Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Sky Sports saying Ibra's agent is denying any contract offer from United :(

Tell him to embrace it ;);););)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Rachel Riley said the Manchester teams unite against Liverpool when either is playing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Sky Sports saying Ibra's agent is denying any contract offer from United :(

Well seeing as LVG is still the manager atm, I sure as feck can't see him say that there was contact. It would undermine LVG especially as it's widely known that they dislike each other and it's been reported numerous times that Zlatan would not join if LVG is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Griezmann in talks for a new contract at Atletico, no surprise given how good a team he is in.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Griezmann in talks for a new contract at Atletico, no surprise given how good a team he is in.

He would be crazy to leave there as long as they keep the manager. Love him as a player but he seems so settled and they love him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Sometimes I forget that Schweinsteiger is a United player, really done nothing since he's come sadly

A lesson there for those who would heed it.

Get excited about Zlatan if you want, but he will be 35 at the start of October, coming into a far faster league for a team that has barely had a functioning attack in nearly three years. And even thats assuming that Van Gaal won't be there to **** him up. No, I wouldn't put too much faith in Zlatan to be honest, and thats not being negative, its being realistic. He's only a few months younger than Gerrard for gods sake, would anybody suggest signing him?

I've said it before, if we want to get back on top we need to look at tomorrows superstars, not yesterdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

I've said it before, if we want to get back on top we need to look at tomorrows superstars, not yesterdays.

I see no harm what so ever in Zlatan coming in for a year; won't play every game but his class will rub off on Martial and Rashford. Would hope he would be more of a Larsson than a Falcao.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭josip

Or an Owen

I see no harm what so ever in Zlatan coming in for a year; won't play every game but his class will rub off on Martial and Rashford. Would hope he would be more of a Larsson than a Falcao.

Harm wouldn't be the word I would use, even if he was a Falcao. A waste of time and money would be more appropriate, every penny he would cost and every minute he would play should be put towards other players that will actually be there when we finally get back to the top.

I just don't see that he will be this father figure to the kids, I just don't think that he will settle into the premier league at that age and after 4 years in France. I don't doubt at all that he was fantastic player but I can't see him being any use to us, and I think that people are a little blinded by the name here, just as they were with Bastian last summer.

I also think if the links are true its a little indicative of the disjointed transfer process at the club, that would not be a signing made with a cohesive transfer strategy in place. And mostly I think none of this matters until the managerial situation is sorted out.

• Advertisement

On a different tangent, super rich PSG are right on the cusp of becoming a big club in European terms, why are they not throwing money at Ibrahimovic to stay? Is there some story I have missed or do they simply not think its worth it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

As someone who was absolutely blinded by Schweinsteiger the legend last summer, rather than blinking a couple of times and looking at Schweinsteiger the reality, I can't help but agree with buckety. After four years of strolling the French league and turning 35 this coming October, I can't see Zlatan rising to the physical challenge of the PL. I wouldn't be getting excited over it at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/05/16/david-de-gea-future-at-manchester-united-in-doubt-if-louis-van-g/

As if we need more incentive...DDG is unhappy at missing out on CL football for the second time in three years. Ducker saying that if we got Jose in, he would likely stay, but he would be less likely to should Van Gaal stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

As someone who was absolutely blinded by Schweinsteiger the legend last summer, rather than blinking a couple of times and looking at Schweinsteiger the reality, I can't help but agree with buckety. After four years of strolling the French league and turning 35 this coming October, I can't see Zlatan rising to the physical challenge of the PL. I wouldn't be getting excited over it at all.

LOL he'd be instantly the best striker in the league. Even I'm excited by him joining!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Get excited about Zlatan if you want, but he will be 35 at the start of October, coming into a far faster league for a team that has barely had a functioning attack in nearly three years. And even thats assuming that Van Gaal won't be there to **** him up. No, I wouldn't put too much faith in Zlatan to be honest, and thats not being negative, its being realistic. He's only a few months younger than Gerrard for gods sake, would anybody suggest signing him?

If Ibra scores 8 PL goals he'll have contributed more than 29 of the 30 players we've fielded this season, that is the stark reality. I'd fancy Ibra to get double that.

If the next manager wants Zlatan I'm fully behind him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Wasn't Zlatan man of the match about a month or so back when psg beat Chelsea at the bridge?

The man would definitely add something to the squad short term. Thats the main difference between someone like him and falcao or schweinsteiger who both had fitness question marks over them when they joined united.

Ibra was doing it at the top level this season in the champions league, a competition united are currently not good enough to qualify for. We should be delighted he's joining.

Also he can take some of the pressure off Rashford for the next season or so giving Rashford a chance to develop at his own pace and time without us all looking for him to lead our attack on his own so early in his career.

I think we have to be careful with him and not put too much pressure on his shoulders so soon. A couple of months ago he was an unknown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

This is the dude responsible for the fake bomb left behind!!!

https://www.facebook.com/skynews/videos/1348299925184601/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

bangkok wrote: »
    which stadium? Stade de France was outside the ground.

Same thing, it was meant to be inside, you know what I meant

Would you rather wait until one does happen inside before searching places where bombs would be planted?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Ibra isn't slower than Giroud and Giroud scored 16 league goals in 26 games.
    Charlie Austin scored 18 goals last season.
    Bony is not super quick but scored many goals playing for Swansea.
    How fast was Dzeko? Scored loads.
    Rickie Lambert who is slower than Snail scored many goals for Southampton.
    Mata who is slower than most players in the league scored and assisted loads when the set up was proper.
    Berbatov playing for Fulham scored 15 goals.
    Michu scored 18

If we set up properly to suit the strikers then he will score goals. Won't happen with Van Gaal in charge though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Would have no problem if De Gea wanted to leave.

He too good for us. Hopefully Jose would want him and convince him stay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,370 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Would have no problem if De Gea wanted to leave.

He too good for us. Hopefully Jose would want him and convince him stay
    well the rumour is he will look to leave if LVG is still boss but happy to stay if Mourinho is.

Couldn't blame the guy at all - will do nothing under LVG, deserves better. I would imagine there would be a few other players looking to leave if LVG is still boss. Herrera for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I wouldnt blame any player in leaving the club this summer if LVG stays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

If the players, who are being paid, are not willing to stay, makes you wonder why any fans should bother hanging around to watch another year of that dross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Day 1 jersey for me if he signs for us.

Its the hope that kills ye lads.........

*Ibra signs for Guangzhou Evergrande

That hasnt happened yet but you never know like.

It'll cost a fortune on letters though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

8-10 wrote: »
    LOL he'd be instantly the best striker in the league. Even I'm excited by him joining!

Aguero.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Kirby wrote: »
    Aguero.

With Ronaldo possibly going to PSG and the uncertainty with benzima, could see aguero going to Madrid regardless of playing for atletico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

City will never sell Aguero. It wont happen. I say this every single summer when somebody floats the idea.

I could potentially see him going if he gets a career stopping injury in the future or if his contract runs down but City dont need the money and they know what they have. They wont sell.

paulbok wrote: »

The United Megastore have a flat price for names/numbers now, IIRC.

paulbok wrote: »

God is only 3 letters???

jayo26 wrote: »
    God is only 3 letters???

And that would be Cantona. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

agree with the earlier post on Ibrahimovic.. People are thinking more about the name rather than what he can bring to the team. all well and good scoring a hat trick against Troyes or Guingamp but just look at his performance v Man City this season. totally non existenent, game passed him by. Premier league is way to fast for him, we are in one of the worst periods of the last 20 years, we need players who will work hard for the team, he is not one of those players

• Advertisement

And that would be Cantona. :mad:

Haha that's actually true ;) I was thinking more along the line of Ibrahimovic been a self styled god but yeh king and God are taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

bangkok wrote: »
    agree with the earlier post on Ibrahimovic.. People are thinking more about the name rather than what he can bring to the team. all well and good scoring a hat trick against Troyes or Guingamp but just look at his performance v Man City this season. totally non existenent, game passed him by. Premier league is way to fast for him, we are in one of the worst periods of the last 20 years, we need players who will work hard for the team, he is not one of those players

I'm more concerned about the lack of speed up front. Having him leading the line would make it even slower then any current frontline we could put out.

If Woodward continues to sign players like mata, to make himself look good it might just happen.

Ibrahimovic up front with Martial off the left and Rashford or a new signing like Greizmann (ideal signing, imo) would have enough ability and pace up front. Put a decent midfield behind it (Schneiderlin, Herrera and a new quality signing) and I would be confident in their ability to score.

As I have said before, my opinion on the possible signing of Ibrahimovic would be dependent on the context given to it by other signings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

anyway, enough Ibrahimovic talk, we need to get a manager sorted first before we can talk about any players. I even see de Gea is threatening to leave this summer if van gaal stays so he needs to go asap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Agree with Bangkok - can't get excited about a single signing until the manager situation is confirmed. Personally I'd bet the house VG will be there next season and if so then so be it (a very painful and extremely boring "it") but at least we could settle down and think about what needs to be done.

Zlatan would be a waste in my mind. He'd bring f*ck all and probably stunt Rashford and Martials growth as everything would have to revolve around him.

Would much rather see us pursue the strategy that brought Martial in and look to outstanding younger talent if VG is to stay than paying for players who, if they could go elsewhere, would. Another summer of Ramos, Vidal etc is not needed.

The exception to the above is a CB. We need an established one. Thankfully we're free of thinking Ramos, Hummels etc will join us but there's plenty out there better than what we have as Spurs and Southampton have shown this year. Still think Stones is worth going for but whoever it is we need a CB who can actually play football when in possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Coat22 wrote: »
    ...whoever it is we need a CB who can actually play football when in possession.

I'd be happy enough with a complete donkey on the ball if he could defend a set piece and provide some leadership at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Zlatan would be a waste in my mind. He'd bring f*ck all and probably stunt Rashford and Martials growth as everything would have to revolve around him.

I cannot agree that bringing in a new striker who the team would have to revolve around would be a bad thing right now. We are badly missing a top level goal scorer, and one needs to be added to the team.

Martial looks like he is making the left wing his own, and given how he is doing so well there, I'd be happy to see him out there, playing the Neymar/Ronaldo goalscoring winger/inside forward role. Rashford is far, far too young and inexperienced to be turning down any player in favour of his "developement". At his age, development would be being a strong backup player who doesn't have that much pressure put on his shoulders.

This summer, be it Zlatan or someone else, we desperately need a new striker ready to have the weight of a top tier club rested on their shoulders. Zlatan will love that. Rashford has barely played 20 games and has only looked good in half of them. If his development is a concern, then a player to take the focus and pressure OFF of Rashford is needed. Zlatan, as a short term option in that manner, would be perfect. It would also protect the club in case Rashford is this year's Januzaj; looks good to start off with but never develops further.

Zlatan with Martial one side and a new RW the other would be one of the best strike forces next season imo. I'd have no trouble seeing us scoring goals for fun with the addition of a top level RW player to those two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

I cannot agree that bringing in a new striker who the team would have to revolve around would be a bad thing right now. We are badly missing a top level goal scorer, and one needs to be added to the team.

Martial looks like he is making the left wing his own, and given how he is doing so well there, I'd be happy to see him out there, playing the Neymar/Ronaldo goalscoring winger/inside forward role. Rashford is far, far too young and inexperienced to be turning down any player in favour of his "developement". At his age, development would be being a strong backup player who doesn't have that much pressure put on his shoulders.

This summer, be it Zlatan or someone else, we desperately need a new striker ready to have the weight of a top tier club rested on their shoulders. Zlatan will love that. Rashford has barely played 20 games and has only looked good in half of them. If his development is a concern, then a player to take the focus and pressure OFF of Rashford is needed. Zlatan, as a short term option in that manner, would be perfect. It would also protect the club in case Rashford is this year's Januzaj; looks good to start off with but never develops further.

Zlatan with Martial one side and a new RW the other would be one of the best strike forces next season imo. I'd have no trouble seeing us scoring goals for fun with the addition of a top level RW player to those two.

I think you've got me wrong there - I too believe we need a top goal scorer to take the pressure off Rashford (who I think should be a rotation player at this stage) but I think ZI would be the wrong personality to bring in. It would be all about him, he'd get in a snot if he someone else was given a game ahead of him or God forbid he was subbed for someone like Rashford.

• Advertisement

This summer, be it Zlatan or someone else, we desperately need a new striker ready to have the weight of a top tier club rested on their shoulders.

But we would be putting the weight of a top tier club on the shoulders of a 35 year old who has never played in this league. How is that a good decision?

I don't disagree about what we need in terms of a striker, but we have lots of money and all summer long to address that need properly, we don't need to take a punt on a 35 year old, no matter who it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Let's just buy Chico back :D:D

Should never have been sold in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

I know United would offer pot loads of cash but what would really be the draw of Ibra going there for one year.

Surely he would want to go to a team in the Champions League?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

But we would be putting the weight of a top tier club on the shoulders of a 35 year old who has never played in this league. How is that a good decision?

I don't disagree about what we need in terms of a striker, but we have lots of money and all summer long to address that need properly, we don't need to take a punt on a 35 year old, no matter who it is.

Ibrahimovic has carried big clubs expectations on his shoulders since he first moved to Ajax, and has had no trouble with it. And he has always met those expectations.

This is a winner, a big character with big experience. A game never build on pace, he is strong, lethal finisher, incredible technique and a brilliant all round striker.

His injury track record is pretty good, keeps himself in incredible shape, and I see no reason why the club should not try to get him. Two seasons out of him would be a privilege for me.

Would also allow Rashford to remain with the squad and getting some game time, allowing his development to continue.

If we could get rid of Rooney we could afford to bring in Zlatan at no real net cost.

Given the choice, which one of them would people take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

• Advertisement

We may have a lot of money but we also need a lot of new talent, sadly. If we have, for example, 150m to spend this summer, and Ibra's signing lets us proportion more of that towards a right winger or a CB, I'm happy enough with that. But if we go and pay 80m for a Higuian or a Cavani, it means we have less to spend elsewhere too.

For me, it's really not a punt. Near 40 goals scored in one season, even if its the French league, is a no brainer imo. He fits what we need right now. This summer really needs to be about a big boost in the short term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Leroy42 wrote: »
    If we could get rid of Rooney we could afford to bring in Zlatan at no real net cost.

Given the choice, which one of them would people take?

Neither. Both are too expensive, Ibra is too old and Rooney is on the way down. Sell Rooney now while he's worth something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

NUTZZ wrote: »

True story
    How many players do we have going
    England - Mike Smalling, Wazza and rashers
    Spain - Big Dave
    France - Tony Marshall
    Belgium - Bangkok's bestie
    Norn Ireland - Paddy Macnair
    Italy - Darmian (or is he injured)

That's 8 players from a Manchester united squad....
    That's a disgrace

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Neither. Both are too expensive, Ibra is too old and Rooney is on the way down. Sell Rooney now while he's worth something.

Yeah, there is always that option all right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

brinty wrote: »
    True story
    How many players do we have going
    England - Mike Smalling, Wazza and rashers
    Spain - Big Dave
    France - Tony Marshall
    Belgium - Bangkok's bestie
    Norn Ireland - Paddy Macnair
    Italy - Darmian (or is he injured)

That's 8 players from a Manchester united squad....
    That's a disgrace

Darmian supposed to be fit for cup final. I'm not sure if he has been selected though.

There was a time when we had 15-16 players going

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement