustrated emotions it becomes unwatchable. Its more about wondering what level of awfulness I'm gonna see.

Some of you guys who have United as a big part of your life must be tearing your hair out. If it annoys me that much I can only imagine what you guys feel.

They are going on quotes by Jose in Mexico he said he has no agreement to take over anyone but like I said last night whats he going to say? He aint going to come out and say he does have an agreement?

I'm looking for these quotes online but can't find them. Sky aren't in the business of looking stupid so I'd say no announcement will be made anytime soon if it does happen!

I'm looking for these quotes online but can't find them. Sky aren't in the business of looking stupid so I'd say no announcement will be made anytime soon if it does happen!

Gundogan says hi ;)

• Advertisement

Gundogan says hi ;)

Haha true, good call. But usually they are decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

The same Sky that ran with the Jim White story that we signed Benatia, hours before it was announced that he was going to Bayern? Sky are very much in the business of looking stupid these days. In fact ever since Sky Bet began, Sky have been more in line with the tabloids than the likes of the BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

GSPfan wrote:
    I wouldn't claim to be as emotional about United these days as some of you guys are. It really means a lot to a lot of people in here. I've kinda grown numb to the world of football as I got older.

I feel the same way. Can't get too worked up about United anymore. I used to be very emotional about them, but emotions have called down as I have grown older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

SSN used to be reliable,they are no better than twitter itk's now.Unless they give "confirmed" news then take their "sources say" news with a pinch of salt.

sigmundv wrote: »
    I feel the same way. Can't get too worked up about United anymore. I used to be very emotional about them, but emotions have called down as I have grown older.

Winning and losing are far less emotive for me than they used to be. It's the administration of the club that annoys me more these days.

I had more trust in people who run large organisations when I was younger until I saw first hand how incompetent some can be and how difficult it can be to get rid of them.

Politics, power struggles, outright corruption within organisations can mean people who are clearly failing at their job can stay in place because replacing them doesn't suit the interests of everyone with a say in it.

The current situation at the club stinks of boardroom paralysis because of competing agendas and a lack of firm leadership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

It's an absolute nothing headline.

It's the sort of headline that sounds like it's saying something but isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I think they timing would be perfect. Missed out on CL, announce that he is leaving by mutual consent after the cup final.

Van Gaal has his last game in charge and can go out on a high if he wins it.

Makes more sense to me than getting rid of him after the cup final, where if he wins it, it may be a little more awkward to spin.

Either will do obviously.

Korat wrote:
    The current situation at the club stinks of boardroom paralysis because of competing agendas and a lack of firm leadership.

Completely agree! There has been a steady decline since the Glazers took over, only stemmed a little by Fergie's genius. He has his own agenda in the boardroom these days, though, so he's not innocent in the current malaise.

Oh, BTW, "Sky sources" means little more than what we all can read on Twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Didn't LVG say we need a lot more pace and threat in attack.

Can really only see Martial and Rashford as currently meeting that criteria.

He's been saying that for two or three windows now...

Some people seem to believe every news item that says Jose is coming but they scoff at counter reports as though without base. When Sky have a story like that as their headline they are more often than not in the know. Sky said there is no agreement in place at the moment and I see no reason not to believe it, considering that it's not the story they'd like to be reporting.

Middle of June is basically repeating mistakes we have made over past appointments we are running around identify targets when teams around us have decided and at least approached players.

Also so the board leave it until final 2 games after a disastrous season we beat Bournemouth by say an own goal and city get beaten by Swansea we qualify for Europe then in cup we win on penalties what happens then we say we keeping lvg because we got a cup and Europe?

The decision on lvg should of been made months ago he should of been sacked in January or the club should of publicly backed him and put an end to the speculation for him and the team.

The only way the club can come out of it looking anyway intelligent is of they have in fact been in contact with jose all along and have identified targets and are ready to pull the trigger on them as soon as jose is announced.

Employing a new manager isn't just about getting someone who can sign as many shiny new players in the quickest time possible. The main idea if you are changing the manager is that the successor be able to improve the performance of the current team. We have a lot of players under performing on the basis of how they played with previous clubs. I would say we need two or three key signings and not a total overhaul.

And again, you seem to be of the opinion that Jose is the only manager in the world and they couldn't possibly be contemplating anyone else.

Just because it's what you badly want doesn't mean someone else is not intelligent if they have a different perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Some people seem to believe every news item that says Jose is coming but they scoff at counter reports as though without base. When Sky have a story like that as their headline they are more often than not in the know. Sky said there is no agreement in place at the moment and I see no reason not to believe it, considering that it's not the story they'd like to be reporting.

They really aren't..

Most people are not scoffing at the report as being baseless, they are scoffing because they are making a headline out of the interview that Jose gave citing "Sky Sources" which is bull****

The people here are going against people like you that hold Sky up as the be all and end all of Sporting journalism, when in reality Sky is as much in the know as your daily redtop. As I have said previously, since Sky Bet opened, their level of Journalism and reporting has gone from Tier 1 beside the BBC to steadily declining and now sit alongside the likes of The Sun, Star and Mail. Just a level above the Express and Metro.

And again, you seem to be of the opinion that Jose is the only manager in the world and they couldn't possibly be contemplating anyone else.

I keep asking this question and not getting a reply.

You'd think with so many reasonably knowledgeable football fans able to think beyond perceived wisdom there'd be an overload of options suggested.

If not Jose Mourinho, then who would you realistically like to see as coach next season?

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »
    They really aren't..

Most people are not scoffing at the report as being baseless, they are scoffing because they are making a headline out of the interview that Jose gave citing "Sky Sources" which is bull****

The people here are going against people like you that hold Sky up as the be all and end all of Sporting journalism, when in reality Sky is as much in the know as your daily redtop. As I have said previously, since Sky Bet opened, their level of Journalism and reporting has gone from Tier 1 beside the BBC to steadily declining and now sit alongside the likes of The Sun, Star and Mail. Just a level above the Express and Metro.

I guess we'll have to disagree. I think Sky would have many sources whose names they can't reveal and I think if there was even a shred of evidence that a deal is done they would be reporting that instead.

I know Sky publish a lot of rumours about transfers and such but not as emphatically as this report.

Korat wrote: »
    I keep asking this question and not getting a reply.

You'd think with so many reasonably knowledgeable football fans able to think beyond perceived wisdom there'd be an overload of options suggested.

If not Jose Mourinho, then who would you realistically like to see as coach next season?

A part of me wants to see Van Gaal continue because I think it would be good for the younger players and he has been so unlucky with injuries. Part of me wants to see Blanc come in knowing what he did at Bordeaux with a young team and after his experience at PSG. Part of me would like to see Mourinho too because he's the best at instilling a mental toughness and direction into a team. The only thing I worry about with Mourinho is that Rashford and other young players won't get a chance. And when he leaves after a few years we'll still have the same problems that we have now. It'd be just kicking the can down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

There are several managers who United could chase but for me Jose is by far the best candidate and he ticks most of the boxes.

I haven't seen a case made for anyone else who I would have as much confidence in to turn the club around .

Employing a new manager isn't just about getting someone who can sign as many shiny new players in the quickest time possible. The main idea if you are changing the manager is that the successor be able to improve the performance of the current team. We have a lot of players under performing on the basis of how they played with previous clubs. I would say we need two or three key signings and not a total overhaul.

Just because it's what you badly want doesn't mean someone else is not intelligent if they have a different perspective.

Firstly where did I say someone was unintelligent for not agree with me? I have never had a problem with that everyone has opinions.

And where did I ever say jose was the only manager for us? I have in past talked about Mark Hughes and I said about six or nine months the ago that pochetino should be Concidered among others but been realistic no other manager now is available apart from jose so tell me who else do you think is available to take over?

And again i agree with you on improving players one of my arguments for pochetino was and still is that he has improved the majority of the players in his spurs side instead of replacing them and I think klopp is doing the same at Liverpool too.

As you said we need two or three key signings I think we do to also thats why I'm saying we would be going around looking at players when everyone else are well on the way.

Dont quote me and make up arguments that dont make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Good news from Mata about De Gea.
    Spanish compatriot Mata told The Mirror: "I think everybody can see that he is very happy. He feels the love of the fans, being voted the best player of the season for a third time in a row.

"He's happy in the city, he's happy with us, with his team-mates and he's performing very well.

"I think he's very calm and he's focused on finishing the season well, trying to win the FA Cup and, after that, trying to be focused with Spain in the Euros. So he's very calm and I'm not nervous about his future."

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/de-gea-happy-man-united-mata#3cYODg6543JxZ3pK.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I hope that LvG goes but at least we can only have one more year - can't we ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I guess we'll have to disagree. I think Sky would have many sources whose names they can't reveal and I think if there was even a shred of evidence that a deal is done they would be reporting that instead.

I know Sky publish a lot of rumours about transfers and such but not as emphatically as this report.

Sky have no problem reporting anything. Even if it contradicts their own reports!

balIwcM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Looking forward to tomorrow, will watch the F1 race then onto the the battle for 4th place.
    I plan on having two TVs for the matches, United on the big screen, and City on the smaller one. I got Sky Q recently which makes it easy to set up.

I would love City to be in 4th place with a minute to go and then Swansea get a winner and we win our game of course.

Firstly where did I say someone was unintelligent for not agree with me? I have never had a problem with that everyone has opinions.

And where did I ever say jose was the only manager for us? I have in past talked about Mark Hughes and I said about six or nine months the ago that pochetino should be Concidered among others but been realistic no other manager now is available apart from jose so tell me who else do you think is available to take over?

Dont quote me and make up arguments that dont make sense.

Look I'm not going to go through the thread to see what you said in the past. I'm talking about your response here and your response here suggests you have Jose tunnel vision.

What do you mean 'the only way the club can come out of it'? What is IT?
    It reads like you're assuming the club wants Jose as the new manager and like you're using a bunch of media reports (with absolutely no connection to the club) to judge how the club are negotiating the supposed recruitment. Lastly, it seems the club's perceived intelligence is in the balance if they haven't already appointed the manager they may or may not be looking to get and if they haven't already initiated transfers on his behalf.

I don't see why the club needs to publicly back LVG. I think you and I both know that would not end speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Just imagine the thoughts of Swansea beating City and Utd failing to get the win :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

beno619 wrote: »

changed my mind on him why, has he done something amazing this season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

see PSG are again linked with a move for Martial.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

bangkok wrote: »

They can Fcuk off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

Ki wont be playing for Swansea tomorrow either

bangkok wrote: »

Strikes me as lazy reporting. The article it stems from says that PSG don't expect us to want to sell, or Martial to want a move. With Ibra leaving, PSG are going to be linked to every striker, especially French ones, under the sun. Nothing to worry about at all.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement