Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    What I dont understand is How someone went in with say 10 fake devices and came out with 9 and didnt notice.

I would have also thought that Uniteds security team would have done a full sweep of the stadium before they opened the gates to supporters

a serious oversight and 1 that will get them fired this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,362 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

What I dont understand is How someone went in with say 10 fake devices and came out with 9 and didnt notice.

I would have also thought that Uniteds security team would have done a full sweep of the stadium before they opened the gates to supporters

CIA left explosive materials on a school bus recently.

Similar happened at Dublin airport - explosive materials were put in somones bag - they still got through security and it was only spotted at the flight destination.

But yeah, you'd think that would be the type of checklist auditing item that would be most concerning.

As for whether the security team would do a full sweep - I am sure they do, United taken security (apparently) very seriously, but I would also think it 100% impossible to 100% verify every single part of the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

CIA left explosive materials on a school bus recently.

Similar happened at Dublin airport - explosive materials were put in somones bag - they still got through security and it was only spotted at the flight destination.

But yeah, you'd think that would be the type of checklist auditing item that would be most concerning.

As for whether the security team would do a full sweep - I am sure they do, United taken security (apparently) very seriously, but I would also think it 100% impossible to 100% verify every single part of the ground.

I thought they might at least check the Toilets lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Probably a bit of the aul "That's someone else's job" about it.

I thought they might at least check the Toilets lol

And they probably did - but still missed it. A cause for concern itself, no doubt, but i don't think it is evidence that no sweep was done.

From a legal/liability standpoint, I simply don't think United or any other club (or anyone holding an event) would get away with not conducting sweeps.

I guess its probably the last we will here of it now.

And they probably did - but still missed it. A cause for concern itself, no doubt, but i don't think it is evidence that no sweep was done.

From a legal/liability standpoint, I simply don't think United or any other club (or anyone holding an event) would get away with not conducting sweeps.

The private company that did the security check, sniffer dogs etc on wednesday are professionals. It was their job to plant bombs all over old trafford, they probably had a few hours to set up alone before the sniffer dogs were sent in.

the old trafford security team would have done a basic security check during the week and on match day would have done a proper one. they found the "bomb" and cleared the stadium quickly. A good job from all involved, no panic around the stadium and everyone got out safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Rashford is in the England squad.

Shaw is not, thank god.

They only have 3 center backs which i reckon will come back to haunt them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Jaysus, I hope they don't break rashford. Way too early for him, IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Rashford is in the England squad.

Shaw is not, thank god.

They only have 3 center backs which i reckon will come back to haunt them

Only the provisional squad, hopefully Rashford drops out, id like him to not be overhyped and given a bit of a rest over the summer! He's been involved for a few months at a senior level, a break and a fresh start next season would be ideal for him and United.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Only the provisional squad, hopefully Rashford drops out, id like him to not be overhyped and given a bit of a rest over the summer! He's been involved for a few months at a senior level, a break and a fresh start next season would be ideal for him and United.

I would reckon himself, Delph and Townsend most likely to drop from that squad. Can't see Rashford getting picked unless one of the other forwards gets injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I think Rashford is just in the squad for the experience for the upcoming friendlies. He won't be going barring injuries.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Its crazy the level of hype thats being put on a kid who has played all of 15 games, and preformed very well in about half of them. I worry about the way some people seem to want to base our transfer dealings round Rashford too; I've seen people argue we dont need another striker since we have him.

Rashford has had a few very impressive games, but he's still a kid, and really should be our 3rd choice striker right now. For his development sake, he shouldn't be expected to be playing every.single.game next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Agreed, many a young English player has been ruined by the pressure of too many games then being called up for country as well. Whatever about call ups for friendlies to blood the new generation, a player like Rashford who has only had half a senior season under his belt shouldn't be in the squad for a major tournament like the Euros.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Its crazy the level of hype thats being put on a kid who has played all of 15 games, and preformed very well in about half of them. I worry about the way some people seem to want to base our transfer dealings round Rashford too; I've seen people argue we dont need another striker since we have him.

Rashford has had a few very impressive games, but he's still a kid, and really should be our 3rd choice striker right now. For his development sake, he shouldn't be expected to be playing every.single.game next year.
    Agree completely - I really like the kid but right now we don't really know if he will be boom or bust, to be relying on him (and planning to do so again next season) would reflect poorly on the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Read PSG are naming one of the stands after zlatan, i know they don't have much history but just seems stupid for a guy that was only with the club for 4 years, interested bin seeing if we sign him

While being concerned over Rashford - must say it should be a great experience for him, even if he misses the cut for France - being in/around the England squad in the build up will be good for him.

While being concerned over Rashford - must say it should be a great experience for him, even if he misses the cut for France - being in/around the England squad in the build up will be good for him.

Yeah, I'm sure that's the thinking behind it. He's going to be a future England player and it will be a very good experience to get in and around the squad. He'll probably get a run out in one of the friendlies as well.

• Jaysus, I hope they don't break rashford. Way too early for him, IMO

Rooney was 18 @ Euro 2004 and made a huge impact
    Think it's a great idea regardless if he starts or not.

M!Ck^ wrote: »

rooney made his breakthrough at 16 and was one of the best young english players of all time, probably had 2 seasons behind him as well with everton

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

The problem is not having him in the squad thats the great bit for him.. The problem is if they try depend on him and put pressure on him then it's not so much a good experience and its more of a burden and he dont want or need that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Ugh... Waiting for LVG to go so I can start being excited about next season is a pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

jayo26 wrote: »
    The problem is not having him in the squad thats the great bit for him.. The problem is if they try depend on him and put pressure on him then it's not so much a good experience and its more of a burden and he dont want or need that.

Isn't that what his club did...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

No good can come of playing for England, I hope Rashford drops out of the squad before the tournament and get's a rest this summer.

Rooney was much more developed at 18 than Rashford is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Isn't that what his club did...

Yeh it is But that dont make it right or make it best for him.

Playing for England compaired to playing for united is totally different. If he missed an important chance in the 92nd minute playing for England he would be vilified by all the country they like to make scapegoats. The press would find out what he had for breakfast and say he should of had something else you know how it works with the England team.

• bangkok wrote: »
    rooney made his breakthrough at 16 and was one of the best young english players of all time, probably had 2 seasons behind him as well with everton

That's all well and good but nothing to say an eager and young Rashford couldn't make an impact if given the chance.

Isn't that what he done this season for Utd so why say it's too soon?

Is it true that including Rashford we will only have 3 English internationals in our team

Smalling , Rooney and Rashford?

That's all well and good but nothing to say an eager and young Rashford couldn't make an impact if given the chance.

Isn't that what he done this season for Utd so why say it's too soon?

Because some people feel the kid who has played a couple of handfuls of games has shown the inconsistency associated with his inexperience - and that there are still question marks over his talents and potential; thus potentially being relied upon for a major international finals could be too much and too soon for him.

It could be great, sure, but it could be too soon. Its an opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Anyone else get the feeling of real incompetence behind the scenes running the club? At least on the football side (signing up new sponsors seems to be going well).
    • Training exercise "bomb" (now costing the club 3m in refunds in getting good will back)
    • West Ham fans attacking bus (not entirely their fault, but they could have left earlier)
    • Tottenham bus (seemed to be leaving late)
    • Managerial situation, letting LVG hang on when he has no right to hang on, he was clearly broken back in 2015, whether they replace him or not, the club look like idiots
    • Carrick contract, seems to be getting his game week in/out, can now leave on a free
    • Freezing players out for trivial reasons (Valdes, ADM, Januzaj)
    • Letting deadwood go, but no backup plan to replace them
    • The sparsity of the squad over Nov/Dec, two defensive crises two seasons in a row is on the management to fix, and can't be blamed on bad luck
    • Constant list of injured players, will Jones ever be back? He's getting like Hargreaves now
    • Keeping players rather than letting them leave sooner (Anderson hung around far longer than he deserved to, Powell is still there)
    • Paying 4m over Fellaini's fee by dithering for a few weeks
    • Getting in two managers in a row that couldn't start till near pre-season
    • Keeping Vidic as captain when he announced he was leaving
    • Paying the highest fees in the league to agents
    • Losing 15m on ADM in one year

There's probably more, but they're top of mind, it just seems very amateurish, even compared to other teams in the league, especially when all taken together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

He's only in the provisional squad for the friendlies. If he performs well in them and gets a few goals then why not bring him? If he doesn't then he'll be dropped. It's not a big deal either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Even if Rashford is brought, he won't be getting any game time barring a serious injury crisis. So wouldn't be harmful to his development. More experience under his belt and a summer of good coaching at the English set up without actually playing many minutes.

Even if Rashford is brought, he won't be getting any game time barring a serious injury crisis. So wouldn't be harmful to his development. More experience under his belt and a summer of good coaching at the English set up without actually playing many minutes.

in that case you would be weighing up the benefits of the experience against the loss or rest/recuperation time in the summer and missing out on a proper pre-season at club level.

• Because some people feel the kid who has played a couple of handfuls of games has shown the inconsistency associated with his inexperience - and that there are still question marks over his talents and potential; thus potentially being relied upon for a major international finals could be too much and too soon for him.

It could be great, sure, but it could be too soon. Its an opinion.

Yes as was mine. I do understand what an opinion is.

Nobody is implying he should be relied upon. Getting a subs appearance and leading the line are two different things. More than likely he most certainly won't start in the first 11.
    The whole "It's too soon" is a cliche.
    Being there he gains experience without even playing.
    If he plays it's an added bonus nothing more nothing less.

And anyway not every player has his impact at the same time. People can say Rooney had a season or 2 with Everton behind his belt but at the end of the day he made his real impact playing for England at a major tournament.
    And hey presto - Fergie does everything in his power to sign him in August after the tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Is it true that including Rashford we will only have 3 English internationals in our team

Smalling , Rooney and Rashford?

No. It might be true that we have 3 of them picked in the Euros squad though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Even if Rashford is brought, I wouldn't worry to much about overloading him.

There is no chance he will start ahead of the likes of Vardy, Kane, Sturridge and even Rooney.

If anything he will benefit from the experience and hopefully with the right manager, will flourish next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

he could get a full game in the third group match if it's a dead rubber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

astrofool wrote: »
    Anyone else get the feeling of real incompetence behind the scenes running the club? At least on the football side (signing up new sponsors seems to be going well).
    • Training exercise "bomb" (now costing the club 3m in refunds in getting good will back)
    • West Ham fans attacking bus (not entirely their fault, but they could have left earlier)
    • Tottenham bus (seemed to be leaving late)
    • Managerial situation, letting LVG hang on when he has no right to hang on, he was clearly broken back in 2015, whether they replace him or not, the club look like idiots
    • Carrick contract, seems to be getting his game week in/out, can now leave on a free
    • Freezing players out for trivial reasons (Valdes, ADM, Januzaj)
    • Letting deadwood go, but no backup plan to replace them
    • The sparsity of the squad over Nov/Dec, two defensive crises two seasons in a row is on the management to fix, and can't be blamed on bad luck
    • Constant list of injured players, will Jones ever be back? He's getting like Hargreaves now
    • Keeping players rather than letting them leave sooner (Anderson hung around far longer than he deserved to, Powell is still there)
    • Paying 4m over Fellaini's fee by dithering for a few weeks
    • Getting in two managers in a row that couldn't start till near pre-season
    • Keeping Vidic as captain when he announced he was leaving
    • Paying the highest fees in the league to agents
    • Losing 15m on ADM in one year

There's probably more, but they're top of mind, it just seems very amateurish, even compared to other teams in the league, especially when all taken together.

Ah lot of this nonsense, your first three points are all outside the clubs control, freezing out players has happened all the time for numerous reasons. There is so many of those things that aren't in the clubs control. Di Maria leaving was disappointing but the guy hadn't got the heart to be there and fight for his team.

Yes dithering over Fellaini was stupid, but it was 3 years ago. Agent fees come part and parcel of being huge spenders in the last few seasons .

The only other mismanagement/incompetence is around LVG, the club for whatever reason will let him see the season out. When Jose deal was first reported it was said he request a break before starting in the summer. For all we know this deal could have been in place for 6 months, we and most journalists have no way of knowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Surprised with Carrick being dropped, he's their best centre midfielder

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »

It would have been a surprise if he had been in it. He's been criminally overlooked by England over the years but I think they made they right call not bringing him for the Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

I would imagine that is the end of his England career

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I don't think there's any benefit for a Utd youngster in playing international football other than selling a few shirts and increasing their marketability. It might apply to someone at a club in some obscure backwater getting the chance to work with better coaches and train with better players. Utd players are not going to learn anything that will make them a better player for the club but it's a long standing football cliché that will get trotted out every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Police Commisioner has some neck on him with that statement he released.

Surprisingly not being picked up on by journalists who all seem to be twisting this into "Manchester United embarrassment" narrative(eagerly awaiting someone to write how it wouldn't happen under Ferguson) but I'd say one of the bigger questions here is how GMP bomb experts and Army Ordinance disposals units, were unable to identify it as a training device, and carried out a controlled explosion.

As someone who knows a bomb disposal expert, he was saying last night the only embarrassment here is on the two units involved.

I think it's a big ridiculous in general there is a blame game going on. There was an incident, and thankfully it turned out not to be real, but it provided a real life scenario for everyone to see and use as a test case going forward "what would happen" in that scenario. By all accounts our stewards and staff responded impeccably, and police around the area managed the situation expertly in terms of evacuating the ground. I heard Sky this morning reporting on the financial cost of the incident and there is a certain unbelievable aspect.

It is still a game of football, regardless of how many 0's get included onto it's value or revenue. It's a game of football.

Have to say my first reaction when the "truth" emerged was that it was more then likely a creditable device, and that story was agreed upon to mitigate any fears or panic. I simply cannot believe that two trained explosive units could not identify a training device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

dubmick wrote: »
    I would imagine that is the end of his England career

I don't know why he ever went back to be honest.

• Advertisement

Hococop wrote: »
    Read PSG are naming one of the stands after zlatan, i know they don't have much history but just seems stupid for a guy that was only with the club for 4 years, interested bin seeing if we sign him

Their game against Nantes stopped from the 10th - 11th minute as the ground and players applauded him.

I thought at first it was cringy, then you realise this is one of the best strikers in the game, that came along to PSG with their new investment, but has spearheaded their rise into what eventually will be a potential super power. He has nearly single handedly increased the exposure and interest in the league, which for years was simply not accounted for or viewed.

I never watched French football, ever. But I started when he arrived with PSG and it was mostly just catching a quick highlights package once a week. Now on a Friday when I'm in the misses parents house, me and the father in law sit and watch Ligue 1 on Setanta.

That's two Irish people now watching Ligue 1 once a week, that never did before. And Zlatan was the catalyst for it. You just simply speculate how that scenario might be replicated around the world, and I then understand why he received the plaudits and send off he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

I'd like to see Rashford go. Great experience for him even if he gets no game time.

I've never known a footballer to improve sitting at home.

bangkok wrote: »

Worth noting though that Rooney had **** all involvement with england under age setups. I see today a lot of commentary from people, pundits and journalists mentioning Rashfords lack of underage involvement as some form of barrier to entry.

I doubt Rashford will go, very much one of the three to get cut from the final squad (Feel Drinkwater and Delph will get cut) but as mentioned elsewhere good exposure for him and a reward for a great arrival into the game. Regardless of age or situation, he came into the Manchester United team and scored goals, and has very much resided Rooney upon his arrival, to being shoehorned into midfield.

Tyson Fury wrote: »

Dier has been a far superior holding midfielder this premier league season, and Hodgson likes Wilshere there, who is when fit a far better player.

Carrick doesn't belong anywhere near this squad. He was criminally overlooked for a period of his career, as England struggled with the Lampard/Gerrard conundrum(when the answer was obvious), and all the ridiculous experiments like Milner and Scott Parker (epic lols) but his omission is totally justified imo.

Henderson is a surprise inclusion for me time and time again. I don't think I've ever seen him play well for England, and I know F365 in their ladder constantly ask what the hell he does in an England shirt to warrant his near invincible status in selection. TBH could say the same for Liverpool but I only see them a handful a season. Henderson looks like such a bang average player that I don't understand his purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We just need to score a goal every 5 minutes against Bournemouth

Perfectly doable

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement