Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Drumpot wrote: »
    What young players have regressed since he joined ? One maybe ? What young players have improved or played well for the first team ?

Throwing the question back at me isn't backing up anything. You claim young players are thriving under Van Gaal but the only way that is true is if you believe giving kids debuts is the same as player development.

Who is thriving under Van Gaal? Actually look objectively at the question of players "thriving" and you will see that not all is as it seems when it comes to Van Gaal and his great youth development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Harsh on Carrick. Been a class act for us over the years.

Liability this year imo. Lost many games for us with stupid misyakes over the years, one with Toure against City i can never get out of my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Drumpot wrote: »
    Blah blah blah, very compelling argument. Good way of saying "well I cant really answer that so I will instead use a smart comment". yay, sarcasm avoidance strategy implemented.

So what top teams in England have improved this season ? Everybody has declined, but United are on course to pretty much match what they did last season. It actually looks like United will have the best season on season comparison in comparison to the teams who finished alongside them in the top 4 last season.

You want the manager who was sacked by mid table chelsea to take over United. . You don't see the irony in this view ? He left that club in tatters after burning every bridge.

I countered your landscape point in the paragraph/line immediately after I called it BS, so hop down off your high horse there bud. I avoided nothing so how about you apologise for that. I'll say it again - Uniteds performances and results this season are crap because they are crap. Are you honestly trying to argue that losing at home to NORWICH was because the football landscape shifted? Or is it because the United side played rubbish in that game, and many others?

I had said in the summer Mourinho wouldn't the season because Roman and his people had turned it sour at Chelsea again (like they did first time around). They got him none of the defensive targets he wanted, none of the midfield targets he wanted and foisted an unwanted Pedro on him - all the stuff that made him want to leave the first time around and was promised wouldn't happen this time.

I was surprise at just how badly it went, but I don't see why we have to consider that will be it for Jose. He proved himself a winner at Chelsea, Inter, Real and Porto.

Also - as for other clubs performances....

Widespread calls for Wenger to step down.
    City ARE changing their manager.
    Chelsea ARE changing their manager.
    Liverpool DID change their manager.

Yet United should keep their underperforming manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

akelly02 wrote: »
    Liability this year imo. Lost many games for us with stupid misyakes over the years, one with Toure against City i can never get out of my head

Id agree carrick has been a great servant but its time to move on. Been very poor at times over this season but most of its down to age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Ryan Giggs is a United legend, but if he gets the job to manage United then the club is in serious, serious trouble.

sky88 wrote: »
    Id agree carrick has been a great servant but its time to move on. Been very poor at times over this season but most of its down to age.

We need energy and creativity, ha cant offer that. Schneiderlin has dissapointed me aswell this season to be honest aswell, thought he was going to be a great signing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

akelly02 wrote: »

what about the goal line saving tackle on Bony?? class player through out his united career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Ryan Giggs is a United legend, but if he gets the job to manage United then the club is in serious, serious trouble.

All we need to do is look at the likes of AC Milan to see what we might become if sh1t isn't sorted out properly.Once they were the envy of World football and due to terrible mismanagement at board and pitch level they have descended into midtable mediocrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

sky88 wrote: »
    I think people forget that pep was the manager of the b team for barca. this isn't like managing the reserves in england they are in the second or third division so he had experience. Zidane too had this and i think it helped them greatly.

Giggs coming from being an assistant coach who no one really knows how much input he has other then scouting the opposition. I dont think he has too much control over transfers or who plays. I think if he did wellbeck or hernandez would still be there for example.

Giggs would be a huge huge risk.

Also on the young players yes LVG hasnt been afriad to play them but he hasnt shown faith in them except for Martial, rashford and lingard.

I agree that Giggs is a huge risk and I am not promoting the idea necessarily, but trying to offer a reason why the club might support LVG. I support the strategy, if indeed it is the plan. If I am incorrect, then it looks as though the club has NO coherent plan whatsoever. That worries me more then simply sacking LVG.

I think its fair to say that whatever decision is taken in the summer will be a risk. Hiring Jose will not guarantee success and could easily go wrong if he hasn't recovered from what happened at Chelsea. I am not convinced it was all Roman because Jose has fallen out with other clubs he left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think it's obvious that the plan was LVG for 3 years then Giggs but the plan failed catastrophically when Van Gaal couldn't build a team or get the team playing well.

There was a plan, it failed. Like Moyes plan failed. Now we need something as close to a sure thing as we can get. Mourinho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

It's great that LVG has given nearly every youth player at the club their debut and while most will never be seen again he'll always be credited with blooding the one or two that hopefully go on to have great careers. However even this looks like he's just throwing players in and hoping for the best rather than methodically planning the development of a team.

The development of young players is pointless if we're not successful unless we want to become a nursery club to teams willing to spend money to succeed. There has to be a balance and I'd be just as disappointed with the next manager if they went too far the other way and neglected to bring through young players in favour of off-the-shelf recruits.

Korat wrote: »
    It's great that LVG has given nearly every youth player at the club their debut and while most will never be seen again he'll always be credited with blooding the one or two that hopefully go on to have great careers. However even this looks like he's just throwing players in and hoping for the best rather than methodically planning the development of a team.

The development of young players is pointless if we're not successful unless we want to become a nursery club to teams willing to spend money to succeed. There has to be a balance and I'd be just as disappointed with the next manager if they went too far the other way and neglected to bring through young players in favour of off-the-shelf recruits.

I think the whole giving youth a chance has been overplayed,his hand was forced due to his culling of the squad and the injuries to key players.He had no choice but to play kids and fair play to those fellas that made themselves virtually undroppable.Only for them stepping up, the team would be in dire straits.It was more an accident than an act of genius that has the likes of Rashford etc. in the team.
    Look at what happened Saturday when Martial was injured,we ended up with Rooney as the only recognised striker in the squad and he moaned about having to play as a CF.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So the rumour is United will in two payments pay a total of €80 million for Renato Sanches.
    Also linked with Rafa Silva who can play on either wing or as an attacking midfielder.

While Rafael is said to be wanted by West Ham.

RobertKK wrote: »
    So the rumour is United will in two payments pay a total of €80 million for Renato Sanches.
    Also linked with Rafa Silva who can play on either wing or as an attacking midfielder.

While Rafael is said to be wanted by West Ham.

Arsenal playmaker Mesut Ozil could be preparing to make a sensational move to Premier League rivals Manchester United, according to Tutto Mercato Web.

Italian media claim the German attacking midfielder will be a key target for Jose Mourinho should he take charge at Old Trafford from Louis van Gaal in the upcoming off-season.http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/11562/transfer-talk/2016/05/09/23301132/-

If you want to look at the impact of Van Gaal on young players ask yourself this, is Anthony Martial a better player today than he was last September?

• Advertisement

If you want to look at the impact of Van Gaal on young players ask yourself this, is Anthony Martial a better player today than he was last September?

I'm more concerned with his impact on the team as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Martial has improved, but that's down to him getting games, older etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I think he is due to getting games.

I dont think he was supposed to be the only striker we were planning on bring in.

IT was only luck that Rashford hit the ground running.

United should never be in this position.

It was Woodward and LVG who created this mess.

United have the Financials to have a PL Team, CL team and an FA Cup team.

SAF did it for years with less money available.

zerks wrote: »
    Arsenal playmaker Mesut Ozil could be preparing to make a sensational move to Premier League rivals Manchester United, according to Tutto Mercato Web.

Italian media claim the German attacking midfielder will be a key target for Jose Mourinho should he take charge at Old Trafford from Louis van Gaal in the upcoming off-season.http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/11562/transfer-talk/2016/05/09/23301132/-

please god no, cant stand him!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

It's saddening to know that even if Utd spend money in the Summer, with a new manager, it's unlikely they'll win the league.

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »

It's an odd story considering Jose considers him lazy and unwilling to help out defensively when needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Martial is at United 8 months. He has been our best outfield player this season and was relatively unknown when he signed. He's been consistently good all season. Hard to argue he hasn't done well under van Gaal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

It's saddening to know that even if Utd spend money in the Summer, with a new manager, it's unlikely they'll win the league.

I don't think this is true. Lots of teams in rebuild mode next year and it remains to be seen where Spurs and Leicester go from here.

If we get it right, we have as good a chance as the other 3/4 teams who'll be in the hunt.

I don't see why - Leicster won it this season, why can't United with the right players and a competent manager win it next season?

There will be Tottenham, Arsenal, City, Chelsea and Liverpool to worry about, imo (not having Leicster doing it again!) but I think a United side set up correctly with a few good signings should be able to go toe to toe with all of them, and better them. Man for man I don't find that Spurs side all that impressive - though I do like some of their players - Arsenal will likely Arsenal it, City could have a big rebuild and adjustment on their hands too, same at Chelsea.

Hard to argue he hasn't done well under van Gaal.

That wasn't the question.

I don't think thats true at all, our squad isn't perfect but there is certainly potential there. I can see another manager getting a lot more from that team, perhaps even enough for a good title challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Good, because there's not a chance of you lot getting him.
    zerks wrote: »
    It's an odd story considering Jose considers him lazy and unwilling to help out defensively when needed.
    Citation needed? Everything I've heard from Mourinho is that he loved Ozil at Madrid.

Just a change in Manager can win you the league.

As we've just witnessed, Its not about having Multi million pound players.

Good, because there's not a chance of you lot getting him.

why is there no chance? Ye sold us yer club captain a few years ago and he fired us to the title :P

why is there no chance? Ye sold us yer club captain a few years ago and he fired us to the title :P
    Fool me once etc :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

It's more than just the squad and manager, it's the current mentality of the entire club. I don't see a club full of winners.

It's more than just the squad and manager, it's the current mentality of the entire club. I don't see a club full of winners.

And the manager is a cheerleader of that.

The fans expectations are too high and 4th place would be a good season.:mad:

Leicester City came 14th Last season

Do you think they started this season with a club full of Winners and a winning mentality?

They were 2 wins away from Relegation.

If you have a Good team, A Manager who uses logic when filling out the team sheet then you could out smart all your opponents.

Van Gaals logic for the first season was to get the team passing the ball.

Most of his second season was to keep position.

We are still waiting on part 3 which would be to Shoot.

I would prefer a Manager who can do all this in Pre-season and Actually spend the next 3 years playing football

That wasn't the question.

If I was answering a question I'd have quoted it. I seen people discussing how Martial was doing.

If I was answering a question I'd have quoted it. I seen people discussing how Martial was doing.

Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your conversation with yourself.

Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your conversation with yourself.

Apology accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

Is Martial out for tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

xtal191 wrote: »
    Is Martial out for tomorrow?

I dont think there has been any update but id imagine there is a greater chance of him not been fit.

• Advertisement

Fool me once etc :P

They didn't practice that with city been more like fool me over and over.

jayo26 wrote: »
    They didn't practice that with city been more like fool me over and over.
    Selling Adebayor, Nasri for 25m each....I think the fools are in the other court for those!

Selling Adebayor, Nasri for 25m each....I think the fools are in the other court for those!

I would of thought Nasir was a decent deal he was your best player that season and while he hasn't been a world class edition to city he has been a fairly solid member of the squad for a number of years And I think adebayor was worth 25 million for that goal and celebration alone :)

no Martial for tomorrow night :(:(:(

balls...whats the injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Fecccccckkkkkkkk sake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

I'm sorry guys. I tripled captained him in FF this week :o:( That's a bummer, hope it's nothing serious...

Rooney better get liking the idea of playing striker tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I'm sorry guys. I tripled captained him in FF this week :o:( That's a bummer, hope it's nothing serious...

Rooney better get liking the idea of playing striker tomorrow.

Rashford will play there and Rooney will drop back I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

The lack of creativity without Martial is shocking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Martial is at United 8 months. He has been our best outfield player this season and was relatively unknown when he signed. He's been consistently good all season. Hard to argue he hasn't done well under van Gaal.

That wasn't the point made, has he improved under LVG was ?

Edit: your arguing with yourself, nevermind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Rashford will play there and Rooney will drop back I'd imagine.

Hope so as Rooney wasn't great on Sat (even though he assisted Mata's goal). Maybe he was just in the mindframe and had prepared to play midfield.

Hopefully Rashford is back and gives West Ham defenders the runaround. I would also like to see Memphis get his head in the game but it's a bit late in the day now. I wasn't confident before but even less so now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement