Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Tippex wrote:
    No longer a sponsor Marathon Bet are the clubs betting partner. I feel durty knowing that. Come on next 3 wins and then we can parade Jose....

Win the next 3 and LVG will be here next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

bangkok wrote:
    Biggest game in a long time now against West Ham. Hopefully get the result we want

Isn't it awful to hear that getting a result in a game to secure 4th spot is out biggest game in a long time
    That and 44 league goals this season and why LVG must go regardless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

As opposed to the man Chelsea deemed not good enough in Jose

Was it Chelsea though? City I'm not sure on result's heading to the announcement of pep how they were fairing out compared to Jose fighting against near a whole team revolt.

I think it will happen at United to, but the stability will be brought back to us (badly needed) just hope the boys at the top are quick enough to nip it the bud and move on, it was left to long at Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    So Spurs and Liverpool to challenge for the title?

IMO we don't need a rebuild just tweaks, two or three players and a change in tactics once hopefully LVG goes. Dare I say we are in better shape to challenge than anyone else? If we get CL tho....

If we get Champions League it'll be interesting to see if the squad is changed much. As in will many players be bought and not many sold? And if we qualify for Europa League, will it be prioritised? Squad obviously needs to be bulked up and given United's relatively poor injury history, it's hard to compete on all fronts. Not forgetting League Cup and FA Cup. When you think back to when United did the treble, compared to now even, you need a serious squad and a lot of luck on the injury front to compete seriously in all three. In fact it could be a long time before any English team does the treble, seeing how competitive Europe and the premiership has become.

brinty wrote: »
    Isn't it awful to hear that getting a result in a game to secure 4th spot is out biggest game in a long time
    That and 44 league goals this season and why LVG must go regardless

It's crazy looking at goals scored and conceded with United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think Mourinho is toxic and for the Eva Carneiro incident he showed his true colours.

I'd like nothing less than the best manager in Europe in the past 6 years who put together a team playing the most exciting, entertaining football that still yielded results. Very unlikely to get him, but imagine what we could do with Heynckes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

United finish fourth, get champions league football, bin dippers win Europa league and take that champions league spot. That would hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

stankratz wrote: »
    but by tomorrow will be thinking of the massive task the team has ahead in making it a reality.

I think we will win all 3 games, even knowing the mess that Van Gaal has made. West Ham have had a great season but we have beaten them already and we can do it again, and I refuse to be worried by Bournemouth or Palace.

It won't change the bigger picture and I know we have been crap against the crap teams, but I think we'll get across the line.

United finish fourth, get champions league football, bin dippers win Europa league and take that champions league spot. That would hurt.

It's five spots if Liverpool win Europa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

But we'd be in anyway. There will be five teams from England if Liverpool win Europa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Sigh, this cannot happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

4th place still gets CL even if LFC win the EL.

5 teams from one country can qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

All the talk there has been of the Pep announcement derailing City's season due to taking away power from Pellegrini - surely the same would be true of LVG if he was to stay on for next season given that it is very public he intends to leave the following summer anyway. So we have a manager that (I believe) the players don't want to be there, possibly staying - and it being near on certain he will be gone after the season ends. An unwanted manager with no real power - surely to feck not.

I think we will win all 3 games, even knowing the mess that Van Gaal has made. West Ham have had a great season but we have beaten them already and we can do it again, and I refuse to be worried by Bournemouth or Palace.

It won't change the bigger picture and I know we have been crap against the crap teams, but I think we'll get across the line.

Just think of the 3 point's dropped against Bournemouth, all the reason why we should be worried. Huge scalp for them getting another 3 against us at home.

We've one before that so all focus should be on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

This has been explained way too many times today:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Ye sure about 5 spots ? I thought England only had 4 allocated including the spot in the event of the Europa league winners being English. That's great then, or is it ? Will champions league football keep Lvg in his job ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

josip wrote: »
    I think Mourinho is toxic and for the Eva Carneiro incident he showed his true colours.

I'd like nothing less than the best manager in Europe in the past 6 years who put together a team playing the most exciting, entertaining football that still yielded results. Very unlikely to get him, but imagine what we could do with Heynckes.

exactly the reason I don't want him. find it funny that a lot of the fans that want him are the same ones that were enjoying his failure at Chelsea this season.

just thinking if lvg stayed and somehow won the league with the terrible football still being played would you still be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

We need two proven goalscorers to go with Martial upfront - striker, right winger.
    There is talk that Varane is unhappy at his game time and could move.
    We will sign a midfielder - Sanches.

We probably sign around 5 players.

Then onto current form.

United have got 13 points out of 18 for the last 6 games, only Leicester is better with 14 out of 18.
    West Ham 9 out of 18 points
    Bournemouth 4 out of 18 points.
    Swansea 10 out of 18 which is 1 worse than Man City.

There is an interesting stat Bournemouth in their last 6 away games have scored more than in their last 6 home games.
    For the same stat, United have the best current home form in the league.
    United have won two of their last three away games but have only scored 7 points out of 18 in their last 6 away games.
    Lets hope the form is improving even if we are playing rather awful football.

Well said user2011
    Let's think solely about the west Ham game
    They'll he crazy up for it
    1 they hate united
    2 last game at Upton/ Boleyn
    3 they're still in it for champions league and Europa qualification
    4 revenge for knocking them out of the cup
    5 95 still haunts my memories.... ludek miklosko you p***k

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Just realised, this day 3 years ago Fergie announced his retirement.

And this day 5 years ago we secured our 19th title.

I remember flying our from Cork and there were some murmurings of an announcement. Landed in Liverpool (of all places) to find out he had retired.

Anyways, three cup finals now. West Ham were absolutely shocking against a Swansea side who decided to go for their throats and surely we can overcome Bournemouth on the final day?

really the only reason I would like United to get 4th is to laugh at City.

I think United with jose as manager, in the europa league, is a better attraction for players that United with LVG as manager in the CL.

I also think we would be far more likely to compete in the league with Jose.

I actually can't stand the thought of LVG being in charge next season - I can see no reason, at all, to be optimistic with him as manger. Wouldn't matter what players we signed - could bring in Pogba, Greizman, Varane and Lewandowski and I would still assume he would turn it to crap. A useless, irritating manager.

Lads see a lot of mentions of Varane
    Great defender but can't get ahead of Pepe who's useless
    Is he really the answer
    A young CBS??? I'd prefer someone a big older beside Mike,because whilst he's been good this season he's not a no 1 center back for united
    He's no dolly or Daisy,Stam or johnsen or Rio and Vida
    He's a solid David may or henning Berg at best

We need an elite Centre back
    Hummels but he's off to Bayern
    Chiellini but he's injury prone

Could we go for Javi Martinez, probably a crazy idea but ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Hillsborough on the telly is a tough watch, it's time we stopped singing those awful songs.

patmac wrote:
    Hillsborough on the telly is a tough watch, it's time we stopped singing those awful songs.

It is time for sure
    It's childish in the extreme
    Hopefully it would prompt them to stop there one too....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

josip wrote: »

Is Heynckes not a bit old?

How about someone a bit younger who's actually worked in the last 3 years. Marcello Lippi might be open to a return to the big time, maybe Vicente Del Bosque would fancy a return to the club game or what about Ottmar Hitzfeld he's only been retired for two years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

patmac wrote: »

Do you be singing them songs?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

[quote=bangkok;

No, but thanks for asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

sky88 wrote: »
    exactly the reason I don't want him. find it funny that a lot of the fans that want him are the same ones that were enjoying his failure at Chelsea this season.

just thinking if lvg stayed and somehow won the league with the terrible football still being played would you still be happy

Of course we enjoyed his failure. Chelsea were(and will be again) one of the top teams in England and he was the hottest property in club football(along with Pep)going back to them. His return had seen them win the league again and they started his second season great until it all started to fall apart. Who wouldn't enjoy it and be glad to see it happen?

That doesn't mean we are going to cut out noses off to spite our faces. Despite his meltdown near the end he still remains among the handful of elite managers in the game today and is currently available and flirted with Utd big time when Fergie announced his retirement.

We want to see Utd back challenging and winning leagues and being competitive in Europe. Utd are in more trouble than a lot on here think IMO. A culture has set in from the top down of mediocrity and that won't be an overnight fix. We've gone from having man out of his depth that had lost the dressing room early in his tenure to a man who came in with a great reputation and CV to match(and also an eho to match) who arrived like a bull in a china shop, took apart the squad, was given millions and millions to build his own which he has done unsuccessfully and squeezed the life out of the football side of the club with his rigid boring unproductive possession football, dictating to the players what and how to play, not letting them express themselves whatsoever. Two seasons of ultra cautious turgid football. Overseen and allowed to continue by Woodward and co.

The club needs a long hard look at itself in the mirror and learn from the shambolic path it has allowed happen in recent seasons. It needs to get back on track and start challenging again. You don't have to be Einstein to see that Mourhino is the most likely to make that happen. In fact he more or less guarentees that.

The long term thinking for the club should be short term thinking IMO. We shouldnt be worrying ourselves about whether Mourhino would stay for more than three years or whatever. It's not a luxury the club have. The club needs to stop the free fall they are in and position themselves among the elite again. Mourhino is the man no matter what way you slice it. It would be folly not to appoint him based on a dislike of his personality.

Van Gaal has been a shambolic appointment. Easy to say in hindsight I know and I was very excited about his appointment at the time but the fact he has been left in charge this long is criminal. The club has been run very poorly in the last three years and those in power should be looked at when Van Gaal is removed. Realistically other heads should roll but very unlikely to happen.

Fergie and Gill retiring at the same time was a huge mistake by the club to allow happen and was always going to be a huge culture shock but they have handled it very poorly, amateurly at times and it still needs to be addressed.

I don't want an up and coming manager at the club next season. I don't want a manager that might not be a good immediate appointment but may be a good long term appointment. I don't want a manager who may be a good appointment above a manager who would be a better appointment based on personality etc.

I want the club to appoint a manager most likely to get us challenging again in as short a time as possible. I want a proven winner. I want a bit of passion back at the club. There only one man out there. The fact that he is out there available should be looked at as a gift by the club. Circumstances couldn't be better for the club to replace Van Gaal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Can't believe some fans would prefer to finish 5th behind City and not get CL just so LVG would get the sack :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

brinty wrote: »
    Lads see a lot of mentions of Varane
    Great defender but can't get ahead of Pepe who's useless
    Is he really the answer
    A young CBS??? I'd prefer someone a big older beside Mike,because whilst he's been good this season he's not a no 1 center back for united
    He's no dolly or Daisy,Stam or johnsen or Rio and Vida
    He's a solid David may or henning Berg at best

We need an elite Centre back
    Hummels but he's off to Bayern
    Chiellini but he's injury prone

Could we go for Javi Martinez, probably a crazy idea but ....
    Pepe's scummy past behaviour has somewhat masked people to the fact he's been a world class level defender for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

adox wrote: »
    Utd are in more trouble than a lot on here think IMO. A culture has set in from the top down of mediocrity and that won't be an overnight fix.

There are still people who just can't see this.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Can't believe some fans would prefer to finish 5th behind City and not get CL just so LVG would get the sack :O

I'll give you my reasons for it - all my opinion:

1. We will do no better under LVG in the league next season.
    2. We well do nothing of note in the CL under LVG.
    3. We will be of little attraction to top players with LVG at the helm.
    4. I don't believe the player we currently have really want to be managed by LVG either.

I've no hope for success for United under LVG, and getting 4th spot (and keeping LVG) so we can limp out in the group phase again (or the round of 16) really isn't all that appealing to me.

Yes, I would laugh at City/Pep in the europa league; but i reckon they would be clear of us in the league, which would make it less funny.

Honestly - another limp and lifeless season under LVG... I just can't geal with it.

At least if Jose takes over there would be some reason for optimism, a good reason to think things could change and improve. There'd be a reason to be excited to see what could happen. Not another season that feels like hitting the snooze button every weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I'll give you my reasons for it - all my opinion:

1. We will do no better under LVG in the league next season.
    2. We well do nothing of note in the CL under LVG.
    3. We will be of little attraction to top players with LVG at the helm.
    4. I don't believe the player we currently have really want to be managed by LVG either.

I've no hope for success for United under LVG, and getting 4th spot (and keeping LVG) so we can limp out in the group phase again (or the round of 16) really isn't all that appealing to me.

Yes, I would laugh at City/Pep in the europa league; but i reckon they would be clear of us in the league, which would make it less funny.

Honestly - another limp and lifeless season under LVG... I just can't geal with it.

At least if Jose takes over there would be some reason for optimism, a good reason to think things could change and improve. There'd be a reason to be excited to see what could happen. Not another season that feels like hitting the snooze button every weekend.

Why not be happy to get top 4 first and then see what happens come summer, maybe lvg will leave by mutual consent. Hoping United finish 5th is ridiculous

bangkok wrote: »
    Why not be happy to get top 4 first and then see what happens come summer, maybe lvg will leave by mutual consent. Hoping United finish 5th is ridiculous

Best case scenario is 4th and LVG getting booted out of the club - and if that were to happen: GREAT.

But... I feel Woodward keeping LVG in December was down to weakness and wanting to be seen as 'correct' over LVG, and if he gets 4th spot and wins a cup, I can see that being all the reason Woodward needs to keep LVG around.

I believe he should be sacked at the end of the season regardless, but I've no faith in Woodward to do what common sense dictates and what the club needs. The fact Woodward hasn't fired LVG already, gives me pause to think he is looking for any excuse to not do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I've begun to think that United players don't actually want to be managed by anyone.

They've basically been in a sulk since Ferguson left tbh.

They're like a bunch of pissed off teenagers, refusing to cooperate with their mother's [the club's] new boyfriends [managers].

"Screw you! You're not my real Dad!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

I have a good feeling that LVG will leave himself if we win the FA Cup. He's already mentioned how he initially only wanted two years and he hasn't mentioned anything about the summer or next season or his plans whereas before he was consistently talking about how the plan is to win the PL in his 3 year contract.

Winning the FA Cup, stealing top 4 from City and LVG leaving by mutual consent would be an incredible end to the season imo

he hasn't mentioned anything about the summer or next season or his plano

he has said in the last few press conferences he plans to still behere next season and the press would see him in august.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I've begun to think that United players don't actually want to be managed by anyone.

They've basically been in a sulk since Ferguson left tbh.

They're like a bunch of pissed off teenagers, refusing to cooperate with their mother's [the club's] new boyfriends [managers].

"Screw you! You're not my real Dad!"

There are very few of Fergusons players left in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Lukker- wrote: »

There are no fans of United that want that imo.

The vast majority of fans here want LVG gone which I can understand but I also think almost all of them would not hope we lose in order to achieve that.

Anyway I just saw someone reference the treble and can't believe it's not too far off 20 years since those glorious days. I remember thinking the 80's was a bygone age at the time. I guess there are a lot of people on here who don't remember the treble. What must that be like!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Do you be singing them songs?!

Common since to me would suggest that by "we" he was referring to Man Utd in general. The same way as I wouldnt assume you contributed to the Utd team in any way despite your use of "we" in these posts:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99623474&postcount=9292
    bangkok wrote:
    We beat West Ham and Everton, that is his level, I'm looking at the bigger picture, he has been here 3 seasons now and has played probably 5-10 good games in 3 seasons. Not good enough and to get back to the level we were at under fergie competing for the league and champions league he is not good enough

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99135068&postcount=4753
    bangkok wrote:
    if he keeps scoring and we go on a winning streak he wont be dropped. van Gaal is really impressed with him, great attitude as well

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99124848&postcount=4538
    bangkok wrote:
    have to say that was a brilliant first half. we actually look a threat going forward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

adox wrote: »
    There are very few of Fergusons players left in the squad.

There are still enough for me to be amused by my own sh*te joke. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

he has said in the last few press conferences he plans to still behere next season and the press would see him in august.

Just going back to your other post about how Pep being announced so early derailed City's season. Maybe United didn't want to risk anything like that happening and are just waiting to see the season out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I reckon that's all bollocks and it's intended to avoid the 'Guardiola effect'.

Funnily enough the performances have gotten better the more certain it seems he's leaving. :confused:

Just going back to your other post about how Pep being announced so early derailed City's season. Maybe United didn't want to risk anything like that happening and are just waiting to see the season out?

Fair point
    It's not the united way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Imo we don't deserve that CL place.

Absolutely dire ****e football orchestrated by a mad man at times

Young up front 🙄

Korat wrote: »

Funnily enough the performances have gotten better the more certain it seems he's leaving. :confused:
    Only, imo, in the cup. Performances in the league games has been sh1t as usual. The villa and Norwich wins were appalling stuff. I reckon the players are fighting more in the cup.

De Gea with match of the day save of the season. Was it even De Geas save if the season?

It was the one against Watford.

Korat wrote: »

The performance yesterday was as bad as the really bad ones

We could have sacked him and brought in Jose months ago, both possibly saving this season and putting us in a better position for next season too. Jose could have done all his squad evaluation and has deals for next season sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I predict Utd will go after Mahrez and Kante in the summer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement