Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Today's incident really sums up the season. Complete embarrassment all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It was like something you'd see in an episode of fawlty towers

It could only happen to us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

It's been a crazy week for United!!!

The football gods just don't want to see us play!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Embarrassed? Would ye stop. It's funny.

"Did you put away all the dummy bombs?"

"....."

"Fúck sake, Dave..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It's been a crazy week for United!!!

The football gods just don't want to see us play!!

Can you blame them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

To think we never have see LVG team in league again, now we have to wait till Tuesday!

Amen old friend
    Bemused I tells ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I think I'll have to take the day off work tomorrow. How can I show my face after this. F*cking morto lads!!!

I think I'll have to take the day off work tomorrow. How can I show my face after this. F*cking morto lads!!!

Get a grip
    Should be used to feeling morto after this season of fun....
    Trying being the only united fan amongst scousers and Spurs supporters

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

brinty wrote: »
    Get a grip

Absolutely unlucky...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

brinty wrote: »
    Get a grip

Sarcasm doesn't travel well through the medium of text.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Still lacking sufficient info on this tbh.

Where was the dummy bomb found in the toilet? It sounds like it was found by pure chance in a concealed area as many, many people would've used that toilet before 2.40 pm and presumably not seen it.

Not sure what the accepted routine is when it comes to security checks in toilets. Are you supposed to check every square inch where something could possibly be left or just a general sweep?

I'd hold off on blaming the club security until more is known tbh. The only thing that's clear at the moment is that a huge blunder was made by the private security company.

Sarcasm doesn't travel well through the medium of text.

It's a right bleeping pain isn't it 😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,855 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Sorry if this has been mentioned this evening but just saw a friend of mine who is a season ticket holder post an email she received on her Instagram basically saying the club will refund the cost of this fixture to her payment card and can attend the rearranged game free of charge. Proper order as ultimately we hired in these muppets whoever they were, also I am sure that they also we be receiving a lawyers letter... I am sure and I expect that the club are also in contact with Bournemouth in order to assure compensation of their fans as well as to lay on transport... A dead rubber of sorts but I think when **** like this happens a lot is actually on those who are responsible to make some sort of right and I'd much prefer to see a decent attendance for the last PL game and a little bit of a sendoff at home... fans deserve it, especially after that carry on today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Controlled explosion inside a toilet - I suspect we have all been there ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Well, any would be terrorist who lacks inspiration has been given plenty of food for thought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

The fact that this was a training exercise and not a real terrorist attack is the best news possible.

However, the fact that this was a training exercise and not a real terrorist attack is ridiculous.

Surely someone involved in that training exercise would have heard the news of a bomb in a toilet at Old Trafford and thought that it sounded familiar. The fact no one could get the information of the bomb being part of a training exercise to police on the day is the embarassing thing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Police Commissioner isn't a happy camper about the situation.

Cih4OruVAAAWc3u.jpg

EDIT: Some additional quotes.

Just to comfirmed the location of device.
    A Greater Manchester Police (GMP) statement read: "Shortly before today's planned football fixture, staff from the Manchester United ground alerted police to a suspicious item that had been found in the toilets within the North West Quadrant, between the Sir Alex Ferguson stand and the Stretford End.

"Police quickly attended and explosive experts were called in to assess the item, which has been described as an incredibly realistic-looking explosive device."

Assistant chief constable John O'Hare;
    Assistant chief constable John O'Hare said: "I am grateful to the Manchester United and Bournemouth supporters for their support and assistance today.

"Following today's controlled explosion, we have since found out that the item was a training device which had accidentally been left by a private company following a training exercise involving explosive search dogs.

"While this item did not turn out to be a viable explosive, on appearance this device was as real as could be, and the decision to evacuate the stadium was the right thing to do, until we could be sure that people were not at risk."

and Woody;
    Manchester United's executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward said: "The club takes security very seriously and staff are regularly trained with the police and emergency services to identify and deal with these incidents.

"We will investigate the incident to inform future actions and decisions."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

GSPfan wrote: »
    Surely someone involved in that training exercise would have heard the news of a bomb in a toilet at Old Trafford and thought that it sounded familiar. The fact no one could get the information of the bomb being part of a training exercise to police on the day is the embarassing thing for me.

Sunday afternoon so people involved were probably not at work. With the speed everything took place (the bomb was found and stadium evacuated and game abandoned in the space of an hour), it's highly likely that whoever left it there didn't hear of it till later. And if they did, they rely on a phone all into work (again on a Sunday, so who knows who is working) to start the line of communication. Especially if they weren't a soccer fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lads infairness if it was a dog training exercise the fake bomb is not going to be on view where you would see it straight away it sounds like it was found be stewards or security doing a security check on stadium toilets as the crowd was building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Anyway on the football side of things, Fellaini definitely available for the cup final which can only be a good thing.

• Advertisement

Could be worse, you could've been a Tottenham fan, coming third in a two horse race!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,348 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Will be very interesting to see what the line up is tomorrow night - we aren't going to be winning 19-0 so the result is rather immaterial as far as I am aware.

I would expect to see a number of the young players start. excepted for Pereira - never him.

• Hopefully they don't schedule that dead rubber game before the FA Cup final now.
    7 days prep would be ideal.

*Edit* Tomorrow night ....fs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

This evacuation is a non-story. Yawn.

Meh. Having the game tomorrow won't affect the FA cup final at all in my opinion. I've seen nothing to suggest United play better when they have a longer time to prepare. Its the same game plan for every team.

Cant wait for Louis Van Gaals sacking. Should happen anytime within the next 2 weeks yeah?

Cant wait for Louis Van Gaals sacking. Should happen anytime within the next 2 weeks yeah?

Next Monday, hopefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Meh. Having the game tomorrow won't affect the FA cup final at all in my opinion. I've seen nothing to suggest United play better when they have a longer time to prepare. Its the same game plan for every team.

It gives him less time to get his tactics across that can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The main negative for you guys is that the bomb scare farce has delayed the possible sacking of LvG by a few days.

The only question after Tuesday night is will they let him manage until the Cup Final or do the deed immediately once CL has been confirmed as dead and buried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Next Monday, hopefully!

Are we still allowed say 'It's the hope that kills you' after yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

gandalf wrote: »
    The main negative for you guys is that the bomb scare farce has delayed the possible sacking of LvG by a few days.

The only question after Tuesday night is will they let him manage until the Cup Final or do the deed immediately once CL has been confirmed as dead and buried.
    I'd say he'll manage the cup final therefore sacking not delayed due to match being rescheduled.

As bad as his football is i see no benefit in having a caretaker manager for the game where we could actually win something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

This evacuation is a non-story. Yawn.

What? It's the most exciting thing that happened all season in Old Trafford! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

It would be a risk but sometimes a jolt like that kicks the players arses to perform. United have a good squad that has been diminished by LvG's tactics this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

"If your team score more than one goal, or entertain the fans in anyway, the bomb in the toilet will go off".

At least LVG took it seriously.

app11ted.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

The thought though of somebody ****ting themselves as they realise it was them who forgot the bomb dummy is amusing. He's gonna have a rough Monday at work :p

He'll be grand, they'll give him another chance. Wouldn't wanna be seen as a sacking club.

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »

I personally never saw any chance of him being sacked before the cup final.

Most I could see was it being announced that he would be leaving in the summer, but I would have thought that to be announced before yesterday, to stave off a negative reaction to his full time speech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

There was no way he was going to be fired before the FA Cup.

What he might do is release a statement this week saying that the FA Cup will be his last game incharge and that it was his decision to Retire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    What he might do is release a statement this week saying that the FA Cup will be his last game incharge and that it was his decision to Retire.

What would be the point? Everybody would know it wasn't true and for all his bluster even Van Gaal isn't stupid enough to think people would believe it.

What would be the point? Everybody would know it wasn't true and for all his bluster even Van Gaal isn't stupid enough to think people would believe it.

why couldn't it be true?

Why couldn't he decide to retire rather than be sacked?

I think that wont matter.

I dont think he wants to get fired before he retires.

History will show he left the club rather then forced to Retire due to getting sacked

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Terrorist attack, in all honesty where do you pull them out of.

i know it turned out to be a false alarm, but i was only saying after the west ham incident that Man United/old trafford is a terrorist target, yesterdays events prove that Man Utd take terrorist attacks very seriously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

bangkok wrote: »
    i know it turned out to be a false alarm, but i was only saying after the west ham incident that Man United/old trafford is a terrorist target, yesterdays events prove that Man Utd take terrorist attacks very seriously

https://mobile.twitter.com/QuotesSimpson/status/656115631985569792

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The point of training exercises with security is to prevent injury and death. The fact that the training for these possibilities is the cause of the abandonment of the game is a disgrace for the security people who created this situation.
    It was a private company so United not at fault.

The right actions were taken but the situation was so avoidable.

Wonder how many of the FA Cup 11 LVG wants to field will play tomorrow - it has to be some, because the squad is so small.

I'd guess:

De Gea
    Varela---Jones---Blind---CBJ
    ----Schneiderlin-Herrera
    Pereira
    Mata
    Young
    Rooney

Could see Romeo in for DDG, only have DDG in because a clean sheet would put him level with Cech for most clean sheets this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

RobertKK wrote: »
    The point of training exercises with security is to prevent injury and death. The fact that the training for these possibilities is the cause of the abandonment of the game is a disgrace for the security people who created this situation.

The right actions were taken but the situation was so avoidable.

Whilst I agree the fault lies with the security company. How does the device go unnoticed for 4 days. Are there not daily checks of the ground. Especially coming up to match day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

RobertKK wrote: »

I'd say its 80% the private company, 20% whoever runs United's security.

The private company had a massive, massive lapse by forgetting to get their fake bombs and count inventory before leaving. Thats highly unprofessional, and is going to be a source of embarrassment for whoever was running the drill.

At the same time, you would hope such an obvious target like Old Trafford would have thorough security sweeps before 75 thousand people entered the stadium. That a bomb (fake or not) could sit in a toilet for over three days before it was found, and only found once people were in the stadium, is a massive lapse in security. Its not even, by all accounts, as if it was massively well hidden; the toilets, due to their public nature, would be one of the prime places to check before a match in case of anything suspicious. You would imagine the securit teams do sweeps of the stadium before the crowds even get near the building.

As I said, the majority of the blame falls on the heads of the private company, and I would imagine United will successfully sue them for loss of earnings. But that doesn't absolve the security staff at the grounds of their role in the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Whilst I agree the fault lies with the security company. How does the devise go unnoticed for 4 days. Are there not daily checks of the ground. Especially coming up to match day.

the device was hidden, that was the whole point of the security check and sniffer dogs, but whoever left it there will surely be out of a job this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

the device was hidden, that was the whole point of the security check and sniffer dogs, but whoever left it there will surely be out of a job this morning

Any where that a device can be hidden should be checked! Anyone who wants to leave a bomb lying around, isn't going to, you know, leave it out for all to see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

AH pull the other one. Even trying to give your statement justification by what happened yesterday. A terrorist attack at old Trafford is as likely as any other venue in the UK. Minimal, as statistics show it simply doesn't happen all that often in the UK. Preparing for the worst and then using that preparation as a means to justify a ridiculous statement is just, well ridiculous.

Scaremongering doesn't make it true.

What I dont understand is How someone went in with say 10 fake devices and came out with 9 and didnt notice.

I would have also thought that Uniteds security team would have done a full sweep of the stadium before they opened the gates to supporters

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement